Logging Etiquette

Don_J

OK,

I know this has been hammered to death, but I just had to rant.

Silver Staircase is a cache in Montana. I turned out to be the fifth to find and I knew as soon as I arrived that it would be added to my "Favorite 50" bookmark list. If you have time, check out the large gallery and you'll see why. I have been receiving copies of the logs on about a five a week basis. All 217 "Finders took the time to write a unique log, except the two today. Even if it was just a sentence, almost all of them noted the geographical feature and thanked the owner.

Today, we get two logs. "TFTC TNLN SL 777", and "TFTC SL TTB".

What really bothers me is that both of these cachers have been in the game for four years and have over a 1000 finds each.

I know that I shouldn't let this get under my skin, but this just really bothers me.

Oh, well. You cannot make all cachers behave the way you want. Breathe deeply. Say "Oh, well". And continue on. I have some caches with spectacular views of New York City. (Best views of the New York skyline are from Hudson County, New Jersey!) Why anyone would want to do them in the fog is beyond me... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Breathe deeply. Say "Oh, well". And stop worrying about other people.

ae7debfc-07cb-4a63-83a2-1ca73412909e.jpg

Gratuitous view from one of my caches. On a clear day.

OK,

Silver Staircase is a cache in Montana. I turned out to be the fifth to find and I knew as soon as I arrived that it would be added to my "Favorite 50" bookmark list. If you have time, check out the large gallery and you'll see why. I have been receiving copies of the logs on about a five a week basis. All 217 "Finders took the time to write a unique log, except the two today. Even if it was just a sentence, almost all of them noted the geographical feature and thanked the owner.

What really bothers me is that both of these cachers have been in the game for four years and have over a 1000 finds each.

I know that I shouldn't let this get under my skin, but this just really bothers me.

it appears that cache was just a number to those people.

I have seen an "international cacher" with over 10k finds and all he puts on the log is,,, SL,,, that's it nothing else,, so whadda ya gonna do? dont let it give you agida my friend

I bookmarked the cache though,, thanks for sharing it!

Edited by sabrefan7

OK,

if you look at their logs those two seem to cache together and they never bother with anything except acronyms, all the way back to his first cache, which is the only one that has text in the log....if it was just a recent thing i would have said "maybe blame it on the iPhone"

it is frustrating but not much you can do about it, except vent and let it go

Don't worry.

It was probably a cut and paste they add to every cache they find.

These same people probably have a geocaching blog off site where they write copious descriptions about their finds. Interestingly that information would have more value in the caches logs online than some blog no one will read.

Oh, well. You cannot make all cachers behave the way you want. Breathe deeply. Say "Oh, well". And continue on. I have some caches with spectacular views of New York City. (Best views of the New York skyline are from Hudson County, New Jersey!) Why anyone would want to do them in the fog is beyond me... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Breathe deeply. Say "Oh, well". And stop worrying about other people.

If I was worried about anyone, it be the cache owner, who took the time to share his little known secret with us.

In the end, I didn't lose any sleep over it. I realized long ago that "you can't control other people".

Thanks to all that responded.

Edit to add, That's a great photo, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Don_J
Say "Oh, well". And stop worrying about other people.

√3

Erm, what does 1.73205081 have to do with anything? :)

I agree with the quoted sentiment from the porpoise. That extends to not worrying about other people worrying about other people. Or something like that anyway. So, go ahead and rant on, and hope it helps.

Say "Oh, well". And stop worrying about other people.

Being distressed by rude behavior is not "worrying about other people." In this case, it is simply caring about the cache owner.

Just because there are lots of rude people in the world doesn't make the behavior acceptable. I appreciate that the OP saw this as a slight against the cache owner and was offended that someone would treat another this way.

Does this mean we have to let rude behavior ruin our day or our caching? No. But just ignoring it is also not helpful.

A few things come to mind:

In some cases a (hmmm) 'less than complimentary' log only reflects on the person logging.

Perhaps these poor souls had never encountered a cache where anything more than TFTC was appropriate. They were either stunned...or oblivious.

Not all of the logs before their's were exactly 'scintillating'.

As the first 'TFTC' logs, theirs were as 'unique' as any other.

I hear you, Don, and I am just as disappointed by the declining quality of logs as you are.

A few things come to mind:

In some cases a (hmmm) 'less than complimentary' log only reflects on the person logging.

Perhaps these poor souls had never encountered a cache where anything more than TFTC was appropriate. They were either stunned...or oblivious.

Not all of the logs before their's were exactly 'scintillating'.

As the first 'TFTC' logs, theirs were as 'unique' as any other.

I hear you, Don, and I am just as disappointed by the declining quality of logs as you are.

Well, I'll be honest. The quality of my logs is declining, mostly because of the quality of the caches I am finding. Still, I think that TFTC is pretty much the same as giving a waitress a penny tip for bad service.

June 2006, I'm traveling east along US 2 On the Western flank of the Rockies in Montana. I stop for a cache and find this wonderful waterfall. No one else is here. Every ten seconds or so a car buzzes by at 70 MPH. I'm not even thinking about the cache but taking pictures when an SUV slides into the turnout. Dad runs to a tree to take care of business, looks to his left and yells, "honey, check that out". Next thing I know, wife is out with the camera and four boys, probably 12 to 6, are trying to climb the staircase. Next, a big pickup with a Montana Mountain Man pulls in. "You folks need help". "No, we're just looking at the waterfall". He looks over and in astonishment says, "I've never seen that one, I've been driving this road once a week for twenty years and had no idea". Next, a young couple pulls in. They are simply driving down the road and stopping were they see cars because they figure it must be a good photo spot.

Luckily, the actual cache was off a bit from were the party was starting, and I was able to go and sign the log.

BTW The "Going to the Sun Road" is open, through Glacier National Park, Montana. In My mind, there are two things, (well maybe three), that everyone should do. See the Grand Canyon and drive the GTTSR.

Don,

You and I have gone caching with someone (you may be able to figure out who) who only ever seems to log TNSL. My guess is that he just doesn't like to write much when he logs a cache. At least on the hike were he found a few or our caches he seemed to enjoy himself. There is no requirement to wax poetic in your logs (like another cacher we know). Some people are not great creative writers. Some may view the online log only as way to keep a record of their finds. I agree that the online log should be for sharing your experience and thanking the cache owner, but you can't force people to write more than they are going to. I'm thankful that people take the time to log online at all. I'm sure we've both seen names in our caches that never logged them online.

I write on average about 4-5 paragraphs a log on EVERY find, about 20 - 30 sentences. Except for crappy nano's then I usually tell them it's crappy with a log like "would give 4 -5 sents as that is norm but I dont like lame cache" or maybe something a little nicer... No, seriously, I write novels almost on my logs! Every little detail imaginable. It's great to see that basically every cache I find I write about 20 X as much as the person who already has the most amount written. Sadly, no one has returned the favor for mine... AND, I hid an ammo box in a beautiful unknown park. I never expected them too, no one bothers writing no where near as much as me. I doubt anyone ever will.

BTW The "Going to the Sun Road" is open, through Glacier National Park, Montana. In My mind, there are two things, (well maybe three), that everyone should do. See the Grand Canyon and drive the GTTSR.

I can sometimes get inspired by a great location, a good cache name, or some sort of thing that opens the stream of consciousness. Most of my favorite logs have little to do with the cache or caching. And if I really get inspired, I might revise the log ten times before it is finished.

But now that I have stood at Toroweap ("One Giant Step") above the Grand Canyon, perhaps it is time to look at the Going to The Sun Road. So much to do . .. . . And even though its off topic, I wonder about the third thing on the list, since only two are mentioned.