Frustrated and need help

Spelunker76

Just figured I would post and vent a little. Started geocaching a few days ago and the first 2 we went to find was great success but they did have alot of clues. Anyhow, just getting my feet wet here, I use a droid for my gps and its been great for road trips but Im not much of a hiker, matter of fact I tend to stay inside most days. Geocaching was kind of my excuse to get out and do some things so cool, sounds like fun. Like I said first day was great, second venture out, weve hunted after 4 caches and cant find them if our life depended on it so, I figured I would post up and see whats happening. I either go on geocaching and print out the coords and instructions and then load up the family and go search. Using my droid I use the coords given and it takes me to the area where the cache is but have no clue what Im lookin for. The first 2 I found were in a magnetic key holder and a bitg tupperware box although the key holder had great clues its the ones with just coords that are just baffling me. I follow them to the exact point and then search around the area and just cant seem to get it, its very frustrating to me. Any tips or advice on what im doing wrong here? Some of these are in highly public places and the odd looks ive been getting while I search in trees and phone booths, etc. are just hilarious. Only worry is for someone to call the cops or something because I just feel like Im being stared at. lol

Familiarize yourself on the forum with different containers ad techniques. Look foe easy caches.

well I thought I was doing that, after reading the replies that said it was easy but for some reason I just couldnt find them. Is there a uniform type of container people use?

Welcome Aboard.

Pick regular or large caches to start. No GPS will bring you right to the cache. When you get to what you thinkis the location put the gps away and start searching. Look for places you would hide a cache, look for signs of others searching, slowly expand your search in a larger circle(All gps have a certian amount of error) so be prepared to look in a larger area. Don't give up, sometimes it helps to back away from the area and approach again with the GPS. Some times it takes me several trips to find a difficult cache. You can also email the cache owner for a further hint. :laughing:

Welcome Aboard.

Pick regular or large caches to start. No GPS will bring you right to the cache. When you get to what you thinkis the location put the gps away and start searching. Look for places you would hide a cache, look for signs of others searching, slowly expand your search in a larger circle(All gps have a certian amount of error) so be prepared to look in a larger area. Don't give up, sometimes it helps to back away from the area and approach again with the GPS. Some times it takes me several trips to find a difficult cache. You can also email the cache owner for a further hint. :laughing:

Yeah, tried to think like that but just no luck. IS there a uniform type of container or can it be anything?

A cache container can be pretty much anything. There is no standard container.

Some tips when you are just starting out ....

1. Stick with difficulty 1 and 1.5 to start with.

2. Stick with Regular and Large size Traditional caches.

3. Use Google Maps to look at the area before you go out.

4. Read the previous finders logs for hints.

5. Once you get to the cache site, look for hiding places and things that are out of place. Think like a "hider".

Look for a local geocache event in your area and join along for the day. I'm also still new to this but I really learned alot at the first event. It encouraged me to go out and by a proper gps which I still need help to learn and how to load maps and caches. People in the groups are very helpful. Until I figure out how to use the gps properly. I continue to use my iphone which has been very accurate.

ok so never trust the exact point on a gps? I have been sort of doing that but Im just assuming that it will just take you to the general area.

Spelunker76, welcome to geocaching, it's fun and I'm also only using an Android phone. Do a search in the market for geocache, maybe you'll find another one in there that's better for you. Since I started in June, I'm 22 of 25, and one of those I suspect were muggled.

ok so never trust the exact point on a gps? I have been sort of doing that but Im just assuming that it will just take you to the general area.

Spelunker76, welcome to geocaching, it's fun and I'm also only using an Android phone. Do a search in the market for geocache, maybe you'll find another one in there that's better for you. Since I started in June, I'm 22 of 25, and one of those I suspect were muggled.

yeah, I was just thinking that the xoords were accurate and that it should be there but I guess I was wrong? Gonna do large cache for now but at a later day, im still kind of worked up over the last two trips were total failures, the app I was using kept backing out on me and the clues just didnt make sense to me at all yet I know I was right around where it was just couldnt put two and two together. The highly public ones without any clues are just pointless because Im sure they are micros, oh here I go ranting again. I just need to take a break and ill try it again some other day im sure. remembered reading about geocaching a long time ago and just thought it was stupid but it is fun when you can have a productive run. The walking is good for me but the high blood pressure isnt at all. :-) b y the way, what apps are you using?

Edited by Spelunker76

A regular can be anthing from a large lock&Lock(Tupperware) to an ammo box usually easy to find, only so many place to hide a larger object. A small is usually a smaller lock&lock(tupperware) or army decon box, little harder to find, easyer to hide. A micro is can be as small as a dime up to a 35mm film can. Very easy to hide and a lot harder to find. If your caching in town you will see a lot of micros, once you find a few it becomes a lot easier. I have a micro in a cemetery that is a dime sized magnet on a wraught Iron fence and a lot of people have trouble with it even thought the coords are right on. Some people pick it right out. Cam you hook up with some locals and go out with them a few times. Once you see a few it gets much easier.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Not all containers will be heavily camouflaged, but many of the smaller ones will be, especially in high-traffic areas where they need to be hidden well to survive.

Don't try urban caches or nanos straight off, some of these are proper hardcore and you can be looking for them for ages!

Try ones which are located in woodlands or other open spaces. It can take a while to get a 'cachers eye' but you can look for things which seem a bit out of place. e.g. Why is that rock right up against that tree stump? That stick doesn't look quite right.

It's amazing after a while how easily you can get an idea where things can be hidden and spot things which look like they might be concealing a cache behind them!

As others have said GPS can't take you to the exact spot, you can reckon that even if the hider had accurate coordinates that it could be anywhere within a 10 metre radius of where your GPS has taken you.

But the most important thing, is read cache description and the clue (at least 10 times!) and then read as many of the recent logs as you can.

One of my first ones had this in the cache description "Large car park so please take notice of the sign". Which you think is just telling me about the car parking situation? No, it took a while for the penny to drop that this was a clue! And lo and behold the cache was in the signpost!

Don't try urban caches or nanos straight off, some of these are proper hardcore and you can be looking for them for ages!

Try ones which are located in woodlands or other open spaces. It can take a while to get a 'cachers eye' but you can look for things which seem a bit out of place. e.g. Why is that rock right up against that tree stump? That stick doesn't look quite right.

It's amazing after a while how easily you can get an idea where things can be hidden and spot things which look like they might be concealing a cache behind them!

As others have said GPS can't take you to the exact spot, you can reckon that even if the hider had accurate coordinates that it could be anywhere within a 10 metre radius of where your GPS has taken you.

But the most important thing, is read cache description and the clue (at least 10 times!) and then read as many of the recent logs as you can.

One of my first ones had this in the cache description "Large car park so please take notice of the sign". Which you think is just telling me about the car parking situation? No, it took a while for the penny to drop that this was a clue! And lo and behold the cache was in the signpost!

well thanks for the help from all of you, Ill give it another go and start off in the noob cache supply and work my way up though its funny the first one I found was a micro magnetic key holder.

Don't sweat not finding them too much either. Some of the time they simply are not there to find. So don't be shy about putting in a DNF. They serve as a way to warn other cachers that the cache may be missing and to inform the cache owner to check that it is still there.

Unfortunately there are many instances where someone has placed a cache, but for whatever reason is no longer in a position to maintain it.

In addition to looking for 1/1's and caches that are "small" and larger, try concentrating on a particular hider's caches. Get to know that hider's "style" and methods, and see if that helps.

good advice as well, Ill report back how goes the next few hunts. Already scoping out a couple around my job and found a park that has 4 inside. :ph34r: Watch my luck I wont be able to locate any.

my wife and i have been caching for almost 3 years on and off.. and have over 90 finds (yes small numbers compared to some of you).... among those 90 finds, there have been caches we have had to visit 3-5 times before we found it.... then again other ive been able to spot from the car before we even parked....

its really just a question of developing the 'cachers-eye' as quoted before... once you find a few more, you will have a better understand of what to look for... such as trails off existing paths that lead "no where" ... or lots of foot prints heading in one direction.... you begin to think like a cacher!

Good Luck and WELCOME!!!

good advice as well, Ill report back how goes the next few hunts. Already scoping out a couple around my job and found a park that has 4 inside. :ph34r: Watch my luck I wont be able to locate any.

I've only found 25 so you could say I'm just getting started. But usually if I set out to find a batch of caches I'll manage to bag about 50% of them.

I've only found 25 so you could say I'm just getting started. But usually if I set out to find a batch of caches I'll manage to bag about 50% of them.

Argh, foiled again. lol went on a mini excursion and just couldnt locate it. Was a 1/1 too, I feel so stupid. SOmeone teach me the ways.

Well finally found a tricky little booger. was a 2.5/1.5 micro cleverly hidden in a camoed micro container. Luck found it but feel good I finally spotted one. Was only 2 miles from work so I figured lets try this one. Definitely opened my eyes as to the possiblities of how hard these can be to find sometimes. It does give you a fuzzy feeling once you find a tricky one.

Edited by Spelunker76

I would also do a forum search for lamppost cache... A lpc is a very common type, that unless you know what to look for you may never get it...

I know I had no idea that these hides even existed...

Could you link a few of those? Im coming up empty on my search on that one.

Familiarize yourself on the forum with different containers ad techniques. Look foe easy caches.

well I thought I was doing that, after reading the replies that said it was easy but for some reason I just couldnt find them. Is there a uniform type of container people use?

Welcome to caching!!

There are so many different containers that folks use; but some common ones are those key holders, film canisters, ammo cans, and tupperware type containers of all sizes. It will take you a while to get your "geosenses" working, so don't get too discouraged.

Like some other posters have said, search for regular or large containers at first that have a 1 or 2 difficulty rating.

And even if someone before you says the cache was easy, that doesn't mean it will be for everyone, especially someone who is new. Trust me though, pretty soon you'll be that person who says "thanks for the cache and dash" on a difficulty 3 or more.... just keep trying!

One suggestion I always give is to try to meet up with local cachers, or attend an event and get to know other local cachers, and see if someone can take you on a cache outing and show you the ropes. It can be really helpful!

I also recommend HeadHardHat's Geosnippits (you can find them on Youtube). They are really well done videos. I pretty much recommend them to everyone...

Happy caching!

I would also do a forum search for lamppost cache... A lpc is a very common type, that unless you know what to look for you may never get it...

An LPC is a cache that's hidden under the metal skirt at the bottom of a lamp post. They are extremely common, at least in the US.

An LPC is a cache that's hidden under the metal skirt at the bottom of a lamp post. They are extremely common, at least in the US.

hmmmm, I discovered this on another hunt by accident and I bet it was under there I just didnt look hard enough.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Ok I think Ive broke my losing streak and Im starting to get the hang of this now. Found a 2.5/1.5 cache and a 1.5/2 difficulty although the 1.5 stumped me longer than the 2.5 did. Found some really great hiding places and its hilarious how close I was at first and beat all around them till I found the cache. Loads of fun. I really like knowing that there are loads of these just anywhere you can imagine waiting to be found! Im hooked. :)

Got my first TB today and Im gonna give it a good journey this weekend when I can travel a good bit. Happy Caching!

Ok I think Ive broke my losing streak and Im starting to get the hang of this now. Found a 2.5/1.5 cache and a 1.5/2 difficulty although the 1.5 stumped me longer than the 2.5 did. Found some really great hiding places and its hilarious how close I was at first and beat all around them till I found the cache. Loads of fun. I really like knowing that there are loads of these just anywhere you can imagine waiting to be found! Im hooked. :)

Got my first TB today and Im gonna give it a good journey this weekend when I can travel a good bit. Happy Caching!

Of course the difficulty ratings are entirely arbitrary, you may get a hider who thinks the difficulty is 1.5 but another hider hiding the same cache could rate it as a 3.

Yeah, tried to think like that but just no luck. IS there a uniform type of container or can it be anything?

I suggest simply going to Google and do a quick search on Geocache Containers Then click on the IMAGES link at the top. My search returned 33,600 pictures. Should give you a better idea what you're looking for. After finding some you'll get the feel for it. If you're still having trouble maybe see if you can locate someone in your area who is experienced and see if they would mind you tagging along on a few finds.

Edited by bwilliamson

I suggest simply going to Google and do a quick search on Geocache Containers Then click on the IMAGES link at the top. My search returned 33,600 pictures. Should give you a better idea what you're looking for. After finding some you'll get the feel for it. If you're still having trouble maybe see if you can locate someone in your area who is experienced and see if they would mind you tagging along on a few finds.

I kind of like the eureka! moments where you figure stuff out on your own. Im doing pretty good now just gotta think outside the box thats for sure. Gives me something to do and gets me off my a**. thanks for the advice. :)

Whatever you do, don't give up. I've had mixed success and yea it's frustrating. I have one in particular that I went back to and it was slap me in the face obvious. I don’t know how I missed it the first time except that I didn’t know what I was looking for. These containers can be anything, anything at all. I’m slowly getting better and getting near where it’s supposed to be and then putting down the GPS and looking for something out of place. Someone here suggested it already but I found that looking on ebay for cache containers was eye opening.

So far my favorite find was one that was on a defunct fire hydrant disguised as an extra nozzle.

Just this weekend there was one that I had just given up on when I turned around and there it was. I was really glad I found that one too since it was the first time we had my mother-in-law along. I really didn’t want her to say, “oh gee guys romping through the park looking for mysterious things that don’t exist was a great time, no really next time you’re heading out DO call me.” whew

I’m heading off on a trip and intentionally did not download any microcaches. I’m ok with them in my own hometown but on vacation I don’t think I want to even try it.

Whatever you do, don't give up. I've had mixed success and yea it's frustrating. I have one in particular that I went back to and it was slap me in the face obvious. I don’t know how I missed it the first time except that I didn’t know what I was looking for. These containers can be anything, anything at all. I’m slowly getting better and getting near where it’s supposed to be and then putting down the GPS and looking for something out of place. Someone here suggested it already but I found that looking on ebay for cache containers was eye opening.

So far my favorite find was one that was on a defunct fire hydrant disguised as an extra nozzle.

Just this weekend there was one that I had just given up on when I turned around and there it was. I was really glad I found that one too since it was the first time we had my mother-in-law along. I really didn’t want her to say, “oh gee guys romping through the park looking for mysterious things that don’t exist was a great time, no really next time you’re heading out DO call me.” whew

I’m heading off on a trip and intentionally did not download any microcaches. I’m ok with them in my own hometown but on vacation I don’t think I want to even try it.

I got it now just need to hone my skills and probably get a more reliable gps than this droid, it works great when it works but sometimes I just have to tuck tail and count my losses which adds its own realm of difficulty but still I like to have reliable equiplment and I think im hooked at this geocaching. Im skating off work for a few minutes and using my lunch breaks to go venture off and find caches now. its great!