What are good First to Find prizes

redtech

I tried and tried so do a search. I'm sure there are countless threads on this topic but I've never had any luck with the search feature on this forum.

So I'm starting to really plan my first hide. What are Good FTF items?

And how do you do that? Do you put it in a separate baggie that says "FTF Prize"? What if they don't like it and would rather have something else? Are they allowed to take the prize and trade?

I'm planning to make the cache dedicated to my old kitty cat who just died last month. I'm going to attach some jingly cat balls in the lid so it jingles when its opened. :ph34r:

Sorry to hear about kitty.

I'm really just here to see what other people say. I'm planning to put my first cache out when I get back from vacation. I was thinking of stocking it with little trinkets I pick up on my trip - keychains and magnets maybe, but I'm not sure.

I'm really just here to see what other people say. I'm planning to put my first cache out when I get back from vacation. I was thinking of stocking it with little trinkets I pick up on my trip - keychains and magnets maybe, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Tiger was really old and starting to suffer but he was the best cat I ever had (even though he drooled in my hair)

That sounds cool. Where are you going? We're going to Myrtle Beach in August. Maybe if I find some cool shells I toss those in when I get back.

I'm pretty new at this game as well so don't rely 100% on my answers, but as far as prizes and trading guidelines go, it's completely up to you as the hider to decide what works.

Being FTF seems like a prize in itself to a lot of cachers in my area. Everytime I read the earliest logs of a cache, the story always plays out like a race, and familiar cacher names chat back and forth about how they beat so and so by 15 minutes, and so on. AS far as an additional FTF prize goes, think about why you're including it and the types of cachers that might go after your cache. Things like unactivated trackables or small cash prizes might be good ideas for easy-to-reach urban caches, toys and games for caches geared towards younger cachers, or maybe a rare geocaching item, or outdoor/geocaching gear for wilderness caches.... anything goes (so long as you don't leave items that shouldn't be placed in caches such as food, dangerous materials, etc).

And, to answer your other questions, I'm pretty sure that the first finder has the option of leaving the FTF prize for the next finder if they want to. If I found a cache with a FTF prize of a high-powered flashlight but I already had one, I would probably leave it for the next person, explaining why in the log, and trade a different item instead.

I hope this helps but again, I'm still new at this so take my ideas with a grain of salt just in case I'm way off :ph34r:

Depends on how much you want to spend on it. It's entirely voluntary, of course, so don't feel obligated to do so.

For about $5 you can get a Whiskers the Cat travel tag. geoswag lists it as pre-order. Shipping is going to add another few dollars to the price. You could also give a small cat charm, or a small Japanese maneki neko figurine.

we usually put a $2 gift card to our famous Tim Hortons coffee shop

other things we put as FTF gifts were: Signal the frog antena ball, 4 pack batteries, GC t-shirt, GC themed mouse pads, GC lanyards, unactivated micro and regular geocoins/TB tags

the Cache Buddy Trackables are cute too and not too expensive, i am sure you could find a cat :)

yeap there is one called Whiskers the Cat :)

where we had a variety of stuff in the caches we said in the cache description which is the FTF prize, but that if they prefer something else they are free to take whatever they wish

you can also put it in the bag with the logbook

and i am really sorry to hear about your cat, i had to part with mine 2.5 years ago after i had him for 16 years :ph34r:

Edited by t4e

As I have posted before, if I give out a "prize" it is usually to the third, fourth, or fifth to find. They come to the cache for reasons other than the three initials. I have had first finders help themselves to whatever is in there, despite any lack of a designated prize, but generally I figure they are doing it for the eternal glory and don't need any prize to motivate them. Besides, its usually a matter of geography or personal circumstances, none of which are particularly noteworthy things.

Edited by mulvaney

Depends on how much you want to spend on it. It's entirely voluntary, of course, so don't feel obligated to do so.

For about $5 you can get a Whiskers the Cat travel tag. geoswag lists it as pre-order. Shipping is going to add another few dollars to the price. You could also give a small cat charm, or a small Japanese maneki neko figurine.

I think that these are great ideas!! I particularly like the Whiskers the Cat suggestion. I'll just add one more idea... Since you seem to associate bells with your kitty, maybe you could find a real nice bell to put in the cache for the FTFer.

And to reiterate what Chrysalides said, you don't have to leave a prize.

I too am sorry about Kitty.

:ph34r:

What I do on my new caches is put either my signature Pathtag or my signature Travel coin, then in the description of the hide I will say what is the FTF prize and add or whatever you like. I have had a coin go till the third finder. I really get a kick following the coins. :)

It seems like FTF prizes are completely optional around here. I was FTF on 2 caches, and was with a FTF'er on another, no prizes. I also didn't leave anything special for the FTF on the caches I hid, I just tried to stock them with a few interesting swag items.

A $1 president coin might be cool if you feel the need to leave something extra. Magnets or keychains from another state sound good too.

Please don't propagate the concept of "First to Find Prizes". This was never intended to be the competition that it has turned out to be. Let's not make it any worse by offering any prize other than a blank log and a great cache experience for all.

I agree with the pooch with poor eyesight. I don't pay people to visit my caches with anything other than what I hope will be a fun experience. I HAVE randomly placed what I think is cool stuff at times after the FTF. Of course I have done this in caches that are not mine as well. And I don't mention anything in the logs about the random cool stuff. The reward is for those who find the cache because it is a worthwhile cache. Not because they are the FTF. :)

That sounds cool. Where are you going? We're going to Myrtle Beach in August. Maybe if I find some cool shells I toss those in when I get back.

I like the Whiskers the Cat idea too. I didn't realize how many different travel tags are out there.

I am heading to Santa Fe tomorrow. So yea it's 9:15 and I'm at work online. :)

I have two things I need to do today and at this rate it will take me all day to do them. Tomorrow... the road awaits. (yea we're driving. I hate to fly. We'll see if I still think this is the way to go after a two day drive with an 18 month old Australian Shepherd)

For those of you that DO include ftf 'prizes' as payment for people visiting your geocaches:

After the ftf, what sort of 'prizes' do you typically provide to pay people for continuing to visit your geocaches?

We're not talking about swag here, we're talking about the stuff that you put into your geocaches to pay people for visiting.

Edited by Team Cotati

I tried and tried so do a search. I'm sure there are countless threads on this topic but I've never had any luck with the search feature on this forum.

Me neither! I use Google instead. The Google search engine spiders the Groundspeak forums and thus can more easily find anything posted in here.

So I'm starting to really plan my first hide. What are Good FTF items?

FTF prizes are not required nor expected by most cachers.

That said, an FTF prize could be appropriate for the cache. Most of my hides are ammo boxes in family-friendly accessible places, so I usually make the FTF prize appropriate for kids.

Sometimes I will do a themed or harder-to-find cache and will use something appropriate for adult finders such as a pair of FRS/GMRS radios or a fishing reel.

I spent a lot of money on cache contents with my average FTF prize being worth ~30. but had to back off on that when I retired. Now my FTF is usually an unactivated geocoin ($8 to $12).

Interestingly we have an avid group of FTF hunters in my area (few caches are listed for more than two hours before being found) but almost without exception they leave the FTF prize for later finders!

And how do you do that? Do you put it in a separate baggie that says "FTF Prize"?

Yes, and mention in the cache listing what the FTF prize is.

What if they don't like it and would rather have something else? Are they allowed to take the prize and trade?

If they don't like the FTF prize they won't take it, either way yes they can take the FTF prize if they choose and still trade for something else. The FTF prize is not a trade item.

I'm planning to make the cache dedicated to my old kitty cat who just died last month. I'm going to attach some jingly cat balls in the lid so it jingles when its opened. :)

Cute. ;)

For those of you that DO include ftf 'prizes' as payment for people visiting your geocaches:

After the ftf, what sort of 'prizes' do you typically provide to pay people for continuing to visit your geocaches?

We're not talking about swag here, we're talking about the stuff that you put into your geocaches to pay people for visiting.

who said anything about being a payment for visiting the cache? :)

btw nice shirt

who said anything about being a payment for visiting the cache? :)

btw nice shirt

Of course it's not a payment, that's the first person I've ever heard suggest that it is.

With some posters it's best to keep Rambler's Mantra in mind so that you don't get sucked in:

The best thing about geocaching is that anyone can play.

The worst thing about geocaching is... that anyone can play! ;)

My fist cache was a micro, so on my second which was a ammo can in an important area to me with a nice little hike, I went a little bigger than normal.

I had bought a copy of "The Simpsons DVD season 10" at a Circuit City going out of business sale. Only to get home and realize I already had it. It had cost me $20, and I couldn't return it, so into the cache it went as a FTF prize.

Please don't propagate the concept of "First to Find Prizes". This was never intended to be the competition that it has turned out to be. Let's not make it any worse by offering any prize other than a blank log and a great cache experience for all.

I agree with the pooch with poor eyesight. I don't pay people to visit my caches with anything other than what I hope will be a fun experience. I HAVE randomly placed what I think is cool stuff at times after the FTF. Of course I have done this in caches that are not mine as well. And I don't mention anything in the logs about the random cool stuff. The reward is for those who find the cache because it is a worthwhile cache. Not because they are the FTF. ;)

Don't listen to these fuddy-duddies. Everyone plays the game differently and if you want to provide a first to find prize, then go ahead.

We, the Colonial Cats, offer our sincere condolences on the lost of your kitty. :) We have gone through this ourselves and it is a difficult process. You will never forget, you will just go forward.

We use a signature coin for our FTF prizes. 69b31444-d1ba-4a38-9526-ec7860f78ec3.jpg Everyone seems to enjoy them. Good luck with your cache.

I'm getting ready to start hiding some caches. I had planned to add some nice FTF stuff into my 1st hide, which will be a large lock-n-lock. The other hides will just have some nice startup swag in them, with an empty log book for the FTF to put ink to ;)

I had also thought about adding some really good swag into the hides after a number of finds. In my area we have what appears to be a group that grabs the new caches really quick on publishing (not a complaint, they all have large # of finds and are just clearing the area of new hides as soon as they publish) but I would like the more casual cacher to get something other than a McToy :)

It's amazing what you can find that constitutes "nice swag" for a cheap price if you really look for it....

I agree with the pooch with poor eyesight. I don't pay people to visit my caches with anything other than what I hope will be a fun experience. I HAVE randomly placed what I think is cool stuff at times after the FTF. Of course I have done this in caches that are not mine as well. And I don't mention anything in the logs about the random cool stuff. The reward is for those who find the cache because it is a worthwhile cache. Not because they are the FTF. :)

Don't listen to these fuddy-duddies. Everyone plays the game differently and if you want to provide a first to find prize, then go ahead.

We, the Colonial Cats, offer our sincere condolences on the lost of your kitty. :) We have gone through this ourselves and it is a difficult process. You will never forget, you will just go forward.

We use a signature coin for our FTF prizes. 69b31444-d1ba-4a38-9526-ec7860f78ec3.jpg Everyone seems to enjoy them. Good luck with your cache.

You sig coins are awesome!!! I thought about getting some wooden ones done.

Thanks for the ideas everybody. I think I'll get the whiskers travel tag and give an unactivated geocoin for the FTF. I like the one that's a "Found It" smiley.

For other swag, I've picked up some good ideas perusing the boards. I'll start picking things up a little at a time when I go to the store.

I also want to activate a separate travel bug with a mission to travel to a certain town in California where my in-laws live.

I bid on some ammo cans on an auction site so hopefully I'll win them. The nearest army surplus store in my area is a good hour and a half.