Railroad Commision of Wisconsin disk

glorkar

I recently found one of these marks. The NGS datasheet has the monument date as unknown (no stamped date on disk.) Does anybody know the year range these were placed in? I know it was before 1943, that is the first recovery after being monumented. It appears to be a flat disk with large letters, so I would believe it is from the early 1900's, but that is only a guess.

ef183914-58af-41c8-9dc6-890e0cf17312.jpg

I recently found one of these marks. The NGS datasheet has the monument date as unknown (no stamped date on disk.) Does anybody know the year range these were placed in? I know it was before 1943, that is the first recovery after being monumented. It appears to be a flat disk with large letters, so I would believe it is from the early 1900's, but that is only a guess.

ef183914-58af-41c8-9dc6-890e0cf17312.jpg

glorkar,

Please post the PID for this one. Check for nearby names/designations that would appear to be in the same string. Maybe one of them will have a date, or at least an earlier recovery.

I found that a county shape files downloaded into Excel makes it easy to do sorts that may float similar monuments together. MEL

glokar,

This one will have to stay UNK for now.

OM0138'CENTERLINE OF THE TRACK. A RAILROAD COMMISSION OF WISCONSIN

OM0138'STANDARD DISK, STAMPED B M WATER POWER.

You seem to have come up with a one-of-a-kind - at least in Fond Du Lac County - the only one that is UNK, set by the WI RR Commission; but one of many the the Power Squadron missed in 2003.

Have you run a search for other WI RR Commission marks in the state? Good luck! I need to stick some pins on a map for a weekend trip to the Missouri Breaks. MEL

If you use GSAK and have the entire county in a single database, then do a full text search for "WIRRC".

This will give you a starting point for determining when and where they did survey work in that county. You might want to include nearby counties in the database to get a more complete listing of when and where they were working.

John

I've honestly never used GSAK before. I wouldn't even know where to begin importing the county files into it.

I did a search on the NGS site though and it appears that there are only 3 marks placed by the railroad commision, all three of them are water power benchmarks. All three are unknown dates.

Edited by glorkar

one of many that the Power Squadron missed in 2003.

Not sure how they are in your area, but around here it seems like they weren't very diligent in the early 2000's. They missed this one that I walked right up to, and on another one they marked it found when the station had been destroyed years ago (there was a beacon on top of a tower, the beacon was moved. They thought the beacon was the station when the tower obviously was from the description!)

Searched the Wisconson state datasheet file for WIRRC and came up with this list

QN0062  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
QN0053  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
AB2346  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
OL0254  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
OM0138  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
OM0145  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC
OM0312  HISTORY	 - UNK	  MONUMENTED	   WIRRC

I've honestly never used GSAK before. I wouldn't even know where to begin importing the county files into it.

I have been playing around with the idea of making a benchmark tutorial utilizing GSAK for our local geocaching forum. Is this something that others here may want, considering how old this topic is?

Edited by LSUFan