Alternate Camping of the Month (ACOTM)

hydnsek

The existing trip threads were becoming confusing with multiple trips being planned in the same thread, so I'm starting this new one, cos I have a new trip coming up:

North Cascades Campout

Thursday, July 29 - Sunday, Aug 1

Camping at either Marble Creek or Mineral Park campgrounds on Cascade River Road south of Marblemount (off Hwy 20, west of North Cascades NP). Anybody with knowledge have a preference? Mineral Park is a bit smaller, more remote, but has some newer sites. Two caches on that road: Glacier Glimpse and Cascade River, North Fork. :)

The planned hikes:

• Cascade Pass - This has been on my to-do list for a couple years; it's the most recommended/popular day hike in North Cascades NP. I've only scouted as far as the parking lot and am really looking forward to this 7.4-mile trek. Read about the hike. Looks like this will be Friday, July 30, as my ranger contact said she can meet us that day: "We would love to meet you and friends for the hike and discussions on Washington geocaching, wildflowers, natural history, or whatever comes up." Can't beat that! Plus, I'm hoping to get her permission to place the first physical cache in North Cascades NP during this meeting, possibly at Cascade Pass parking (trust me, it's the most scenic parking lot you're likely to encounter).
  • Hidden Lake Lookout - Another great hike of 9 miles. Read about the hike. Bonus: Placement of a new lookout cache. Probably Saturday, July 31.
  • Lookout Lookout cache - optional. The most physical hike, but would like to do if the other two goals are accomplished. That would make it Sunday, Aug. 1, pending the other two.

The reason for going up Thursday (evening) is to be there for the Friday morning hike to Cascade Pass. I realize many folks may not be able to do the entire trip, so feel free to join in whenever you can. Just let me know when to expect you.

More later, but wanted to get this on the radar and hopefully round up some hiking buddies....

Edited by hydnsek

Camping at either Marble Creek or Mineral Park campgrounds on Cascade River Road south of Marblemount (off Hwy 20, west of North Cascades NP). Anybody with knowledge have a preference? Mineral Park is a bit smaller, more remote, but has some newer sites.

Marble Creek appears to be full for that weekend already. Mineral Park still has some campsites available.

We are considering this. We are for sure going to hike Lookout Lookout on Sunday. Saturday is a maybe. Friday is a no-go.

Camping at either Marble Creek or Mineral Park campgrounds on Cascade River Road south of Marblemount (off Hwy 20, west of North Cascades NP). Anybody with knowledge have a preference? Mineral Park is a bit smaller, more remote, but has some newer sites.

Marble Creek appears to be full for that weekend already. Mineral Park still has some campsites available.

We are considering this. We are for sure going to hike Lookout Lookout on Sunday. Saturday is a maybe. Friday is a no-go.

Glad you can come for part of it! You're right, Marble Creek has only one Reserve site left and one FCFS (first come, first served). Mineral Park is a much better shot - 5 Reserve sites and a bunch of FCFS available. I'm calling tomorrow to get some intel on which sites are best and will share that, and probably reserve at Mineral Park. I'm only concerned with it being remote and if nobody joins me Thursday/Friday night, might be a little anxious. Looks like a few other campers there, tho.

Glad you can come for part of it! You're right, Marble Creek has only one Reserve site left and one FCFS (first come, first served). Mineral Park is a much better shot - 5 Reserve sites and a bunch of FCFS available. I'm calling tomorrow to get some intel on which sites are best and will share that, and probably reserve at Mineral Park. I'm only concerned with it being remote and if nobody joins me Thursday/Friday night, might be a little anxious. Looks like a few other campers there, tho.

I'm now booked in #15 at Mineral Park Campground for July 29-31 (arriving Thursday evening, leaving Sunday). There are 3 other reservable sites left, plus several walk-ins.

The Hikes you have planned look outstanding. I have reserved site 21 in the Mineral Park Campground for Th, Fri & Sat nights. I'm looking forward to the Cascade Pass and Hidden Lake hikes. However, I will be heading out "early" on Sunday, as there is another event I want to be back in Renton by 1:30.

Now due to other commitments, we are going to have to back out of hiking to Lookout Lookout on Sunday. We will be hiking to Lookout Lookout on Saturday the 31st instead and we'll have to skip the other two hikes.

Sunday just isn't going to work for us and Lookout Lookout is the hike of the three that we most want to do. We will be day hiking and not camping this time.

hydnsek, that would be great if you are able to switch days and go Saturday the 31st to Lookout Lookout. But we understand that if there are several people going they shouldn't have to make the switch just because we decided to.

But then I just saw this trail report from 2 days ago for the Hidden Lake Lookout

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/...7-18.2423453752

Ice axes required? Do you think the snow will be gone by the 31st? Hidden Lake Lookout could be more difficult than Lookout Lookout if there is still snow. Looks like Lookout Lookout is nearly snow-free now. What do you think?

We're in!

Sorry to take so long to decide but we've booked site #5 for Friday-Sunday. I'll miss the planned Friday hike :blink: but I'm game for the others, whatever day they fall.

Site #5 is across the river from you, I wonder if there's a bridge? Vic is already mumbling about a dinner menu.....

;)

Yes but since there is no cache at the end of the hike it won't count for the challenge...not that that matters, right?

Um, which hike? Two of three have / will have caches - Lookout Lookout (existing) and Hidden Lake Lookout (new), and Cascade Pass may get an earthcache (new).

Hey, are you joining us? Are you camping or day hiking? I'm guessing you'll be there whenever Vic's Famous Beans are served. :lol:

Cascade Pass, no cache. As of yet...Do earthcaches count? GrnXnham and I have been planning the lookoutlookout for quite some time. Not sure when I am coming down yet but I will definitely be there for that one! I will probably spend the night and go up to Hidden Lake, I love that hike. Absolutely beautiful and one I gladly do over and over.

As of right now I'm bailing out on all of these. I did something to my knee over the past four days (40 miles of hiking) and I'm guessing I should take it easy. I'll look into each of the hikes Thursday and see how I'm feeling, but yeah, rest is probably what I need :/

Bummer! Feel better soon!

Okay, here's the hiking plan for the North Cascades trip:

Friday, July 30 - Cascade Pass. Rangers Cindy Bjorklund (our geocaching contact) and Linda Belcher are meeting us at the trailhead 9:30-10:00 (their request); this is their field day for the month, and they are looking forward to hiking with us. Possible placement of new cache. 7.4 miles RT, 1800 ft gain, 5 hours. Read about it. Participants: 2 North Cascades NPS rangers, hydnsek, FourKlinks....

Saturday, July 31 - Lookout Lookout (existing cache). 8.5 miles RT, 4500 ft gain, 9 hours. Meet 8:00 am at the trailhead. Read about it. Participants: GrnXnham, BrewerMD, Og's Outfit, FourKlinks, hydnsek....

Sunday, Aug 1 - Hidden Lake Lookout. Placement of new lookout cache (approved). 8 miles, 3500 ft, 8 hours. Meet 8:00 am at trailhead. Read about it. Participants: BrewerMD, Og's Outfit, FourKlinks, hydnsek....

Camping: Mineral Park Campground on Cascade River Road. I'm in site #15 for Thurs-Sat nights (arriving Thursday evening, leaving Sunday), and FourKlinks is in site 21. Og's Outfit (site 5) and BrewerMD are there for the weekend. GrnXnham is coming up Saturday on a day trip for the Lookout Lookout hike. Vic of Og's Outfit may be making dinner for us again on Saturday night!

Hiking communications: Let's all have FRS radios on Channel 2 this go-round. :unsure: GrnXnham are bringing 4, and I also have 4. If you have your own, please bring, else we'll share ours.

Edited by hydnsek

I assume everyone wants to get a reasonably early start at Lookout Lookout to avoid the heat of the day?

How about 8AM at the TH for Lookout Lookout? This should be an easy time for you campers. The TH isn't too far down the road from you.

We are bringing 4 FRS radios with us on this hike. Hopefully, others can also bring theirs if they have them. That way we can stay in contact if we lose cell phone signal and we need to split up for any reason.

Edited by GrnXnham

Good idea on the radios, GrnXnham. I'll have one and will leave one with Vic. (He may or may not turn it on :( ) Channel 2, I presume?

Vic and I just discussed dinner for Saturday night and yes it's on! We Really need to know who's in...

Abby..... I know you're in

Monique.....?

FourKlinks.....? how many?

GrnXnham..... can you guys stay for dinner?

Anyone else?

The menu will not include "The Beans" but I'm sure you won't be disapointed. :D

Looking forward to an awesome weekend!

You know, I was actually thinking about bagging the Sunday hike and going fishing in the area instead.

Then I saw this picture.......

DSC03220.JPG

uhm.. i'm in :)

So it looks like Abby, GrnXnham, Vic and I for dinner Saturday night. Anyone else needs to let me know by tomorrow afternoon.

Can't wait to get up there!

Edited by Og's outfit

You know, I was actually thinking about bagging the Sunday hike and going fishing in the area instead.

Yeah, all the writeups and trip reports say Hidden Lake Lookout is one of the most beautiful hikes around. :D I hope the snow has melted along the one risky stretch, as I don't have ice axe or spikes (it was still considered problematic two weeks ago).

I'm packed and ready to head out tomorrow. See you up there!

Yeah, all the writeups and trip reports say Hidden Lake Lookout is one of the most beautiful hikes around. :D I hope the snow has melted along the one risky stretch, as I don't have ice axe or spikes (it was still considered problematic two weeks ago).

I'm packed and ready to head out tomorrow. See you up there!

Wow! Beautiful spot, well worth the hike. Have fun and be safe!

DSC03220.JPG

uhm.. i'm in :P

So it looks like Abby, GrnXnham, Vic and I for dinner Saturday night. Anyone else needs to let me know by tomorrow afternoon.

I'll still be there for Saturday night.

I actually won't be there until Saturday, I am caching with RDR tomorrow for our usual Friday fun. But I will be there bright and early on Saturday! Looking forward to it, I have never been to Lookout but have been up Hidden Lake before (as well as Cascade Pass and beyond). Wonderful spots.

What a weekend! :)

Thanks to hydnsek for enticing us northward even though it didn't go as planned. The weather wasn't the greatest but we made the best of it. It was fun camping in inchworm central. Those little buggars were everywhere and I'm sure we brought a few home with us. The hike up Lookout Mountain was brutal but worth every step. It was a great hike with lots of intersting things to see. Great rock formations, beautiful flowers, neat little waterfalls and a great well kept lookout.

We had a good time visiting with everyone Saturday night. Thank the stars that Vic remembered to pack the canopy! It saved dinner.

We drove up to the end of the road Sunday morning and OMG what an amazing parking lot! It was misty and foggy so we couldn't see the top of the peaks but what we could see was jaw dropping! We will definitely be back.

40289_1568084600957_1200695865_1591959_3650401_n.jpg

37792_1568092481154_1200695865_1591999_762946_n.jpg37792_1568092601157_1200695865_1592002_6575492_n.jpg

Edited by Og's outfit

Yep, Vic's the dinner guy! First the Beans and now the Steak! :) Even in the rain, it was a good time! Thanks to Og's Outfit, BrewerMD, GrnXnham, and FourKlinks for a fun weekend, even if all our plans didn't work out.

FourKlinks and I had a great hike to Cascade Pass on Friday with the interpretive ranger - who permitted the first two physical caches in North Cascades NP! Just waiting on the supervisor's written signoff to submit them. Woo hoo! The weather was gorgeous, as were the mountains. A couple pics are below, and you can see the full album on FaceBook here.

I skipped the Lookout Lookout hike on Saturday, as I wanted to make sure my feet were in shape for the anticipated trek to Hidden Lake Lookout on Sunday, where I planned to place a new lookout cache that's been in the works for a year. Well, the trail reports were still dicey, and the weather wasn't great, so we bailed on that - which is just as well, cos we got home to discover someone had placed a cache there just a few days earlier. That would've been a bummer, to place the cache not knowing the other one was already there, and both get a refused publication and miss the chance to find the new one.

World's most scenic parking lot - Cascade Pass parking view

39133_1573000527364_1306059561_31549926_838217_n.jpg

Ranger Cindy at Cascade Pass (at left edge, you can see smoke from the Stehekin-area fire)

40859_1573001247382_1306059561_31549941_3039908_n.jpg

Wildflower wonderland along Cascade Pass trail

35938_1573001487388_1306059561_31549947_2031742_n.jpg

Edited by hydnsek

On Thursday, Sept. 2, I'm hiking to the Hidden Lake Lookout cache with a couple friends, in case anyone wants to join us. The views there are spectacular, possibly better than the Cascade Pass images above.

This is a mid-week hike, so realize that won't work for most, but wanted to toss it out there. Read about the hike. The lookout cache is new, and only Alnilam has found it so far (congrats on the FTF!).

We are going up on Wed, Sept. 1 and camping at Mineral Park the night before. "We" includes cache ahead (Adena) and a non-caching friend (Tony).

Oh yes...and the first two physical caches were just approved in North Cascades NP, so look for them to be published soon! Woo hoo!