Competition to GAGB?

I clicked a link for icache.co.uk and ended up there.........

I would be helpful if they would explain the reasons why they have set it up, given that their published reasons appear unnecessary, there already being an organisation doing exactly what they purport to do.

Rgds, Andy

Their Constitution says

"The funds of the group including all donations, contributions and bequests, shall be manged by the Chair."

Hopefully this is a spelling mistake. :)

manged

/mahnjd/ [probably from the French "manger" or Italian

"mangiare", to eat; perhaps influenced by English "mange",

"mangy"] Refers to anything that is mangled or damaged,

usually beyond repair.

I went to have a look at their forum, but it is only open to registered users. What are they trying to hide?

Most clubs I'm a member of either have public forums or at least some forum topics which can be read by the public.

I only have a finite of time to visit forums, so the better ones take priority.

Their homepage looks good, and if they open up access (even read only) to the forums, I will revisit the site.

I think it like their other sites, a private members club, no loss to me, I am more than happy here and on GAGB.

While I dislike commercial monopolies, I feel that with groups such as this, one is better than two. I can see no advantage for geocaching in general in duplicating the function, and I really would like to know their motives for doing so.

Rgds, Andy

I think it like their other sites, a private members club, no loss to me, I am more than happy here and on GAGB.

Given your previous with the site owner, I expect he is ecstatic with that statement.

While I dislike commercial monopolies, I feel that with groups such as this, one is better than two. I can see no advantage for geocaching in general in duplicating the function, and I really would like to know their motives for doing so.

Rgds, Andy

There is no commercial activity associated with the site (for profit), as far as I can see. If there was only one offer in the world, we'd all be on MS Office, all buy fuel from Shell, and get our caching info from GC or GAGB.

It's called choice. There is a different offer, including information, data, forums, etc. from each site. Ukcachers might feel their site offers more.

Given your previous with the site owner, I expect he is ecstatic with that statement.

Rgds, Andy

There is no commercial activity associated with the site (for profit), as far as I can see. If there was only one offer in the world, we'd all be on MS Office, all buy fuel from Shell, and get our caching info from GC or GAGB.

It's called choice. There is a different offer, including information, data, forums, etc. from each site. Ukcachers might feel their site offers more.

Somebodys saved this SP for a long time :)

Rgds, Andy

oh look a sock puppet

Edited by Munkeh

My fear is that in this case it will become "confusion". Yes choice is good, but when there is already an active group with many contacts and agreements in place, it does seem counter productive to duplicate this effort.

If someone thinks that the aims/achievements of GAGB were not working or good enough, I would like to think that they would step up to help instead of creating a splinter group.

PS: Hiding behind SP accounts merely adds to the impression that there is ill intent and for me at least add to distrust of the new site.

Rgds, Andy

I think you must have misread my post. I already said that I don't like commercial monopolies.

As this is supposed to be non-commercial, the situation is different, and I feel that it is better to have a single organisation to represent cachers in this country.

Your post seems to place the major importance on the web site. The web site is almost incidental. The main importance of GAGB is as the voice of geocachers in this country.

Rgds, Andy

I am not sure why the UKcachers leaders felt a need to represent the UK caching community, I do not know their motives or the background history. It would be useful if they expressed the reasons for creating a new organisation.

Regardless, I think it is a bad idea to have two national representations. It will be confusing for MLOs and government bodies to relate to the UK caching community. If we do not set common standards and representation, this will make it more difficult to be accepted by the general public. We will be the ones loosing out when there are complaints about the activity.

I am not sure why the UKcachers leaders felt a need to represent the UK caching community, I do not know their motives or the background history. It would be useful if they expressed the reasons for creating a new organisation.

Regardless, I think it is a bad idea to have two national representations. It will be confusing for MLOs and government bodies to relate to the UK caching community. If we do not set common standards and representation, this will make it more difficult to be accepted by the general public. We will be the ones loosing out when there are complaints about the activity.

UK Cachers & emacache & the now defunct icache are all owned by the same person. A search of the the site owners request for all details of his membership of the GAGB to be removed, and also the angst behind the demise of icache. Will provide all the background.

Oh and the Santa is DEAD account, is a Sock account of one of the Site Admins for all 3 sites.

And sorry but how can a closed site (your membership has to be approved by a site admin) be a National Representative of the Geocaching Community. When both emcache and icache actively blocked some members of that community from joining?

Dave

(Mancunian Pyrocacher is the Finder Account for Deceangi UK Reviewer)

And sorry but how can a closed site (your membership has to be approved by a site admin) be a National Representative of the Geocaching Community. When both emcache and icache actively blocked some members of that community from joining?

Dave

If you had researched the details beforehand you would be aware that we had noticed comments about the forum being closed to non-members.

Assuming no objections are raised by the current membership the forums on UK Cachers will be available for all to view from midnight tonight.

Edited by UK Cachers

Does that include all the people you banned from both emcache and icache? And would you care to confirm that those people are extremly welcome to join if they so wish?

And why would the current Membership object to the site being open to all. You claimed to represent all the community from the start?

And in the interest of research the Santa_is_DEAD account is a Sock for uk89camaro (Site admin for emcache/icache and UK Geocachers) . Care to put your real name and Prmary caching name at the bottom of your posts?

Dave

Does that include all the people you banned from both emcache and icache? And would you care to confirm that those people are extremly welcome to join if they so wish?

And why would the current Membership object to the site being open to all. You claimed to represent all the community from the start?

And in the interest of research the Santa_is_DEAD account is a Sock for uk89camaro (Site admin for emcache/icache and UK Geocachers) . Care to put your real name and Prmary caching name at the bottom of your posts?

Dave

AFAIK anyone is welcome to join.

Nobody has objected, that's the point. So anyone is free to view your tirade of abuse you posted.

Most people who know me would feel I don't need to hide in a sock, or on Facebook.

Most people who know me would feel I don't need to hide in a sock, or on Facebook.

So why use an alternative user name and not stand by the caching name that everyone knows you by?

So why don't you and your mates post your facebook vitriol here?.....

I'm not even going to give you the time of day to justify myself in any way shape or form. You're just a part time business who didn't get enough commercial exposure on the emcache sites, and threw a hissy fit over a thread you started that attacked a reviewer for asking you to move a cache....a thread in which I supported the reviewer..(please take note DC)....

Edited by Santa_is_DEAD

Dave

If you had researched the details beforehand you would be aware that we had noticed comments about the forum being closed to non-members.

Assuming no objections are raised by the current membership the forums on UK Cachers will be available for all to view from midnight tonight.

Dave

Nobody has objected, that's the point. So anyone is free to view your tirade of abuse you posted.

So why use an alternative user name and not stand by the caching name that everyone knows you by?

So why don't you and your mates post your facebook vitriol here?.....

I'm not even going to give you the time of day to justify myself in any way shape or form. You're just a part time business who didn't get enough commercial exposure on the emcache sites, and threw a hissy fit over a thread you started that attacked a reviewer for asking you to move a cache....a thread in which I supported the reviewer..(please take note DC)....

someone please lock this thread, it's even more sad then my team losing to Spain.

thanks.

Dave

thats funny statement considering you are hiding behind a sock puppet account in order to hide the fact that you feel that you canot post your views under your own caching name web rat

why would anyone use a organisation when the person who set it up is breeding miss trust in the community by trying to appear to be someone else Yet again you have failed to figure out that your own actions are generally the cause of your own or your site problems

Edited by Munkeh

Dave

thats funny statement considering you are hiding behind a sock puppet account in order to hide the fact that you feel that you canot post your views under your own caching name web rat

why would anyone use a organisation when the person who set it up is breeding miss trust in the community by trying to appear to be someone else Yet again you have failed to figure out that your own actions are generally the cause of your own or your site problems

I thought SiD had been outed as uk89camaro rather than web rat?

A quote from the constitution:

Furthermore, we will aim to discourage the placement of caches which are detrimental to Geocaching and to the way it is perceived, for example, where a hide could cause damage to the nearby area. Another example is where the hide could be judged by some as litter, a film canister placed in a rubbish strewn lay-by could be one such hide.

Now I have no love of some of these type of caches, but how can you fully represent UK cachers when part of your stated aims is to discourage legitimate caches?

Seems like you only wish to represent UK cachers that agree with you...