Salting?

I'm pretty new around here, so I have, what is probably, a stupid question...What is salting of a cache? I found 2 of them today. 1 was just a little bit, but the other was packed full of salt.

Is somebody trying to dry out a damp cache or just being a rotten hooligan?

I'm pretty new around here, so I have, what is probably, a stupid question...What is salting of a cache? I found 2 of them today. 1 was just a little bit, but the other was packed full of salt.

Is somebody trying to dry out a damp cache or just being a rotten hooligan?

Never heard of the term. Probably a regional concept. Probably makes it go better with beer, though.

Actually, sounds to me as though it might be some sort of local sabotage (although I can only find one cache that you found today that has references to "salt")

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...47-54d0a6208ace

Found this one with my sister and niece, there was some kind of white powdery substance all through the container, looked like sugar or salt?? dumped it out and tried to clean as much as we could off of everything, not sure how much damage it did or didn't do.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...9c-0c2305eb61c6

Cache a little soggy. Cleaned some salt out of container. TFTC!

And that reply was any butter...er...better?

I'm very sorry. I really didn't intend to make such a charged post. I'm afraid it was very polarizing. I'll try to be more positive next time, OK?

(Truth be told, really, anode better)

Electrifying posts like these really make my hair stand on end... when they spark my interest, anyway.

I'm very sorry. I really didn't intend to make such a charged post. I'm afraid it was very polarizing. I'll try to be more positive next time, OK?

That's OK. Most of your posts are well grounded in polite conversation. One amped up comment is not reason enough to be discharged over so I don't think the mods will short you posting abilities.

Electrifying posts like these really make my hair stand on end... when they spark my interest, anyway.

I don't think we really needed that static from you.

This reminds me of a joke:

A jumper cable walks into a bar...

Two peanuts walk into a bar...

Ok, before a mod gets all like "behave yourself" on me I am done. Now, what was the topic again?

I think it had something to do with not starting anything. But only Puddles would know for sure.

BTW: Which forum is this? :)

Two old definitions (obviously never heard of by previous posters) are listed below.

to introduce rich ore or other valuable matter fraudulently into (a mine, the ground, a mineral sample, etc.) to create a false impression of value.

to add interest or excitement to: a novel salted with witty dialogue.

Could this be a what they mean?

Two old definitions (obviously never heard of by previous posters) are listed below.

to introduce rich ore or other valuable matter fraudulently into (a mine, the ground, a mineral sample, etc.) to create a false impression of value.

#14 immediately occurred to me, but I couldn't figure out how to apply it to geocaching. I still think that somebody around there is dumping a white powder (maybe salt) into the caches.

Apparently nobody is aware of the practice.

Personally I don't see how it would create much of a problem, especially considering the 'other materials' that could have been introduced into the cache. Certainly there is the immediate concern of 'what am I supposed to do with all this salt', but when juxtaposed with the possible alternate of 'what am I going to do with all this excrement', it seems a trivial matter.

Personally I don't see how it would create much of a problem, especially considering the 'other materials' that could have been introduced into the cache. Certainly there is the immediate concern of 'what am I supposed to do with all this salt', but when juxtaposed with the possible alternate of 'what am I going to do with all this excrement', it seems a trivial matter.

Salt keeps the critters out and if it was a used food container, it'll mask the odor of the previous substance.

Salt keeps the critters out and if it was a used food container, it'll mask the odor of the previous substance.

Critters LOVE salt! And I'm not so sure about masking odors, either. Ever smell a French Fry? :laughing:

Ok, before a mod gets all like "behave yourself" on me I am done. Now, what was the topic again?

I think it had something to do with not starting anything. But only Puddles would know for sure.

BTW: Which forum is this? :laughing:

Sorry, you got it wrong. It should be "WATT forum is this?"

You have misinterpreted the data. The only thing you could prove is that none of the previous posters had posted those definitions. Just saying. :laughing:

Ohm my! I just can't seem to stop!

I know, but I didn't want to shock anybody.

I forget the name in the log, but he wrote "You've been salted! BAHAHAHA!" The cache was packed with salt. Coins were buried in it. And yes, it was salt. I could smell it as soon as I opened the container.

I sent a message to the member who placed the cache, letting them know the situation.

I'm glad to see you guys have senses of humor, too. I was enjoying the puns.

BTW: Which forum is this? :ph34r:

I think I've reached my capacitor for puns. Before we short circuit this thread, I volt that we resistor the urge to amp up the downward coil of watt has become off topic, we need to transistor back to the topic.

I think I've reached my capacitor for puns. Before we short circuit this thread, I volt that we resistor the urge to amp up the downward coil of watt has become off topic, we need to transistor back to the topic.

Diode to argue those points with you but I doubt I'd transformer your opinions.

Diode to argue those points with you but I doubt I'd transformer your opinions.

I hate to be direct about this and buck the resistance, but I don't see any alternative - in the current state, this thread is dying...

or this may just be drugs!!

local drug dealers find new convenient places to store there stach!!!

Right. Drug dealers and drug users just love leaving their drugs around where others can find them. As one who (as did most of us) grew up in the 70's (we call it the '60's, but that really isn't true), I don't understand this concept of "drug drop", unless it is referring to dropping them into one's mouth.