Jeep Wrangler? or Mini Cooper?

MissJenn

I was on my way to the Friday Meet & Greet and Luau on July 2 when I was suddenly rear-ended as I was exiting I-90 towards Lake Sammamish. My trusty Honda Civic Hybrid eventually came to rest on its passenger side. That little car and the seat belt I had on saved my life. I got out of the car by stepping onto the steering wheel and clambering out the driver's window.

Thank you to the geocachers who have been sending me lots of love and positive vibes since hearing of the wreck. The gentle hugs were much appreciated!! And I apologize to those of you who got stuck in the resulting traffic jam.

Trying to forget all the unpleasantness, I want to focus on the silver lining: I need a new car. So what do you think?

Jeep Wrangler? or Mini Cooper? Which would be the better cache mobile?

I'm considering both brand new and late-model used car with low miles. If someone happens to know someone who is selling one or has access to a discount, I would certainly appreciate a quiet tip to my email.

And do you think anyone would notice if I still logged an Attended to the luau? I did have my Hawaiian shirt ready in the car ...

Some how a mini cooper going along those timber trails just doesn't come into focus. Although I must say I've taken my G6 down some roads that I wonder why I thought that was a good idea. :anibad: I hope your well on the mend and it was great seeing you again. I wouldn't mind if you logged the event, you were there in spirit.

I took my old trusty Mini-Van up/down some logging roads that would scare many of the so called 4x4's on the road today. But unless you are looking at is as a strickly commuter car I just don't see a mini-Cooper as a cache mobile. Besides you'd look so good in a Jeep.

I saw you on Friday night. That counts as an attended doesn't it.

We have 4 vehicles. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

We have a Tc Scion that is about the size of a Mini Cooper and gets

aboout 33 mpg. It gets the most use. Love to drive the 2000 Land Cruiser. Like the all wheel drive and we take it if we are going to be off road. But it only gets about 15-17 mpg. We have a very nice 97 road trek on a Dodge chassis. Crowded but has everthing we need for camping overnight. Gets about 17 mpg has high clearance but needs a 40 acre field to turn around in. This is what we take if going on a trip like to Alaska. Then I have a big ruckus Honda 250 scooter that I used a lot before the wife really got into geocaching. She is not that thrilled with riding on the back of it. It gets around 60 to 75 mpg. I would get the Jeep. Dick W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Can I vote neither?

The Cooper is a great city car. A touch overpriced, but a fine machine that will get you where you are going in style and comfort, and even a little zip.

The Wrangler is a great summer kick-around car, but they are very loud (tires, road noise, limited insulation from the fabric sides) at anything above 25 MPH, and the ride is pretty harsh for a daily driver.

If you want a practical smaller-sized car that is good around town, but still works on the moderate off-the-pavement roads we've got, I'd vote for one of the small SUVs like the Honda CRV. More car-like than the Jeep, but more sure-footed and higher ground clearance than the Mini.

But, I wouldn't listen to me. I've got a Miata and a Land Cruiser, so I just spilt the uses into two cars... :anibad:

log it! you were there in all spirit! I vote for a Jeep to you agreeing with the trails; its much less worry than in a mini. plus you wont worry as much if mud gets on it. think of all the fun if ya got a soft top. though down side is gas mileage and if you put a lift on top heavy. i havent read any recent crash reports on either but my thought is higher up your a lil more safer but at speeds nothing is really "safe".

good seeing you out and about at events.

dont for get epsom salt baths can be your BFF. also get massage, it will greatly increase healing and decrease any sneaking up on you pains later when you wont be thinking where they are coming from. insurance in WA ST has to cover alternitive medicine. you can also get an RX from your Doctor. :anibad:

hope you are feeling better.

My vote is for the Jeep. I like the '97 on up Jeeps the best. The new four door with big tires is the best looking 4x4.

On the practical side, you won't get very good gas mileage. It's a fit thing. Jeeps are for people who frequent the outdoors. I'm talking about people who go out to the boonies and are miles from civilization. If you are just planning on driving it around town with the top down, buy some other wimpy car with a convertible top that gets good gas mileage.

Only in a Jeep,

-Jeepdelfuego

www.hemetjeepclub.com

www.jeepdir.com

Why buy a jeep?

Can I vote neither?

The Cooper is a great city car. A touch overpriced, but a fine machine that will get you where you are going in style and comfort, and even a little zip.

The Wrangler is a great summer kick-around car, but they are very loud (tires, road noise, limited insulation from the fabric sides) at anything above 25 MPH, and the ride is pretty harsh for a daily driver.

If you want a practical smaller-sized car that is good around town, but still works on the moderate off-the-pavement roads we've got, I'd vote for one of the small SUVs like the Honda CRV. More car-like than the Jeep, but more sure-footed and higher ground clearance than the Mini.

But, I wouldn't listen to me. I've got a Miata and a Land Cruiser, so I just spilt the uses into two cars... :anibad:

the ride of the wrangler would depend on if its been altered (rasied/otherwise) and what type of suspension/shocks it has. aftermarker stuff can change how a vehicle rides or you can have a rough ride when you have newer parts or if other parts are warn out. and ture on the road noise but you are in a 4x4 so of course you are going to have noise.

the CRV would be the bestest option as saftey in a crash. it has the best safety rating.

to check vehiles on safety http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/safety/index.html

Edited by Ichthyguy

Having tried caching in a Mini Cooper, I say Jeep if you plan on any back roads travel. (Actually, I'd say CR-V or Forester, but you didn't ask about them.) Mini Cooper has low clearance and small tires, not good for rough forest roads or snow. I got stuck in the snow in my rental Mini Cooper, on a road my RAV4 would've had no trubba with, plus it bottomed out way too easily. And I agree with Annie, you just look like a Jeep Girl. :anibad:

I vote for the Honda CR-V, or the Forester. Unless you plan on some real remote, and rugged roads, these two are perfect for the logging roads or the highway.

I have the CR-V. I really like it. (and have taken it on some pretty primitive roads with no problems. )

Having tried caching in a Mini Cooper, I say Jeep if you plan on any back roads travel. (Actually, I'd say CR-V or Forester, but you didn't ask about them.) Mini Cooper has low clearance and small tires, not good for rough forest roads or snow. I got stuck in the snow in my rental Mini Cooper, on a road my RAV4 would've had no trubba with, plus it bottomed out way too easily. And I agree with Annie, you just look like a Jeep Girl. :anibad:

JeepnJenn

JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP

Check out the newer Jeep JKs. There are no longer noisy at all even with the soft tops. They have come along ways in making the soft tops noise free these days, plus there's just something about being part of the club and getting the Jeep wave from a fellow Jeeper. I am partial as I have owned a bunch of them over the years though. But seriously go drive one of the newer ones and you'll be very impressed. They are much more comfortable than the Jeeps of past.

If gas mileage is a consideration, stick with any of the Hondas. We've had 5 Civics over the last 12 years. The current one has over 160K on it. Jeeps are great for ground clearance and steep terrain but not so good for gas mileage or in an accident.

I must have arrived at the luau after your car got hauled away.

My next vehicle purchase will probably be a Honda Fit.

Having been very active in a Jeep club for many years, I am quite familiar with the Jeep Wrangler's fuel non-economy and how they ride. There is a special spot in my heart for those vehicles, no matter what. It's a Jeep thing, ya know ....

It's just that those Mini Coopers are so darned cute, too!!

I hope to get some test drives in this weekend and will keep all these comments in mind.

Having been very active in a Jeep club for many years, I am quite familiar with the Jeep Wrangler's fuel non-economy and how they ride. There is a special spot in my heart for those vehicles, no matter what. It's a Jeep thing, ya know ....

It's just that those Mini Coopers are so darned cute, too!!

I hope to get some test drives in this weekend and will keep all these comments in mind.

Don't leave us hanging! Let us know what you decide :signalviolin:

I heart you, Janet. :) I may have almost forgiven you for the tighty whitey picture with THIS particular upload. :)

That photo was taken at a Jeep "rodeo" during an event I hosted some time ago in Pennsylvania: bullseye pew Jog (hint: it's an anagram).

The goal is to get all 4 tires on top of those 4 blocks of wood, and to stay there: fairly difficult to do unless you know what you are doing with just the right combination of gas and breaks. The guys are clapping 'cuz (I think) I got it on my first try.

Here is another pic of a two-person event at the Jeep rodeo: doors must be off the Jeep. Then the driver drives and the passenger has to maneuver the ball with a broom through the course laid out with orange cones. Totally fun!

I own a Mini so I am biased. The old Mini was modified by John Cooper to make the Mini Cooper rally car. To say the Mini Cooper is bad on back roads when it has won several rallies is kind of absurd. The Jeep is the opposite of of a Mini when it comes to center of gravity. The Jeep is so high that you can roll it over by making a certain kind of turn. You can't roll a Mini.

That said, I have bottomed out on speed bumps and parking lot and driveway ramps.

I own a Mini because I like to drive. I kind of grind my teeth when people say it's cute(sorry). I would like to have Jeep too, though. A real dilemma. Good luck.

Owning and driving a Jeep gives you a special more personal feeling that non-Jeep drivers will ever understand.

It's alot like that love for your country feeling that a veteran feels when he thinks about his country that a non-serving member of society will ever be able to feel or understand no matter how hard you try to make them understand.

To me there is absolutely no comparison between a Mini and a Wrangler. I've ridden in a mini a few times and honestly i'd take my old 1983 Subaru DL sedan over a mini in a heartbeat. Mini's are cute and look really good when wrapped around a young beautiful woman, but when you really need to get there and and don't ever want to think about "will my vehicle make it", then go on down and pick up a Wrangler. Besides, even Susan Boyle would look good in a Jeep. Best of Luck!

I own a Mini so I am biased. The old Mini was modified by John Cooper to make the Mini Cooper rally car. To say the Mini Cooper is bad on back roads when it has won several rallies is kind of absurd. The Jeep is the opposite of of a Mini when it comes to center of gravity. The Jeep is so high that you can roll it over by making a certain kind of turn. You can't roll a Mini.

That said, I have bottomed out on speed bumps and parking lot and driveway ramps.

I own a Mini because I like to drive. I kind of grind my teeth when people say it's cute(sorry). I would like to have Jeep too, though. A real dilemma. Good luck.

The Jeep is high to manage the potholes and ruts commonly seen on our forest service roads. To try to treat it and turn it like a sports car (certain turns) is ridiculous. Its the same old argument that went into how unsafe the Samurai was by proving it couldn't handle sports car like turns just to prove a point. It wasnt unsafe until it was handled like a low ground clearance sports car instead of a mini SUV.

Simply, you must drive the conditions you're faced with, but you must also drive the vehicle the way it was designed. Depending on where you intend to drive, plan your purchase accordingly.

Get both!

Used Jeep Cherokee 6-cyl 4wd in good shape can be found around here for $1500 that are still dependable and have lots of life left in them.

When you buy the Mini tell the dealer to find you a Jeep at the wholesale auction they all attend as part of the deal!

Then when you go caching look at your target list and take the appropriate vehicle. ;)

If you can't do that buy the Jeep! :)

You know it needs to be Wrangler. Min-Coopers and such are great for commuting to work ad going shopping, but we all know that geocachers are outdoors oriented that strive to get to out of the way places. Mini-coopers just are not designed to go where you know you want to be.

88a31657-d350-467c-9da8-0aae9ce3104c.jpg

8f3d2e9b-3d30-4d38-a783-c3fae72da76c.jpg

Matter of fact, this Green Jeep will be for sale as I will not be needing it for a year or so and I will be replacing it with an MRAP.

edit: tag repair

Edited by Moose Mob

You know it needs to be Wrangler. Min-Coopers and such are great for commuting to work ad going shopping, but we all know that geocachers are outdoors oriented that strive to get to out of the way places. Mini-coopers just are not designed to go where you know you want to be.

8f3d2e9b-3d30-4d38-a783-c3fae72da76c.jpg

Matter of fact, this Green Jeep will be for sale as I will not be needing it for a year or so and I will be replacing it with an MRAP.

edit: tag repair

I agree with MooseMob - Jeep!

But wait, what? The GJTB is going up for sale? Does that mean you have to transfer the TB too?

I still miss my 1978 CJ5. It was an excellent backcountry rig.

There's simply no substitute for a Jeep, unless you've got a

MOD Land Rover (about a 101 or shorter). As far as fuel goes -

well... I'm sure something can be sacrificed in the family

budget so the fuel bill for geocaching can be met. Besides,

based on the photos it looks like you've mastered the fine

art of throttle / brake control!

Moose Mob - Be safe over there while driving the MRAP...

Let me know if there's any cache support we folks from

GeocacheAlaska can send your way while you're there.

I was looking for you at the Friday night event. I didn't hear about your accident until Book Club last night. I'm so glad you weren't hurt seriously, but sure you must have been sore for a few days.

I drive a Ford Escape. I love it - just wish I could afford a Hybrid. I test drove a Jeep, but just couldn't reach the gas peddle (darn short legs). My Escape has been the perfect cache mobile. And I have appreciated Ford's reputation and business approach during the last few years.

My only problem with it - is I can never keep it clean. It's all those dirt & gravel roads I find myself on. In traffic you sit a little higher than cars, so it's good for visability. Yet, not too bad for parking.

Best of luck no matter what you get.

I haven't yet made up my mind but I gotta give you the honest update:

I think I am leaning towards the Mini. Really. Surprising, I know.

Wes, I think you just hit the nail on the head here: we have been talking about someday looking for a late 70s CJ-5 in good condition. I've always loved the shortie. :)

Want to protect our Miss Jenn so my suggestion would be a Scorpion and it goes most anywhere.

scorpion-ie.jpg

Not to mention that when you find a really lame cache you can easily turn it into a NA.

Na, an Abrams! Better protected, and you can deal with those pesky T72's without a problem!

Edited by Dgwphotos

The Jeep is high to manage the potholes and ruts commonly seen on our forest service roads. To try to treat it and turn it like a sports car (certain turns) is ridiculous. Its the same old argument that went into how unsafe the Samurai was by proving it couldn't handle sports car like turns just to prove a point. It wasnt unsafe until it was handled like a low ground clearance sports car instead of a mini SUV.

Simply, you must drive the conditions you're faced with, but you must also drive the vehicle the way it was designed. Depending on where you intend to drive, plan your purchase accordingly.

I agree with everything you said, especially the last paragraph. I was trying to point out that she picked the two extremes of center of gravity. The "certain turn" is the "S" turn seen on the 60 Minutes show on Jeeps, not a sports car turn. You do a wide turn one way followed by a sharper turn the other way. Every Jeep owner should know about the show or at least about the S turn. I have logged a lot of Jeep time in the north woods of Minnesota.

Why not a Honda CR-V? It's more compact then the Wrangler, yet roomier, way better driving, and ranks number one by several consumer agencies (Toyata RAV4 is almost as good, with slightly better gas mileage) The Wranglers are fun, but ranks much lower on reliability, resale, and fuel economy

If you REALLY want a Great caching Vehicle, go with a PRIUS! Amazing Vehicle with the BEST Gas Milage for for ANY Practical car. Each Prii includes a 8' BED for those times you need to sleep for a few hours between caching runs, and the Ground Clearance is acceptable for 80-90% of 4x4 trails in the PNW! There are a few that you may doubt, but with good driving, you CAN go up a 65 Degree rockface to get on the TOP of another Mountain.

The Steaks

So, in my personal struggle of whether to get a Jeep Wrangler or Mini Cooper, I ultimately decided on the Mini. They're so dang little and cute - I just could not resist.

Thanks so much for all the fun comments in here! I knew I could count on you.

I realize that these are two very different vehicles. They do have one very big thing in common: they each pull at my heartstrings. For me, these particular vehicles are not just modes of transportation. They've got a history behind them that intrigues me, a dedicated community (and we geocachers know about that) and they've got a certain flair that you can't deny.

I'm now looking into personalized plates. Thinking of using the tracking code from my "trackable name badge" as the license plate #, maybe ... I think someone makes license plate frames that would make sense for this ...

Wes, This is going to be for when we can get another vehicle!