What phone to choose

SO I'm up for an upgrade.. always a happy moment in time. I love gadgets!! So I've got a options of the Samsung Galaxy Spica, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 and then a friend chucked a spanner in the works and suggested the Blackberry Strom or Bold... SO any pointers on the best one for caching (on the spur of the moment)? I'm currently using an Omnia with GCzII and loving it.

Stay away from the original Blackberry Storm! I have one and it is AWFUL. I've had to get it replaced TWICE because of glitches that prevent me from using it, and I'm still having the same problems. It freezes, sends messages over and over (I sent my mom a text message and she got it 14 times in a row), the screen stops working... It's just a nightmare. Sometimes it won't even let me answer calls!

I think you're safe because they stopped making Storm with the release of Storm 2, but just to be sure....

Stay away from the original Blackberry Storm! I have one and it is AWFUL. I've had to get it replaced TWICE because of glitches that prevent me from using it, and I'm still having the same problems. It freezes, sends messages over and over (I sent my mom a text message and she got it 14 times in a row), the screen stops working... It's just a nightmare. Sometimes it won't even let me answer calls!

I think you're safe because they stopped making Storm with the release of Storm 2, but just to be sure....

I hope it was a good message! But I think I'll stay away from blackberry for now. everyone is harassing me to get one but I'm not that responsible yet. After some thought I might go for the Sony Ericsson X10

SO I'm up for an upgrade.. always a happy moment in time. I love gadgets!! So I've got a options of the Samsung Galaxy Spica, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 and then a friend chucked a spanner in the works and suggested the Blackberry Strom or Bold... SO any pointers on the best one for caching (on the spur of the moment)? I'm currently using an Omnia with GCzII and loving it.

If you're accustomed to GCz, then you'll want an Android so you can use a similar app.

Even though it isn't one that you mentioned, I would suggest the Blackberry Curve 8530. That's the phone I just got a month or so ago and I love it. There are two apps for it which you can use for caching, one of which is $20 and the other is completely free. I opted for the free one called BlackStar which I used for the first time today and it was so easy to use. I will never again use my Garmin GPS which is ten times more complicated.

A friend of mine has a droid and to the best of his knowledge the only app you can get is the $20 one. So while it is a much nicer phone with a lot more bells and whistles, I would still recommend the BB Curve. It has an app for just about everything and right now they're pretty cheap too. After a mail-in rebate mine was about $30.

Good luck in your hunts, both caching and for a phone ;-)

My first post. Hi all. :)

I recently upgraded away from an iPhone 3G to an HTC Desire (Android). Happy with the decision, and there are some good apps available on Android for geocaching.

After trying a few different apps, I've settled on one that the forum won't let me name or link to*, Radar (provides a proper radar-style blip display), and I switch between a few traditional GPS apps for lat/long or compass navigation: GPS Status, GPS Test, Maverick and Orienteer (just haven't settled on one yet). There's also the Google Maps/Navigator that comes built in. Some GC apps can natively integrate with some or all of these tools.

Whichever you choose, see if you can have a play with the phone (preferably with the apps) before you commit. YMMV to mine...

-Jumile

* A search of the forum doesn't return the application's name, so I have no idea why it's unauthorised: not enough posts from me to allow external links, competition for the (still beta?) GC app, breach of ToS, etc, etc. :)

ETA (16-Jul): Managed to answer my own question about the software-that-shall-not-speak-its-name by searching elsewhere on the Internet. It appears that said program breaches the GS ToS because it mimics a web browser and 'scrapes' the GC website, the claim being that it negatively impacts GC server performance. With that in mind, would GS/GC care to make a list of banned programs and/or provide a list of 'approved' programs (either/both in FAQ form)? As things stand, I could have found myself banned before even making my first post to the forum. Please be a little more open and help us to help ourselves?

Edited by Jumile