Cache owners - a call to monitor your cache's lack of SWAG?

I'm really sort of on the fence on this one. I own the oldest cache in Alabama, it always gets good logs, but lately I've gotten a couple of logs stating that the swag was depleted. At one time I would have rushed right out to restock it; now I'm thinking that maintaining a cache does not include having to keep it stocked since 'trade even or trade up' appears to be falling out of the vocabulary of most cachers.

Dude, I would have totally filled that sucker up to the brim this last Sunday but I hadn't planned on visiting and I had just emptied my swag bag in another cache (that I did take something from) on that same day. I felt bad. I really wished I had some stuff to drop off in, what is now, the oldest cache listing that I've logged a "found it" on.

If I'm anywhere near the area again, I will be making a special trip to top that golden can off.

It's better to own a couple of caches that you keep stocked then 50 caches you resent having to re-stock.
IMHO, it's better to own 50 caches that always have dry logs with space for signatures, than 49 caches that have dry logs with space for signatures and a regular supply of owner-stocked trade items.

Seriously? I can't see how a well-stocked cache with a dry logbook is less desireable then a cache with only a dry logbook. Even if you don't trade swag it's nice to paw through the stuff.

if you cannot maintain the caches, then how could you be "serious about placing caches". Only place what you can handle and manage. Or place all micros, tehn archive when the log gets full...wait, that never happens. My bad. :laughing:

Very true. You should not place more caches than you can maintain.

maintain{
 if (container =="missing")
replace container;
 else if (container == "wet" || "full of garbage")
clean out container;
 else if (log book == "damaged" || "missing" || "full")
replace logbook;
}

santa{
 if (swag == "low")
restock;
}

I'm really sort of on the fence on this one. I own the oldest cache in Alabama, it always gets good logs, but lately I've gotten a couple of logs stating that the swag was depleted. At one time I would have rushed right out to restock it; now I'm thinking that maintaining a cache does not include having to keep it stocked since 'trade even or trade up' appears to be falling out of the vocabulary of most cachers.

Dude, I would have totally filled that sucker up to the brim this last Sunday but I hadn't planned on visiting and I had just emptied my swag bag in another cache (that I did take something from) on that same day. I felt bad. I really wished I had some stuff to drop off in, what is now, the oldest cache listing that I've logged a "found it" on.

If I'm anywhere near the area again, I will be making a special trip to top that golden can off.

Thanks! I saw your log and knew that if you could have you would have! You have a great reputation amongst Alabama cachers and I appreciate people like you.

By the way, that can is golden because it's the can y'all (the AGA) gave me for my 2K milestone!

Having written the above post gave me reason to work through the issue in my mind and along with this thread provided me the decision that I have been struggling with - I really do mean 'Hide what you like to find' so I am going to resume restocking caches with creative (decent though not expensive) trade items just because I feel good about doing it.

I will restock Irondale Pit Stop (on my front porch) which is both a TB Hotel and trade item cache today and Trussville Civitan on payday.

Have fun out there! :laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
It's better to own a couple of caches that you keep stocked then 50 caches you resent having to re-stock.
IMHO, it's better to own 50 caches that always have dry logs with space for signatures, than 49 caches that have dry logs with space for signatures and a regular supply of owner-stocked trade items.
Seriously? I can't see how a well-stocked cache with a dry logbook is less desireable then a cache with only a dry logbook. Even if you don't trade swag it's nice to paw through the stuff.
Yes, seriously. I'm not saying that a well-stocked cache is less desirable than a log-only cache. I'm saying that 50 well-maintained caches are better than 49 well-maintained caches, and that restocking caches with trade items isn't necessary for a cache to be well-maintained.

Spoken like someone who ones only two caches. Get serious about placing caches then wait a year or two, then tell us how you feel.

I disagree. Plant only as many as you can handle. It's better to own a couple of caches that you keep stocked then 50 caches you resent having to re-stock.

if you cannot maintain the caches, then how could you be "serious about placing caches". Only place what you can handle and manage. Or place all micros, tehn archive when the log gets full...wait, that never happens. My bad. :)

Let's take your premise a little further. Let's say the areas where I have placed my caches have become littered with trash after I placed my caches. Am I responsible to clean up the litter to ensure that future visitors have the optimal experience, or is it more appropriate that you issue a challenge to cache finders that they stop littering.

What we have here is a problem with finders not owners, finders who don't trade equal and who, in general, don't even treat the caches with care ... as in seal all bags carefully, place contents neatly, put cache back in spot exactly as it was hidden, etc.

So the owner puts out as nice cache, the finders ruin the cache, and you post a note challenging owners to do better. Seems like you have this one backwards.

BTW - my reference to your lack of cache placements was not meant to insult, just to point out you would have a different perspective if you owned mores caches and had suffered the frustration that comes with working extra to fix the messes caused by others.

99% of my logs all say the same thing...

TNLN

(the other 1% are where I'm taking or leaving a TB)

I really don't care about the SWAG. At all. It's just junk clogging up my house and my caching bag.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 high and 1 low, one man's rating of log quality.

Nice cache thanks = 10

Found it but did not like the area or the cache very much = 5

Hated this cache. A curse on the owner and his family = 1

TNLN = minus 100!

Say something, say anything, give it some effort please!

if you cannot maintain the caches, then how could you be "serious about placing caches". Only place what you can handle and manage. Or place all micros, tehn archive when the log gets full...wait, that never happens. My bad. :)

maintain{
replace container;
clean out container;
replace logbook;
}

santa{
 if (swag == "low")
restock;
}

You forgot to call the santa routine. Or, wait....

maintain{
replace container;
clean out container;
replace logbook;
}

santa{
 if (swag == "low")
restock;
}

You forgot to call the santa routine. Or, wait....

:)

If caches are running out of swag. I feel that the Cache Owners should be complaining. If they stock them well in the beginning, they should NEVER run out. Regardless, you cache for the hide, not the swag. I'd rather have a fun hunt than fun swag. Mcdonalds toys are for losers. Caching is for awesome people

Um, not really. If I put 40 Rolex watches in my cache and in a week it's full of golf balls and gravel it's not really my fault. Finders will take and leave as they will regardless of what's in there. Seeding a cache with really good swag by no means of the imagination guarantees that it will always be full.

Not everybody caches for the hide, some people do cache for the swag.

I'll say it again, the swag is important to some people or they wouldn't be taking it.

If caches are running out of swag. I feel that the Cache Owners should be complaining. If they stock them well in the beginning, they should NEVER run out. Regardless, you cache for the hide, not the swag. I'd rather have a fun hunt than fun swag. Mcdonalds toys are for losers. Caching is for awesome people

Um, not really. If I put 40 Rolex watches in my cache and in a week it's full of golf balls and gravel it's not really my fault. Finders will take and leave as they will regardless of what's in there. Seeding a cache with really good swag by no means of the imagination guarantees that it will always be full.

I think you misunderstood that post. I believe that what he meant to say was, "If they stock them well in the beginning, AND THE FINDERS TRADE EQUAL OR BETTER they should NEVER run out.". At least, that's the way I read it.

I think you misunderstood that post. I believe that what he meant to say was, "If they stock them well in the beginning, AND THE FINDERS TRADE EQUAL OR BETTER they should NEVER run out.". At least, that's the way I read it.

Well yeah if you add "AND THE FINDERS TRADE EQUAL OR BETTER" then it makes perfect sense. :)

Except that their post didn't have that at all.

Well yeah if you add "AND THE FINDERS TRADE EQUAL OR BETTER" then it makes perfect sense. :)

Except that their post didn't have that at all.

But I read it the same way the dog did.

(Or maybe he was reading it to me. hmmmm. I forget now.)

If swag was really important to people they would be trading even or up. Apparently the important part of swag for many is that you get free stuff at the expense of others. If that wasn't the case then there would be no issues with degradation of swag or lack of swag in a previous swag filled cache.

Again, how is it this suddenly the cache owners responsibility to make sure the greedy masses get their fill of free stuff?

Again, how is it this suddenly the cache owners responsibility to make sure the greedy masses get their fill of free stuff?

It's not. It's simply nice when the cache is well maintained, cleaned out of the junk and with a few items in the cache that are decent but not necessarily expensive, just so there's something to paw through and/or trade out as a souvenir.

It can be fun cheapie stuff. Personally I think it should be fun cheapie stuff - under $3 a piece. It doesn't make sense to me to put expensive stuff in a cache - you want good stuff, go shopping. Stuff in the cache is all part of the fun. But as a CO, if it's not fun and you don't want to re-stock then don't.

It's simply nice when the cache is well maintained, cleaned out of the junk and with a few items in the cache that are decent but not necessarily expensive, just so there's something to paw through and/or trade out as a souvenir.

It can be fun cheapie stuff. Personally I think it should be fun cheapie stuff - under $3 a piece. It doesn't make sense to me to put expensive stuff in a cache - you want good stuff, go shopping. Stuff in the cache is all part of the fun. But as a CO, if it's not fun and you don't want to re-stock then don't.

I agree with everything this guy said AND the way he said it.

+1

We are new to GC and learning all the rules. My 8 year old son actually likes the micros and nano's. If we come across one with trinkets we leave something of similar value. Sometime we don't take things, just sign the log. I make jewelry and figure that is worth a trade for a small sheet of stickers. So far our items we leave are probably worth more than what we take, but we don't care. We went into GC knowing it wasn't about the "stuff" but about the hunt and creativity.

I made several knotted keychains with fancy stones, plus all the beaded jewelry that can be worn by kids, adults, male and female. I like leaving cool stuff. It doesn't cost much to be creative.

So far, this little sport has brought our family together. Which is what it's about for us. We've enjoyed every cache, found and unfound, crappy trinkets and good trinkets!

We'll continue to read the forum and make sure we follow the etiquette. I am sure we'll goof up along the way at some point.

Recently a cache of mine was found by a relatively new cacher and he made mention of the soggy nature of the contents in a note (that I've deleted). I went and checked it out. When I opened the cache it wasn't "soggy" so much as slightly damp, but hey, the water could have been dumped out. There was a complaint about the lack of quality swag too but that was due to mostly standard degradation. Or not. Anyway, I replaced the container and put out a re-stocked ammo can and invited that cacher to visit again if he wanted to and told them that they did find the cache and that they could claim their "found it" log at any time they wanted- their original log had only been a note.

It's been visited twice since then, once by a third party and then by the person that didn't like what they found:

Found this one this evening with the girls after caching away the afternoon in Cullman. We took the cute pink tiger TB to help him on his trip, and the girls traded out a few items. Thanks so much for placing this cache. It was in great shape and well stocked. We left a little more than we took, since it was one of the best caches we've seen in a while. TFTF!

Wow thanks for the maintenance! This is now one of the best caches we have visited! Left a TB to hopefully get it more activity.

That wasn't so hard, now was it?

Recently a cache of mine was found by a relatively new cacher and he made mention of the soggy nature of the contents in a note (that I've deleted). I went and checked it out. When I opened the cache it wasn't "soggy" so much as slightly damp, but hey, the water could have been dumped out. There was a complaint about the lack of quality swag too but that was due to mostly standard degradation. Or not. Anyway, I replaced the container and put out a re-stocked ammo can and invited that cacher to visit again if he wanted to and told them that they did find the cache and that they could claim their "found it" log at any time they wanted- their original log had only been a note.

It's been visited twice since then, once by a third party and then by the person that didn't like what they found:

Found this one this evening with the girls after caching away the afternoon in Cullman. We took the cute pink tiger TB to help him on his trip, and the girls traded out a few items. Thanks so much for placing this cache. It was in great shape and well stocked. We left a little more than we took, since it was one of the best caches we've seen in a while. TFTF!

Wow thanks for the maintenance! This is now one of the best caches we have visited! Left a TB to hopefully get it more activity.

That wasn't so hard, now was it?

I just got a nice report today, so I'll piggyback it on to your post to show that swag matters:

n*****a found Dog Cache (Traditional Cache) at 8/4/2010

Log Date: 8/4/2010

My mom and I went to this one, it was her second cache and she was the one to find it! Wow what a beautiful area, thanks so much for helping us find it! This is a STELLAR cache with some really good trinkets for once. I took a manicure set and left a basketball keychain, my mum took some stickers and left a mini adress book and a rubber toy snake. TFTC!!!!
:anibad::rolleyes: