Digital photos of benchmarks and caches

bmeux

Is there a way to compress or reduce the size of digital photos after they have been taken so they can be posted to the website. I have taken several photos that are about 500 kb in size. I understand it is appropriate to keep the size under 100 kb for logging purposes. I have figures out how to change the compression size on the camera before the picture is taken, but is there a way to do it on the computer after the photo is taken? I use a pc laptop. Thanks

You can upload fairly sizeable files (I think up to several MB) and the geocaching site will re-size it for you. Your upload will go faster, of course, if you have smaller files, so it may in some cases be still worthwhile to downsize. But unless you have honking big photo files, it's usually easiest to just upload whatever you've got and let the machines do our work for us.

Don't get even - get odd

I am using Adobe Photoshop, and it works wonderfully for that. It costs a lot, so I'm sure you would not be interested in buying it. Well over $500.00 U.S. dollars. But, if you can't resize using any of the software the other people suggested, I would be happy to resize, or reduce them for you. Just send me an email, and I'll do it. aNOSPAMorr@mac.com

Take the "NOSPAM" out of the address please to email me.

-Andy

-------------------

www.rc-xb-70.com/geo/

I am new to this site but have been doing digital photography and computer graphics for a number of years. I know there are many free or shareware programs out there to resize and convert graphics images. However, there are also many powerful graphics programs which are also very inexpensive! After getting one, I can assure you that you will wish you had had one all along! One excellent program for converting many graphic file types, resizing images, cropping images, doing overlays, etc. is Photo Studio by Arcsoft. The last version (Vers. 3) I bought was under $40.

Another indispensable graphics handling program is Thumbs Plus by Cerious Software, which I have also used for years. It is excellent for tracking images (& other special files) on your computer, as well as making thumbprints for quick locating, for batch resizing & photo editing, for printing image catalogs, and for printing custom photo albums, and for computer slide show viewing. I believe my last version (Vers. 4) ran about $35.

Other general info: most newer digital cameras will allow you to take the initial photos in various levels of JPEG compression. For most computer viewing purposes (& for emailing), I recommend a setting of under 1.2 Megapixels at medium JPEG compression, so that the digital photos average about 250KB initially.

I usually re-crop them, resize them, and sometimes even increase the JPEG compression with a lower Quality Percentage (under 80%) if I want them to be under 50KB to quickly upload for emailing.

One other note: I have mentioned only JPEG format, as it is the best for emailing compressed color images. The bitmap images (with .BMP extensions) created with Microsoft Paint are not compressed---the good quality 250KB JPEG images with average compression would be about 3 MB in bitmap format!! One can convert also to another popular web page and emailing format called GIF-- it is a good format for sending B/W and also color graphics drawings & charts (not good for photos). If you want to provide high quality compressed images to Macintosh users, you can convert the image to TIFF format.

Well, I wanted to share some of what I have picked up over time in handling computer graphics, and I hope I didn't bore you but hope this info is useful to those of you new to computer graphics.

Regards to All,

Glenn

Bellaire, TX

You might also try Paint Shop Pro, I use .jpg format with 15% compression for my Geocache stuff. I resize until I get my filesize to within limits.

For my own page stuff, I use my own judgement based on the detail I want and the webspace I have.

SAMPLES:

http://members.cox.net/dmbleess/geocache/

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=ab4095

www.jasc.com

PSP is another one of those advanced graphics and photo manipulation software programs, but once you get the hang of the basics of it, it's very useful.