Question regarding benchmarks enclosed in PVC tube?

HoosierDuke

Went benchmark hunting this weekend, and at the location of one of the benchmarks I was in search of I found the 6" PVC tube with cover as seen in the PDF under another topic. My question is, is it proper (or even legal) to remove the lid in order take a picture of the benchmark? If so, what is the easiest/proper method for removing the top? I made a half-hearted attempt with my hands to remove the lid to no avail.

On a side note, I did find my first "verifiable" benchmark this weekend ... complete with a sign stating that the mark was nearby (btw, is this what is considered a "witness post")? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HoosierDuke:

Went benchmark hunting this weekend, and at the location of one of the benchmarks I was in search of I found the 6" PVC tube with cover as seen in the PDF under another topic. My question is, is it proper (or even legal) to remove the lid in order take a picture of the benchmark? If so, what is the easiest/proper method for removing the top? I made a half-hearted attempt with my hands to remove the lid to no avail.

On a side note, I did find my first "verifiable" benchmark this weekend ... complete with a sign stating that the mark was nearby (btw, is this what is considered a "witness post")? icon_smile.gif

first of all, congratulations on the find. The sign indicating that there is a benchmark close by is one of several varients of a witness post. Some Witness posts are simply a sign post driven to stick up 1-3 feet above ground with no markers of any type on the post.

It is unlikely that the cap on the PVC pipe has been Fastened to the pipe, as surveyors will need to access the inside of the pipe to use the benchmark. If you see threading, you should be able to turn the cap off, though if the cap is a hex nut type, you may need a tool. At that point I would let it go as you have the potential of disrupting the PVC and cap to the point where you damage the mark, or defeat the reason that the cap is there in the first place.

At that point I would do my best to confirm that the PVC pipe is where the benchmark is described as being, relative to the reference marks, and identify it as found in the benchmark records here, with comments re the cover being difficult to remove to the point you did not open it to see the benchmark itself. I would not register it as found at the NGS, but that is my opinion.

Others may give you different advice.

-Rusty

Some lids are of the type that can simply be lifted up, like a standard water valve cover, but in recent years more have been installed that require a socket wrench, allen wrench or similar tool to open properly. Prying them off is not advisable, since it will usually make it impossible to put the lid back on properly, effectively destroying it. Also be aware that roaches, spiders, snakes and scorpions find these dark holes quite comfortable and are commonly found in there too.

Even though it has been fairly cold this winter here in the south, I met a black widow spider icon_frown.gif this past weekend. She was under the flip-up cover that was protecting a stainless steel rod. survey tech isn't kidding about what creatures like to live in these nice little hideouts.

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

After looking at the picture, you might want to try going back to this mark in the summer. I do not see anything that is obviously holding this down as a fastener. That suggest that the reason you are not able to open the cap is that the cap is colder than the pipe the cap is on.

It probably takes some effort to get the cap off of the pipe in the summer, but when the cap shrinks during the winter, it gets a lot harder to take off. The pipe goes several feet into the ground, which is usually somewhat warmer than the air above the ground where the cap is.

Have fun.

-Rusty

There does not appear to be any marking on the cap indicating that it is a survey marker. Since both the type of object and the location are at odds with the description, I think what you have there is a sewer cleanout. Look again, more closely, in the spot specified by the description and ignore the coordinates.

Ahhh ... so the PVC caps have markings on them? That is good to know icon_wink.gif While I doubt that we have a sewer clean out there, as it is on railroad property and at least a 1/2 mile from the nearest house, I do not doubt that it may be something else. However, since finding this, I have noticed more of these types of enclosures around railroad tracks in my area ... and there are alot of benchmarks in my area that appear to be on railroad track property.

Rusty0101 ... thanks for the tip, I'll have to return to this one when the weather warms to get to the bottom of what it actually is.

Thanks again!