Premium Member Only Caches

I'm not sure exactly what I think is right, but here is my stance:

Groundspeak designed the Premium Member only cache option for likely two reasons

A) To prevent cheap cache burglars from accessing certain caches &

:lol: To add another function to the Premium Membership.

I don't personally have a problem with PMO caches, even when I was a regular member because I understand their purpose. Now obviously, I am a little dissapointed to go find a PMO cache to discover it is a keyholder under a bench; why not allow new cachers just looking for a simple quick find to grab it for free?

The flip side of this function is that COs who are concerned about the safety of their cache be it because it is a trackable hotel or cool container, can keep it protected and hidden from potential "Evil" cachers. There are very few of them out there, but there are also very few targets. No person who is low enough to steal a cache or part of it is willing to buy a Premium Membership, and the PMO function is able to weed out these people from great caches, even if it weeds out some regular cachers as well.

i'm not any less honest or diligent because i'm a "regular cacher." i don't understand your logic. i don't have a lot of money...so i'm more likely to "muggle" a cache. That's not true. The swag isn't good enough to steal! Haha. :anibad:

Sorry, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is that NOT all regular members are cache stealers, I'm saying all cache stealers are regular members. People who steal caches don't have the will to go get a Premium Membership, it defeats the purpose of stealing the caches or cache items (geocoins).

As far as the regular cacher thing goes, I'm comparing burglars or "evil cachers" to everyone else or "regular cachers"

Hope that clarifies

I'm not sure exactly what I think is right, but here is my stance:

Groundspeak designed the Premium Member only cache option for likely two reasons

A) To prevent cheap cache burglars from accessing certain caches &

:lol: To add another function to the Premium Membership.

I don't personally have a problem with PMO caches, even when I was a regular member because I understand their purpose. Now obviously, I am a little dissapointed to go find a PMO cache to discover it is a keyholder under a bench; why not allow new cachers just looking for a simple quick find to grab it for free?

The flip side of this function is that COs who are concerned about the safety of their cache be it because it is a trackable hotel or cool container, can keep it protected and hidden from potential "Evil" cachers. There are very few of them out there, but there are also very few targets. No person who is low enough to steal a cache or part of it is willing to buy a Premium Membership, and the PMO function is able to weed out these people from great caches, even if it weeds out some regular cachers as well.

i'm not any less honest or diligent because i'm a "regular cacher." i don't understand your logic. i don't have a lot of money...so i'm more likely to "muggle" a cache. That's not true. The swag isn't good enough to steal! Haha. :anibad:

Sorry, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is that NOT all regular members are cache stealers, I'm saying all cache stealers are regular members. People who steal caches don't have the will to go get a Premium Membership, it defeats the purpose of stealing the caches or cache items (geocoins).

As far as the regular cacher thing goes, I'm comparing burglars or "evil cachers" to everyone else or "regular cachers"

Hope that clarifies

Too far the other way. A truly dedicated cache maggot won't twig at the thought of investing $30 to advance their antisocial agenda.

Too far the other way. A truly dedicated cache maggot won't twig at the thought of investing $30 to advance their antisocial agenda.

Yea that's the right wording there. Defeats the purpose -> Too far the other way. That's what I should have used.

Basically the equivalent of buying an iPhone and throwing it out the window.

i do see your point about paying members not stealing or committing vandalism because they have put money towards the game. But do regular members do that? i would think non geocachers (mainly kids and immature adults) are the culprits. Seems like a lot of trouble to be a cacher, go online to download caches into a GPSr just to muggle! But i'm new, i don't know what goes on yet.

Also, remember that Groundspeak does not hide caches.

Groundspeak made the Premium Member Only cache designation available as a perk for cache OWNERS. Not necessarily for cache SEEKERS.

Cache owners choose (for a wide variety of reasons) to place caches with PMO designation.

I would dare say that elitism and segregation are not the motivation for cache owners to place PMO caches.

And there is nothing in the PMO designation that suggests or implies that PMO caches are "better" than non-PMO caches. It's just an additional tool/perk for the cache owner.

Of the 19 caches I’ve placed, 4 are PMO. These are caches where I collaborated with another cacher and invested several months and considerable expense. One of the caches took over a year to develop. Another cost me over $150 in materials. We wanted them to be something special and reward those who are serious about the hobby. By making them PMO, we are able to see who is viewing the cache pages. It also tends to reduce the likelihood of theft/damage. I don’t know that I’d put as much effort into the cache, if I couldn’t have that small level of additonal protection.

It’s not about being exclusionary. It’s more about protecting the investment. If a non-PM approached me about finding and logging any of these caches, I’d be more than happy to temporarily remove the PMO flag to accommodate them.

i do see your point about paying members not stealing or committing vandalism because they have put money towards the game. But do regular members do that? i would think non geocachers (mainly kids and immature adults) are the culprits. Seems like a lot of trouble to be a cacher, go online to download caches into a GPSr just to muggle! But i'm new, i don't know what goes on yet.

There are those that sign up for reasons of less than honest intent. Some folks are just bad people. They enjoy wrecking the fun others are having for no other reason than it makes them feel powerful. And there are some who do it out of the belief that our little hobby is the worst thing for the environment since BP was incorporated.

BTW You do need a membership of some sort to get coordinates. Thats what I mean. Most cache pirates, mugglers, whatever, don't log; but they still need an account.

What SWiggles said is the exact type of cache I would deem perfect for the PMO function.

:anibad: I'm slightly confused about elitism and segregation. Did that come from my comments or someone elses?

[Edit: Now that I read all of SWiggles comment :lol:, I see that I agree about the last part as well. My reasoning is that it helps to protect value of time or money. If I were to go place a PMO cache right now, it wouldn't be because of any other reason.]

Edited by unclefunky

I talked to someone the other day about geocaching, and he asked if anyone ever steals them. I said yes, and he said "the seems more fun than anything". Great example of someone who will probably ruin everyones fun. He can't touch premium hides though...

Edited by luketrocity

I'm a premium member but don't use many of the facilities, but I'm happy to contribute a little to our sport. I personally don't like the idea of PMO caches. Caching should be for everyone and you shouldn't have to pay just to find a specific cache.

Thankfully PMO caches are few and far between, of all the caches I've looked at on the site I've only found one.

not that i understand why anyone would want their cache listings to be private, but they can do it via PMO if they want to.

There is a straightforward reason in many cases: The cache involves some aspect that is not legal. In come countries the review process is stricter than in others.

My objection against many caches that are SO (subscriber only) is not that cachers who are not PMs cannot view the cache description, but indeed that people who are not cachers cannot have a look and check whether a cache e.g. on their property is harmless.

The fact that many cachers use SO-caches to hide them from non-cachers, is in my opinion the most important argument against such caches, at least for caches which have not undergone a strict review process and do have all required permissions and do not involve anything illegal.

Cezanne

Premium Member Only Caches, For or against?

I would say I'm fairly neutral on PMO caches. I rarely even notice if a cache I hunted is PMO or regular. It's just not something I pay attention to. I think there are some benefits to creating the occasional PMO cache, as I'm sure others have already mentioned. As for the notion that caching should be free to everybody, I can't support that. If a cacher owns a cache, and they choose to make it a PMO, I feel that is their right to do so.

If a cacher owns a cache, and they choose to make it a PMO, I feel that is their right to do so.

If the cache is located on public property or on private property with permission of the owner of the property, I agree. If not (the typical case in most countries I have cached), I do not agree.

i like PMO caches... there has to be something for the phone app people to steal. :wacko:

Great. They're all ruining Geocaching with their one word or one acryonym found logs, and now they get free access to MOC's? :signalviolin: That was a joke, by the way. Yes, it's become known that smartphone apps can see and log MOC's. I don't have one, but I noticed like a year ago that any cell phone can receive MOC information via a text message inquiry, even a cell number not tied to a Geocaching.com account via the SMS textmarks system.

Bottom line? MOC technology has not caught up to cell phone technology. :(

Great. They're all ruining Geocaching with their one word or one acryonym found logs, and now they get free access to MOC's? :signalviolin: That was a joke, by the way. Yes, it's become known that smartphone apps can see and log MOC's. I don't have one, but I noticed like a year ago that any cell phone can receive MOC information via a text message inquiry, even a cell number not tied to a Geocaching.com account via the SMS textmarks system.

Bottom line? MOC technology has not caught up to cell phone technology. :wacko:

i rather pay $30/year to be PM instead of an arm and a leg on a smart phone

I pay for both because I'm LOOSE AND RECKLESS with my money.

I guess the real issue with the smartphone loophole is a different one. Some owners of SO-caches argue that the audit file allows them to identify potential culprits in case of a cache that disappeared by checking you has looked at the cache description, but never visited the cache. Since it is possible to circumvent the audit file, it is, however, quite likely that innocent cachers might become suspects.

The existence of audit files which can only be circumvented by those who have access to certain technology which not everyone owns, is by the way another argument contra SO-caches which has not yet been mentioned in this thread. I often view the descriptions of caches far from my caching areas. I am not willing to defend myself for doing so and do not like if others know that I had a look at the cache description. The nice thing about caches that are not SO is that there existe no audit file.

Cezanne

If the cache is located on public property or on private property with permission of the owner of the property, I agree. If not, I do not agree.

What does that leave? Caches on private property, without permission? :signalviolin:

Heck, I don't think those should exist at all, PMO or otherwise. :wacko:

Back on topic: I owned a PMO cache at one time. It was a puzzle that required one heck of a lot of maintenance, and my hope was that, by making it a PMO, that would reduce the volume of traffic to the cache. It did, but I eventually came up with a way to present the data that did not require gobs of maintenance, and removed the PMO status. Had I not failed utterly in the initial design phase, it would not have been created as a PMO, but at the time, I was glad to have that option. Would I do it again? Probably not.

I talked to someone the other day about geocaching, and he asked if anyone ever steals them. I said yes, and he said "the seems more fun than anything". Great example of someone who will probably ruin everyones fun. He can't touch premium hides though...

I tell people about geocaching quite frequently and have gotten that response a few times. It always stuns me when I find that someone's first thought is how to screw something up. What kind of person thinks like that? Once I get that from someone I quickly change the subject away from geocaching and then cut that person completely out of my life.

If the cache is located on public property or on private property with permission of the owner of the property, I agree. If not, I do not agree.

What does that leave? Caches on private property, without permission? :signalviolin:

Heck, I don't think those should exist at all, PMO or otherwise. :wacko:

I guess it depends on the country. In my country the majority of the forest area (including many mountains) is owned privately (some of the owners like the Catholic church and people with aristocratic background own huge areas). If only caches that have permission were published, the vast majority of caches would not exist. Moreover, there also does not exist any procedure for getting permission for a cache on state own land

(like in those parks in the US who allow geocaching). The cache locations can be very remote - I am not talking about caches in the garden of someone else.

I guess it would take the average cacher in my country many hours to even find out whether the ground where he is hiding a cache is owned by a private person and if yes by whom and to find out contact data.

Getting permission would take many additional hours if granted at all (even those property owners being very friendly and open towards geocaching, might well hesitate to grant permission and provide some official statement as they then might fear to get into troubles if someone e.g. has an accident near the cache site.)

Apart from what I wrote above, there are also many caches on areas which are accessible to the public, like e.g. shopping malls, but are placed at locations which no regular visitor of the mall will ever put his feet one (e.g. climbing caches up on large advertisement walls). Of course the owners of the mall never would grant permission for such caches. Still they are published. Many of them are SO-caches and in those cases I am clearly against this status.

I guess that attributing the SO-status to caches that are somehow at least in a gray area to hide them from the public is more common in countries like Germany and Austria than in the US.

Back on topic: I owned a PMO cache at one time. It was a puzzle that required one heck of a lot of maintenance, and my hope was that, by making it a PMO, that would reduce the volume of traffic to the cache. It did, but I eventually came up with a way to present the data that did not require gobs of maintenance, and removed the PMO status. Had I not failed utterly in the initial design phase, it would not have been created as a PMO, but at the time, I was glad to have that option.

As I mentioned as long the cache is located on public ground or has permission, I have no serious objection against SO-caches. I do feel, however, that they should do away with the audit file. (BTW: If all PMs are to be trusted, for what purpose do people want to have audit files? This question is not directed to you as you did not bring up the issue of stolen caches.)

Cezanne

I tell people about geocaching quite frequently and have gotten that response a few times. It always stuns me when I find that someone's first thought is how to screw something up. What kind of person thinks like that? Once I get that from someone I quickly change the subject away from geocaching and then cut that person completely out of my life.

Wow! You guys know some really strange people. :signalviolin::(:wacko:

I find it rather fascinating that otherwise intelligent individuals are naive enough to think that PMO offers some layer of protection.

1. I get an audit log. This give little or no indication of who took it. Also, many if not most people who view the cache will never appear in the audit log.

2. Premium Members have an investment. This is where the elitism attitude is perceived. In almost every category where there is some sort of metric, there are examples where a "member" may be better or have more experience. Not to mention there are some who use a PMO account for there team and a "regular" account for their personal logging.

3. PMO caches do not get muggled as often. This simply is not true. There have been an equal number of cache stories where the cacher has been either identified or there were strong suspicions in my part of the country where the cacher was a PM. It seems that way in at least most metro areas. Of course the suspicions are based on either a argument or the audit logs.

4. PM are less likely to muggle a cache. Nope. Personal grudges or some other justifications in ones mind cause caches to go missing. There are a couple of cachers near me that mess with caches when they have an axe to grind. They're PM and, since there is not a whole lot that can be done, we all just learned to quietly live with it.

5. PMO have less traffic. This is the only accurate statement made. You want to significantly cut traffic, make it PMO.

6. It is a perk for paying/Helps give incentive to join. Many if not most PMO are very pedestrian at best. The majority of people join to support the site or gain "perks" like PQs.

Sorry, other than #5, there has never been a compelling argument for PMO and the audit log is a definite argument against. I am not even sure why you hide the cache if #5 is the reason for making it PMO.

I definitely agree that caches are less likely to be muggled when they are PMO. BUT I am biased as I am a PM.

The way I look at it, the fee is minimal compared to the price of a GPS!! My current caches were put out with a few cool things in them (nothing too fancy) and when I went to check on them there was just junk in them.

Also from a trackable enthusiast point of view, I think PMO caches keep them going longer. My next ones will def be PMO ones as I think this will maintain the quality of them. I just think that caches who pay the fee, generally cache more regularly (enabling trackables to move further and faster) and are more considerate with swapping and re-hiding the cache.

*This does not mean that I think that all people who don't pay are careless, many are just as thoughtful, I just think that in general, caches available to everyone go downhill quicker*

3. PMO caches do not get muggled as often. This simply is not true. There have been an equal number of cache stories where the cacher has been either identified or there were strong suspicions in my part of the country where the cacher was a PM. It seems that way in at least most metro areas. Of course the suspicions are based on either a argument or the audit logs.

Hang on. You're saying that the 'pirate' community consists equally of private- and ordinary- member offenders? Well then, all other things being equal I would expect a PMO cache to be half as likely to be disrupted as an ordinary cache, as only half of 'pirates' can see it.

Hang on. You're saying that the 'pirate' community consists equally of private- and ordinary- member offenders? Well then, all other things being equal I would expect a PMO cache to be half as likely to be disrupted as an ordinary cache, as only half of 'pirates' can see it.

New math?

What is said/implied/etc from the quoted statement is that it is just as likely to be muggled. What I did not say is that from what little personal experience we have in THIS area, it is more likely the cache is muggled by a PM.

Sorry, a mere $30 is not a effective barrier against stupidity.

What is said/implied/etc from the quoted statement is that it is just as likely to be muggled.

Claimed in your opening sentences, yes. But proved? - no - or at least not that I could tell from your hard-to-parse

There have been an equal number of cache stories where the cacher has been either identified or there were strong suspicions in my part of the country where the cacher was a PM.

The only reason I like to release my caches as "premium member only" caches is so for the first week or so I can watch the "Read the audit log" on the cache page. It allows you to see who has viewed your cache page. I don't know, I guess I 'm a dork like that. After a while I switch it back so anybody can find it.

I like the idea of them. If someone wants to make a special cache for a set of people that they know will appreciate it (or if the target is less of a casual audience), than why not give them that option?

A premium membership is really not much at all considering all the money you spend on gas to drive around to a lot of these caches. I feel like anyone that plans on logging more than 100 caches, would benefit from a PM.

Both Premium Caches I have done so far were good. One of them was a PnG and still more fun than a regular PnG. The other used a really creative container that I enjoyed finding.

Another thing I noticed while searching out the closest 2-4 caches of each difficulty/terrain combo, is that in a some cases there is a premium cache maybe 50 miles closer than a non premium cache of that D/T type.

The way I look at it, anyone without a premium membership won't really know or care what they are missing. If they do care, honestly they just need to realize that a premium for 3 months is 10 bucks. I'm sure they could knock out all the premium caches in their area that they really HAD to do in that time (if money is an issue for them).

Geocaching is cheaper than most hobbies. I mean juggling is really cheap once you have all the props you want, but my other main hobby (fire spinning) - costs me about 8-10 bucks just for a gallon of fuel to burn with. That doesn't even count the gas to drive 45 minutes to the closest beach.

The way I see it, why would you be against Premium Only caches? It is just one more tool available to the cache creator to use. If they want to only make their cache available to a more dedicated and

"I have no serious objection against SO-caches. I do feel, however, that they should do away with the audit file. (BTW: If all PMs are to be trusted, for what purpose do people want to have audit files? )"

As Cezanne mentions, this is the only problem I have with PMO caches.

I don't PQ. I'd rather look at a cache page and decide if I'd like to go.

I may look at a tougher (terrain) hide five or more times before deciding to go for it. That audit file would show that I looked at someone's page numerous times without going for it (yet), actions that a few have said they look for. Heaven forbid the cache comes up missing during my searches.

I've also been e-mailed by COs many times, asking when I'm "finally going for it." This not only borders harassment, but it's also kinda creepy. Curious is one thing, anal-retentive micro managing is another.

I no longer look at PMO hides due to that invasive file, yet my other half can do 'em without the hassles of an audit on her cell phone.

The powers that be should either upgrade the audit to include smartphones, making things equal, or finally can this annoying feature from all.

Another thread was started a while back on why can't I see who's "watching" my cache page.

Supposedly it's a privacy issue thing to be able to see who's watching on your cache pages.

Why isn't it the same for one just quickly looking at it ?

it,d be interesting to have a super duper wazoo membership for about 600.00 a month and put them primo members in thier place..no junkie ammo cans alowed only solid brass and no swag under ten bucks and all cache placements have to be within 2 miles of a realy nice brew pub .

it,d be interesting to have a super duper wazoo membership for about 600.00 a month and put them primo members in thier place..no junkie ammo cans alowed only solid brass and no swag under ten bucks and all cache placements have to be within 2 miles of a realy nice brew pub .

No, actually the caches are always either at the bar or if you are at a table just ask the waitress and she brings it.

Another thread was started a while back on why can't I see who's "watching" my cache page.

Supposedly it's a privacy issue thing to be able to see who's watching on your cache pages.

Why isn't it the same for one just quickly looking at it ?

Does anyone have an animated graphic of a Frog covering it's ears and saying "na na na na na na na" over and over?

Geocaching is cheaper than most hobbies. I mean juggling is really cheap once you have all the props you want, but my other main hobby (fire spinning) - costs me about 8-10 bucks just for a gallon of fuel to burn with. That doesn't even count the gas to drive 45 minutes to the closest beach.

Wow, I guess we geocachers really are a diverse bunch. :laughing:

Wow, I guess we geocachers really are a diverse bunch. :laughing:

Well, you know. We have fire spinners who have to drive 45 minutes to the closest beach. And Dumpster Divers who threaten Geocide. I think that pretty much covers it.

I am a Premium Member, and I do enjoy SOME of its perks. However, I am agianst PMO caches, because I think that our great game should be for everyone. I looked at topics similar to this on the new Groundspeak Feedback forums, but it seemed as though everyone on that particular post was hot-headed over the issues.

I want this forum topic to be the opposite. I want to learn of others opinions on this issue. I think this topic is a place for members and premium members alike to share their opinions, and debate in a rational manner.

Here is my opinion. I have 6 caches. 5 are PMO. One is on my property so I don't want alot of traffic around my house. Next is I put some effort in making and designing my caches so I hope Premium Members are a little more serious about taking care of my caches than the general public. I try and make them people proof but alot of people don't put things back the way they found them. If I just take a pill box and throw under a pile of rocks I wouldn't care. But my stuff is a little more unique than that.

I am a Premium Member, and I do enjoy SOME of its perks. However, I am agianst PMO caches, because I think that our great game should be for everyone. I looked at topics similar to this on the new Groundspeak Feedback forums, but it seemed as though everyone on that particular post was hot-headed over the issues.

I want this forum topic to be the opposite. I want to learn of others opinions on this issue. I think this topic is a place for members and premium members alike to share their opinions, and debate in a rational manner.

I am also agianst PMO caches because I think it should be for every one :grin::):P

Edited by Zander87

Okay, here is my two cents worth. I didn't become a Premium member to hide PMO caches. I did it to support a really neat and fun hobby! I think it is a really dumb cop-out to say you can't afford $30 a year to support this hobby. If you can buy Iphones, android phones, GPS receivers and the fuel to look for a geocache you can sure as h@## afford to help support the hobby. $30 dollars a year is like 8.21 cents a day! I spend more than that a month on beer, or sodas, or coffee!

My morning coffee at Starbucks is $5.29. I can totally afford PM. I became a PM to support the site. I never even used PQs because they were useless to me-->that is, until the recent upgrades. Now I'm starting to like them!

I've only hidden one cache and considered making it PMO, but it requires a small 3 mile hike and a park fee- so I felt like those two things were enough to stave off cache thiefs, muggles, etc...

However, I plan to hide another cache in town and have wondered about making that a PMO. After reading this thread I think I most definitely do it.