Megellan eXplorist GC

austinhauger

has anybody bought this yet? Megellan eXplorist GC.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=2288

Any feedback, positives or negative about the product.

thanks in advance.

I bought one about 2 months ago to replace my Meridian Platinum for geocaching. Keep in mind, although it has great maps of the entire USA already embedded in the unit, it will not do a street route. It is designed for geocaching only. I would say, it performs like a Garmin Oregon without the touch screen, but I do not think it will out perform a 60csx for geocaching. Some of the great advantages is it will hold up to 10,000 geocaches in it's memory. That includes everything you see on the cache page. It has a color screen that shows city parks in green and cemeteries in red. It has an antenna similar in performance to the 60csx, but one of the big drawbacks is it does not do well in heavy canopy conditions where the 60csx is at it's best. I like it because I have everything I need to know about a cache hide at my fingertips. It will do a projection and you can make an additional 500 separate waypoints. It allows you to make a log of your finds to download to geocaching.com, but it uses a joystick to maneuver over each letter of a keyboard, which makes it slow and cumbersome. To load in the caches, you can do it from geocaching.com directly, or using the free software "Vantagepoint", you can load all 10,000 caches from a gpx file from GSAK. I paid $200.00 for it and I believe I got my money's worth.

L Frank