Firecrackers

I found a whole pack of Black Cat firecrackers in a cache today. I took them out & disposed of them and left behind some glow sticks. What are people thinking? I understand that for "some people" this would be fine, but you don't know who's going to find them. Am I just getting old? :)

It's against the guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#contents

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

I agree on the removal, but firecrackers don't use 'gunpowder.'

Gunpowder implies black powder (a low explosive) or smokeless powder (a propellant.) Firecrackers use an aluminum based, fast burning chemical. It only goes BOOM because it is tightly contained - loose, it is just flash powder.

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

What's with all of the opinions following this post, anyway? This isn't a matter of your opinion or mine, whether they are unstable, or what they are made of. The guidelines are quite clear on this.

To the OP... while I may be wrong, I suspect that most of the time, "swag" of this nature is left by muggles that discover the cache.

Cache Contents

What's with all of the opinions following this post, anyway? This isn't a matter of your opinion or mine, whether they are unstable, or what they are made of. The guidelines are quite clear on this.

To the OP... while I may be wrong, I suspect that most of the time, "swag" of this nature is left by muggles that discover the cache.

Fireworks and firecrackers are two different things.

I really can't see a muggle leaving a full pack of firecrackers though. Why would they? They do have a value.

Are you a lawyer, or do you play one on TV? Because it is clear what the spirit of the guideline meant.

My wife is a Lawyer. I run all questionable things by her. (it's cheaper than a divorce)

I don't pick the nits... I just point them out and let people like you run with it. :laughing:

Are you a lawyer, or do you play one on TV? Because it is clear what the spirit of the guideline meant.

My wife is a Lawyer. I run all questionable things by her. (it's cheaper than a divorce)

I don't pick the nits... I just point them out and let people like you run with it. ;)

Did you find this guideline questionable, and if so, did you run it by her?

I'm not interested in running with this one, but there's probably someone who would be interested in opening another bug.

I do find it interesting, though off topic, that you would capitalize "lawyer" :laughing:

I don't pick the nits... I just point them out and let people like you run with it. ;)

Did you find this guideline questionable, and if so, did you run it by her?

I'm not interested in running with this one, but there's probably someone who would be interested in opening another bug.

I do find it interesting, though off topic, that you would capitalize "lawyer" :laughing:

Create an off topic thread that asks me why I would capitalize the word and I will give you several reasons.

Stay cool.

Cache Contents

I really can't see a muggle leaving a full pack of firecrackers though. Why would they? They do have a value.

might want to read this?

i agree with brslk.

fireworks are like sparklers, and spray light showering things,

firecrackers are nothing but gunpowder in a paper container with a short fuse.

both are bad ideas for a cache container, but they are two different types.

course since most caches get wet right, then all those fireworks, and firecrackers, are useless and no longer dangerous anyway.

Edited by ashnikes

Cache Contents

In many areas fireworks and firecrackers are illegal. As well as dangerous.

Cache Contents

Huh?!? Come on now. The guidelines state "Explosives, fireworks," I think that firecrackers clearly fit at least one of those categories.

"no fireworks" seems a bit hypocritical on the rule book though.

someone can put a cache in a tree, not really warn the participants about having to climb the tree... or put it on the rim of an active volcano.... or into a cave which would require special skill....

however, put a sparkler in a cache and it is akin to an attempt on the president's life.

The way I see it, putting a cache in a hazardous location only endangers those who consciously makes an attempt to go retrieve it, hopefully in full realization of the difficulty and dangers and took the proper precaution. It's not like someone would be casually going on his evening stroll and stumble across a geocache tied 60 feet up a tree. Such people do, on occasion, stumble across geocaches hidden in more accessible areas.

someone can put a cache in a tree, not really warn the participants about having to climb the tree... or put it on the rim of an active volcano.... or into a cave which would require special skill....

however, put a sparkler in a cache and it is akin to an attempt on the president's life.

It has more to do with things that aren't allowed in some areas where caches may be hidden and the general perception of caching as viewed by land managers in those same areas.

Ditto for knives.

It has little if anything to do with safety.

Cache Contents

Now that right there is just priceless.

La dee da, la dee da I walking along life's path. Oh, what's that? A plastic sandwich container? Odd place for that to be left.

Ummmmm, upon closer inspection.....oh it is filled with a bunch of carp and a small note pad. What's this here? Oh I see, it says that it is a 'geocache', wonder what that is? What the hey, I gots me this here pack 'o firecracker thingies, guess I might as well drop them in there.

Geeze, hope that no one minds too much.

I think that this would be mildly funny iffin I could stop crying.

PBTA Most Merciful.

Cache Contents

La dee da, la dee da I walking along life's path. Oh, what's that? A plastic sandwich container? Odd place for that to be left.

Ummmmm, upon closer inspection.....oh it is filled with a bunch of carp and a small note pad. What's this here? Oh I see, it says that it is a 'geocache', wonder what that is? What the hey, I gots me this here pack 'o firecracker thingies, guess I might as well drop them in there.

PBTA Most Merciful.

Yup, that's about how it would play out. Probably 14 year old boys out in the woods blowing things up. Thanks for helping me out there, good buddy. As usual, you add so much to the conversation. So glad you're here. Keep up the good fight!

Cache Contents

PBTA Most Merciful.

Yup, that's about how it would play out. Probably 14 year old boys out in the woods blowing things up. Thanks for helping me out there, good buddy. As usual, you add so much to the conversation. So glad you're here. Keep up the good fight!

I never claimed that fireworks or firecrackers should be placed in caches but seriously? you honestly believe that 14 year old boys would spend money on firecrackers and put them in a cache? Maybe if they lit them first!

I think TC's post pretty much sums up how unlikely that would happen.

Cache Contents

PBTA Most Merciful.

I never claimed that fireworks or firecrackers should be placed in caches but seriously? you honestly believe that 14 year old boys would spend money on firecrackers and put them in a cache? Maybe if they lit them first!

I think TC's post pretty much sums up how unlikely that would happen.

Who said they spent their own money? For that matter, its pretty tough for kids to buy their own firecrackers in the first place.

Look, its ridiculous to argue this speculation (remember, I DID say, "while I may be wrong, I suspect"), I don't think that any of you good folks would have done it... so, who did?

Not to high-jack your thread, but today I found a Live 22 Caliper Round in a cache! I removed it of course...

22, eh?

8c42a447a3.jpg

Yeah, it was actually a .22 short, hollowed point round. Dont think it would just explode or anything (though I am in Texas, HOT!) but if a youngster hit it with a hammer it could be bad.

but if a youngster hit it with a hammer it could be bad.
Jagged brass shrapnel flying at relatively low speed and a tiny lead bullet just sitting there, most likely. Not saying that it couldn't put an eye out, but that's about it. Nevertheless, still against the guidelines.

Aww, why can I never find inappropriate swag like that? All I ever get to remove is food and .22 cal bullets.

I found a loaded .22 pistol once. yeah i traded fair too.

Seriously?? In a cache? So what DID you trade for it. (The idea of finding a pistol, loaded or otherwise, in a cache fascinated me.)

Edited by Qbar
but if a youngster hit it with a hammer it could be bad.
Jagged brass shrapnel flying at relatively low speed and a tiny lead bullet just sitting there, most likely. Not saying that it couldn't put an eye out, but that's about it. Nevertheless, still against the guidelines.

I think I posted this in that other thread, but a friend of mine had a .22 bullet go off in his pocket (a RC glowplug battery shorted accross it). Some of the brass got imbeded in his leg. He had to go to the hospital to have it removed. And of couse because it was a "gun shot wound", had a visit form the local cop (who he know). No long term damage, and that went off while touching his leg.

A few weeks ago I removed a BIG firecracker from a cache in Florida.. it was one of those illegal home-made ones that are commonly called 'M-1000' crackers, made by cutting a stick of dynamite in quarters and waxing the ends with a fuse in them. This is the type of cracker that took a guy's arm off on the Fourth of July this year.

Whoever put it in there is beyond stupid. I soaked it in the Gulf of Mexico for a bit (no, not the oily part), then crushed it and buried it. I always wonder about those things, I figure the people who make them should be incarcerated on just plain lack of brains, as they clearly don't know what taggants are, and that they are in all dynamite.

so to play devils advacate then a peice of semtex would be fine so long as you do not leave a deternater as well!

(you know the army cut off pieces of this stuff and use it as a fire lighter. but conect it to a dedonator and its a whole different story)

A few weeks ago I removed a BIG firecracker from a cache in Florida.. it was one of those illegal home-made ones that are commonly called 'M-1000' crackers, made by cutting a stick of dynamite in quarters and waxing the ends with a fuse in them. This is the type of cracker that took a guy's arm off on the Fourth of July this year.

Whoever put it in there is beyond stupid. I soaked it in the Gulf of Mexico for a bit (no, not the oily part), then crushed it and buried it. I always wonder about those things, I figure the people who make them should be incarcerated on just plain lack of brains, as they clearly don't know what taggants are, and that they are in all dynamite.

As opposed to those legal homemade ones. :)

Got a GC# on that one?

Edited by Team Cotati