Egyptian Winged Scarab Beetle Geocoin - Sneak Peek!

GeoPromotions

EGYPTIAN WINGED SCARAB BEETLE GEOCOIN

FORUM EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

As you can see this coin is in the final stages of production. The only thing remaining is the Gold Plating and the Glow in the Dark filled Orb.

This thread is to get your opinion of the design. Hope everyone likes it.

PS - Coin is scheduled to be complete by the end of next week.

1.75 inches diameter. 3mm thick.

388585970_o.jpg388585949_o.jpg388585874_o.jpg388585920_o.jpg

Edited by GeoPromotions

The front is gorgeous! I really wish you'd do more with the back, though, though I appreciate that you took the wing detail onto the back -- that does look nice. I'd also recommend playing with fonts. The mints can do just about anything if you convert text to paths and then send them the files in a vector format.

reminds me alot like the caching bug coin

What does that look like?

Check it out! : )

I also noticed that you had done the Lotus coin. That one is one of my favorite designs so far. I think you did a wonderful job. How long was that in the making? I do love the Egyptian themed designs and hope that mine is well received. I appreciate your compliment, it means a lot.

I also noticed that you had done the Lotus coin. That one is one of my favorite designs so far. I think you did a wonderful job. How long was that in the making? I do love the Egyptian themed designs and hope that mine is well received. I appreciate your compliment, it means a lot.

I have a very small bronze necklace that looks a lot like your coin; I really like the way the wings work in the design, so I took to your design right away. : ) And I like the way you've got patterns under the enamel. As for the Lotus: actually doing the design didn't take long at all. Pulling it off took some time due to various reasons -- if you check out the Lotus thread, you'll see a link in there to my project page, which lays it all out (and which, now that I think of it, is due for an update). It was quite a...um...trip! Thanks for your compliments regarding it; I'm really super-pleased with how it turned out.

I have a very small bronze necklace that looks a lot like your coin; I really like the way the wings work in the design, so I took to your design right away. : ) And I like the way you've got patterns under the enamel. As for the Lotus: actually doing the design didn't take long at all. Pulling it off took some time due to various reasons -- if you check out the Lotus thread, you'll see a link in there to my project page, which lays it all out (and which, now that I think of it, is due for an update). It was quite a...um...trip! Thanks for your compliments regarding it; I'm really super-pleased with how it turned out.

I am definitely intersted in reading that thread.

Would you want to trade one of mine for one of your Lotus coins? I really love the colors and detail you have done.

Would you want to trade one of mine for one of your Lotus coins? I really love the colors and detail you have done.

I am surprised nobody comments if they like the design of this coin or not. Maybe it isn't that popular of a theme.

I am surprised nobody comments if they like the design of this coin or not. Maybe it isn't that popular of a theme.

Well, to be honest, you mentioned in your post that your coin would be done by the end of the week. So I really didn't think you were asking for honest feedback - since any suggestions would not be able to be implemented at this late stage in the production.

But, I have to say that this coin is not really for me. I agree with JG -- the back doesn't have very much detail and this is probably the primary reason why I would not buy one. If the back looked different, I might try to arrange a trade for one.

Well, to be honest, you mentioned in your post that your coin would be done by the end of the week. So I really didn't think you were asking for honest feedback - since any suggestions would not be able to be implemented at this late stage in the production.

But, I have to say that this coin is not really for me. I agree with JG -- the back doesn't have very much detail and this is probably the primary reason why I would not buy one. If the back looked different, I might try to arrange a trade for one.

I agree with this.

Anyone's opinion change. Now available on eBay.

Yes, it went down. :rolleyes:

The quality seems poor. Just to point out a few things.

1. Third picture, lower right cutout is very rough.

2. Forth picture, all the cutouts on the back of th coin sem very rough.

3. Forth picture, cutouts uneven in sizes and why would the cutout be one size and the a recessed area past the cutouts.

Just a few things I noticed beyond the plain back that others have mentioend.

Hope these are samples and you can get them resolved before production but it doesn't sound like it.

The colours put me off as well. I understand the kind of desert-theme colour choices, but TMA is right: they just don't go together somehow. To me this looks more like a necklace charm than a geocoin-- not that that's a bad thing. I would like to have one (I just can't turn down something Egypt-themed) but I'm not going to pay $10 + shipping for it.

What happened to the pictures. Some critical/honest feedback and you take down the pictures so future buyers don't have a change to review the product before buying.

If you are scared off by those comments, then I will not be buying any coins from you or any of your coins from anyone. This just tells me that you are not willing to stand behind your work. Many people here have been burned by others like that and I am not sure we need someone new coming in to do it again.

I wish you luck in other endevours.

Mike

The only reason I removed the pictures was to place new ones. For some reason they show almost 5 times bigger than the actual coin. When it is that big it makes certain parts of it appear worst than in reality. I am trying to shrink the pictures to normal size in order see what it will actually look like.

Orange Version

Green Version

I will be getting better pictures soon. I totally understand if there are those who do not like this coin. I can take the heat. Not everyone will like my stuff and some will.

Edited by GeoPromotions

the back doesn't have very much detail and this is probably the primary reason why I would not buy one. If the back looked different, I might try to arrange a trade for one.

Can't say I have met any coin person who actually looks takes the time to look at the backs of their coins. It's the front people worry about. I guess maybe when buying, but after it just sits in their collection, front first!

I'm frankly not keen on the enamel color combos. None of the colors seem to work together. I'd wager in time you'll be able to eyeball colors that will actually play nicely together. Good luck :)

TMA

It takes some people years and they still haven't got a clue. :unsure:

the back doesn't have very much detail and this is probably the primary reason why I would not buy one. If the back looked different, I might try to arrange a trade for one.

Can't say I have met any coin person who actually looks takes the time to look at the backs of their coins. It's the front people worry about. I guess maybe when buying, but after it just sits in their collection, front first!

The minute I receive my coins, I remove any little cards, so I can see the front and back. If the back is "blank", it is like getting half a coin.

:unsure: Shame on you! It should be every coin designer's mission to make it an absolute agony to decide which side is the "face" or "back" and deserves to be the side showing in a collection! :laughing:

For that very reason I won't be chasing this one down any time soon. It looks like it started out as a good idea and was just left half-finished. Even worn as a charm it would spend half it's time flipped around backwards. This just strikes me as the geocoin equivilent of walking around in public in a hospital gown wide open in the back. :) Which is a shame, because it started out pretty cool.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I do like it, though I'm afraid I am not really interested in trades; I'm not much of a trader. But I will look to buy one or two fairly soon here. I do agree (as I said before) that you should seriously consider adding some more complexity to the back. If you're going to spend the money to have a die that says "trackable at geocaching.com" on it, you might as well get your money's worth and really use the die. Plus, a major feature of Ancient Egyptian art was horror vacuii (fear of empty spaces): the Egyptians really loved to cram stuff into their work, so if you're going to do something on an Ancient Egyptian theme, it behooves you to fill the space obsessively. ; )

Do check out some of the trading/collecting sites so that you can see some of the other coin designs that have been done; it might save you from reinventing the wheel (tho I don't think you did, in this case; the Caching Bug is taken directly from Tutankhamun's treasure [in fact, if you know a little about hieroglyphs, the front of the Caching Bug actually reads as his throne name] and yours looks very much like several scarab charms I've seen [very much like the one that Mike posted], which is different).

:unsure: Shame on you! It should be every coin designer's mission to make it an absolute agony to decide which side is the "face" or "back" and deserves to be the side showing in a collection! :)

Hehe! Of course I design the front and the back... just sayin, that nobody much looks at da back... I am actually a little disappointed in couple of your coins when I look at the third rim side! :laughing:

I purchased one of these but there is no indication on how to get an activation code . it has a PC and then a 4 character code but nothing on getting an activation code. Any suggestions?

contact the seller or Groundspeak

I own one of these. The seller has the activation codes so you need to contact him.

Gregson

I have the orange one, and it's a beauty. Don't care if the back is "plain". Its the front I'm looking at anyway. It's actually one of my neighboors favorites in my collection. (I "only" have 58 coins so far)

I'm thinking of getting the other colours too.

Got the activationcode from the seller :ph34r:

Will this coin get an own icon? Until now it is only a simple coin :D

I believe an icon costs $150 (the price is listed in one of the pinned threads). Being that approximately 100 of the coins were minted and time has passed, I doubt that there will be an icon. However, you could always contact the coin artist.