GeoCoins

I have a question, why does a cache still show a GeoCoin when the coin has been missing for 2 years? We head to a cache all excited because it shows a cool looking coin in the cache, get there and nothing! Sometimes no swag either.. I am not big on swag, my kids are and I have a heck of a time trying to get them to trade fair, or even worse leaving something better, lol. But we do OK, they are coming to understand why we do that. None of us understand why a missing coin is still "sitting" in a cache. Who is taking these coins? First timers who decide they can make a new name and keep a coin? Cache owners, see a cool coin in their cache and snatch it up? I went to a cache that was a Hotel, it showed a few TBs, and Coins, once again nothing. When I get home I search back through logs and find the items have been missing for quite a while. I notice cachers are sending out photo copies of coins, keeping the real one at home. This is sort of lame, I see why they do it, just think a copy made on the computer is not near as interesting as the real deal. Maybe I need to buy a couple and send them out to become victims of whatever to truly understand. I seen a hollow coin for sale on the internet, maybe put a GPS tracker inside and really track the coin, get to the bottom of the missing coins once and for all!

cordell

When you go to a cache that says it has a geocoin and the coin is missing, do you mark it as missing?

No?

That's why.

well yes I do, if there is a official why that will disable it than No. But I do put a "note" stating the coin/TB is missing.

After this long of time, either the cache owner or the coin owner should mark the lost coin as missing so it does not show up in the inventory.

While I do not expect to see any coin that I release, the majority of them have disappeared. I just marked one of them as missing today. I have tried to limit their mission to a narrow geographic range, with mixed success since people often do not read the note in the coin case before picking it up and moving it. But given the attrition rate, I probably will not release any more, except for coins designed to stay as residents of my own out of the way caches.

It's an unfortunate part if the game.

Like this, notes left on trackable page...

Tracking History (14278.1mi) View Map

* 01-10 of 38 records ·

* next ›

* last »

Write note 07/03/2010 carrie12 posted a note for it Visit Log

I also didnt see it. went to grab and move today but did not find no travel bugs or coins :laughing:

I did leave a travel bug though ;)

Write note 05/29/2010 BaytownBert posted a note for it Visit Log

A friend tells me this travel bug is no longer in this cache.

After this long of time, either the cache owner or the coin owner should mark the lost coin as missing so it does not show up in the inventory.

It's an unfortunate part if the game.

OK thats what I was wondering, either coin or cache owner can take it out of the inventory. Certainly if it popped back up it can be put back into play I would imagine.

Thanks!

Our first coin was missing for a long time before I found out about marking it as "missing".

But the cache where it disappeared was archived due to constant muggling. It was the cache owner who put it in his cache, when he knew that his cache had a habit of going missing.

And a coin we placed went missing immediately after we dropped it in a cache. None of the following finders posted about "no coin to be found", so we wondered for a long time what happened.

I do believe cache owners can also mark coins/tb's as missing from their caches.

It's very helpful if finders would add some comments about missing coins/tb's in their "found it" logs, or posted notes both on the cache page and on the traveller's page.

Posting "discovered" notes is helpful, too....lets traveller owners know that their coins/tb's are still in a cache and haven't gone missing.