Jerk destroying caches

The only way any one knew was that this person always signed the log saying "I peed in this".

Im sorry but this made me laugh pretty hard. Im sure it wouldn't be as funny if it were to happen to my hides, but I just found it funny that someone would actually write that.

I wonder if the cacher's name happened to be I. P. Dinthis?

Jerks will come, and jerks will go.

Nothing to get overly excited about.

If a big storm comes through and floods out the area (washing away several caches), is there a big hue and cry raised about 'The Big Storm', and how to deal with it?

NO.

The storm comes.

The willow bends.

The storm passes.

The willow remains.

Bend, like the willow.

If a big storm comes through and floods out the area (washing away several caches), is there a big hue and cry raised about 'The Big Storm', and how to deal with it?

NO.

The storm comes.

The willow bends.

The storm passes.

The willow remains.

Bend, like the willow.

I agree Zen master.

or as Bruce Lee used to say "be the water"

NO.

The storm comes.

The willow bends.

The storm passes.

The willow remains.

Bend, like the willow.

If you had said this in the 60's, you could have had, like, a cult following, dude! Mind bending!! :) Edited by knowschad

You can't block them, because Geocaching accounts are free. Just try to ignore it.

Not true. If the person continuously does this, they can block his IP and MAC address. there are still ways around that, but by that time it will sure ruin the fun.

I almost don't want to reply because I don't want to add to his 'fame', but...

COs should delete his logs

Continually replace the caches as soon as you can

Don't mention his name anywhere either in the cache logs and especially in the forums.

Even putting 'Down with Destroyer' in the logs gives him the attention that he is looking for. Get rid of all of that - when he receives no attention for his crimes, it will end.

The only way any one knew was that this person always signed the log saying "I peed in this".

Im sorry but this made me laugh pretty hard. Im sure it wouldn't be as funny if it were to happen to my hides, but I just found it funny that someone would actually write that.

We had a guy here in Alabama years ago who called himself the Cache Crapper. He left logs but didn't sign anything. :)

We had a guy here in Alabama years ago who called himself the Cache Crapper. He left logs but didn't sign anything. :)

How did you wipe him out?
It might be useful for a "sting operation" ... with a technology twist see if any of the cache owners or a local club has access to a Hunting Trap Camera, two would be best. Please one near the cache, the other where most people would park to access the cache to get pics of the cars and hopefully a Lic plate.

Be sure to hide the camera well.

...and when you catch him? Then what?

Accidents happen in the woods sometimes...

Heya guys, I'm based on in the UK and from what I'm reading, isn't this Criminal Damage? Not sure what the offence is called in the States (destruction of property?)

Yes, it's criminal damage. As even though you've put the cache out in public, it remains your property the same way as something in your house, and you can be guilty of theft or criminal damage just the same.

Maybe if he's doing this often the police could be informed. They would have the power to seek this idiots details from Ground Speak and make an arrest.

While you could tell the police, would they be interested? They will have better things to do than trying to catch someone stealing caches.

Heya guys, I'm based on in the UK and from what I'm reading, isn't this Criminal Damage? Not sure what the offence is called in the States (destruction of property?)

Yes, it's criminal damage. As even though you've put the cache out in public, it remains your property the same way as something in your house, and you can be guilty of theft or criminal damage just the same.

Maybe if he's doing this often the police could be informed. They would have the power to seek this idiots details from Ground Speak and make an arrest.

While you could tell the police, would they be interested? They will have better things to do than trying to catch someone stealing caches.

From what I've read on this thread I would seriously recommend that people don't take matters into their own hands, things can get out of hand very quickly. If I was based in the states I'd love a job like this but then maybe I'm a little bias as I'm a fellow Geocacher.

I'd say if a few of the cache owners contact each other with this forum and make a joint complaint to your local police station, take all the information they will need, ie cache numbers, dates and locations of the suspected offences. Also bear in mind that the cop you speak to may never have heard of this hobby and so you may need to provide a brief description on what we do.

At the end of the day your property is being damaged and I'm sure you won't be told to go away. I know when we have had people committing offences on Ebay it's been a fairly easy process to get the offenders details. I'm sure Groundspeak would be just as willing to help it's members and the police.

Give it a go and for god sake don't be doing any have a go hero stings in the woods! :)

I'd say if a few of the cache owners contact each other with this forum and make a joint complaint to your local police station, take all the information they will need, ie cache numbers, dates and locations of the suspected offences. Also bear in mind that the cop you speak to may never have heard of this hobby and so you may need to provide a brief description on what we do.

At the end of the day your property is being damaged and I'm sure you won't be told to go away. I know when we have had people committing offences on Ebay it's been a fairly easy process to get the offenders details. I'm sure Groundspeak would be just as willing to help it's members and the police.

It took a group of NY cachers seven years before they saw the Utica/Rome Cache Thief apprehended. And that only because he was caught in the act with dozens (if not more) of pieces of evidence in his trunk. His punishment? A Class E Misdemeanor, no fine, no jail time, no restitution - stay out of trouble 6 months and the case is dismissed.

If there were a few joints in one of those caches, maybe he would have gotten nailed on a possession charge though and actually been punished (just pointing out the idiocy of drug laws vs. stolen property in this country, I'm not advocating dropping a few doobies in an ammo can).

Go ahead, talk to the police - but don't expect anything more than a shrug and "gee, sorry to hear that's happening." Work around the damage, because it's not going to get resolved.

It took a group of NY cachers seven years before they saw the Utica/Rome Cache Thief apprehended. And that only because he was caught in the act with dozens (if not more) of pieces of evidence in his trunk. His punishment? A Class E Misdemeanor, no fine, no jail time, no restitution - stay out of trouble 6 months and the case is dismissed.

If there were a few joints in one of those caches, maybe he would have gotten nailed on a possession charge though and actually been punished (just pointing out the idiocy of drug laws vs. stolen property in this country, I'm not advocating dropping a few doobies in an ammo can).

Go ahead, talk to the police - but don't expect anything more than a shrug and "gee, sorry to hear that's happening." Work around the damage, because it's not going to get resolved.

Well said.

His punishment? A Class E Misdemeanor, no fine, no jail time, no restitution - stay out of trouble 6 months and the case is dismissed.

Since he was never convicted of an offense, he was never punished (other than having an arrest record). This is consistent with what would happen to a first time offender in my area, who is charged with a minor offense -- other than that we have a diversion program that sometimes entails restitution or classes.

There are two things that I find interesting about these kind of incidents: the motivation of the person and the underlying law. The law may depend on the crime charged, local ordinances, and the status of the particular cache (permission?) directly at issue. I can think of various defenses, but it would have been intriguing if these matters had been litigated in the Repak case. Although no one - the DA, the defendant, or the court - had an interest in doing that, it was fun to speculate about it.

Repak was also interesting because he would have made a very good cacher if he had chosen to use his talents in a different direction (to paraphrase Maxwell Smart). I could see sitting down with him for a beer and getting him to take me out into back waters on a canoe. When the case is finally dismissed, Today's Cacher should try to interview him. The Forest Defender who came later at least offered a philosophic basis for his or her actions. I have a hard time believing the same of anyone calling themselves the Destroyer. That reminds me more of the people in my area who place a lot of caches at random locations, often utilizing juniper bushes with bad coordinates, until they move on to other things a few months down the line. I suspect the same thing will happen here. He or she might be annoying, but is not interesting.

Edited by mulvaney

Someone tried to steal my car. I filed a police report, and they didn't care. Just paper work into a file. If they don't care about a car, they won't care about a cache.

His punishment? A Class E Misdemeanor, no fine, no jail time, no restitution - stay out of trouble 6 months and the case is dismissed.

Since he was never convicted of an offense, he was never punished (other than having an arrest record). This is consistent with what would happen to a first time offender in my area, who is charged with a minor offense -- other than that we have a diversion program that sometimes entails restitution or classes.

There are two things that I find interesting about these kind of incidents: the motivation of the person and the underlying law. The law may depend on the crime charged, local ordinances, and the status of the particular cache (permission?) directly at issue. I can think of various defenses, but it would have been intriguing if these matters had been litigated in the Repak case. Although no one - the DA, the defendant, or the court - had an interest in doing that, it was fun to speculate about it.

Of course the defendant had no interest in the litigation going through - he was offered a deal in which the DA didn't have to lift a finger, and in exchange as long as he stays clean for 6 months he has nothing to worry about. Why challenge that - you'd have to be nuts to refuse that deal!

He had several hundred dollars of stolen property from numerous individuals in his possession, but the most the local DA & courts saw fit to charge him with something that makes a slap on the wrist look like major punishment.

Given that the case will be dismissed unless he slips up, it's likely he'll be able to get the offense expunged from his record entirely, leaving no trace of the whole incident.

Lesson learned: it's not worth the trouble to report a stolen/vandalized cache to law enforcement, period.

Given that the case will be dismissed unless he slips up, it's likely he'll be able to get the offense expunged from his record entirely, leaving no trace of the whole incident.

Lesson learned: it's not worth the trouble to report a stolen/vandalized cache to law enforcement, period.

That last bit isn't true! Repak isn't going to jail, he isn't paying a fine, and his record will be expunged. But his name was still in the newspaper, his neighbors know he is a thief, and most important of all: he stopped stealing caches.

That last bit isn't true! Repak isn't going to jail, he isn't paying a fine, and his record will be expunged. But his name was still in the newspaper, his neighbors know he is a thief, and most important of all: he stopped stealing caches.

I believe that in NY his record could be sealed, leaving it available for some purposes. But he had to report the arrest for purposes of his security clearance (which might have been a little embarrassing) -- not to mention, pay my colleagues in the private bar their fees.

Someone tried to steal my car. I filed a police report, and they didn't care. Just paper work into a file. If they don't care about a car, they won't care about a cache.

Someone broke into my car once. Took some stuff. I called the cops. They came out and took a formal report. They were very professional and caring.

I however don't think that they entered this incident into the NCIC computer system. Nor did they dust for finger prints or search for DNA stuff.

If I were to discover that my local police force spent more than 14micro seconds 'investigating' the theft of a geocache, even if it were one of mine, I'd be very very disappointed.

Dear Moderators,

Please deliver this thread from the clutches of interweb tough-guy thinly veiled threats of physical damage to other humans.

Seriously, what are you people, 14?

We aren't allowed to make threats in this forum.

One of the things I find amusing about people is their ability to underestimate the psychosis of others who seem rather mild mannered for the most part.

And he had to pay a Lawyer (yes I ...ahh..nm...) a lot of money.

That should also count as punishment.

Dear Moderators,

Please deliver this thread from the clutches of interweb tough-guy thinly veiled threats of physical damage to other humans.

Seriously, what are you people, 14?

I am a very mild mannered guy. I would never harm anyone I have had arguments with on the interweb.

I do know people that are not as I.

On the other hand.. would I tell anyone about it? or would I just say what I just did?

It's always the quiet ones you gotta watch out for.

Interesting a moderator closed another thread because someone called someone else a jerk. Here the word is used in the title and the topic goes on and on.

Maybe because it wasn't aimed at any specific person or group of people. Just guessing.

Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. :rolleyes:

Theres a cache thief near here like this. Everyone calls him, "the northeast philly cache thief". He destroyed about 10 of them so far. Everyone made all there caches premium members and he stopped...

Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. :unsure:

I like this idea.

Theres a cache thief near here like this. Everyone calls him, "the northeast philly cache thief". He destroyed about 10 of them so far. Everyone made all there caches premium members and he stopped...

their

Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. :unsure:

That could actually work.

Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. -_-

That could actually work.

Just be sure to post this idea on an open forum. :unsure:

Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. -_-

That could have actually work.

Until posted here :unsure:
Just open a sock puppet account and act like you are doing the same thing. Post finds on archived caches and such. After a bit, send them a couple e-mails congratulating them and offer to join forces. Then meet them somewhere along with a dozen other cachers and show them the "furrowed brows", and that ought to end it. :o

That could have actually work.

Until posted here -_-

Not necessarily.

Destroyer22 would have already posted here if they were reading since they are seeking attention.

In addition, in a few months there will be others anyhow and the thread will be dead.

However, it may not turn out as planned anyway. They may get upset that someone else is getting the attention, and may not like the competition. :unsure:

Alternately, they may notice that the sock is more moronic than they are, and realize how stupid they are and lose interest. Some people hate mirrors..

If the theif is not posting logs, and someone else "claims" to have destroyed the caches, it may bring them out of the woodwork. "I did that!!!!"

And there is always the possibility that the account may be another cacher working undercover anyway... :)

NO.

The storm comes.

The willow bends.

The storm passes.

The willow remains.

Bend, like the willow.

If you had said this in the 60's, you could have had, like, a cult following, dude! Mind bending!! :unsure:

I did say it then, and I do have a 'cult' following.

Would you like to join us?

-_-

NO.

The storm comes.

The willow bends.

The storm passes.

The willow remains.

Bend, like the willow.

If you had said this in the 60's, you could have had, like, a cult following, dude! Mind bending!! :unsure:

I did say it then, and I do have a 'cult' following.

Would you like to join us?

:o

Do you serve kool-ade? -_-

:unsure:-->

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Jul 14 2010, 12:09 PM) 4399885[/snapback]

We had that happen around here a few years ago. I was especially mad about it because they hit quite a few of my caches. Since these kinds of people usually we want to get attention we did a few things to deprive them of that. First we asked anybody who had written a log about the cache being missing/stolen/vandalized to change their log to something simple like "Found it".

We also stopped talking about it on an forums..either GC.com forums or local forums. We started a invite only Yahoo group to talk about it privately.

And instead of keeping the caches disabled, we fixed them as quickly as possible and kept them available to find.

By doing this we were able to discuss it and vent our anger and frustration amongst ourselves instead of a more public forum and in the process we denied them the attention they craved.

Without the attention, they didn't keep it up too long.

Exactly the way to handle it. Destroying caches is no fun if nobody notices.

I am only a visitor to the area.I have read the threads about the jerk Destroyer 22. He is probably a cacher using an alias to get the attention you cachers are giving him. He is probably gloating on all of this attention'

you would probably do best by using land lines.Quit falling into his leads.

Enough about this. I am from Fl. and like this area, Beautiful scenery and lots of camping.

Good luck.

#1cracker :unsure:

Great idea. Please let us know how that works out fer yas, k?