ftf cache

ok im a bit confused am i missing something but how do you see a cach go live and be the first to find,is there a setting or something or is it just pot luck. im new so i apologize if this is a silly question or has been asked multiple times

If you're a premium member (I.E. you pay a subscription), then one of the benefits is "Notifications". From your Profile screen you can setup various email alerts, for new caches and various other changes of states for caches.

Jon.

If you're a premium member (I.E. you pay a subscription), then one of the benefits is "Notifications". From your Profile screen you can setup various email alerts, for new caches and various other changes of states for caches.

Jon.

I have a notification set up so that I get an email if there is a new cache within 10 miles of where I live.

Although it seems there's not many local FTF hounds in my local area, I've got two caches published since Sunday evening which are still waiting for a FTF! I'm going to check on them tonight to make sure they haven't gone missing already..

I have a notification set up so that I get an email if there is a new cache within 10 miles of where I live.

Although it seems there's not many local FTF hounds in my local area, I've got two caches published since Sunday evening which are still waiting for a FTF! I'm going to check on them tonight to make sure they haven't gone missing already..

Could be they are being boycotted - you've put out nice big cache's in lovely locations yes?

Jon

Could be they are being boycotted - you've put out nice big cache's in lovely locations yes?

Well one is an "Off Your Trolley" cache, so I guess that's a no. But the other is in a park but it is a micro so, it's possible the local FTF'ers aren't bothered about it. Although they are both quite sneaky hides - perhaps too sneaky! Nevertheless I'm going to check on them tonight just to make sure they haven't been removed.

I am; however going to put out a nice big cache in a scenic location tomorrow morning - although it's around 80 miles from the others! And back at my home location I'm planning a multi-cache, again with a 'proper' cache as the final stage.

Edited by markhewitt1978

I was recently exceedingly lucky and was sat at my computer when a notification came in and got FTF in 8 minutes!!!! [imagine me in wheelchair whizzing three streets away like greased lightening]!!!! :)

FTFs round here are gone quite quickly these days, as indeed was mrstroudys cache this morning.

Conversely, I recently set a puzzle which stayed unfound for a whole, whacking 12 hours! Whoop whoop! ;)

Conversely, I recently set a puzzle which stayed unfound for a whole, whacking 12 hours! Whoop whoop! :)

My last FTF had been published for 9 months Published 17-9-09 First Found 21-6-10.

I seem to remember a thread talking about the record for not being found and I am sure the winner was over a year.

ok im a bit confused am i missing something but how do you see a cach go live and be the first to find,is there a setting or something or is it just pot luck. im new so i apologize if this is a silly question or has been asked multiple times

Being first to find means you make the first mark on the virgin log. It means you got there before anybody else did... which for some means gloating rights and for others means nothing. If you've travelled a few miles to a cache and find it before someone who lives 100 yards away, make sure to take full advantage of the gloating rights....

Of course it also means you get to go on a wild goose chase if it got muggled before the first find, or if the coordinates are badly wrong, or there's some other problem with it.

Seriously, some folks will make a special journey to be the first to find a cache (I've done it several times myself) and others won't. It's really down to how you want to play the game.

As someone else already said, if you're a premium member you can get an email notification when a cache is published, so you get a nice early notice that there's a new cache to find. It doesn't guarantee you'll get to know before a non-premium member who happened to update their "nearest caches" list at just the right time, but does mean you get an active notice rather than passive access to the data. Whether that's of interest or not is largely down to how you want to play the game.

Edited by team tisri

ok so i have to pay a subscription :-( i bought the full app for my iphone now i have to pay more ,a bit of a con in my opinion but hey each to their own i guess.

i would pay but imo i think it takes far to long to get a cache published and there is not enough benefits for paying.

i just payed £5.99 for the app and altho i really enjoy the game i cant help but think that every thing is just money money money,i just wanted a simple game to get the kids and myself out.

To be honest you would have been better off buying a cheap second hand GPS and forgetting the Iphone app. It's each to their own, but I find the premium membership good value for money. As far as getting caches published, I don't think that anyone can complain. The reviewers get so many caches to review in a day, and the longest I have ever waited to get one approved and published is around 12 hours. Not bad really for people who don't even get paid for what they do!

ok so i have to pay a subscription :-( i bought the full app for my iphone now i have to pay more ,a bit of a con in my opinion but hey each to their own i guess.

i would pay but imo i think it takes far to long to get a cache published and there is not enough benefits for paying.

i just payed £5.99 for the app and altho i really enjoy the game i cant help but think that every thing is just money money money,i just wanted a simple game to get the kids and myself out.

You wanted a simple game to get you and the kids out and you have it. You don't have to pay a subscription... If you do, you can have extra's like PQ's and Notifications, but it's not compulsory to play the "simple" game. I don't see how anyone could see it in anyway as being a con, but as you say, each to their own :laughing:

J

Edited by Dakar4x4

Nobody is forcing you to pay any extra money. If you want to be FTF on caches then the notifications are important, but FTF is a very small part of geocaching IMO and completely unnecessary to your stated aim of getting you and the kids outside.

New caches are generally published in the evenings - reviewers are volunteers and are often at work during the day. So FTF hunting will often involve going out in the late evening when it's dark and cold. It's something best left to the hardcore cachers!

Edited by markhewitt1978

i do apologize im not trying to start an argument, when i said i thought it was a con was because i bought the app which is £5.99 done a few caches then i find out it cost about £20 a year to get some emails (maybe there is other benefits im missing).

yes i got a game that gets me and the kids out but it wasnt free!!

i do realize it is my choice to pay or not to pay but i just cant get my head round paying that money for emails,i personally would rather pay the reviewers as they are the ones doing the work.

please dont take of offense to this it is my opinion which may be very wrong (i am new)

You've paid for an application on your phone. As I understand it, and Im assuming its the same as the trimble app, you can access all the local coordinates wherever you are whenever you want. This includes any new caches as they are published.

The info to play is published free on the web, you just need to find a way to use the coordinates. Applications sold for phones are obviously chargeable by the application developer discretion.

If you had bought a traditional GPS as suggested, this would mean entering the coordinates one at a time. However if you upgrade to premium membership you can run pocket queries which are files of multiple caches (up to 1000) that you can then just load en masse to the device. This for us is the primary reason we are PMs.

The only thing you're not getting is an optional email service which you can set up to tell you a new cache has just been published. So as others have said it depends how important that is to you... you get 'nothing' extra for a FTF unless thats the way you want to play...

The only other notable benefit (probably) is access to "premium member only" caches. These are set as such purely at the cache owners discretion, not groundspeaks. There arent that many in the scheme of things.

Enjoy the game, you're not missing a great deal [:laughing:]

If you do get into it though, I'd suggest you do look at a 'proper' GPS for accuracy, phones are a good back up.

i do apologize im not trying to start an argument, when i said i thought it was a con was because i bought the app which is £5.99 done a few caches then i find out it cost about £20 a year to get some emails

Look, just forget about FTFs, they aren't important. There is no need for you to spend any more money if you don't want to.

The iPhone 3/3GS is not a good GPS receiver due to it's dreadful accuracy, but that's not Groundspeak's fault. I understand the iPhone 4 is better.

But for the present just get out there and do some caching with what you've already got. If after a few months you find you enjoy it you can decide whether or not to invest in a better GPSr, premium membership, etc.

Rgds, Andy

Like others have said, concentrate on getting out and having fun with the kids and iphone and find some caches.

Just a word of caution though, the iphone is not always the most accurate beast to use when setting caches, and also be aware that some areas don't have 3G or Edge coverage - and just a few no phone coverage at all.

I was just using my iphone in Canford Magna on Sunday and found I could not use it at all in some parts of the village but I had my gpsr in my bag should I need it.

As far as paid membership goes, some of us feel it is very worthwhile for the perks it gives in terms of planning caching trips, notifications for first to finds, ability to find members only caches etc.

I always keep a few of my caches members only, just as a perk for those who do wish to contribute to the game via membership. It is also handy when setting a cache in a place where I might want a lesser amount of visitors.

If you imagine all the gubbins behind a website like this and the amount of people and skill needed to keep it running as it does, then a membership fee is a drop in the ocean ... nothing in life is really free - don't forget if you use a vehicle for geocaching, you'll be buying fuel etc :laughing:

I bought premium membership about a week after I started caching almost 5 years ago and have not regretted it for a moment, nor ever thought it wasn't worth the money! :huh:

i do apologize im not trying to start an argument, when i said i thought it was a con was because i bought the app which is £5.99 done a few caches then i find out it cost about £20 a year to get some emails

Look, just forget about FTFs, they aren't important. There is no need for you to spend any more money if you don't want to.

The iPhone 3/3GS is not a good GPS receiver due to it's dreadful accuracy, but that's not Groundspeak's fault. I understand the iPhone 4 is better.

But for the present just get out there and do some caching with what you've already got. If after a few months you find you enjoy it you can decide whether or not to invest in a better GPSr, premium membership, etc.

Rgds, Andy

I agree with this. I was a member for several years before upgrading to premium. What did it for me:

1. Pocket queries which meant I could download hundreds of caches to my GPS in one hit, and download cache details to print them en masse

2. Access to premium-only caches (not a huge number, but it's nice to have more to choose from)

3. Notification emails. Now I work for myself there are times a cache is published during the day and if I don't have a specific pressing deadline I can jump on the bike and go out, and shift the work into the evening if I so choose.

If you feel £20 is too much to pay for those, don't pay it. It really is that simple. Get out and about, find a few geocaches, and if in a year or two you're thinking how much you like it then £20 isn't a lot for a year's membership. If in a year or two you've got rid of the iPhone and you're thinking what a waste of time geocaching is, so be it.

We 're not premium members,but we still saw the published details for a recent new cache in nearby Blandford about 7 hours before it had it's first finder .

ok thanks people for your input it has made some useful reading,i do use an iphone 4 which i find is very accurate compared with my 3gs. when planting new caches tho i use google maps for a more accurate placement. maybe one day i will justify paying a subscription but until then ill carry on the way i am.

once again thanks for everyone's input

ok thanks people for your input it has made some useful reading,i do use an iphone 4 which i find is very accurate compared with my 3gs. when planting new caches tho i use google maps for a more accurate placement. maybe one day i will justify paying a subscription but until then ill carry on the way i am.

once again thanks for everyone's input

Groundspeaks guidelines do say that caches should be placed with a GPS receiver - rightly or wrongly.

Having said that I've placed three caches now with my iPhone 4 and after getting the coords from the phone and putting them in google maps they are both in agreement, so I think you'd be fine just using your iPhone for cache placement.

Groundspeaks guidelines do say that caches should be placed with a GPS receiver - rightly or wrongly.

Having said that I've placed three caches now with my iPhone 4 and after getting the coords from the phone and putting them in google maps they are both in agreement, so I think you'd be fine just using your iPhone for cache placement.

I'll probably get an iPhone 4 in December, when my contract permits upgrading. I wouldn't dream of using my 3GS for cache placement, it's nowhere near reliable enough.

Rgds, Andy

I'll probably get an iPhone 4 in December, when my contract permits upgrading. I wouldn't dream of using my 3GS for cache placement, it's nowhere near reliable enough.

Rgds, Andy

I agree, iphone for placement is not a good idea.

I will be interested to hear of your experiences with the iphone4 for geocaching. I have declined the upgrade on the ground of it will mean switching from unlimited data use .... which is so essential for geocaching and other things I get up to!

I previously used a Bluetooth GPS receiver and I would say the iPhone is even more accurate. Although it was a bit jumpy today in Sheffield looking for a cache right next to a building but it took me to GZ just fine. As I say the caches I have done and tests I have carried out show the iPhone in agreement with google maps to within 2-3 metres.

I previously used a Bluetooth GPS receiver and I would say the iPhone is even more accurate. Although it was a bit jumpy today in Sheffield looking for a cache right next to a building but it took me to GZ just fine. As I say the caches I have done and tests I have carried out show the iPhone in agreement with google maps to within 2-3 metres.

We're not talking about finding caches with an iphone, it is perfect for that, in given circumstances, there are issues with setting though.

Then there's the guideline that a GPSr should be used ....

I agree, iphone for placement is not a good idea.

I will be interested to hear of your experiences with the iphone4 for geocaching. I have declined the upgrade on the ground of it will mean switching from unlimited data use .... which is so essential for geocaching and other things I get up to!

i have found the iphone 4 is really good so far for finding a cache but as for placing them i dont rely on the coordinates they can be out a bit. but the phone is fast and reliable, as for the data you dont use data when using geo as it runs on gps not a data plan.

There's a lovely heated debate going on over in the feedback about placing with iPhones.

I think Jeremy is probably right in that we could (or should?) perhaps have a tick box on the submission form that says what sort of GPS we placed with so that when finding we have an idea of accuracy.

I don't know if the iPhone 4 does it, but the previous v3s used mast triangulation if they couldn't get an accurate GPS signal. I've used that before on my blackberry (before I got one with a GPS) and it was terribly inaccurate.

The "discussion" can be found here

http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/..._hiding_a_cache

Be careful of people being called bigots and snobs (and watch out for the Apple "Fanbois" too)

There's a lovely heated debate going on over in the feedback about placing with iPhones.

I think Jeremy is probably right in that we could (or should?) perhaps have a tick box on the submission form that says what sort of GPS we placed with so that when finding we have an idea of accuracy.

I don't know if the iPhone 4 does it, but the previous v3s used mast triangulation if they couldn't get an accurate GPS signal. I've used that before on my blackberry (before I got one with a GPS) and it was terribly inaccurate.

The "discussion" can be found here

http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/..._hiding_a_cache

Be careful of people being called bigots and snobs (and watch out for the Apple "Fanbois" too)

terribly inaccurate is probably an understatement! I have a handy little app by thetrainline on my iphone, which has my home station programmed in, and I can click a button to 'find next train home' and it SHOULD work out which station I'm at and then give me the train times. Unfortunately, 90% of the time it can't even accurately place me at a train station - ie Clapham Junction or East Croydon, which means its inaccurate by at least a mile!

However, when it can get a GPS signal, we've also used it for FTFing!

Out of interest, am I right in thinking you don't need a subscription to have full access with the iphone? Does this include member caches?

i have found the iphone 4 is really good so far for finding a cache but as for placing them i dont rely on the coordinates they can be out a bit. but the phone is fast and reliable, as for the data you dont use data when using geo as it runs on gps not a data plan.

Sorry? It does what?

You have previously stated you are using the geocaching app for iphone ... as far as I am aware it does indeed use data. Unless you previously save all the caches as favourites and only use it offline as a pda.

I have a nice big fat humungous bill from o2 when using it in "emergency" caching in Croatia last autumn to prove it!

Normally, this data usage will be as part of the data package included with the phone contract. With O2, all contracts prior to the I4 were unlimited data, they used the introduction of the I4 to introduce limited data usage.

That was my sole reason for not upgrading, although now, I wouldn't upgrade if you paid me seeing how many people I know have trouble with it.

Sorry? It does what?

You have previously stated you are using the geocaching app for iphone ... as far as I am aware it does indeed use data. Unless you previously save all the caches as favourites and only use it offline as a pda.

I have a nice big fat humungous bill from o2 when using it in "emergency" caching in Croatia last autumn to prove it!

Normally, this data usage will be as part of the data package included with the phone contract. With O2, all contracts prior to the I4 were unlimited data, they used the introduction of the I4 to introduce limited data usage.

That was my sole reason for not upgrading, although now, I wouldn't upgrade if you paid me seeing how many people I know have trouble with it.

ok new one on me but i was out today and my data didnt go up. but i suppose it depends on how you use it if your uploading pics and logs then obviously it will

i have found the iphone 4 is really good so far for finding a cache but as for placing them i dont rely on the coordinates they can be out a bit.

I have three caches out there, all placed with my iPhone and the coordinates are spot on. In fact the last log I got through said "Coords spot on". So I don't see any issues with the iPhone 4. We/You i.e. the community as a whole need to stop tarring the iPhone 4 with the same brush as the others, it's a different chipset and a different antenna design, it's just a completely different setup and cannot be compared to the other iPhones.

but the phone is fast and reliable, as for the data you dont use data when using geo as it runs on gps not a data plan.

Sorry to say but you do! Where you do think the maps and cache information come from? You can cut down on that by using your home wifi to save the caches and map / satellite photos.

i have found the iphone 4 is really good so far for finding a cache but as for placing them i dont rely on the coordinates they can be out a bit.

I have three caches out there, all placed with my iPhone and the coordinates are spot on. In fact the last log I got through said "Coords spot on". So I don't see any issues with the iPhone 4. We/You i.e. the community as a whole need to stop tarring the iPhone 4 with the same brush as the others, it's a different chipset and a different antenna design, it's just a completely different setup and cannot be compared to the other iPhones.

but the phone is fast and reliable, as for the data you dont use data when using geo as it runs on gps not a data plan.

Sorry to say but you do! Where you do think the maps and cache information come from? You can cut down on that by using your home wifi to save the caches and map / satellite photos.

ok i understand what your saying about the data for maps ,maybe for me it has not been using data is because i have been doing local catches simply turning my phone on when i get there.

as for the iphone for placing caches i dont agree i use the iphone 4 and altho its good for finding its not so good for placing imo the co-ordinates have been out not by far but enough for me to change them, but to be honest it does depend on how long you stand there in one place because eventually it will get fairly accurate,but again each to there own if you have success with it then fair play i just prefer to double check mine.

It doesn't matter which model iPhone you use, they provide the same information with the GPS. The problem with the Geocaching app is that it doesn't show you whether you have a good GPS signal or are triangulating your position with the mobile signal. It will give you your location and an accuracy figure. If you 'blindly' read off the coordinates without checking what the accuracy shows you could be very wrong. So I would not use that app with any degree of confidence to place a cache. An app like MotionX GPS gives a visual indication of what the signal is so you can be confident it is using the GPS and is giving you an accurate set of coordinates. It is a cheap application and turns the iPhone into a handheld GPS.

The geocaching app works pretty well when finding caches until you lose your mobile signal then everything suddenly stops! If you only cache in an urban environment then the iPhone seems to work all the time. Try using it in the hills of Wales or wilds of Dartmoor and see how good it is then :blink:

I see these errors with coordinates all the time whilst reviewing, not just in a new cache but when I'm asked to update coordinates. Invariably it is because an iPhone was used and the person using it would appear not to be that familiar with how it works.

Regarding data usage. Yes, you must have a data connection (mobile or wifi) in order for the geocaching app to download the cache data. Without a signal you have no information unless you've previously downloaded it and saved it. The Motion X app doesn't need a data application as you can cache maps and waypoints are entered as you do on a handheld GPS.

As for the amount of data being used with the geocaching app...... it is a very small amount. But... overseas, Egypt for example where I was working earlier this year 02 charge you £6 per Mbyte. That is expensive. But fortunately the data roaming option is turned off by default on the phone so you won't get stung. I used the MotionX application there with data roaming off and it worked fine (found a few caches with it!!).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

As for the amount of data being used with the geocaching app...... it is a very small amount. But... overseas, Egypt for example where I was working earlier this year 02 charge you £6 per Mbyte. That is expensive. But fortunately the data roaming option is turned off by default on the phone so you won't get stung. I used the MotionX application there with data roaming off and it worked fine (found a few caches with it!!).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

cheers Chris - that answers a question i was going to pose about iphone use overseas! Namely, will it automatically try downloading e-mails and so on, therefore costing me an arm and a leg!

cheers Chris - that answers a question i was going to pose about iphone use overseas! Namely, will it automatically try downloading e-mails and so on, therefore costing me an arm and a leg!

No is the answer but always check the Data Roaming option in Setup is off. The providers are supposed to have brought in an automatic warning that tells you when you've downloaded a certain amount of data - I recall it was £50 or something just so you know! The only reason I had to use it in Egypt was my good old eTrex had packed in suddenly. So just loaded the waypoints into MotionX and off I went!

Chris

If you are with BT you get a barrage of text messages the instant your phone registers with a foreign service provider, warning you that it's going to cost you a fortune :-)

As Chris says, check that data roaming is off. It's a real nuisance that you can't be selective about what uses the data connection, when I'm abroad I DO want emails but I DON'T want to download maps, etc. I haven't found any solution other than keeping a second phone for use abroad - I just swap the SIM over when I get on the plane :-) .

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel
As Chris says, check that data roaming is off. It's a real nuisance that you can't be selective about what uses the data connection, when I'm abroad I DO want emails but I DON'T want to download maps, etc. I haven't found any solution other than keeping a second phone for use abroad - I just swap the SIM over when I get on the plane :-) .

Rgds, Andy

I did my data over the hotel/customers WIFI which worked fine!

Chris

Going bit off topic here but has anyone gone for a FTF, only to not find it and get disappointed when someone else finds it after you? I had a email come in a few days ago saying there was one 0.22km away from my house, i grabbed the GPS and was gone ran all the way there, only to find nothing. I searched for over an hour and went back the following day, a week later someone logged as found and said they found it instantly..... fml...

has anyone else has that experience?

Going bit off topic here but has anyone gone for a FTF, only to not find it and get disappointed when someone else finds it after you? I had a email come in a few days ago saying there was one 0.22km away from my house, i grabbed the GPS and was gone ran all the way there, only to find nothing. I searched for over an hour and went back the following day, a week later someone logged as found and said they found it instantly..... fml...

Could be the owner hadn't put the cache in place, before submitting the cache page...

The UK reviewers can be/are fairly quick in their reviewing duties!

In certain parts of Essex (Maldon included) it's referred to as "being mcwomble'd", although I can't think how such scurrilous rumours may have started. :(:(:(:)

These days it's usually helennbrian, melray or gillywig.

In certain parts of Essex (Maldon included) it's referred to as "being mcwomble'd", although I can't think how such scurrilous rumours may have started. :(:(:(:)

These days it's usually helennbrian, melray or gillywig.

yeah they are considered in my mind as maldon celebs, (im from maldon to) they seem to be everywhere lol im still working my round going caching with them as only being 16, caching can become boring on your own and you look a bit of a wally searching by yourself :(