Is there a place to shamelessly promote our created products?

Dragery

Title sums it up. Is there a proper section on the forum to promote products created for geocachers? I.e shirts and what not.

Unless you have explicit permission from Groundspeak to do so (and if you do, make sure you mention it) it is not allowed per the forum guidelines. If someone asks about a particular product, I believe it is OK to mention you sell such an item, but don't use it as an excuse to post a full advertisement, and remember sock puppet accounts can get you banned. Geocoins can be promoted in the geocoin forums.

Title sums it up. Is there a proper section on the forum to promote products created for geocachers? I.e shirts and what not.

I hope not. Their are few remaining organized activities in which one can participate without someone looking at the participants as source ofr their personal profit. Put up a web site. If someone wants to buy products made for geocachers there are search engines can be used to discover them. Leave your intrusive commercial solicitation out of the groupspeak sites and discussion forums.

I hope not. There are few remaining organized activities in which one can participate without someone looking at the participants as source for their personal profit.

Put up a web site. If someone wants to buy products made for geocachers there are search engines can be used to discover them. Leave your intrusive commercial solicitation out of the groupspeak sites and discussion forums.

Leave your intrusive commercial solicitation out of the groupspeak sites and discussion forums.

Watch out for this guy. I was asking a question, not stating I was going to do it.

And thanks to the others for the answers I was looking for.

Edited by Dragery

Leave your intrusive commercial solicitation out of the groupspeak sites and discussion forums.

Watch out for this guy. I was asking a question, not stating I was going to do it.

Yeah, watch out for me. When someone asks a question in the forums I'm not afraid to provide an answer that may not be the one they want to hear. That's the way forums usually work. You can ask almost any question you want but trying to dictate what the answer will be is a fruitless endeavor. Usually when someone asks a question about how to do something, there's a reasonable assumption that it's something they intend, or want to do.

I would rather be watching out for folks that don't see the text, "Read the Forum Guidelines" at the top of the page, and in doing so, see the following:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.

Unless you have explicit permission from Groundspeak to do so (and if you do, make sure you mention it) it is not allowed per the forum guidelines. If someone asks about a particular product, I believe it is OK to mention you sell such an item, but don't use it as an excuse to post a full advertisement, and remember sock puppet accounts can get you banned. Geocoins can be promoted in the geocoin forums.

What is a sock puppet account? That one is new for me...

Your question wasn't like "how does a bumble bee fly?".

You know you were asking because it was something you wanted to do.

And as for "And thanks to the others for the answers I was looking for" part,

You will NOT get the answers you are looking for on any forum if you are only looking for answers that agree with you.

I personally didn't take offense at your post at all. I think it was good that you asked before trying to just spam the forums.

Good luck in your business endeavors.

sock puppet

I hope not. Their are few remaining organized activities in which one can participate without someone looking at the participants as source ofr their personal profit. Put up a web site. If someone wants to buy products made for geocachers there are search engines can be used to discover them. Leave your intrusive commercial solicitation out of the groupspeak sites and discussion forums.

holy, you had a bad day?

the guy asked a question and you, as well as most of the rest of the useless replies, assume and jump on his throat? :)

no wonder we get threads like this

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=254340

Edited by t4e

Wow, y'all are so quick to fight each other that you missed the real answer!

No, the only forum for sales here is the garage sale forum, intended to be used for occasional sale of some used equipment, not to promote a business.

That said, you'll see a lot of commercial links in signature lines.

nope, didn't miss it, that is one valid answer/solution

sock puppet

That makes more sense than one owned by pets who can't drive. ty.

I would rather be watching out for folks that don't see the text, "Read the Forum Guidelines" at the top of the page, and in doing so, see the following:

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.

Bolding mine. I don't see how that answers the original question at all. If dude is selling caching t-shirts, how does that not reasonably relate to caching?

OP: put a link in your sig. Lot of it about.

Ahem.

Just saying.

<koff>

Bolding mine. I don't see how that answers the original question at all. If dude is selling caching t-shirts, how does that not reasonably relate to caching?

OP: put a link in your sig. Lot of it about.

Ahem.

Just saying.

<koff>

Thanks. I guess I didn't read it carefully enough before posting it. You're right, that does not answer the OPs question after all.
I hope not. Their are few remaining organized activities in which one can participate without someone looking at the participants as source ofr their personal profit. ...
You aren't nearly new enough to not realize that many geocachers also sell stuff to other players and that they do indeed solicit in various ways through GC.com and the forums.