An intersting lake in Nevada

Bird Watcher 8

I recieved my MS and wrote a scientific paper on Walker Lake , Nevada in the late 70's and it continues to be of local scientific interest. Over "Geologic Time" the lake has continued to decline in elevation and become more saline. The native fishery is currently in jeopardy, including a once trophy Lahontan Cutthroat Trout fishery. I would be interested in developing an EarthCache on this lake and I think I could work in enough geo perspective for it to fly. What do you guys think? :ph34r:

One thing that comes to mind is the very distinct beach terraces left behind as the lake has receded. These are hundreds of feet above the current lake level

Edited by Bird Watcher 8

Sounds great! I've always been curious myself what makes some lakes "salty" and other ones not. You might also be able to talk about how the lake was formed and what's causing it to evaporate. For an educational task maybe you could even have people taste the water and describe how salty it is??

Let us know if and when you get it published. I'd love to read about it!

What are the chances of finding Sylvite? Perhaps have a comparision w/other salts??? Maybe work on an economic geologial use of salts???

Perhaps there may depressions up along the tops of the terraces, away from the present lake level, where the salts have evaporated

Edited by GEO WALKER

What are the chances of finding Sylvite? Perhaps have a comparision w/other salts??? Maybe work on an economic geologial use of salts???

Perhaps there may depressions up along the tops of the terraces, away from the present lake level, where the salts have evaporated

i was thinking more about how the salt concentration has increased over time in the lake in relation to man's activity upstream, and maybe have them point out the beach terraces in the valley left behind my the receding lake level. Maybe that would be the goal, to get them in a position to see the terraces and take a photo and answer a question related to the subject. Would something like that fly?

i was thinking more about how the salt concentration has increased over time in the lake in relation to man's activity upstream, and maybe have them point out the beach terraces in the valley left behind my the receding lake level. Maybe that would be the goal, to get them in a position to see the terraces and take a photo and answer a question related to the subject. Would something like that fly?

This should work...

The geomorph approach should work well and create an understanding of the vastness of the lake and the asscoiated landforms.

Edited by GEO WALKER