suggestions for caches on the way to winnipeg?

Kevonna

Hey all

DH and I are on our way to Winnipeg, currently in Sault Ste Marie

Wondering if anyone has done any cool caches that you would recommend between here and Winnipeg?

We'll be leaving for Thunder Bay in the morning...

Due to mobility issues, we usually stick to caches that are either 1 or 2 in terrain...

Would love to hear from you if you have some suggestions...

Happy caching!!!

Kevonna

Been there, done that ! Same parameters. But, without enough time to look up the actual code letters for these caches, I'll just suggest - in order from the Soo to Thunder Bay -

1. A real 'must do' is the cache at the Alona Bay outlook.

2. Check out the cache at Sinclair cove.

3. Two caches at the village of Michipicoten River, Silver Falls, and the nearby Bethune Cemetery.

3b. Don't forget the cache at the Big Goose, There's a few more in Wawa as well.

4. Of course, the famous minus 74 degrees thermometer at White River.

5. The Cadillac car along Hwy. 17, just before Marathon.

6. Haven't done it, but there's an antique car in Marathon with a roving TB attached.

7. A couple of highway caches in Terrace Bay.

8. A railroad information car at Schrieber,

9. A couple of highway caches at Nipigon, and then

10. OF COURSE, you'll do both the Terry Fox caches just before you arrive at Thunder Bay - The actual spot where Terry stopped his famous run; and the then further on to the monument to his run, at yet another great overlook of Lake Superior.

You're on your own after T.B. We headed south-west to Duluth, et al, after that.

Hope you enjoy the north shore of Superior as much as we did.

I suggest this one

STUMPED GC1BTZC

N 49° 39.286 W 096° 09.136

along the Trans Canada somewhere between Dryden and Winnipeg. An easy find - I don't know if it will be as impressive if you've read the cache pages before hand...I came across this by accident on holidays one year. Had no idea what it was, ended looking it up on here after I started caching..the place was so bizarre I was sure someone put a cache there. I've posted the co-ords in case you want to try it blind. It's on the other side of the road from where you will be on a split highway - you can turn back to it a few miles down the road.

I just re-read about the mobility issues ...it's about a 2 minute walk on flat ground, but it is a bit overgrown.

Edited by Qbar

Hey all

DH and I are on our way to Winnipeg, currently in Sault Ste Marie

Wondering if anyone has done any cool caches that you would recommend between here and Winnipeg?

We'll be leaving for Thunder Bay in the morning...

Due to mobility issues, we usually stick to caches that are either 1 or 2 in terrain...

Would love to hear from you if you have some suggestions...

Happy caching!!!

Kevonna

Oh, no....wish I had seen this sooner!

Must sees:

Not really "Winnipeg", but a bit of a detour:

GCVMRF Where Two Rivers Meet A wonderful park, with pelicans!

A bit of a drive from Winnipeg:

GCC6F0 Cache & Carriere: #1 - Prairie Faith Amazing church.

Thunder Bay:

GCRXJJ Travelers Respite Terry Fox monument.

Kenora:

Husky the Muskie Not just a funky landmark, but a very nice little park, with a great view.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks all, we have tried a few of your suggestions :ph34r:

Will be in Winnipeg until the weekend then heading home through the US so hopefully we'll have a chance to check some out on the way home as well.

2100 kms...glad to have checked into the hotel now in Winnipeg...ahhhh relaxing...