Trying to organise a geocaching camping trip....maybe in wales?

Can anyone help me?

My partner and I are off for a couple of days at the same time which is a rare occourance, and were thinking about going away to camp for the night somewhere in the UK. We live in dorset, and would like to visit somewhere new, a friend suggested wales as there is a lot of greenery that could have many caches in. Thing is not too sure that we can just go and pitch a tent just anywhere.

Does anyone know of any good camp sites in wales? or anywhere really that is plentiful of caches with a good camping site?

*this is a duplicated post as initially I posted this in the wrong catagory*

any advie is appreciated =)

Are you looking anywhere in particular?

The Brecon Beacons are nice as is the Gower. I can recommend some sites but would help to know what sort of standard you would like - posh or not so posh!!

Edited to add link to this site which we found by accident last year. Gilestone

Edited by *mouse*

Not sure whether you have had your time off or not yet, but Shell Island is a brilliant place to camp. There aren't any caches on the island as it is a designated SSSI, but you have lots of great places nearby. We camp there loads, so much open space, and as long as it is off the ground, you can have campfires. Here's the website. www.shellisland.co.uk

Im off to wales in 5 days time, probably going to go up the mountain and I really want to get some caching done, problem is, i dont have a GPS which allows me to paperless cache, i have to print everything off, and without knowing where I am going exactly, nor do i know the routes up the mountains, im pretty screwed :/

Im off to wales in 5 days time, probably going to go up the mountain and I really want to get some caching done, problem is, i dont have a GPS which allows me to paperless cache, i have to print everything off, and without knowing where I am going exactly, nor do i know the routes up the mountains, im pretty screwed :/

See from your blog you were offered (at a push) an upgrade... (You know what you want -better to wait for it, than get something that doesn't quite do what you want!)

Do you have GSAK? It's possible to print out cache information with a dozen caches on one page of A4.

Will give you the co-ords and basic description with D/T for caches.

(If you download it, it's FREE for 21 days (and fully functional), pay for it later, if you like it.

Run a PQ, filter out the hard ones, filter out the micros, unless you really enjoy them! then print via GSAK.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

See from your blog you were offered (at a push) an upgrade... (You know what you want -better to wait for it, than get something that doesn't quite do what you want!)

Do you have GSAK? It's possible to print out cache information with a dozen caches on one page of A4.

Will give you the co-ords and basic description with D/T for caches.

(If you download it, it's FREE for 21 days (and fully functional), pay for it later, if you like it.

Run a PQ, filter out the hard ones, filter out the micros, unless you really enjoy them! then print via GSAK.

Yeah i downloaded GSAK yesterday but tbh havent got a clue how to use it, i downloaded it so i could use the badge gen for my profile, will look into the filter thanks :)

Not sure whether you have had your time off or not yet, but Shell Island is a brilliant place to camp. There aren't any caches on the island as it is a designated SSSI, but you have lots of great places nearby. We camp there loads, so much open space, and as long as it is off the ground, you can have campfires. Here's the website. www.shellisland.co.uk

Hi,

We go camping on Shell Island all the time as we are only up the road in North Wales (been 4 times this year lol)

There is now a cache by the sign below the carpark at the end of the causeway :unsure:

GC24VBB 'This daughter went to the seaside'

There are loads of good and interesting ones in the area though!

SCMP

Hi,

We go camping on Shell Island all the time as we are only up the road in North Wales (been 4 times this year lol)

There is now a cache by the sign below the carpark at the end of the causeway :(

GC24VBB 'This daughter went to the seaside'

There are loads of good and interesting ones in the area though!

SCMP

Oh the memories of Shell Island, all walking back from the under 16's Disco, holding hands across the bridge as the tide came in.

We still have (Well ...my Dad has) a caravan in the nearest village but i haven't been there for 20 years?

There was even a meet not long ago in the 'Vic pub' (The place I first tasted Scampi in the basket).

Now I want to go back ....

Do you think they will still let me in the under 16's Disco? :D

I camp in North Wales every year, and usually to the Hendre Mynach camp site in Barmouth, so much so I now call it by the Welsh name AberMawr. Great Carnival in August, both the Precipice Walks are good and it offers good roads to the North, and the South for that extra bit of wilderness.