Can I go completely paperles with 60CSx ?

I just bought the Garmin 60CSx. It is excellent, but I want to go completely paperless. I am a premium member and can download caches to the unit, but I want the complete paperless experience. I want to see the finds, difficulties, hints, etc.

Can this be done with some type of software or should I take the unit back and get the 62st when it comes out?

Thanks for any input.

I just bought the Garmin 60CSx. It is excellent, but I want to go completely paperless. I am a premium member and can download caches to the unit, but I want the complete paperless experience. I want to see the finds, difficulties, hints, etc.

Can this be done with some type of software or should I take the unit back and get the 62st when it comes out?

Thanks for any input.

There is a GSAK macro that will allow you to go semi-paperless. The limitation is in the number of characters you have available. You can use a sort of shorthand code to get the info you need, but compared to any of the true paperless units it's no contest. If you can wait for the 62S or go for the Oregon 450 I think you'll be much happier.

Yes, using custom POI's and GSAK macros you can go almost full-function paperless, but not quite. You could dig around these and the GSAK.net forums to get more info on that. You could also look into getting a cheap PDA ($50 or less on eBay) and use GSAK with Cachemate to load the cache info on the PDA. I've been using that method for quite some time and it works well, although I would rather not carry around 3 pieces of gear (GPS, PDA, camera) all the time. When my current PDA dies, I'll be looking at upgrading to the Oregon, 62csx or Maggie eX GC. That'll be a tough call!

With the GarminCsvPoiexport macro for GSAK, you can get pretty much everything except the text of logs. For a typical cache you get two POIs; the first containing something like:

NameOfCache Tr/Sm 1.5/2

FFFF Pl:02-Aug-08 Lf: 26-May-10 HiderName

The second (and third etc. if needed) contains the hint.

Tr/Sm means traditional/small. 1.5/2 is of course difficulty/terrain. FFFF is the status of the last 4 logs; in this case, all finds. Pl and Lf are dates placed and last found.

I do have a PDA for carrying around the text of logs, but I find I hardly carry it anymore.

I have a 60CSX and as everyone here states, you can make it "almost" paperless but its a hybrid morphing of that process. If you truly want a paperless GPS that can store field notes, very nice feature, and have all the information in the cache page as if you were looking at it with all the correct icons, you will need to return your 60 and get the 62 model.

I would return mine if I were you. I have a Delorme PN-40 that is a truly paperless GPS and I like all the features it has for this and it looks great. If I had known that Garmin was going to release the 62 series GPSr's, I would of held of buying the PN-40 last November and waited. I am considering selling the PN-40 to buy a 62.

The 62s might be a good middle ground: Yes, the " S " unit.

If you do not need topo information why buy it. I have personal experience with topo units of the Colorado and Oregon series which dumped the topo information.

At those times there were no field fixes. ( there may be now ) Fortunately for me I had purchased through REI and it was just a simple across the counter exchange, otherwise the units would have had to go back to " Garminville ".

The 62s with it's expansion capabilities through micro SD cards will give you some flexibility.

The 62 has no expansion slot and you will not have the flexibility.

Edited by humboldt flier