Why is there so much negativity on this forum?

Wisco Pride! I'm from Green Bay!

I agree with you, there are a lot of people that A) take this all way to seriously or :signalviolin: feel that since they've been doing it since 2001 that they're better than us newbies.

Don't sweat the haters, and just keep on enjoying geocaching, for better or worse, you're always going to have haters and elitists no matter what your hobby/interests are.

I've only been caching for a little over a year now, and I've often come here for answers and ideas.

The problem I see is that it seems like most people just come on here to complain or put others down.

It's kind of a bummer. :wacko:

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! :(

This sounds like one of those "never looked at any other message board on any other topic, ever" posts. Welcome to the internet. :signalviolin: Oh c'mon, just kidding.

It's actually one of the most over-moderated forums I've ever seen, and there is a big-time example of that here in the past couple of days. Better than having two stalkers and receiving death threats on usenet. Been there done that. I told them "it's usenet, lighten up!", but they didn't listen. :P

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I've only been caching for a little over a year now, and I've often come here for answers and ideas.

The problem I see is that it seems like most people just come on here to complain or put others down.

It's kind of a bummer. :wacko:

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! :(

This sounds like one of those "never looked at any other message board on any other topic, ever" posts. Welcome to the internet. :signalviolin:

Lol.

It's kind of a bummer. :)

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! :)

Was that a complaint, or was it a put-down? :)

I'm sorry, but that just begged to be posted!!! I didn't mean to complain or to put you down by it.

This sounds like one of those "never looked at any other message board on any other topic, ever" posts. Welcome to the internet. :) Oh c'mon, just kidding.

It's actually one of the most over-moderated forums I've ever seen, and there is a big-time example of that here in the past couple of days. Better than having two stalkers and receiving death threats on usenet. Been there done that. I told them "it's usenet, lighten up!", but they didn't listen. :D

This is the only forum I have ever been warned on. I was even once warned by one of the mods after I had done just what that mod had said to do. So yeah, I think this is the most over moderated forum I've ever seen.

It's a game/sport/hobby.....LIGHTEN UP! :D

Who are you to come in here and call us negative? Dadgum neewbies!

:):)

Oh, you should visit the german speaking forum...it's really scary there. :)

yep, and there's plenty of other examples of online forums where the forum regulars are downright hostile. i really don't find it that bad around here.

This sounds like one of those "never looked at any other message board on any other topic, ever" posts. Welcome to the internet. :)

Lol.

Please don't be so negative, Pinehurst. This is the internet.

It's kind of a bummer. :D

I'm sorry, but that just begged to be posted!!! I didn't mean to complain or to put you down by it.

No it didn't.

I apologize if this post bothers anyone, but some things just HAVE to be said. :):P:D:):)B);)

Edited by Team Cotati

This sounds like one of those "never looked at any other message board on any other topic, ever" posts. Welcome to the internet. :)

Lol.

LAWL and LOLZ.

I should add, answers and ideas are more for the "getting started" forum, especially if you were in your first year of caching. I admit there is a lot of "complaining" here in the Geocaching Topics forum. I don't know though, I've only started one thread ever, in like 2006. I guess I talk about what other people want to talk about.

It's kind of a bummer. :D

No it didn't.

I apologize if this post bothers anyone, but some things just HAVE to be said. :):P:D:):)B);)

Was THAT a put-down, or a complaint?

Oh, and please put a danged shirt on. You're not a "hottie".

Actually most people here are friendly, helpful and courteous, though sometimes with a touch of silliness (I'm as guilty of the latter as anybody).

Sure there are a few hot button subjects that can generate spirited debate and a handful of people here who can't resist making things personal, but that is all they are, a handful - maybe half a dozen or so. But most of the debate, though spirited, is respectful.

As far as people coming here to complain, that is the nature of these kinds of forums. People who have no issues tend not to seek out a forum to state their contentment.

I'm active on a number of forums and this is one of the best as far as keeping the vitriol down. Head over to the Backpacker.com forums if you want to see a nasty place. Or better yet the rec.skiing.alpine usenet group where most innocuous question or comment soon degenerates into the most vile name calling imaginable, and participants havei received death threats, lost jobs, had tires slashed and were prevented by a judge from posting there.

This forum is pretty benign as far as Internet forums go and if you avoid reading the hot button subjects you might never run into the kinds of posts that you came here to complain about.

The negativity probably comes from several places, some of which is a perception problem, and some of which is real.

First, Geocachers who frequent forums tend to be passionate about the subject, spend a lot of time here, and have seen countless posts about every topic, most of which come from good intentioned new (to the forum, if not the hobby) cachers who have a "great idea" (bring back virtuals for example). It is generally considered good form to search for posts related to your topic before posting to a forum you are not completely familiar with. This is a common problem amongst many mailing lists and forums, not just geocaching. Repeated duplicate posts can become quite annoying and lead to the negativity you may be seeing.

Second cachers tend to be geeks, and many geeks like to discuss things, sometimes to a great and indepth degree. The back and forth can be seen by outsiders as bickering, nit picking, and fighting, but often it is done in good fun. A lot of people tend to be sarcastic when discussing things, so what appears negative is merely in jest.

Finally some folks are just cranky curmudgeons, and anything said will be met with negative comments. These folks are best ignored :)

All in all I don't see a great deal of negativity on this forum except for frequent "new ideas" which aren't.

Actually most people here are friendly, helpful and courteous, though sometimes with a touch of silliness (I'm as guilty of the latter as anybody).

Sure there are a few hot button subjects that can generate spirited debate and a handful of people here who can't resist making things personal, but that is all they are, a handful - maybe half a dozen or so. But most of the debate, though spirited, is respectful.

As far as people coming here to complain, that is the nature of these kinds of forums. People who have no issues tend not to seek out a forum to state their contentment.

I'm active on a number of forums and this is one of the best as far as keeping the vitriol down. Head over to the Backpacker.com forums if you want to see a nasty place. Or better yet the rec.skiing.alpine usenet group where most innocuous question or comment soon degenerates into the most vile name calling imaginable, and participants havei received death threats, lost jobs, had tires slashed and were prevented by a judge from posting there.

This forum is pretty benign as far as Internet forums go and if you avoid reading the hot button subjects you might never run into the kinds of posts that you came here to complain about.

Have a ton of fun over there does ya? :)

I felt the same way when I first started visiting but it's a bit like watching bull fights. The first bull fight seems brutal, the second seems a little less brutal and so on. By the forth or fifth you begin to appreciate the finer points. It's the same way around here. Eventually you get used to the rudeness, bickering and nitpickers and you learn to focus on the interesting bits.

I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

You did WHAT in your sheets? :)

That's a quote from Steve Martin in 'The Jerk'.

And I did not give you permission to use my picture as your new avatar! :)

7ab53298-2032-488e-82bb-f54cde45277f.jpg

Sorry bout that, but your picture is actually on page 42 of the LAST thread on our local forums. We call you BubbaMike. :)

<snip>

Silly? Who is silly? I resemble that remark!

As far as negativity... everything balances. See?

number_line.gif

because we detest whiney little posts complaining about what others find fun.

:)

Wisco Pride! I'm from Green Bay!

I agree with you, there are a lot of people that A) take this all way to seriously or :laughing: feel that since they've been doing it since 2001 that they're better than us newbies.

...snip...

I've only been caching for 3-4 months, and I've already met half a dozen cachers like this. Unfortunately, they forget what it was like to start, and instead of helping and guiding, they negate or ridicule.

Best thing to remember is that there is always going to be people like that and keep moving forward.

Something I was told 30 years ago in boot camp - there's always going to be that 10% that brings down others. It's very prevalent in life and not any different here on geocaching.com. I'm a bit surprised how much of a business geocaching.com is and not just a place to hang your hat and talk about geocaching to others. I found out in the first week how geocaching is a business because my phone has an app that I use to geocache that doesn't fit the TOU. Bottom line, GC.com can't make any money off it. I'm a premium member, I support the site and everything but I was a bit taken back when I was given a warning the first time I mentioned what I was using that I'd be suspended. Yes this site is overmodded. The moderators have a set of guidelines they must follow behind the scenes too, I respect that.

There are several topics I read and can't believe the replies people give them. I was just in the iPhone forum and someone had a question about getting email deliveries for a FTF, the person wasn't completely informed on what they were asking and at least one person ripped into them. I don't own an iPhone but I certainly don't feel that people need to get ripped into because they might not be as intelligent as someone else.

Again, bottom line is 90% of the people on here are wonderful, it's the 10% that try to ruin it for everyone else.

I've seen several comments that this forum is over-moderated. I don't think so. In fact of all the forums out there this and my local geocaching forum (DixieCachers.com, which is even more heavily moderated than here) are the only two I choose to play in!

I love the fact that our Moderators enforce discipline, keep it clean and fun yet open to anyone willing to behave.

I run a forum for Amateur radio operators (w4aga.com/forums) and use the Moderation on here as an example of how to run a forum... but I don't tolerate ANY negativity in it!

While I do occasionally get carried away I try to follow the logic of 'If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it!'