Airway beacons

rogbarn

I have updated my table of airway beacons here

I have completed states alphabetical thru Vermont. I tried to be thorough but I know I've missed stuff.

I want FEEDBACK!!

Is it useful and/or interesting? Are there some that I've missed? Stuff you'd like to see in the table? Is it worth my time to finish the states (Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Wyoming)?

Also, I just realized that this thing is pretty big (over 700K). Should I break it up, if so, how? East and west of the Mississippi? According to GC grouping in the forums? State by state? Gosh, I hope noone votes for that one icon_smile.gif

Anything else?

Let me know!

All I can say is 'Wow!' You've been busy. That's a very impressive list. If I were you, I'd go ahead and finish it. You're 45 States down... you're almost to the end of it with only five to go.

Your list has shown me three nearby. They're now on my list of marks to find.

I don't know what would be the best way to break it up. Maybe split it into three: the West, between the Pacific Ocean and the Rockies; the Midwest, between the Rockies and the Mississippi; and the East, between the Mississippi and the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe by time zones. How about by Counties? ( ...or not.)

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

It is useful! interesting! appreciated! Thanks, Roger, for assembling this information in one place for those of us especially interested in these marks.!

I tried to copy and paste the first few lines of the html table into an excel spreadsheet. I'm not sure what happened, but the *entire* table ended up in the spreadsheet. icon_smile.gif This will make it easy to pare down and work with the information in which I have the most interest.

I expect we'll have some useful suggestions for improvement as we start using the stuff.

Did I say thanks?

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

Also, I just realized that this thing is pretty big (over 700K).

I meant to ask, does anyone know the UNIX command to see how much disk space I'm using on my ISP's server? I wouldn't want to have anything unusual happen all of a sudden because I'm way over my 5M allocation without knowing it.

Thanks.

The table of airway beacons is done (phew!). I'm sure there are some I've missed, if you let me know, I'll add them to the table. I split the table in two, east and west of the Mississippi, go to the old link to find the links or go direct here: East and West

Feedback is still a good thing! icon_biggrin.gif

Rog - Thanks much! One hell of a project and well done. None are close to my location, but a couple are within driving distance and I hope to check on those this summer. Great work!

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

icon_cool.gifYou have done a great job!!!!!I'm so glad that there are others out 'there' that share in the, shall we say,'joy' of finding these old marks. I know that for me,working without a gps,finding the old maps and the old folks that remember where-sort of-they were has been a BLAST. Now if I can only get my company to let me hunt for them on company time, I'll have it made....

Thanks RogBarn for doing a great job that I'm sure will be used by those of us that share the 'joy'!! icon_cool.gif

There was another thread here where these things were originally discussed. There are some links to nice pictures and historical background in there.

It would be kind of fun to just go there, though...if you find it, you'll know it icon_smile.gif

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I was doing some newby research into airway beacons, when I stumbled across Rog's list. I believe that it is missing this one entitled SUNSET MEMORIAL PARK AWY BCN and designated GV5510 located in Chesterfield County, Virginia.

I also found a number of pretty interesting web pages with information on these beacons that others might enjoy. Night Navigation provides a nice summary history of the beacons and this photo treasure trove has a number of interesting photos. Idaho, Utah and the unknown loaction section at the end have some particularly interesting photos of airway beacons under construction. This one of pads poured while awaiting construction is particularly interesting, since it is about all you are likely to see of one these days.

[This message was edited by Team Lawrence on June 16, 2003 at 11:00 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Lawrence:

I was doing some newby research into airway beacons, when I stumbled across Rog's list. I believe that it is missing GV5510 entitled SUNSET MEMORIAL PARK AWY BCN and designated GV5510 located in Chesterfield County, Virginia.

I have added GV5510 to my list. Many thanks to Team Lawrence for pointing this out. This gives me the opportunity to say that it is possible that I have missed many others. If you know of airway beacons that should show up in my list, please let me know.

Also, thanks to Team Lawrence for posting the links. They are very interesting.

I know there is one in cody wyoing park county but you have none listed for park county

quote:

The table of airway beacons is done (phew!). I'm sure there are some I've missed, if you let me know, I'll add them to the table. I split the table in two, east and west of the Mississippi, go to the old link to find the links or go direct here: http://walden.mvp.net/~rogbarn/airway_beacons_east.htm and http://walden.mvp.net/~rogbarn/airway_beacons_west.htm

Feedback is still a good thing! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by teamcourage:

I know there is one in cody wyoing park county but you have none listed for park county

I downloaded the datasheets for Park County, WY and searched for any sort of beacon. The only datasheet that came up is for PX0398 which is an airport beacon, not an airway beacon. This topic came up originally because people were finding it interesting that these airway beacons, or the remains thereof, are out in the wilderness, on ridges, etc. Airport beacons are at airports, well maintained and usually have restricted access. All of this makes them much less interesting. If there is another beacon that I missed, please let me know.

Thanks.

quote:

I have placed 186 newly found airway beacons http://walden.mvp.net/~rogbarn/airway_beacons_new.htm. It includes both eastern and western states. I have not included them into the old east/west lists that are still out there.

Let me know if the list is useful! icon_biggrin.gif

What do you mean airway beacons. Like VOR or ODB stations. I am a pilot and I was just curious. I can get you a list in the area I fly anyway. A VFR sectional chart would be a good reference. www.airnav.com is also a good place.

quote:
Originally posted by .RANGER.:

What do you mean airway beacons. Like VOR or ODB stations. I am a pilot and I was just curious. I can get you a list in the area I fly anyway. A VFR sectional chart would be a good reference. http://www.airnav.com is also a good place.

This got started from a discussion about old airway beacons. They were placed in the 30s and most, if not all, are long gone. Originally, they also included a concrete arrow which can sometimes be found. This was during the days of visual flight navigation and the pilot had to see something to know he was still on course. The remains of some can be found if you know where to look, thus the impetus to create this list.

I have never heard of it before, I thought they were just taking about navigational beacons in general. But I found it in the AIM. It doesn't have much info other than a definition.

"Airway Beacon-Used to mark airway segments in remote mountain areas. The light flashes morse code to identify the beacon site."

I guess kinda like a non-directional beacon today. It just repeats the ident in morse code on the radio.

quote:

Let me know if the list is useful! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, useful and very interesting. Just wondering

how you missed these the first time? (Were the

descriptions slightly different from what you

searched for?)

Is the decision not to combine them due to the

effort required on your part, or your worry that

it would confuse those of us who have already

downloaded the earlier lists? (If the latter, I'd

vote for combining.)

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

Yes, useful and very interesting. Just wondering how you missed these the first time? (Were the descriptions slightly different from what you searched for?)

Is the decision not to combine them due to the

effort required on your part, or your worry that it would confuse those of us who have already downloaded the earlier lists? (If the latter, I'd vote for combining.)

The first time, I searched the NGS web site by station name using likely names such city names and "AIRWAY". Because the search is state by state and is based on the beginning of the station name, it was hit and miss. While I got most of the likely candidates, there were also a fair number of misses. This time, I downloaded the index list of published and nonpublished markers from the archive section of the NGS site and then did a text search on such things as "AIRW" and "BEACON" which found that string anywhere in the designation. It turned up this group.

As to your second question, the answer is both and more. I wanted to make the list available and didn't feel like spending the time when I didn't know if it would be useful. Space available at my ISP is also an issue (5M limit). Since you have asked, I'll work on combining them. It shouldn't be a big deal.

quote:
Originally posted by .RANGER.:

I have never heard of it before, I thought they were just taking about navigational beacons in general. But I found it in the AIM. It doesn't have much info other than a definition.

"Airway Beacon-Used to mark airway segments in remote mountain areas. The light flashes morse code to identify the beacon site."

I guess kinda like a non-directional beacon today. It just repeats the ident in morse code on the radio.

Try looking thru this thread (Louisville - Dallis Airway Beacons) for some more info and some links that some helpful people other than myself provided. Another example of how many of us are working together to make benchmarking an interesting hobby.

Roger, Rog Good job here are 2 more that I could not find on your list but glad to say are still in service as of this day.......

Keep up the good work Happy Geotrails.

GG0598 Airport Beacon Bentonville

GG0593 Airport Beacon Rogers

GG0537 Amarillo St. Louis BCN # 45 is gone.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

[This message was edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1 on August 23, 2003 at 06:21 PM.]

Great job Rogbarn. I live in Montana where I love to find the more challenging benchmarks that are on mountain tops. I am trying to get to RX0975 to see if it is still there. I've had to back off on the searching because of the forest fires circling our valley. I'll check out some of your other airway beacons in Montana as fall approches and the fires dimminish. THANKS again.

quote:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer 1:

Roger, Rog Good job here are 2 more that I could not find on your list but glad to say are still in service as of this day.......

Keep up the good work Happy Geotrails.

GG0598 Airport Beacon Bentonville

GG0593 Airport Beacon _Rogers_

I made a distinction between airway beacons and airport beacons. From what I can tell, airway beacons were not near airports and are essentially all lost now. Airport beacons are near airports and some have been upgraded and remain in service. Their location can make them difficult to access. Since this was/is a historical exercise, at least in part, I decided to not include airport beacons. There is some overlap, in part because the terms were sometimes used interchangeably. I did searches on words such as airway and awy and I'm sure I picked up some airport beacons along the way. Since I wasn't trying to be complete, I figured it was better to have more rather than less and I left them in rather than spend the time to try to determine what they were. The two that you mention are both airport beacons without any of the keywords that I did searches for.

I only mentioned them because they are along the Old St.Louis/San Fransico Railway and The Trail of Tears or Old Wire Road,I thought they might have served a dual purpose.Oh well I like finding those older ones too.

It adds pizazz to the others.

I am fixing to go and look for some Stone Monuments from 1870's as soon as it cools down a little,they have not been recovered in a long time.

Thanks again for the reply and all that you do here.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

quote:
Originally posted by sundance5567:

Hi group,

I was justup in Racine,Wi, for a Memorial service for my uncle David Munroe, and went to see a plane that he donated to the EAA museum at the Racine Airport. They have the top 8 or 10 feet of one of these beacons in side as a display...pretty cool to touch/feel one!!!!!

David

Here is a photo of that beacon....enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

EAA Chapter 838 Beacon

....now, if I could just find one here in Georgia......... icon_razz.gif

Strip Mining PREVENTS Forest Fires!

[This message was edited by Vexorg_EPPD on September 08, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

I would like to remove the list of beacons that I have on my web site to free up some space for some other things. But I don't want to short change anyone here. If anyone would like it to remain, I can leave it for a while but you need to let me know. Otherwise, it will come down in the next couple of days.

I think we all got a lot of fun out of the discussions of airway beacons and we learned a bit about the early days of aviation. Thanks to all who contributed.

Rog,

I understand about needing space, but I just discovered your list today! icon_smile.gif As a pilot, geocacher, and geek in general, I am really trying very hard to find one of these beacons, or at least its concrete "arrow" foundation, intact enough to photograph.

If I sent you my e-mail address, do you think you could send me a copy of the list in whatever form you may have? I could probably snatch it from the site directly, but if you've got it in a more convenient form that'd be nice. In fact, I'll even host it on my own site if you have no problem with that.

Scott

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Howdy, RB! Well, you can scratch LY2802 off your list. Or update its status, that is. icon_smile.gif Buffalo-New York City Airway Beacon 17 no longer exists. This was verified during the recovery of tri-station LY2803 on 02-OCT-03. The tower was dismantled and removed apparently sometime prior to 1968. Three of the leg anchor points remain embedded in the ground at the site. Zhanna, who visited the site with me, will be submitting the formal report to NGS shortly.

I think the table is a great idea. Nice job! It's always fun to look through this kind of listing. I'd like to be able to learn more about these old landmarks, and I hope to be looking for others, as well. Thanks much.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

quote:
Originally posted by *gln:

I would hate to see the list go away due to the lack of space. Anything we can due to help the cause. Those old beacon locations look kind of neat.

Zhanna has graciously offered space to host the list. If fact, she has them up but I don't have the address here, it will have to wait until Monday unless she sees this and posts it herself. We are working a bit to clean the list up a bit so it has taken a few days. I will leave it on my site until several days after the new address is posted here, I will then replace it with a link to her site so any old links will still get there. I think it is interesting how people find these things so interesting and am glad that the list will stay on the net.

quote:

Zhanna has graciously offered space to host the list. If fact, she has them up but I don't have the address here, it will have to wait until Monday unless she sees this and posts it herself.

I see it now (just got in after a day of benchmark hunting). icon_smile.gif Here are the new URLs:

Airway Beacons (East)

Airway Beacons (West)

As Roger mentioned, we're working on cleaning up some little inconsistencies and making the list more user-friendly, but no matter what changes are made the URLs should remain the same. It's my pleasure to host the list!

Zhanna

I don't know how useful anyone will find this, but in the process of doing some other research, it became necessary for me to download the entire NGS database. Since I had it anyway, I did a comprehensive search for marker type 22, AIRWAY BEACON. Here's the list, in a presentation only a programmer could love:

AB1682 AB1693 AD7512 AD7631 AE5076 AF0187 AG1467 AH1530 AH1534 AH1552 AI5206 AK5765 AK5814 AK5965 AK6442 AO0554 AW6062 AW6495 AW6497 AX2604 AX2619 AX2708 AX2754 AY1832 BC2303 BC2333 BG3862 BG4823 BH2032 BH2039 BJ4137 BJ4266 BJ4398 BK3111 BL2249 BL2259 BM0859 BM0902 BM0948 BM0956 BM1047 BR1092 BR1375 BS1645 BT2097 BT2172 BT2183 BU1875 BU1878 BU1892 BU1915 BU1919 BU1939 BW2183 BW2196 BW2244 BZ1400 CB0834 CC0769 CC0778 CC0793 CD0910 CD0923 CD0971 CD0995 CD0997 CD1004 CD1012 CE0702 CF0275 CF0284 CF0310 CF0312 CF0322 CF0325 CF0350 CF0362 CK3486 CL2139 CL2458 CM2197 CM2251 CM2264 CM2265 CM2310 CM2320 CN2944 CN2945 CN2946 CN2950 CN2983 CO1141 CO1164 CO1214 CP2633 CP3041 CQ2936 CQ2995 CQ3025 CR1329 CS3073 CS3076 CS3147 CU0955 CX1741 CY1181 CZ1783 CZ1821 CZ1930 CZ1940 CZ1942 CZ1965 CZ2024 DB1365 DB1441 DB1442 DB1653 DC1948 DC1996 DC2073 DC2085 DD3242 DD3342 DF1296 DG2532 DG2627 DG2776 DG3089 DG3130 DG3248 DG3378 DG3461 DG3612 DG3626 DH2430 DH2457 DH2490 DH2498 DH2499 DH2502 DH2507 DH2563 DH2567 DH2620 DH2628 DL1455 DL1546 DL1565 DL1568 DL1575 DM1244 DM1252 DM1254 DM1396 DM1402 DN1275 DN1325 DN1342 DU2114 DU2116 DU2118 DU2134 DU2166 DV2035 DV2137 DW0890 DX4994 EB2624 EB2807 ED1566 ED1955 ED2570 ED2582 EE1781 EH2884 EH3052 EH3077 EH3083 EJ1725 EJ1855 EJ1976 EJ1981 EL0900 EM0654 EM1009 EQ0737 EQ0747 EQ0918 ES1047 ET1117 EU0904 EU1084 EZ5306 FA1836 FA2431 FA3230 FA3231 FA3272 FA3277 FA3290 FA5001 FD1413 FD1522 FD1531 FD1620 FJ1256 FJ1264 FJ1289 FJ1303 FK0604 FL1809 FL1945 FL1993 FL2000 FL2027 FM0903 FM0918 FM0969 FM1009 FN0484 FN0496 FN0519 FN0557 FN0578 FN0579 FN0583 FN0588 FN0636 FO0982 FO1617 FO1626 FO1641 FO1695 FP0466 FP0472 FP0499 FP0586 FQ0673 FQ0673 FR0857 FR0857 FR0867 FR0867 FR0872 FR0872 FR0946 FR0968 FV1462 FW0807 FX3013 FY2511 FY3053 FY3064 FY3639 FZ1929 FZ2145 GA3346 GA3392 GA3409 GC2099 GC2101 GC2106 GC2110 GC2181 GC2192 GC2227 GC2314 GC2329 GC2357 GC2535 GD1843 GD1859 GD1862 GG0537 GG0571 GG0582 GG0586 GG0710 GG0791 GH0667 GJ0623 GJ0647 GM0727 GM0741 GR1830 GR1878 GR1879 GR1880 GR1891 GT2085 GV3720 GV4330 GV4740 GV5231 GV5266 GV5309 GV5510 GV5512 GV5622 GV5645 GV5648 GV5654 GV5667 GW2172 GW2208 GW2229 GW2300 GW2369 GW2370 GX3287 GX3304 GX3329 GZ2815 GZ2816 GZ2822 GZ2825 GZ2838 HA1352 HA1356 HA1370 HA1379 HB1750 HB1751 HB1758 HB1772 HB1775 HB1787 HC0903 HC0909 HC0940 HD1036 HD1072 HD1176 HD1199 HD1207 HE0713 HE0805 HF1187 HF1196 HF1245 HF1365 HF1373 HF1421 HK0432 HK0437 HK0440 HO0600 HO0616 HO0621 HO0622 HO0625 HO0627 HO0635 HO0641 HP0315 HV4584 HV5014 HV5394 HV5415 HV5438 HV5440 HV5522 HV5526 HV6916 HV7434 HW3241 HW3281 HW3399 HW3424 HW3439 HW3466 HW3565 HW3589 HW3598 HX2865 HX2927 HX2936 HX2965 HX3034 HX3132 HZ1998 HZ2355 HZ2546 JB1999 JC1509 JC1538 JC1568 JD2464 JD2500 JE1644 JE1654 JE1673 JE1695 JE1709 JE1751 JE1805 JE2026 JE2042 JK1093 JK1199 JO0535 JO0557 JO0567 JQ0530 JR1014 JS4398 JT2195 JU3678 JU3720 JU3837 JU3935 JV4361 JV4486 JV4657 JV4680 JV4762 JV4764 JV4861 JV4870 JV4944 JV5306 JV5862 JV5881 JV6080 JV6101 JW1396 JW1400 JW1487 JZ2916 JZ3129 JZ3263 JZ3266 JZ3291 JZ3314 JZ3326 JZ3342 KA1890 KA1960 KA2004 KB1466 KB1516 KC0581 KC0589 KD1095 KD1139 KD1145 KD1173 KD1178 KD1181 KD1201 KD1210 KD1264 KD1295 KE1311 KE1317 KE1321 KE1346 KE1412 KE1430 KE1528 KE1557 KK1650 KL0620 KL0666 KL0699 KO0429 KO0431 KR1538 KR1547 KR1556 KT1811 KU3039 KU3889 KU3926 KV3559 KV3571 KV3577 KV3595 KV3608 KV3627 KV3771 KV4352 KV4821 KV5439 KV5496 KV5503 KV5504 KV5704 KV5751 KV5819 KW2798 KW2811 KW2862 KW2879 KW2913 KW2940 KW2966 KW2996 KW3002 KW3038 KW3089 KW3092 KW3105 KW3147 KW3173 KX1989 KX1996 KX2002 KX2010 KX2022 KX2162 KX2169 KX2288 KX2314 KY3096 KY3139 KY3202 KY3233 KY3258 KY3274 KY3417 KY3438 KY3448 KZ1831 KZ1836 KZ1847 KZ1883 KZ1884 KZ1894 KZ1901 LA2411 LB2151 LC1933 LC1944 LC1964 LD0722 LD0726 LD0761 LD0766 LD0769 LD0853 LE0452 LE0454 LE0471 LE0485 LE0493 LF1332 LF1340 LG0757 LG0796 LG0896 LH1044 LH1087 LL1223 LL1245 LL1260 LL1264 LL1272 LL1277 LO0708 LO0818 LO1031 LP0424 LP0434 LP0436 LP0447 LP0470 LP0482 LP0496 LP0511 LP0515 LP0579 LQ0586 LQ0597 LQ0606 LQ0620 LQ0629 LQ0676 LQ0737 LQ0749 LR0843 LR0848 LR0877 LR0923 LS0572 LS0603 LZ2018 MA2225 MB2074 ME2413 ME2452 MF1330 MF1439 MF1502 MF1686 MF1687 MF1728 MF1738 MF1748 MG0669 MG0699 MG0705 MH0470 MH0617 MJ1097 MJ1104 MJ1112 MJ1181 MJ1203 MJ1205 MJ1227 MJ1247 MJ1250 MJ1288 MK1834 MK1960 MK1989 MK1998 MM0376 MN0422 MO1117 MO1167 MO1218 MO1229 MO1245 MO1266 MO1300 MP0518 MP0608 MQ0435 MQ0437 MQ0447 MQ0462 MQ0469 MQ0471 MR0773 MS0715 MS0728 MT0818 MT0819 MZ1975 NA2010 NA2025 NB2027 NC0918 NE1473 NG0618 NG0660 NH1194 NM1646 NM1663 NM1666 NP0689 NQ0545 NQ0563 NQ0596 NQ0649 NQ0678 NT0555 NU1617 NU1678 NU1711 NU1741 NU1758 OD1445 OF1435 OF1987 OF1988 OF1989 OF1990 OF2426 OG0486 OM1146 ON0841 ON1043 ON1112 ON1117 ON1158 ON1166 OQ0723 OT0813 PC1009 PG1682 PG1773 PG1910 PG1934 PG1963 PG2458 PO0729 PP2198 PW0476 PZ0637 PZ0656 PZ0669 QW0514 QW0577 QW0634 QW0640 QX0657 RD2119 RP0948 RR0768 RR0888 RR0972 RT0485 RV0735 RV0737 RV0743 RW0489 RX0900 RZ1721 SA2106 SA2138 SA2141 SB1114

Edited by parkrrrr
Since I had it anyway, I did a comprehensive search for marker type 22, AIRWAY BEACON.

Hmm ... I notice that I have some in my list that aren't in yours. For example: UW5259 and UV8494. (I just picked two from the end of my list.)

I thought that maybe these particular datasheets for some reason omitted the marker type field, but I see that it is listed and "Airway Beacon" is correctly indicated.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? :ph34r:

(By the way, thanks for doing this. Rogbarn alerted me to some that weren't already on our list.)

~Zhanna