Harney Peak

owlsent

We're heading to the Black Hills in a few days. I'd love to hike to Harney Peak, the descriptions I've encountered say it's a moderate hike. Looking for a bit more info, I'm traveling with a 9 year old and a 2 year old. Would the 9 year old be able to make it? Are there spots next to big drop offs?

Are there other trails nearby that are really neat and maybe a bit easier?

Moderate hike is the best description. We hiked it a few weeks back with 14 people in our group, to include my 15 and 9 y/o's. So, they 9 y/o would be just fine. There is a few big drops, but as long as everyone basically sticks together it isnt an issue. Just be mindful of them once up near the fire tower as there are more drops up there. Of course there are other nice trails out here to enjoy, but if you are here, hike Harney, do the Earthcache up there and enjoy the hike. From the Sylvan trail head was roughly 7.2 miles. Make sure you have plenty of water (Camelbak), and there are no "official" bathrooms once you leave Sylvan. Total hike time is roughly 5 hrs. Hope this info helps.