Looking For A Magic Phone

OK advice is required and I just know that you will be able to advise accordingly. I have just recently travelled all around the Devon and Cornish Coast, starting at Ilminster and ending eventually at Minehead, via Lands End. My problem was that I ran out of caches on my Oregon at Plymouth. So could do no caches after that as had no viable means. The PQ's and capacity of the Oregon just did not suffice. In honesty did not think that we were going that far to begin with! At Megavissey met another cacher who was using a phone and the geocaching apps I presume, who gave me a couple of co-ords for later. seemed a magic piece of kit.

I need one of these magic phones like that, but currently I am locked in to a 18 month tariff on a normal Nokia 5130. So I would like to buy a phone that would enable me to have gps and geocaching apps and sat map which I could use as a Pay as You Go, with the ability to 'Bolt On' I believe its called for the odd month giving me unlimited Internet access and the same sort of magic that he had. There is a recession so do not want to spend a fortune. Advice would be most appreciated. :laughing:;);)

OK advice is required and I just know that you will be able to advise accordingly. I have just recently travelled all around the Devon and Cornish Coast, starting at Ilminster and ending eventually at Minehead, via Lands End. My problem was that I ran out of caches on my Oregon at Plymouth. So could do no caches after that as had no viable means. The PQ's and capacity of the Oregon just did not suffice. In honesty did not think that we were going that far to begin with! At Megavissey met another cacher who was using a phone and the geocaching apps I presume, who gave me a couple of co-ords for later. seemed a magic piece of kit.

I need one of these magic phones like that, but currently I am locked in to a 18 month tariff on a normal Nokia 5130. So I would like to buy a phone that would enable me to have gps and geocaching apps and sat map which I could use as a Pay as You Go, with the ability to 'Bolt On' I believe its called for the odd month giving me unlimited Internet access and the same sort of magic that he had. There is a recession so do not want to spend a fortune. Advice would be most appreciated. :laughing:;);)

Here are 2 ideas for you, bth involve a bit of preperation, in pownloading your GPX Files...

1) Not really looked at your phone type but one idea for you is SmartGPX, it requires a symbian based phone but does not need a GPS. YOU can search for caches by lat and long by name and various ways it can take 1000's of Caches as far as I can remember. Do not be scared of funny install instructions the are dead easy...

SMartGPX

I am not certain if this will run on your phone...

2) It seems your phone has a Mico SD Reader... As some one on here suggested and what I have since prepared but never had to do in the field just yet... It works for maps is in My CUstom Map folder I have the maps I am using...

Out side it I have prepared maps that if I needed to I just drop into the folder using my phones file manager software...

I think it is possible to keep your GPX files on your your MIcro SD Card? (Some one will be along to let us know how or to tell me I am talking rubbish as normal) Then you can just do the same with GPX files...

Well there are 2 ideas lets see who else comes along...

Yes I see what you are saying and I do have a PDA with Memory Map on. The fact is though that one never really knows where one may end up and a phone connection to the internet will give up to date info, also allow you to log in on line as well. something that you have loaded onto a card you can almost guarantee when you try to find it you cannot, and when you eventually get home find it has been temp disabled. Those are two ideas though and thanks for that, I feel the PAYG phone with a Bolt on and Geo apps may be simpler....I think!

Perhaps just try accessing the geocaching.com website from your phone

You'll need a data bolt on however as the geocaching site is very data heavy. It's always greatly confused me why a website dealing with an outdoor pursuit should not have a 'mobile' version, after all that would work with nearly all phones which have a web browser, rather than just iPhone which they have the app for.

You'll need a data bolt on however as the geocaching site is very data heavy. It's always greatly confused me why a website dealing with an outdoor pursuit should not have a 'mobile' version, after all that would work with nearly all phones which have a web browser, rather than just iPhone which they have the app for.

They do http://wap.geocaching.com , it's been available for years. However, it is VERY lightweight :ph34r: .

Rgds, Andy

Yes I see what you are saying and I do have a PDA with Memory Map on. The fact is though that one never really knows where one may end up and a phone connection to the internet will give up to date info, also allow you to log in on line as well. something that you have loaded onto a card you can almost guarantee when you try to find it you cannot, and when you eventually get home find it has been temp disabled. Those are two ideas though and thanks for that, I feel the PAYG phone with a Bolt on and Geo apps may be simpler....I think!

If you have a GPS-enabled PDA, you can use one of the applications about which we must not speak to "spot" for the Oregon in the same way that I did for my Dakota. Unfortunately, the application on my PDA takes so long to load 4,000 caches from GPX files that I never updated the cache details once loaded into that application.

An alternative is to take a netbook or laptop with you with GSAK loaded. You can then run a few pocket queries before you go (I need six, overlapping, PQs of 1000 each to get all the caches in Devon and Cornwall), load them into GSAK, then run a filter in GSAK to transfer the caches in the area you are to your Oregon. This is what I try to do.

If you don't have GSAK or can't be bothered running a filter or two, you can download multiple pocket queries and store them on your SD card with a "GP_" extension (or similar). You then use a laptop to change the one you want to use back to GPX and rename the old in use PQ to "whatever.GP_".

If you need to update your cache database or log your finds, a mobile broadband dongle for a laptop will probably work out a lot cheaper than buying a smartphone and I suspect that you can buy a netbook and mobile broadband dongle for less than the cost of most Pay-as-you-go smartphones. You may wish to upload your field notes from your Oregon to make logging your finds easier, and you'll be able to do this with a mobile-broadband-equipped netbook/laptop but won't with most smartphones.

HTH,

Geoff

They do http://wap.geocaching.com , it's been available for years. However, it is VERY lightweight :ph34r: .

Rgds, Andy

Yep, I was aware of that, as you say it's a bit "too" lightweight! They could have a happy medium as phones have reasonably big screens these days which can show a good amount of text, just need to cut down on the images etc, but make the mobile website have almost all the features of the full site.

Just how many caches do you want to find?

The oregon hold 2000, have you thought of a laptop!

When you run out of caches, pull up outside a McD's or similar and Wifi some more. you could do some logs as well.

Depends on the model of Oregon, my 550 holds 5000 caches!

J

I have a PDA that I load about 700 text files 'linked to icons on Memory Map' on a 2Gb SD card. What I do if I am going to go to different areas is to duplicate my main files on a couple of more SD cards then load the relevant maps and another 700 text files on each one. Just swap the SD card over and away you go and of course you can carry as many SD cards as you want.

OK, so now I have gone out and purchased a HTC Wildfire Mobile Phone (Android) The question now is can I download Geocache Navigator apps and how? The provider is Vodaphone. :);)

Welcome aboard - get yourself Geobeagle from Android market and start loading PQs :ph34r:

I'm still waiting for the Holy Grail (don't say Ni!!) of the ability to download *all* the caches in the entire country and have them with me on my phone - with the ability to update regularly too.

Before you say "Oh that's impossible, there would be far too many". I have OS 1:50,000 maps of the whole of the UK on my phone, it copes. I have TomTom with street level maps of the whole of Western Europe on my phone, and it works fine. Geocache listings for the entire UK would be as nothing!

I'm still waiting for the Holy Grail (don't say Ni!!) of the ability to download *all* the caches in the entire country and have them with me on my phone - with the ability to update regularly too.

Before you say "Oh that's impossible, there would be far too many". I have OS 1:50,000 maps of the whole of the UK on my phone, it copes. I have TomTom with street level maps of the whole of Western Europe on my phone, and it works fine. Geocache listings for the entire UK would be as nothing!

Go on then... Have a guess at how big a Pocket Query it would be for the whole of the Uk! And let me know how much free space you have on your phone too.

Jon

Edited by Dakar4x4

Go on then... Have a guess at how big a Pocket Query it would be for the whole of the Uk! And let me know how much free space you have on your phone too.

Well that would be difficult without two basic bits of information. Namely, the number of caches in the UK, and the average size of each of the entries. We'll assume for the moment they just contain the basic information, no photos etc.

Well that would be difficult without two basic bits of information. Namely, the number of caches in the UK, and the average size of each of the entries. We'll assume for the moment they just contain the basic information, no photos etc.

According to iCache when it was around a few months back, a full Uk PQ was 288Mb unzipped! That's one hell of a GPX file to parse!

Jon.

According to iCache when it was around a few months back, a full Uk PQ was 288Mb unzipped! That's one hell of a GPX file to parse!

288Mb, is that all? As I say, it's nothing.

My phone has a capacity of 32Gb.

The TomTom application takes 3Gb.

The UK maps take 2Gb.

Sure, you won't want to be storing that just as a flat file, you'll want some database infrastructure behind it to enable things to be retrieved quickly, but even if that doubles the size that's still only 600Mb-ish. I wouldn't even notice that space being taken on my phone.

Jon

This is a complete guess, let's say 2GB for all UK caches including 5 most recent logs? If that's anywhere near right, it's a flea bite compared to the storage on a modern phone, I have several and they all have 32GB or more.

Rgds, Andy

288Mb, is that all? As I say, it's nothing.

My phone has a capacity of 32Gb.

The TomTom application takes 3Gb.

The UK maps take 2Gb.

Sure, you won't want to be storing that just as a flat file, you'll want some database infrastructure behind it to enable things to be retrieved quickly, but even if that doubles the size that's still only 600Mb-ish. I wouldn't even notice that space being taken on my phone.

Hmm... I'm not convinced the current mobile apps would handle a file of that size - maybe someone who's got the whole of the UK in GSAK could advise if they've tried exporting somethng that size to a mobile app?

J

Hmm... I'm not convinced the current mobile apps would handle a file of that size - maybe someone who's got the whole of the UK in GSAK could advise if they've tried exporting somethng that size to a mobile app?

As I've said a single file of that size, well no, it would be too big to search through serially. But you just need to organise it into some sort of database format, which can be searched by location and it can be any size you like.

As I say, TomTom comes in at 2Gb, and mobiles can handle it with ease.

Don't underestimate the power of modern phones, they are of the level of desktop computers from just a few years ago.

Obviously if you included *everything* such as photos, satellite images, map squares etc, it would push the requirements way out of what's possible, but if you just have the basic description, hint, and a few logs, then no problem at all.

Edited by markhewitt1978

As I've said a single file of that size, well no, it would be too big to search through serially. But you just need to organise it into some sort of database format, which can be searched by location and it can be any size you like.

As I say, TomTom comes in at 2Gb, and mobiles can handle it with ease.

Don't underestimate the power of modern phones, they are of the level of desktop computers from just a few years ago.

Obviously if you included *everything* such as photos, satellite images, map squares etc, it would push the requirements way out of what's possible, but if you just have the basic description, hint, and a few logs, then no problem at all.

It's not so much the phone's physical capacity, it's the apps I'm thinking about. Having the big file isn't a problem, lots of folks on here already have the whole of the UK in GSAK. It's having something that will handle it and present the data in a meaningful way. Memory Map and HTML files per geocache? Memory Map & Cachemate? Anyone know what record/waypoint limits they have?

J

It's not so much the phone's physical capacity, it's the apps I'm thinking about. Having the big file isn't a problem, lots of folks on here already have the whole of the UK in GSAK. It's having something that will handle it and present the data in a meaningful way. Memory Map and HTML files per geocache? Memory Map & Cachemate? Anyone know what record/waypoint limits they have?

Well; I wasn't thinking about the likes of memory map, although that could possibly work. But more like the Geocaching iPhone application where the normal function is that you "Search for nearby caches" and it interrogates Groundspeak's servers to pull out the caches nearest to you.

I would envisage it working in the same manner except that it would pull the caches out of the database stored on the phone instead.

Well; I wasn't thinking about the likes of memory map, although that could possibly work. But more like the Geocaching iPhone application where the normal function is that you "Search for nearby caches" and it interrogates Groundspeak's servers to pull out the caches nearest to you.

I would envisage it working in the same manner except that it would pull the caches out of the database stored on the phone instead.

The iPhone app works with PQ's doesn't it? Can someone try doing a full UK GPX export from GSAK and seeing if the app can handle it?

J

If you're on a 3G iPhone, you can't download ANY PQs at the moment, let alone 1 PQ for the whole UK.

In theory though, there's no reason why it *shouldn't* work, in theory, as the smallest iPhone is 8GB capable.

However, to get the PQ onto the iPhone you first (I believe) have to upload it to gc.com then pull it to the phone.

Regardless of the time it would take to up/download, that would be a massive dent on a 3G allocation from a provider!

Regardless of the time it would take to up/download, that would be a massive dent on a 3G allocation from a provider!

Not really, you just have to make sure you do it while on wifi.

Indeed. I thought of that after I had hit "add reply" and then got interrupted and forgot to edit the message!

Have done everything I believe that has to be done with Geobeagle, put in my 'alternate e-mail', but still not sure how this will get to my mobile phone. have that feeling that I am missing something somewhere. Have geog on the mobile, have done the PQ's...now just waiting, but exactly where the PQ's will turn up I have very little idea. :);):ph34r:

Have done everything I believe that has to be done with Geobeagle, put in my 'alternate e-mail', but still not sure how this will get to my mobile phone. have that feeling that I am missing something somewhere. Have geog on the mobile, have done the PQ's...now just waiting, but exactly where the PQ's will turn up I have very little idea. :);):ph34r:

Just go to your PQ download page using your phone and download the PQ! Your phone will save it to SD/downloads, and Geobeagle will look there for PQs first :ph34r::anicute:

what the cheapest option is I don't know but I'd sugest a Blackberry phone that can run the CacheBerry (now CacheSence) programme . It would allow you to load many pq's on to a memory card and then load them to the cachesence programme . You can log them on the phone and have the ability to email the logs back to your desktop for logging at your convenience when you get home.

I keep 4 databases - Ireland North , Ireland South , Scotland and a database of all the Coin and TB hotels and Motorway madness caches in the UK because I never know where I'll end up at the weekends as a long distance HGV driver. Somewhere around 6000 caches in total and all loaded into a 765T Nuvi as well . Keeps me out of mischief ..just

I use a Garmin iQue 3600, basically a Palm PDA with built in GPSr, with a 2Gb SD card and have CacheMate installed. The Palm version of CacheMate chucks a bit of a wobbly if the database contains more than 32767 entries so I've split the country up into 3 separate databases... North, East and West. Each area containing roughly 1/3 of the total UK cache populations (around 20,000 caches per area).

This is regularly updated from my GSAK "All UK" database using a simple macro so wherever I find myself, I can do a CacheMate search for 'Nearest Caches' on the iQue and download them to my 60CSx via the serial port. There's no need to hold more than a few dozen on the 60CSx at any time.

OK... I have no facility for going 'on-line' in the field but then again, I've never really felt the need to. That works for me and has done so ever since I acquired the iQue in 2003.

I have also loaded geobeagle onto my HTC Wildfire, but seem to have not found out how to transfer the PQ to it from the PC. It must be simple enough, but it tells me I have the wrong logins?? So I'll start again I think as you made it sound so easy. :laughing::huh:;):D

I have also loaded geobeagle onto my HTC Wildfire, but seem to have not found out how to transfer the PQ to it from the PC. It must be simple enough, but it tells me I have the wrong logins?? So I'll start again I think as you made it sound so easy. :laughing::huh:;):D

Don't bother transferring it from your PC to the phone - just download it directly to the phone in the first place.

Have done everything I believe that has to be done with Geobeagle, put in my 'alternate e-mail', but still not sure how this will get to my mobile phone. have that feeling that I am missing something somewhere. Have geog on the mobile, have done the PQ's...now just waiting, but exactly where the PQ's will turn up I have very little idea. :):):D

Just go to your PQ download page using your phone and download the PQ! Your phone will save it to SD/downloads, and Geobeagle will look there for PQs first :D :D

1.Using your phones browser, go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

------ OR, if you've got a barcode reader app installed, point it at this pqpage.jpg

2. Now, go to the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab, click it, and in the page that opens, choose your PQ from the list.

3. Your phone will download the PQ, and save it to a folder called "Downloads" on your SD card.

4. Now, when you open geobeagle, click "menu", "Sync caches".

5. Geobeagle will now show you a list of PQs it has found in /SD/Downloads. Select the first one to load (any of them if you downloaded more than one), and it will unzip the PQ and load all caches into memory.

6. Go caching :laughing:

Edited by keehotee

1.Using your phones browser, go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/default.aspx

2. Now, go to the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab, click it, and in the page that opens, choose your PQ from the list.

3. Your phone will download the PQ, and save it to a folder called "Downloads" on your SD card.

5. Geobeagle will now show you a list of PQs it has found in /SD/Downloads. Select the first one to load (any of them if you downloaded more than one), and it will unzip the PQ and load all caches into memory.

6. Go caching :D

That sounds soooooo long winded ..... quick and easier on the iphone using the Groundspeak app :D:):)

6. Go caching :)

That sounds soooooo long winded ..... quick and easier on the iphone using the Groundspeak app :D:rolleyes::lol:

:rolleyes: Also quicker and far easier on Android using "the-app-that-shall-not-be-named" - but until GS release a legal version of the iphone app for Android, we're tied to only talking about PQ using apps on these forums ;)

Right did all that and all went well up to a point! When I go to (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) (Geobeagle) and click menu I do not get anything about Sync Caches. I get the three following options> Settings, Navigation, Type of caches. So i go to settings which brings me to a log in page of geocaching .com with the following options:

Exclude my caches, Description Autoload, All Imperial, Hide Images, Identify as Browser. I have them all highlighted with the exception of hide images.

However when I go to the list in geobeagle and select say Hastings, it finds the caches! So it does work, how now though does one delete them!

All this techie stuff gives one an adrenaline rush! Well it does me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

OK, so now I have gone out and purchased a HTC Wildfire Mobile Phone (Android) The question now is can I download Geocache Navigator apps and how? The provider is Vodaphone. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Geocaching.com are currently working on an app for Android phones.

Which is way overdue GeoBeagle is out now and also Free :lol:

enjoy your Droid phone Gralorn :rolleyes:

I would be lost without mine

I use a free app called (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) - no need for pocket queries, it just picks up local caches on the fly

it seems very accurate too on my HTC Desire

eats batteries like a starving monster though, so I tend to only use it when I don't have my Oregon handy or I'm unexpectedly somewhere that I hadn't pre-loaded the Oregon to cover

enjoy your Droid phone Gralorn :rolleyes:

I would be lost without mine

I use a free app called (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) - no need for pocket queries, it just picks up local caches on the fly

it seems very accurate too on my HTC Desire

eats batteries like a starving monster though, so I tend to only use it when I don't have my Oregon handy or I'm unexpectedly somewhere that I hadn't pre-loaded the Oregon to cover

oops! had no idea I was using one of the verboten apps. what a pity it's unauthorized, as it's really very good