Don't know this TBs name - how can I log it?

InkyCat

Found a TB that it a little compass in a cache in Massachusetts. The cache page did not indicate there was a TB there. None of the log entries mentioned it. I've e-mailed geocaching.com and got an auto-response but as yet no reply to how to log this find. Anyone else have an experience like this? Thanx, InkyCat.

Inky (the "Island Girl")

quote:
Originally posted by InkyCat:

Found a TB that it a little compass in a cache in Massachusetts. The cache page did not indicate there was a TB there. None of the log entries mentioned it. I've e-mailed geocaching.com and got an auto-response but as yet no reply to how to log this find. Anyone else have an experience like this? Thanx, InkyCat.

Inky (the "Island Girl")

How do you know it's a travel bug? Does it have a dog tag with a bug number on it? Then all you need to do is go to Groundspeak.com, and enter that number. See what the last activity was on the bug -- if it was recent, you probably just need to wait a little for the last person to log that they dropped it off. If it's been a while, you can 'grab' the bug; log "I have it" on the bug's page, but un-check the box that says you picked it up from a particular cache if the cache it lists there isn't where you found it. In any case, you can find the bug's page and its name by putting in its tracking number either on Groundspeak, or on the main travel bug page. Those six digits are the key to everything.

Thanks! I didn't even think of that, I was searching all over geocaching.com trying to guess the name and clicking on every TB that had the word "compass" in it, ha ha. Just entered it as you recommended; unfortunately, its "not yet been activated". I'll wait a while, try again, then contact Groundspeak.com I guess.

Inky (the "Island Girl")

I believe that when they send the TB, they put the activation code on a sticker and stick it to the plastic bag the TB comes in. I don't remember all that well though, but if you don't see any other numbers besides the tag number, then you probably don't have the activation code.

Latest: the TB was finally activated but the owner has not 'placed' it. No mention of it was made in the logs for the cache page where it was found. I emailed the owner and asked if s/he is gonna place it so that I can officially retrieve it. Thanx for all the input!

InkyCat (the "Island Girl")