Best Caches on Earth

Hello everyone,

To introduce this topic, I'm not a particularly normal person in that I have a huge priority in life to travel- in my mid-20s but have already visited 35 countries and will visit my sixth continent (South America) by the end of the year if all goes well, and loving it! ;) I lived in New Zealand awhile a few years back, last year I did a six month trip around the world through Asia, Europe, and Africa... and then after all that I discovered geocaching. :laughing: You have no idea how annoying it is to see that Tropic of Capricorn sign in the Middle of Nowhere, Namibia pop up on the main page knowing I was there a year ago but didn't know about caching!

Anyway, I'm a student when not traveling and looking to finish the M.S. by December or January, so I have until September to go for a nice long wander around the world until starting my PhD. Not yet certain where I'm going but I want to make geocaching a part of it so I figured I should ask around in the planning stages- does anyone have any caches they've stumbled across where they thought "wow, that's an amazing place/adventure!" that they'd like to share? This or this are good examples of what I'm thinking about... My only real criteria is that the getting there shouldn't be super-expensive (so probably nothing in the extreme Arctic or Antarctica or the ISS cache, for example) as I travel cheap and overland wherever possible. Thanks a lot all, and I look forward to hearing about some spectacular spots of the world! ;)

Hello everyone,

To introduce this topic, I'm not a particularly normal person in that I have a huge priority in life to travel- in my mid-20s but have already visited 35 countries and will visit my sixth continent (South America) by the end of the year if all goes well, and loving it! ;) I lived in New Zealand awhile a few years back, last year I did a six month trip around the world through Asia, Europe, and Africa... and then after all that I discovered geocaching. :laughing: You have no idea how annoying it is to see that Tropic of Capricorn sign in the Middle of Nowhere, Namibia pop up on the main page knowing I was there a year ago but didn't know about caching!

Anyway, I'm a student when not traveling and looking to finish the M.S. by December or January, so I have until September to go for a nice long wander around the world until starting my PhD. Not yet certain where I'm going but I want to make geocaching a part of it so I figured I should ask around in the planning stages- does anyone have any caches they've stumbled across where they thought "wow, that's an amazing place/adventure!" that they'd like to share? This or this are good examples of what I'm thinking about... My only real criteria is that the getting there shouldn't be super-expensive (so probably nothing in the extreme Arctic or Antarctica or the ISS cache, for example) as I travel cheap and overland wherever possible. Thanks a lot all, and I look forward to hearing about some spectacular spots of the world! ;)

I still have to wonder how a Ph.d student in their mid-20s can afford to travel around the world, and visit 35 countries and 6 continents. What's it like to be filthy rich?

Here's my favorite find in a foreign country. GCH2CT: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. A close second goes to one at the entrance of Mikumi National Park in Tanzania (http://coord.info/GC169KE). If you really want an adventure try "Erta Ale Volcano" in Ethiopia. I haven't found it myself but here's a snippet from the cache page:

"Not made for the comfort-seeking tourist, you need to get into the world's hottest desert, travel among armed Afar nomad people who are at gunpoint with the ethiopian army and master volcanic territory....

the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners."

Wikipedia provides this additional information:

Erta Ale means "smoking mountain" in the local Afar language and its southernmost pit is known locally as "the gateway to hell".

Have fun.

I still have to wonder how a Ph.d student in their mid-20s can afford to travel around the world, and visit 35 countries and 6 continents. What's it like to be filthy rich?

I always thought it was "Hey look everybody! I'm using my loans, scholarships and grants for non-academic purposes!!"

Had to laugh when I got my bachelors and half the guys I knew in college, who always went on spring break and summer expeditions, started complaining about paying back exorbitant amounts of college loans and I barely had anything to pay back.

Here's my favorite find in a foreign country. GCH2CT: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. A close second goes to one at the entrance of Mikumi National Park in Tanzania (http://coord.info/GC169KE). If you really want an adventure try "Erta Ale Volcano" in Ethiopia. I haven't found it myself but here's a snippet from the cache page:

"Not made for the comfort-seeking tourist, you need to get into the world's hottest desert, travel among armed Afar nomad people who are at gunpoint with the ethiopian army and master volcanic territory....

the Erta Ale range remains one of the most inaccessible places on earth. There are no roads and temperatures are extremely high. The tribe living there, the Afar people, are proud and strong warriors, often hostile to foreigners."

Wikipedia provides this additional information:

Erta Ale means "smoking mountain" in the local Afar language and its southernmost pit is known locally as "the gateway to hell".

Have fun.

I know a PhD student that spent most of her 20's traveling and exploring. She's now spending most of her 30's paying off the debt from all that travel.

It's astounding what you can do with student loans.

Two I'd recommend in Florida, both boat caches. da dog yaks GC7AF in the Ocala National Forest , on the Juniper run - fabulous crystal clear spring run. Canoe rental available and inexpensive from the Juniper campground.

And, in the Everglades PAVILION KEY SUNSET TREE GC32AC - many outfitters will rent boats or paddle craft, not inexpensive - see GC14YFW for the nearest town, where you can find boat rentals. An overnight paddle trip, or can be done in one day via power boat.

If Hot Glowing Tribulations (GCTA5E) is real - and I still can't quite believe that it is - then it's got to be a contender.

Yes, your teeth will turn green and your hair will fall out; but it's all for the love of science, right? :laughing:

Within driving distance... Now to find a papr. I may be able to do this one...

If I was any good at that climbing thing I would try to do that hot glowing tribulations. However, I did really enjoy reading the logs on that one. I can't travel there but I would so be the person stuck in the bottom of that. Spared me the embarrassment of having to call in the rescue squad to drag me out.

It's really about the locations you want to visit. The cache on the peak above Machu Picchu ("Bank of Colorado") was not a particularly memorable container, but the classic location made it unforgettable. The same with caches in Rome or Venice, at Stonehenge, or an overlook 3000 feet above the Grand Canyon. Some of the best have been virtuals or earthcaches.

But a visit to South America and a chance for caching glory? The first one to find Geocache in Bolivia would probably deserve a few wah-hoos. I figure that the locals would either greet you as the mythical finder of the container that was supposed to bring travelers to the area or the army has been thinking it's a pipe bomb from the days of guerilla campaigns and has waited for someone to come and visit it. Either way it would be an adventure and the town is said to have the most beautiful women in the country.

Edited by mulvaney

I always thought it was "Hey look everybody! I'm using my loans, scholarships and grants for non-academic purposes!!"

Had to laugh when I got my bachelors and half the guys I knew in college, who always went on spring break and summer expeditions, started complaining about paying back exorbitant amounts of college loans and I barely had anything to pay back.

And what a coincidence, I still have to wonder about how people can make so many opinions without knowing a person or doing research!

1) Most of the world is actually very cheap- one can be perfectly sufficient on $1000/month in Asia for example, and Africa isn't that much more than that. Neither is Eastern Europe, especially if you have family and friends or use CouchSurfing. All in all I could've bought a car or traveled the world, and gee that's a tough decision!

2) People actually pay you to do grad school if it's in something, you know, actually hard, and if you live in a place like Ohio you can actually save a good amount just from cost of living (plus I travel for my research, I'll be visiting an observatory in Argentina later this year for example). So have never taken out a loan and I live a frugal lifestyle- making your own coffee doesn't sound like much for example until you realize the $3 you spent for the Starbucks latte is the cost of a room for a night in Cambodia!

(I did love Vic Falls though, so much that I set up the Mosi-oa-Tunya Earthcache. :laughing: )

Loving the idea of going for the non-traditional A.P.E. cache in Brazil, that would certainly be different!

It's really about the locations you want to visit. The cache on the peak above Machu Picchu ("Bank of Colorado") was not a particularly memorable container, but the classic location made it unforgettable. The same with caches in Rome or Venice, at Stonehenge, or an overlook 3000 feet above the Grand Canyon. Some of the best have been virtuals or earthcaches.

I'm excited to hear that about Machu Picchu, I have travel plans in the works for going there. I cannot WAIT! To the OP, I love to travel also, and have traveled out of the US a lot in my lifetime, although not while I've been caching. I think our only cache outside the US was in Canada while my husband was on a business trip.

I know how you feel about thinking back about everywhere that you've traveled and you say to yourself, "oh man, if I was caching then... wow!"

That being said, I don't have any good suggestions for around the world caches, except to echo what KitFox said about trying for the only remaining APE cache outside the US, I would love to find that myself!

I do recommend the APE cache IN the US also, it's a great hike. Also, if you're ever in Lane County, OR, we have a lot of great caches out here!!

Have a great time on your journey, and best of luck with your PhD!!

1) Most of the world is actually very cheap- one can be perfectly sufficient on $1000/month in Asia for example, and Africa isn't that much more than that. Neither is Eastern Europe, especially if you have family and friends or use CouchSurfing. All in all I could've bought a car or traveled the world, and gee that's a tough decision!

That couchsurfing site is REALLY cool! I never knew it existed. Thanks for mentioning it!

And what a coincidence, I still have to wonder about how people can make so many opinions without knowing a person or doing research!

2) People actually pay you to do grad school if it's in something, you know, actually hard, and if you live in a place like Ohio you can actually save a good amount just from cost of living (plus I travel for my research, I'll be visiting an observatory in Argentina later this year for example). So have never taken out a loan and I live a frugal lifestyle- making your own coffee doesn't sound like much for example until you realize the $3 you spent for the Starbucks latte is the cost of a room for a night in Cambodia!

(I did love Vic Falls though, so much that I set up the Mosi-oa-Tunya Earthcache. :ph34r: )

Loving the idea of going for the non-traditional A.P.E. cache in Brazil, that would certainly be different!

Kind of judgmental about various grad school programs that don't pay you to go isn't it? Glad you get to travel but geesh.

That couchsurfing site is REALLY cool! I never knew it existed. Thanks for mentioning it!

Its how I used to travel the country, until i realised i had to travel on everyone elses schedules, i soon stopped couchsurfing, and started living out of my car, i enjoyed life a whole lot more at that point.

shes right, you can travel for super cheap, nearly just the cost of your gas,

if you are a guy, you generally have to eat out of dumpsters, but she appears to be an attractive woman, with a social attitude, and we all know those attractive social women can get just about anything they want for free from gullible men who are trying to get in their pants. Its just the nature of the beast.

my only concern is she should try not to rush her travels just so she can get to the next spot and buy another t-shirt, because in the end, all she will have are some facebook pics and a t-shirt, no real memories of these spectacular places, when you travel you have to take your time to really enjoy the places you are in. otherwise her around the world trip in my opinion is more about the numbers.

(I did love Vic Falls though, so much that I set up the Mosi-oa-Tunya Earthcache. :ph34r: )

Sorry, my comment about being filthy rich was mostly in jest. I work for a university and hear the poor Phd student mantra a lot so hearing about someone visiting 35 countries seemed outside the norm from what I've seen.

I do realize that the cost of living is very inexpensive, especially in Africa. I've visited Africa three times since 2007 for my work, all paid for by grants (thanks, Mr. Gates) or international agencies, and as long as you don't stay in the tourist locations it can be quite inexpensive.

After my last post I realized that the Mosi-oa-Tunya earthcache was yours. I was actually at that location in 2007 but that was before you created that cache. I'm surprised that only one person has logged a find on it.

For one of the projects I'm working on there were plans to have a meeting in Iquitos, Peru where one of the other members of the project works. Funding fell through for that meeting (we had a meeting in Montpellier, France instead a couple of months ago) but I did check for local caches in Iquitos (the largest city in the world not accessible by road). There are three caches in Iquitos, a virtual, one traditional, and an earthcache but the most interesting is about 40 miles away called "Bungle in the Jungle" (GC1KC7W). It hasn't yet been found since it was placed in Jan. 2009. If we ever do get a meeting scheduled in Iquitos I'd love to give that a try.

There has also been some talk where I work about creating a summer practicum that I might be involved in that would involve travel to India and/or Sri Lanka.

BTW, the university I work for runs the Arecibo observatory.

Commenting a little off topic. You can travel crazy cheap if you don't need freshly picked gardenias in your tropical drink served on the veranda. Do it in your 20's. I once slept ia a dentist's office in Prague while the republic was still iron curtain for fifty cents. As for Vic Falls, that darn bungee jump they have there scared the heck out of me. (I did not jump) We did eat lunch in Zambia though.

Its how I used to travel the country, until i realised i had to travel on everyone elses schedules, i soon stopped couchsurfing, and started living out of my car, i enjoyed life a whole lot more at that point.

shes right, you can travel for super cheap, nearly just the cost of your gas,

if you are a guy, you generally have to eat out of dumpsters, but she appears to be an attractive woman, with a social attitude, and we all know those attractive social women can get just about anything they want for free from gullible men who are trying to get in their pants. Its just the nature of the beast.

my only concern is she should try not to rush her travels just so she can get to the next spot and buy another t-shirt, because in the end, all she will have are some facebook pics and a t-shirt, no real memories of these spectacular places, when you travel you have to take your time to really enjoy the places you are in. otherwise her around the world trip in my opinion is more about the numbers.

How do you know she has no real memories of where she goes? You have not a clue. Traveling is wonderful! I traveled a lot in college, I didn't weasel anything out of any men, I didn't use my student aid money or student loans; I worked my behind off for several months out of the year and saved my money, and then used that to travel.

Like she said, she didn't buy a car, she's traveling cheaply, and I think she's being responsible. I'm pretty bothered by the rather rude comments by a few of our forum members. She posted a nice positive topic and asked about great caches. She didn't ask to have her actions judged, or to have sexist remarks made.

Some of you may be jealous, but really, I think it's awesome, and I congratulate her on the amazing experiences she is having, and I think it's wonderful. I only wish I had more caches to suggest to her.

Like she said, she didn't buy a car, she's traveling cheaply, and I think she's being responsible. I'm pretty bothered by the rather rude comments by a few of our forum members. She posted a nice positive topic and asked about great caches. She didn't ask to have her actions judged, or to have sexist remarks made.

Some of you may be jealous, but really, I think it's awesome, and I congratulate her on the amazing experiences she is having, and I think it's wonderful. I only wish I had more caches to suggest to her.

Amen. "There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact." - Mark Twain.

There are great caches everywhere, but so much to see in this world, I might plan a trip first and then just find the best caches you can as you go. Korea was never that high on my list of places to go, but I had a business trip there and added a day just to get a hike and some caching in as well (since it was the first time I'd been out of the country since I started caching).

Do think about making of your own travel bugs and letting them into the wild as you go. Fun to watch them wander on back home.

Do think about making of your own travel bugs and letting them into the wild as you go. Fun to watch them wander on back home.

That's a nice suggestion! It's fun to do. We actually had one make it home here to Oregon (literally to the cache in front of our house) from Colorado. It took a long time, but it was really cool when it got here. We released it again at GeoWoodstock.

2) People actually pay you to do grad school if it's in something, you know, actually hard

How elitist of you to look down on other graduate programs. Life is about more than making money. You try to sound like you know that, but then you post something like this gem.

I liked the good parts of this thread right up until that comment. I was thoroughly disgusted at that point as someone who is paying back undergrad and graduate school loans because not all programs have the luxury to pay people to go to them. In fact most don't regardless of how "hard" they are. The elitism disgusts me.

2) People actually pay you to do grad school if it's in something, you know, actually hard

How elitist of you to look down on other graduate programs. Life is about more than making money. You try to sound like you know that, but then you post something like this gem.

I liked the good parts of this thread right up until that comment. I was thoroughly disgusted at that point as someone who is paying back undergrad and graduate school loans because not all programs have the luxury to pay people to go to them. In fact most don't regardless of how "hard" they are. The elitism disgusts me.

Ditto.

Ditto.

I don't see it as elitism in the least, although she probably regrets phrasing it that way. People that reach out for more than most should get their just reward. More power to her, if she has chosen a path that is rare enough and important enough that she can get somebody else to invest in her. Liberal Arts majors (which I was) will likely never have that sort of support.

I don't see it as elitism in the least, although she probably regrets phrasing it that way. People that reach out for more than most should get their just reward. More power to her, if she has chosen a path that is rare enough and important enough that she can get somebody else to invest in her. Liberal Arts majors (which I was) will likely never have that sort of support.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out how to word it, but you said what I was thinking. I was a Vocal Performance major (now I work in computers, fancy that), and I didn't even go to grad school... so I'm really pleased to see people taking the initiative. It's okay to be proud of who you are, and it's okay to be proud of achieving. Sure, it could have been phrased better, yes, but I don't see it as elitism either.

Thank you! I was trying to figure out how to word it, but you said what I was thinking. I was a Vocal Performance major (now I work in computers, fancy that), and I didn't even go to grad school... so I'm really pleased to see people taking the initiative. It's okay to be proud of who you are, and it's okay to be proud of achieving. Sure, it could have been phrased better, yes, but I don't see it as elitism either.

Thanks you two, as without your defenses I really would be very discouraged by this thread. I wasn't trying to be elitist but rather the phrasing came out wrong as I feel a bit on the defensive here.

In an attempt to steer things back on topic that probably won't work but hey, I do love the idea of releasing TBs (I was thinking of getting a TB patch for my backpack, that'd be fun to get logs for!) and the Peru cache sounds pretty sweet as well.

Edited by Andromeda321

Thanks you two, as without your defenses I really would be very discouraged by this thread. I wasn't trying to be elitist but rather the phrasing came out wrong as I feel a bit on the defensive here.

In an attempt to steer things back on topic that probably won't work but hey, I do love the idea of releasing TBs (I was thinking of getting a TB patch for my backpack, that'd be fun to get logs for!) and the Peru cache sounds pretty sweet as well.

I'm glad you're not discouraged! :) I do recommend getting a TB patch for your backpack; my husband has one for his motorcycle vest, it's fun to see who 'discovers' you!

Thanks a lot all, and I look forward to hearing about some spectacular spots of the world! :)

Glancing at your web site, you seem to be doing pretty well already in terms of visiting big iconic places. All looks a bit frenetic to me. Maybe you should consider a day or two at a slower pace on one of the UK's long distance paths, like these for example ...

There are bound to be some caches along the route.

Just out of curiosity, will you select your destination (countries / region) according to caches, or caches near where you intend to travel? Or a bit of both?

My thought is that, if you just pick a great place you want to visit, there's probably a geocache there or nearby.

I was figuring this too (and yeah there's a geocache pretty much everywhere these days, I found one in the courtyard of the Louvre a few months ago), I just figured if I heard of an exceptional one I just might divert for it, like now the A.P.E. cache in Brazil is tempting me. Plenty of other reasons to go to Brazil obviously, but researching locations always starts somehow!

I!, might be hard to tell but with rare exception I fell into the pace of staying one place for 4 nights/ 3 whole days, staying a few places longer if I decided I liked them (Ko Tao, Thailand and Florence, Italy come to mind). The exception to that was the interior of Africa where lack of public transport/ my abilities to do car maintenance and drive stick required joining up with a group of backpackers, and yep 7000km in three weeks while camping was plenty exhausting!

Check out Buzzards Roost GCYD4M. It Is NOT a Micro and has an Amazing view along with being very close to the Appalachian trail and a bunch of rafting companies. It is about a 9 mile hike round trip but worth every step and there are 7 or 8 caches in all along the trail. I enjoyed it so much i intend to go back this fall with company to camp at the roost and see the fall colors,

Just out of curiosity, will you select your destination (countries / region) according to caches, or caches near where you intend to travel? Or a bit of both?

My thought is that, if you just pick a great place you want to visit, there's probably a geocache there or nearby.

I was figuring this too (and yeah there's a geocache pretty much everywhere these days, I found one in the courtyard of the Louvre a few months ago),

You'd be surprised at how many populated areas don't have caches. When I went to Tanzania a few months ago I knew I was going to be staying over night in Dar es Salaam, and discovered that even though it's a city of almost 3 million people there are zero caches in the city. The closest are about 45 miles away in Zanzibar. However, I spent the next several days in a much smaller town (Morogoro) about 200km to the west, then went even further west to Mikumi National park where there was a cache at the entrance. The next closest cache was at another national park, probably a six hour drive away.

I had that cache at the Louvre in my GPS when I had a short layover in Paris on the way to Johannesburg. Since my time was limited though I stayed mostly near Notre Dame so that I could get back on the train to CDG easily. Paris has a lot of difficult puzzle caches in the downtown area.