Mac Geocaching

I just got a MAC and haven't been able to figure out a good way to upload caches to my gps for paperless caching. I used to use GSAK and upload my pocket queries to that and then send the databases to the GPS. Anybody know of a good program for the MAC that can open the gpx files and send them to the GPS with all the details for paperless? Thanks for the help.

Rainbow Brite

I just got a MAC and haven't been able to figure out a good way to upload caches to my gps for paperless caching. I used to use GSAK and upload my pocket queries to that and then send the databases to the GPS. Anybody know of a good program for the MAC that can open the gpx files and send them to the GPS with all the details for paperless? Thanks for the help.

Rainbow Brite

This depends more on your gps than your operating system. If you want truly paperless, units like the Oregon, Colorado and Dakota don't need another program like GSAK to massage the data first. You just place the file in the relevant place in the gps.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Rainbow Brite

I use MacCaching with my etrex. I dont know how much manipulation you would need and I really dont know how much it does but it works well for what I use it for :)

DeLorme could use a little scrutiny in your research ... Lee Rimar ... has done quite a lot using these devices ... I welcome any and all clarity he can bring to this...
Norm: This is a very poor suggestion and you shouldn't link my name to it.

The OP already has a Garmin Colorado 300*. The Garmin Colorado supports (and has for years) paperless caching simply by copying GPX files to its SD card. I understood the OP's original question as "What GPX management software should I use on the Mac?" rather than "What GPS should I buy?

I would not recommend a DeLorme device to a Mac user who already has a Garmin. Even if they were in the market for a completely new GPS, I'd have a hard time recommending DeLorme to a Mac user simply because Garmin serves that market so much better.

MacCaching, GSAK (under an emulator), GPSBabel (Mac native verson) and probably BaseCamp or Roadtrip (both from Garmin) should satisfy the OP's request.

-Lee

---

* See also: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0&p=3933524

Edited by lee_rimar

Lee :

I'm guilty of reading the post lightly, and taking it at face value, also,

of not doing more in-depth research towards ascertaining the posters

device of choice.

My apologies for bringing you into the fray w/an offhand, off the cuff

response. Better attn. to detail should be the fix, . . . or not.

I'll work harder at that task.

Norm

<edit> above post stricken from record, & this one ammended

Edited by RRLover

Hi - to answer your question, it depends on what GPSr you have. If you have Garmin, you can go and download BaseCamp for free: Free Garmin Mac Apps. :)

Rainbow Brite