Is it against the rules?

JESS-n-JAMES

While ordering some cool swag online, we came across this really cool coin maker so we ordered 5. We are going to have our Geocaching name on them, as well as a # 1-5. We were hoping to leave instructions with them to message us where you found one of our coins and then we we will post it publicly in our profile. We found a paper-made coin similar to that, so we thought it would be okay.

But I just wanted to check with the community to see if that's breaking any rules! I OF COURSE don't want to do anything illegal here! :laughing:

This has probably been done a million times, but we just wanted to ask! Thanks!

Edited by JESS-n-JAMES

You can certainly leave personal coins in geocaches. Many people have their own traveling items that are not trackable through Groundspeak. It may be more of a gamble about whether they get "logged" or simply disappear, so keep that in mind, but feel free to put them in caches with a note explaining that they are meant to be moved. Then hope for the best.

Edited by mulvaney

While ordering some cool swag online, we came across this really cool coin maker so we ordered 5. We are going to have our Geocaching name on them, as well as a # 1-5. We were hoping to leave instructions with them to message us where you found one of our coins and then we we will post it publicly in our profile. We found a paper-made coin similar to that, so we thought it would be okay.

But I just wanted to check with the community to see if that's breaking any rules! I OF COURSE don't want to do anything illegal here! :laughing:

This has probably been done a million times, but we just wanted to ask! Thanks!

Personalized items like you're describing are called "sig items" or signature items. There's nothing wrong with doing that. You should just know that you won't be able to track them via Geocaching.com though. You can set up your own web page to let the finders track them that way. We do something very similar and while compliance isn't 100%, we do get quite a few people telling us where they find them and so on. Good luck and have fun with it!

Of course you could buy a standard travel bug and put it's number onto your own coin.

I like this idea but being relatively new I wonder if that would not be frowned upon somehow. It's a little of an alteration on the Tb itself

As long as its your travel bug tag number, I think you could use it how you please. I don't know of any rule that forbids you to alter a TB or to use the number on another item.

You can also attach anything you like to a travel bug tag as long (as long as it is your tag). And there are" trackable geocoins" that have been designed to act as travel bugs, with chains to attach items, since people will often be more interested in moving coins for the icons, rather standard tbs. I have a trackabulldog from the UK that works like that, but have seen others (including a Travel Pirate that I need to move on). These are trackable through Groundspeak, have a geocoin type of icon, and you can attach a personal item to it -- so for some its a "win/win" situation.. Since the OP already has a personal coin, he or she could drill through it, attach it to something trackable and be good to go.

Edited by mulvaney

I've always though about an option from Groundspeak to obtain a Trackable number for use on whatever item you choose. Obviously this opens up the chance of a loss a lot more since most trackable items are very recognizable but it still seems there is a want for it in the community.

Of course you could buy a standard travel bug and put it's number onto your own coin.

The only thing with buying a standard travel bug is: You can only use the number for one item. The original poster would need to buy (5) travel bug numbers. One for each of his/her coins.