Seeing 60CSx on a computer

A friend has a 60CSx which she asked me to help with. I have had no problem getting my computer to talk with several different Oregons, eTrexes and a Colorado. Although I was able to load caches on to her 60CSx using the send waypoint feature of my GSAK, I could not for the life of me figure out how to put a file onto her GPS. In every other computer GPS interaction I've seen the computer sees the GPS as a mass storage device. I've even seen a Colorado hooked up to a computer with the NEMA (sp?)/Garmin Spanner mode turned on. (That's the mode where the computer can use the GPS with a program like Microsoft Streets & Roads.) Even in that mode the GPS can still be seen by the computer as a storage device. I've had no luck googling or reading the manual for the thing.

So two questions for you.

That was a Colorado I saw hooked to a computer in that mode. Is what I saw true of the 60CSx too? Otherwise where is that setting so I can see if that is the problem.

What else would keep a computer from seeing a 60CSx as a mass storage device where gpx files can be dragged and dropped? (She said the same thing happens on her computer so it's not just mine.)

Thanks for the help!

Chris

A friend has a 60CSx which she asked me to help with. I have had no problem getting my computer to talk with several different Oregons, eTrexes and a Colorado. Although I was able to load caches on to her 60CSx using the send waypoint feature of my GSAK, I could not for the life of me figure out how to put a file onto her GPS. In every other computer GPS interaction I've seen the computer sees the GPS as a mass storage device. I've even seen a Colorado hooked up to a computer with the NEMA (sp?)/Garmin Spanner mode turned on. (That's the mode where the computer can use the GPS with a program like Microsoft Streets & Roads.) Even in that mode the GPS can still be seen by the computer as a storage device. I've had no luck googling or reading the manual for the thing.

So two questions for you.

That was a Colorado I saw hooked to a computer in that mode. Is what I saw true of the 60CSx too? Otherwise where is that setting so I can see if that is the problem.

What else would keep a computer from seeing a 60CSx as a mass storage device where gpx files can be dragged and dropped? (She said the same thing happens on her computer so it's not just mine.)

Thanks for the help!

Chris

In one of the setup screens of the 60 you'll find a "Mass Storage Mode" which will make the 60 behave as a drive, as you request. It's been a while since I had a 60 so I can't remember which screen.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

In one of the setup screens of the 60 you'll find a "Mass Storage Mode" which will make the 60 behave as a drive, as you request. It's been a while since I had a 60 so I can't remember which screen.

On the Main Menu go to Setup then Interface. The Mass Storage Mode button is at the bottom of the screen. It should show up as a removable drive then.

On the Main Menu go to Setup then Interface. The Mass Storage Mode button is at the bottom of the screen. It should show up as a removable drive then.

also, you need to be connected via usb already when you switch to mass storage mode...

What else would keep a computer from seeing a 60CSx as a mass storage device where gpx files can be dragged and dropped?

You aren't going to be able to drag and drop a .gpx file to that unit like your Colorado. Putting the unit into Mass Storage mode will only mount the datacard (if there is one in the unit), but the unit won't read .gpx file from the datacard. If you use Garmin's POI loader and or GSAK, you can send .gpx files to the datacard that the unit will use.