100 Mile Hike Challenge (WA State)

The Navigatorz

Do you like a Challenge? Do you like to hike? Do you like to find geocaches?

If you answered yes to all 3 questions, you might be interested in a new challenge cache, the Hike 100 Miles Challenge. In a nutshell, starting now, hike to existing geocaches that are at least 5 miles round trip with elevation gains of 500 feet or more. When your hike distances total 100 miles, write a note describing the hike information to qualify for finding the final cache. There is no deadline for completing the challenge, but hikes must be started after July 8. Caches must be those listed in Washington state, but there's no requirement to travel all over the state. All hikes may be right in your own home area. Official rules are on the cache page.

There is no deadline for completing the challenge, but hikes must be started after July 8.

Just a FYI, you didn't state anything about not counting hikes prior to July 8th in the "Challenge Rules" section on the cache page.

You will probably have someone logging a FTF today by counting prior hikes! :anibad:

Edited by GrnXnham

There is no deadline for completing the challenge, but hikes must be started after July 8.

Just a FYI, you didn't state anything about not counting hikes prior to July 8th in the "Challenge Rules" section on the cache page.

You will probably have someone logging a FTF today by counting prior hikes! :lol:

Dangit, you harshed the loophole. :anibad:

You will probably have someone logging a FTF today by counting prior hikes! :anibad:

Challenge Rule #1 read "Add up the miles hiked on future hikes..."

But to make it clearer, I will revise it to show a July 8, 2010 start date.

I'm in. Clarification: A geocache has to be the destination and you can't use your own caches. What about visiting a cache you've previously found? Example: This Sunday, a few folks are hiking to cache landing at tullis canyon. I found this a few years ago, but am going back cos it's a great one. I will probably sign the log again and post a note. Can I count that?

Edited by hydnsek

I'm in. Clarification: A geocache has to be the destination and you can't use your own caches. What about visiting a cache you've previously found? Example: This Sunday, a few folks are hiking to cache landing at tullis canyon. I found this a few years ago, but am going back cos it's a great one. I will probably sign the log again and post a note. Can I count that?

Interesting question, but I'd rather hikes/caches be one's you haven't visited before. If I accept that variation, then what about if someone does the same 5 mile hike to the same cache each time. The idea is to visit new caches on each hike. Sorry.

Interesting question, but I'd rather hikes/caches be one's you haven't visited before. If I accept that variation, then what about if someone does the same 5 mile hike to the same cache each time. The idea is to visit new caches on each hike. Sorry.

Suggest you make that clear on the challenge page to avoid any confusion, then. Bummer, can't count this weekend. Or the upcoming weekends when I do some big hikes to place new caches. Kinda restrictive. Oh well, still plenty of caches I haven't found.

Edited by hydnsek

That's no challenge. :signalviolin: If I read this right, I'll have half of this done in September in one hike.

I just took a look. Not a single cache in 48 miles.

No challenge? Shall I bump it up to 500 miles for you TL? :(

Are you saying you have found all caches within 48 miles of you?

No. I'm saying no caches on the planned 48 mile hike. :wacko: It's a bummer but that's ok. I recently did a 30 mile hike, had two caches to look for and chose not to look for them.

So let me get this straight, elevation is measured from starting point to cache.

Example: I start hiking at Camp Shurman (9,500') on Mt Rainier. I hike to the summit and down the other side to find an Earthcache at Camp Muir (10,000'). Even though I crossed 14,000' to get there, for this challenge, my elevation gain is 500'.

I'm OK with that, just want to make sure I understand.

So let me get this straight, elevation is measured from starting point to cache.

Example: I start hiking at Camp Shurman (9,500') on Mt Rainier. I hike to the summit and down the other side to find an Earthcache at Camp Muir (10,000'). Even though I crossed 14,000' to get there, for this challenge, my elevation gain is 500'.

I'm OK with that, just want to make sure I understand.

Exceeding 500 feet during the hike qualifies the hike for the challenge. The trailhead and cache could be at the same elevation but if during the hike the trail gains 500 feet plus, it meets the criteria. In your example, the elev gain would be 4500 feet.

Just for giggles, I went after a 9.6 mile cache that hadn't been found since last year and after walking over an hour in the pitch black(I had a headlamp) alone and bats swooping at my head, I got back to my car and realized, that cache might still be out there. So yeah, had an amazing hike, spent twenty minutes searching for an ammo can as the sun started to set and figured the 5 miles ahead of me weren't getting any shorter. Good luck everyone, this challenge has motivated me to get out there a bit more often and enjoy this bit of summer we're getting. The blisters on the back of my feet sure prove it.

The rules list the cache as the turning point, but would there be any exceptions for mountain peak hikes/climbs?

Example: Mt St Helens geocaches are around 6800ft with a mile and 1400 elevation left to summit.

Sorry but this challenge is about accumulating hiking distances to Geocaches, not to destinations beyond. You can hike as far as you wish after finding the cache, but the additional miles hiked beyond the cache will not count for this challenge.

I'm definitely in on this one! One additional question: will you count mountain biking to a cache? EraSeek and I had a phenomenal trip to the Plains of Abraham weekend before last that was as strenuous as a hike, but we were pedaling rather than hiking. Will you count a mountain bike outing, or do I have to start a completely separate challenge? :(

I'm definitely in on this one! One additional question: will you count mountain biking to a cache? EraSeek and I had a phenomenal trip to the Plains of Abraham weekend before last that was as strenuous as a hike, but we were pedaling rather than hiking. Will you count a mountain bike outing, or do I have to start a completely separate challenge? :(

I saw this on the challenge page, don't know when it was added:

Final note, this is a Hike challenge. Listing cache destinations in your totals that were achieved by riding horses, mountain bikes, motorcycles, etc not allowed.

Great, you're signed up. If you did any qualifying hikes since the challenge start date of July 8, let me know the hike info and I will update your stats.

No doubt mountain biking is just as strenuous as hiking (maybe more in some cases) but I wanted this to be a hike only cache (see 2nd paragraph after rule #7 on cache page). Sounds like a great idea for a new challenge though....right up you're alley Moun10Bike. :D Perhaps the mileage goal would need to be increased however. :)

By the way, I saw your trip report for Plains of Abraham at EveryTrail.com. Looked like a great ride. Nice pics.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Final note, this is a Hike challenge. Listing cache destinations in your totals that were achieved by riding horses, mountain bikes, motorcycles, etc not allowed.

Been there since day 1. Still sounds like a great idea for a new challenge though. :(

Been there since day 1. Still sounds like a great idea for a new challenge though. :(

I figured that was the case, but I was curious as I ran out the door for home. Next time I promise to read the cache page before asking. :D

This really only has a 2.5 difficulty rating????

You have to hike a hundred miles with an elevation gain of at least a 500 ft gain and it only gets a 2.5 and a 3.5 terrain?

You've got to be kidding?

I've done 3.5 terrains that were easier than just one of the hikes that make up this cache.

You have to hike a hundred miles with an elevation gain of at least a 500 ft gain and it only gets a 2.5 and a 3.5 terrain?

I've done 3.5 terrains that were easier than just one of the hikes that make up this cache.

I think he is giving the star rating based on the difficulty of the final cache for this challenge. The individual caches required for this challenge have each been given their own star rating. So your difficulty will vary depending on which caches you seek for the 100 mile requirement.

I've seen challenge cache owners give star ratings both ways--the way that you describe and the Navigatorz way. I don't think there is an incorrect way of rating these challenges. It's just up to the cache owner how he wants to rate them.

I think he is giving the star rating based on the difficulty of the final cache for this challenge. The individual caches required for this challenge have each been given their own star rating. So your difficulty will vary depending on which caches you seek for the 100 mile requirement.

I've seen challenge cache owners give star ratings both ways--the way that you describe and the Navigatorz way. I don't think there is an incorrect way of rating these challenges. It's just up to the cache owner how he wants to rate them.

Thank you GrnXnham. The rating is for the final cache. All of the individual caches have their own difficulty/terrain rating, so I figured when looking for the final, one would want to know the difficulty/terrain rating for it.

At the request of others, Rule #6 has been modified. "Hikes for the purpose of hiding NEW caches qualify and will be counted if the cache gets published, but hikes to your own existing hides will not be counted". So if any of you have a new cache that was hidden on or after July 8, and the hike distance/elevation qualifies for the challenge, please post the information for credit.

One final tweak for rule number 6) Hikes for the purpose of hiding NEW caches qualify if the cache gets published, but hikes to your own existing hides will not be counted. NOTE: For this challenge, only ONE NEW HIDE allowed per participant.

It seems that after modifying the original rule (after repeated requests to do so) to allow new hikes, it may have satisfied some (names withheld), but it ended up disappointing others who have asked that the rule get changed back (names withheld). The reason for originally not allowing new hides was to avoid the convenience hides (sometimes called NRV hides), which are thought of as an easy way to increase one's total count. However, it made sense that one most likely wouldn't hike 5+ miles to toss out a convenience cache. Anyway, there are good arguments both ways. Hopefully this last rule mod will be a happy medium by allowing hides, but limiting them to one per participant. The phrase "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time" is true.

PS. Future requests for rule changes will be ignored. [:(]