Newbie tip/ Caching with kids

Ok, this thread is to aid newbies, especially those who hope to have fun geocaching with their kids...

So far, I have found that the most important part of geocaching is research... You need to check the cache description for hints, size of cache, and read the logs before you go....

When just starting caching as family sport it really helps to ....

1. start with REALLY easy caches, ones that have a very specific hint, and are NOT nano, micro or small caches.... Look for LARGE, or easy to find TB hotels. (cityish settings seem easier to us)

2. READ at least 5 of the logs, you want to hunt for something that is still there... if the last 2 people haven't found it, you probably won't either. Also, there can be tips on finding the cache in the logs.

3. NOT ALL CACHES HAVE SWAG! read the logs, and find one that has swag listed, and bring trades.

4. Prepare the kids for the possibility of not finding anything, and have more than one listing researched in the same city, so if you come up empty handed, you can try again.

5. Bring snacks & drinks, so noone gets super grumpy while searching.

6. Stroller, baby carrier, or baby wrap to keep the toddler form running away.... :-D

7. Have a bag with your gps, pens, swag that you keep all ready to go... It stinks to leave the gps at home.

OK, I had no idea what a lamppost cache was when I started... there are square boxes (bolt covers) at the bases of some lampposts, try lifting them up and looking underneath. (really common spot to hide)

If anyone else has some newbie or kid fun tips, I'm sure that we would all love them!

Add:

Know your kids' limits in endurance, attention, bathroom breaks (especially in urban settings where convenient bushes and public restrooms may be few and far between), etc.

Ask the kids if they're thirsty/hungry/tired/need to go to the bathroom on a regular basis. (They may not say anything until they're in a crisis state.)

Bring stuff for the kids to do when driving between caches or caching areas.

yup! and also don't forget the baby wipes, etc.... ( I keep a spare pack & a dipe in the car for bb)

OH! Also for us:

8. ALLERGY MEDS-- take them before leaving and bring more for when the first dose wears off.... (it's hard to find the cache with itchy eyes)

Be prepared to give up after a couple DNF (possibly even 1). My 4 year old loves "Treasure Hunting", even having to drive from one spot to another, but once we can't find one, it's all over, no more treasure hunting.

I actually made a small (pill bottle sized) cache that I keep with us, and if we really strike out, I'll drop it for him to find. A little white lie but it keeps him interested.

Another from my family that's kept them going...

When the kids are feeling done, don't push for 1 or 2 more! It just sours them for future times, and eventually they won't want to go.

And ice creams are always a good way to end a few hours of geocaching on a weekend! :anibad:

Teaching them to have some expectation of cool swag to trade will ruin the kids experience.

Teach them instead to enjoy the outing itself, to discover and talk and run and play and hunt for something hidden.

Teach them to keep a swag item they value with them so just in case they do come across something they want they can trade even or better.

Teach them that the caching experience, the sharing and bonding and exploring is the point and they won't care what kind of caches y'all find.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

My kids are 10 and 12, and the embarrassment factor involved in seeing mom go round and round GZ looking under here and behind there in full sight of muggles is enough to make my kids say "AAUUGGH." I make very sure the caches we hunt together are nice and secluded.

My best geocaching trips with my kids have been on caches that I've already found. I make a mental note when I find a cache by myself that I think the kids would enjoy (amazing views, amazing camo, fun gimmick-like cache, tree-climbing required, swimming required, etc.) and I bring them back.

My favorite cache hunt of all so far was when I brought my kids and one of their friends to a cache I'd found the year before that involved a long uphill hike to a small grassy tuft on top of a cliff with absolutely stunning views of the ocean crashing below. I was nervous about the sheer drop-off on that cliff, and fussed about making them sit, etc., but they were just as impressed as I had been. On the way back down they noticed the lighthouse gift shop (about halfway up the hill) was open. It had been closed when I had been there in the off-season previously. I got them some snacks and trinkets and had to laugh at that one. What are the odds? A gift shop halfway up a hill to a cache in the middle of nowhere (sort of)?

I keep a small box of swag in the trunk of my car so that should the kids come with me, I have trading stock ready to go.

As a responsible parent, always inspect the items in a cache before you let your kids rummage through them.

I always take time to show my kids the unique flora & fauna when we hike for geocaches. As a parent of a home schooled child, science lessons outdoors, are always fun.

We just started geocaching but my kids 4 and 2 brought along binoculars and a magnifying glass to check out all the plants and insects along the way.

I brought a treat to share on the walk back to our van, they were tired but it perked them up and kept them from getting grumpy.

1. I recommend letting them bring a digital camera and take pictures of what ever they wish

2. Let them use the GPS and have control of the hunt

3. Let them pick a nice stick to turn into a walking stick (it is amamzing what a simple piece of wood will do) on the longer hikes and also good for probing well hidden caches checking for critters

4. We have H2O packs for each kid and they generaly pack a nice snack/meal in it and make a picnic of it. It is cheaper to make a picnic of PB & J than pizza or fast food on the way home

5. Look for caches on bicylce paths and make a bike ride out of it. This way the kids can actually cover some ground and finding the cache makes for a good resting spot

6. Have walkie talkies so if we split up (with a parent) they can chat with each other

Edited by 2DirtyKids

When I get a chance to cache with my nephew and niece and we happen to dnf...i usually drop a line like 'well at least we got to hang out together' or ya know its a nice place....at least we got to come here and enjoy this together.' Then all is not dependant on the cache and we can really just appreciate our time and the journey. I feel like that is one of the most important parts of caching anyway. And it sort of teaches them to be good sports.

My kids are 10 and 12, and the embarrassment factor involved in seeing mom go round and round GZ looking under here and behind there in full sight of muggles is enough to make my kids say "AAUUGGH." I make very sure the caches we hunt together are nice and secluded.

My best geocaching trips with my kids have been on caches that I've already found. I make a mental note when I find a cache by myself that I think the kids would enjoy (amazing views, amazing camo, fun gimmick-like cache, tree-climbing required, swimming required, etc.) and I bring them back.

My favorite cache hunt of all so far was when I brought my kids and one of their friends to a cache I'd found the year before that involved a long uphill hike to a small grassy tuft on top of a cliff with absolutely stunning views of the ocean crashing below. I was nervous about the sheer drop-off on that cliff, and fussed about making them sit, etc., but they were just as impressed as I had been. On the way back down they noticed the lighthouse gift shop (about halfway up the hill) was open. It had been closed when I had been there in the off-season previously. I got them some snacks and trinkets and had to laugh at that one. What are the odds? A gift shop halfway up a hill to a cache in the middle of nowhere (sort of)?

I keep a small box of swag in the trunk of my car so that should the kids come with me, I have trading stock ready to go.

yeah, redoing a cache that you really liked is great because you know what fun it was for you...its double sometimes for the kids. you can judge better than going out and finding an easy nano with nothing in it.

Be prepared to give up after a couple DNF (possibly even 1). My 4 year old loves "Treasure Hunting", even having to drive from one spot to another, but once we can't find one, it's all over, no more treasure hunting.

I actually made a small (pill bottle sized) cache that I keep with us, and if we really strike out, I'll drop it for him to find. A little white lie but it keeps him interested.

I'm glad that it's not just my 4 year old that calls it that! We always have a bag that has spare clothes, biscuits, water bottles, dried fruit in our GPS bag, along with our swag of swaps.

When my son goes with me, I let him find the cache. Even if I spot it right away, or think I know the spot where the cache is hidden, I let him look around and find it. If it is taking too long, I sometimes will look at my GPS and read the "hint", even if the cache owner doesn't list a hint. "Hmmm, it says it's "Under the fallen tree" or something along those lines. He loves when he has more finds than me on an outing.

Also, he has been with me when I hid 3 of my 4 caches. He really enjoyed hiding them too! One is in a high muggle area, and he was my lookout. He let me know everytime someone was looking in our direction. He said it was kinda like being spies, lol.

On another hide, we packed a lunch and took my ATV on a nice long ride to the area where I wanted to hide it. We walked around in the woods until he picked out the hiding place with a really nice view. He loves knowing when people visit the cache and what they say about it.

When we are in the dollar store, if something catches his eye that would be "perfect" to put in one of our caches as swag, we get it. He loves it.

Don't forget to bring your patience, especially if the kids are little ones! Our 7 and 2 year old love geocaching, but getting the 2 year old down the trail is VERY slow going... every rock, stick, and leaf is a treasure. And ants are especially fascinating, we have to stop and watch them frequently. But by letting her walk and get HERSELF down the trail, however slowly, we are teaching her the joy of hiking outdoors. Our 7 year old was the same way at that age, and now she bounds down the trail with enthusiasm.

Don't forget to bring your patience, especially if the kids are little ones! Our 7 and 2 year old love geocaching, but getting the 2 year old down the trail is VERY slow going... every rock, stick, and leaf is a treasure. And ants are especially fascinating, we have to stop and watch them frequently. But by letting her walk and get HERSELF down the trail, however slowly, we are teaching her the joy of hiking outdoors. Our 7 year old was the same way at that age, and now she bounds down the trail with enthusiasm.

You sound like great parents!!!

I've always taught that it is best to get promptly to the FAR point of the trip... then you have all remaining time to work back to the start / car... actually a good thing for everyone to remember. Has the benefit of getting there while everyone is fresh and UP for the task. It does not exclude discovering things for further examination on the return (planning) or even for Target of Opportunity moments if needed... promptly is not ASAP after all. The out trip is also a good time to introduce basic navigation skills.

Doug 7rxc