did i go overboard with the html on this page?

You found some great images, and it looks like you had a tough time deciding which to use, so you used them all. Personally, I'd like to see a little more restraint on it, but it is a fun page.

I don't know about other paperless systems, but the macro that dumps to my Nuvi does not include graphics.

The page looks good to me and I don't think that you used too many images. I hope you have recovered from the stings.

I also use a Nuvi and get no graphics in the downloads. It is only a problem when I need the graphics to make the find, as in when they are part of a puzzle cache.

yah, thats exactly what happened.

what does it do with the space where there was an html image? do you just get a jumbled mess? does it just show the code rather than the image?

When the images are skipped, it doesn't leave any space. I think it may leave a blank line, like between paragraphs.

If it were my cache page, I'd go with just the one of the guy's head covered with bees. That's a great picture, much stronger than the other two, IMO. I'd also leave out the disclaimer about offending anybody with it.

I don't know if there's something bee-related about the physical cache, or not, but perhaps you can use those other pictures in a series of bee-related caches?

I took two of the three images out, for a few reasons,

so when people send the page to their gps, they dont see a whole bunch of html txt, since its not terribly important to have images on the page.

Im keeping one, because like the dog with glasses said, its pretty ridiculous. and i like it.

I want some color on an otherwise drab olive green and brown cache page, what can i say, i was always a bigger fan of myspace than facebook,

I guess you got rid of some "pictures" But I see no HTML added really. I do HTML on a lot of my pages, and its a lot more then that.

Most units do not upload the html, or do not display it.

Paperless systems already take into account that there could be HTML on cache pages. You should decorate your cache pages as much as you want.

For instance I put a bit of history info on this one.. GC1J2C1

Or simple like this one... GC29P54

Those have HTML more then just an IMG or P tag. Mostly tables , IMG tags and font tags.

Poor ashnikes. Not only is his shift key broken he just can't find a way to make everyone happy.
Well, if you had just left well enough alone. But noooooo.... somebody had to say they liked it best with ALL the pictures.

This should help.

:)

Dry the glasses gently with a soft cotton towel or chamois. There's my problem. I guess yesterday's dirty sock isn't sufficient.

No matter though... I see that he's put the single image version back now. Thanks, Ashnike!!

Edited by knowschad
I'd also leave out the disclaimer about offending anybody with it.

What's with this latest kick of obsessive use of disclaimers anyway?? Don't you all know that they're technically meaningless and add no protection to you from litigation? I see them here a lot too from a couple of people and aside from "maybe" adding context to something that was "meant" to be intended as a joke, they serve no purpose. Use emoticons instead. :)

there is a lot going on on that cache page sure, but it is all very subtle colors, easy on the eyes, and the images help to break up the tons of txt.

I dont think it is too much,

and i think i liked the dogs advice, and will change the page back to just one image, cause the three of them are anoying or at least ill compromise and take the baby out. cause i dont like that one as much.

Edited by ashnikes

Its possible,

I could have taken this image into photoshop, and cropped the names off the images, but then it really would have been an issue,

this way the name of the image owner is still attached ot the image and credit is given.

course there is no profit being made off this image, (save for Groundspeak putting ads on the cache page) but I personally am not making any money off the image, so I do not see it being an issue.

Poor ashnikes. Not only is his shift key broken he just can't find a way to make everyone happy.
Well, if you had just left well enough alone. But noooooo.... somebody had to say they liked it best with ALL the pictures.

This should help.

:)

Dry the glasses gently with a soft cotton towel or chamois. There's my problem. I guess yesterday's dirty sock isn't sufficient.

No matter though... I see that he's put the single image version back now. Thanks, Ashnike!!

Actually I ran into trouble with those instructions. The part they left out that would have saved me much ocular discomfort was "Remove glasses from your face". Man, that dish soap hurts!

Some people get a little irritated by them - others think it they make the page more interesting - check out some of mine :

Dogs Breakfast

El Georado

I was also wondering if they were over the top - but the joy of caching is that everyone

can do what they want.

any font color in red highlight is bad in my opinion, it is really hard to read, but other than that the dogs breakfast one looks great!

and the second one you listed. el georado looks really cool!

Maybe I'm missing where there's a lot of HTML on the page. I just see some images and some line breaks, but in my mind that's better than overkill foofiness... so I guess it's fine?
That's cause we helped him out. Shoulda seen it this morning. It was a cache page that only GOF's Sock Puppet could appreciate.

That reminds me... I need to create a sock puppet account to get my post count back down there again, too.

Maybe I'm missing where there's a lot of HTML on the page. I just see some images and some line breaks, but in my mind that's better than overkill foofiness... so I guess it's fine?
That's cause we helped him out. Shoulda seen it this morning. It was a cache page that only GOF's Sock Puppet could appreciate.

That reminds me... I need to create a sock puppet account to get my post count back down there again, too.

Oh darn! I missed it then!!! Well, then it looks fine now, and that's good :)

ok ill add the pictures back then....

hang on...

ok its back to the orig.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d8-c156b0df4883

I really preferred it with only the single image. Would you change it back again?

Thanks

Yeah I need another look with just one pic..

Could you add one more picture so we can see what that looks like also? :)

Actually, it looks find as it is. Something that you *might* try to is to reduce the contrast, significantly, for the background images. I find that very bright background images can be distracting. If you reduce the contrast, increase the brightness, and reduce the color saturation you get a background image that is more in the "background".

Its possible,

I could have taken this image into photoshop, and cropped the names off the images, but then it really would have been an issue,

this way the name of the image owner is still attached ot the image and credit is given.

course there is no profit being made off this image, (save for Groundspeak putting ads on the cache page) but I personally am not making any money off the image, so I do not see it being an issue.

It really doesn't matter whether you think it's an issue or not - it's not your image to use.

What does the copyright owner think?

Its possible,

It really doesn't matter whether you think it's an issue or not - it's not your image to use.

What does the copyright owner think?

I think that it is safe to assume that digital images used on Geocache pages would fall under the Fair Use doctrine. If not, there are an awful lot of us in violation, including, from what I see on your cache pages, you. You obtained permission to use all of the images on your cache pages?