Anyone carrying SPOT for safety reasons?

In the Ocala National Forest I get almost no cell coverage. But there are lots of nice caches up there. If something happens, then what? How do I even tell someone where I am at that moment? My phone doesn't work well. Even if I am in any condition to unlock the screen, press the app for 911, how will my broken up message to 911 help me?

Even with the tree cover, I have a better chance at pressing one button, having someone understand that I need help at these coordinates, and coming to help--without me having to try to talk.

The basic model is $100. That's all I need. That's not much money when we are talking about $200 and $300+ GPSrs. $100 per year? My AAA is more than that, and I don't use that too much either. But when I need it--there is no substitute.

I would use it on my bike trips, too, just in case.

I am glad I posted this question. The feedback has been great! Thank you.

Edited by MightyParagon

In the Ocala National Forest I get almost no cell coverage. But there are lots of nice caches up there. If something happens, then what? How do I even tell someone where I am at that moment? My phone doesn't work well. Even if I am in any condition to unlock the screen, press the app for 911, how will my broken up message to 911 help me?

Even with the tree cover, I have a better chance at pressing one button, having someone understand that I need help at these coordinates, and coming to help--without me having to try to talk.

The basic model is $100. That's all I need. That's not much money when we are talking about $200 and $300+ GPSrs. $100 per year? My AAA is more than that, and I don't use that too much either. But when I need it--there is no substitute.

I would use it on my bike trips, too, just in case.

I am glad I posted this question. The feedback has been great! Thank you.

There's an app for 911? :laughing:

Wouldn't it be just as easy to umm... I dunno... dial 911? :huh:

People still buy AAA?

Why not? Who is going to tow me home if my car breaks down? Or come help me with a battery issue? They have also added motorcycle coverage.

And yeah, there is an app for 911. It dials after a set amount of time. One touch instead of three. Well, three or more. On my phone, it doesn't default to the keypad for the phone. So I have to select the phone, then call. Whereas the app is right there on the home screen, and all I would have to do is touch it.

Edited by MightyParagon

I attempted to use AAA's towing 2 times and then got rid of it in short order. I rarely get stuck so I just use my free tows from my normal car insurance or pay for the tow which is much cheaper than paying for AAA.

Average tow here has cost me about $80.

Price for AMA is $90 a year and include lock out service, trip planning, discounts at hotels, points when refueling that can be used towards membership dues, they will bring you gas if you run out, they will come and change a flat tire for you, boost your car when the battery dies and many other things aside from the towing.

I have never had to wait more than 45 minutes for service (although I have never had to use it during a storm or anything).

Very much worth it for me as I am a courier that drives about 200kms a day 5-6 days a week.

Umm... I think I went a tad off topic with my verbal spewage.

I do plan on buying a spot though. I and the wife were caching in the mountains this week without cell service and encountered a bear.

SPOT would help them find our scattered bones.

Edited by brslk

My last tow would have cost me over $200.00 had I had to pay for it myself. My $89.95 payment to Paragon is well worth what I pay for it. I carry the 'gold star' type plan that gives me a 100 mile towing plan.

I travel daily for business and have only one vehicle so having it (and me) returned to my local garage is very, very important to me. Had I had to leave it in a shop local to where it broke down, I would have had a real problem getting me and my stuff on down the highway to home.

I want one of the Spot or something like it. My only problem right now is trying to figure out who to put on the emergency call list...any volunteers.. :laughing:

I have a basic SPOT and I have the full subscription with tracks. To me basic subscription isn't good enough. Like others have said, SPOT may have trouble sending out depending on whether one is in a canyon or dense cover, etc. So, if something happens, a "911" or "ok" may not go out. Also, what happens if I'm unable to send the signal? What isn't sent can be as important as what is sent. If I run into a problem and am a late hiker, or whatever, at least there will be some trace of where I've been and where I was heading. That certainly gives SAR a good place to start a search.

Having a SPOT does not negate the need to be prepared for a mishap nor for proper planning but it does provide an important tool for when things go bad.

Memorial day I was way out in the boonies (It is what it is...) on my dirt bike and had a mishap and injured my knee. There is a good chance nobody has been in that area since I was there. Thankfully, I was able to ride out but I was sure glad I had SPOT along just in case I wouldn't have been.

Edited by Corfman Clan

Or you could get your own Iridium phone. That way even your mother in law could get in contact with you.. up... there.. on... mt. Helens.... arh forget about it :)

Well anyways.. Iridiums works everywhere, so if youre injured but still able, you could call 911 yourself. I don't know if SPOT is "allways on" or if it has to be activated before you can be located.. in that case i would just as easily grab an Iridium phone.

The choice is yours.. remember: Youre born into this world with 2 bags.. one is labelled and filled with "luck" and the othe one is empty and labelled "Experience" - the task is to fill the "Experience" one, before the other one runs dry.

Safe Caching ;)

Bitflux

Edited by Bitflux

I'm curious, has anyone ever used their SPOT to send a 911 or need help message? I bring my dad caching with me sometimes, and we fish and hunt together often. A couple years ago he developed a potentially life-threatening beesting allergy, so we got him a SPOT. We've used it to send "I'm okay" messages to my mom when we're travelling and are out of cell phone range. It's worked lots of times, but for some reason it didn't manage to send an "I'm okay" message once last week. I have no idea why, and it's an older model that doesn't tell you if the message has been sent successfully or not.

We were out in the backcountry last Friday, doing our first real canoe trip with a 45-year-old fibreglass canoe that weighs about 125 pounds (this is more than my body weight, so portaging is difficult!). We have a small outboard that we used to increase our travel speed and we had travelled about 10km (7ish miles for you Americans) along a small river. We had just finished our first portage EVER (only 300m, but when you're a 60-year-old guy and a small young woman carrying a freaking heavy canoe, that's a big deal) when my dad slipped on the rocks, fell, and dislocated his left shoulder. We debated using the SPOT device, but we didn't know what kind of help would come or how long it would take to get there. In the end we had to pull the canoe back, scratching the bottom, with me dragging at the front and my dad lifting at the back with his one good arm. Once we got past the rapids and into the water, we were in the clear. It took us three hours to get out of the backcountry to the truck and another hour to get to the nearest hospital. I'd be interested to hear about anyone using their SPOT device to signal for help - would that have been the fastest way to get my dad to the hospital? Is there a cost if they have to send a helicopter to rescue you?

For those who are concerned, I have decided that trips requiring portaging, when I can't carry the canoe by myself and my dad could only carry it himself for a short distance, are probably too risky to attempt as a two-person team in the future. I think I need to acquire a boyfriend with large muscles. :)

I'm curious, has anyone ever used their SPOT to send a 911 or need help message? I bring my dad caching with me sometimes, and we fish and hunt together often. A couple years ago he developed a potentially life-threatening beesting allergy, so we got him a SPOT. We've used it to send "I'm okay" messages to my mom when we're travelling and are out of cell phone range. It's worked lots of times, but for some reason it didn't manage to send an "I'm okay" message once last week. I have no idea why, and it's an older model that doesn't tell you if the message has been sent successfully or not.

We were out in the backcountry last Friday, doing our first real canoe trip with a 45-year-old fibreglass canoe that weighs about 125 pounds (this is more than my body weight, so portaging is difficult!). We have a small outboard that we used to increase our travel speed and we had travelled about 10km (7ish miles for you Americans) along a small river. We had just finished our first portage EVER (only 300m, but when you're a 60-year-old guy and a small young woman carrying a freaking heavy canoe, that's a big deal) when my dad slipped on the rocks, fell, and dislocated his left shoulder. We debated using the SPOT device, but we didn't know what kind of help would come or how long it would take to get there. In the end we had to pull the canoe back, scratching the bottom, with me dragging at the front and my dad lifting at the back with his one good arm. Once we got past the rapids and into the water, we were in the clear. It took us three hours to get out of the backcountry to the truck and another hour to get to the nearest hospital. I'd be interested to hear about anyone using their SPOT device to signal for help - would that have been the fastest way to get my dad to the hospital? Is there a cost if they have to send a helicopter to rescue you?

For those who are concerned, I have decided that trips requiring portaging, when I can't carry the canoe by myself and my dad could only carry it himself for a short distance, are probably too risky to attempt as a two-person team in the future. I think I need to acquire a boyfriend with large muscles. :)

regarding the boyfriend with muscles:

make sure he has a brain, is kind and compassionate.

I'm curious, has anyone ever used their SPOT to send a 911 or need help message?

See post #28 above.

You are asking that in here? It is doubtful since it requires having more than two nickels to rub together to obtain one.

Cotati... when was the last time you posted something really helpful here? I'm serious... it seems like all you do is to post some borderline abusive blather, then leave. I'm sure you are full of information that posters would find helpful... how about trying to share some of it once in a while. And by that, I mean something other than sharing your "wisdom" of "why are you wasting your time asking that here?" kind of blather. Try to contribute once in a while, please?

^That. And put a shirt on! Oh wait... no need anymore. :)

On edit: You have been caching for awhile now and undoubtedly have some experience to share with others.

Why the drive by insults? If you don't agree with the situation you find yourself in then try to make it better.

Insults and belittling the people that share the same hobby as you should not be nearly as fulfilling as helping them become better at the hobby you share.

No need to prom everybodys poush.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution and I don't see you offering many solutions.

Edited by brslk

Maybe in more populated areas it works well. I had wasted money on it for years. Tried 2 different occasions to use it. Ended up costing me more money to use it for the 2 tows because AAA couldn't find a tow truck that serviced my area short of a couple hours away. I own jumper cables so getting a jump isn't an issue for me should I need it.

It is just a glorious waste of money here.

Maybe in more populated areas it works well. I had wasted money on it for years. Tried 2 different occasions to use it. Ended up costing me more money to use it for the 2 tows because AAA couldn't find a tow truck that serviced my area short of a couple hours away. I own jumper cables so getting a jump isn't an issue for me should I need it.

"waste of money here".

Minnesota, that explains a lot. Thanks.

Ya, what happens, they send in a rescue helecopter and send you a bill for $5000?

Or you could get your own Iridium phone. That way even your mother in law could get in contact with you.. up... there.. on... mt. Helens.... arh forget about it :)

Bitflux

There are three devices you can use to alert family and authorities: PLBs, SENDs and sat phones. Each of these has advantages and disadvantages.

PLB - Personal Locator Beacon - is used only to signal emergencies, and it's the best device to have in these cases. A 406MHz unit has a price around $600, and doesn't need yearly payments for use. It alerts the SAR teams directly, and location can be obtained even if only one satellite has line-of-sight.

SEND - Satellite Emergency Notification Device (the standard is still being developed) - SPOTs are part of this group (the only one so far, according to my knowledge). They are the best for signaling "I'm OK" to family and friends, and can be used to send "help needed" and "emergency" alerts. With a price tag of $150 (+$150/year), they are the cheapest ones.

Satellite phones - I would choose an Iridium phone because they have satellites in polar low earth orbit, and a coverage of 100% of the Earth's surface. They are the best to have when you need help, but the situation is not life-threatening: you can call whoever you want/who can offer the best or fastest help. You can also call 911 in case of an emergency, or call home telling you're OK. With a price tag starting at $1000 for the unit (plus extra for the plan), it is the most expensive of the three.

Let's say you are in the middle of nowhere and have all three devices. With a SPOT, you can let know those at home where you are, and that you're OK.

Let's say something happens and you need help (non-emergency), for example your car breaks down. You can use the SPOT to signal "help needed" - and a family member will have to drive to your location to see what kind of help you need, then drive back to a place with cell signal and call a tow truck. If you have a satellite phone, you can call the tow truck yourself.

In case of an emergency, you will probably use all three. Let's say you fell from a cliff and broke your leg, or you were bitten by a rattlesnake and need immediate help. The PLB will probably be the fastest alerting the SAR teams. The SPOT will alert the "middle men" who will send the rescue teams, but if you don't have adequate satellite reception, it won't send out your location. With a satellite phone (if you get satellite line-of-sight for long enough to make the call) you can communicate your situation to the rescuers.

If the situation you find yourself in is so bad that you are unable to request help, the SPOT might help you: your family will became worried that you are late (or made no progress), and will alert the authorities, telling them your last known position.

Edited by Dj Storm
^That. And put a shirt on! Oh wait... no need anymore. :)

On edit: You have been caching for awhile now and undoubtedly have some experience to share with others.

Why the drive by insults? If you don't agree with the situation you find yourself in then try to make it better.

Insults and belittling the people that share the same hobby as you should not be nearly as fulfilling as helping them become better at the hobby you share.

No need to prom everybodys poush.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution and I don't see you offering many solutions.

People still buy AAA?

Why not? AAA is a great resource. I love having it. It's saved me a couple of times.

AAA envy.

"waste of money here".

Minnesota, that explains a lot. Thanks.

Oh well... we tried. :)