Cache owners - a call to monitor your cache's lack of SWAG?

You only have one chance at a first impression. My own personal experience is that some cache owners just let the Swag run out, and do not ever monitor or refill. It almost resembles laziness or lack of respect to other cachers. That being said; I know it is also the responsibility of the visiting cachers to trde equally from their perspective. IN a perfect caching world, there should be no need to refill a cache of swag....but this is the USA. Beyond the swag or lack of swag, we cache owners need to remove the garbage on occasion. I have tossed parts of toys, broken erasers, or just plain trash. I cannot tell you how many sig cards I have tossed over the years becasue they were just nasty.

So...back to the first impressions issue... I took my 3 nieces out for their first cache experience this past week. only 2 of the 10 caches had any swag. All were small or regular in size. One of them I had visited in April, and there was no swag in it then, so I dropped some items in it. Three months later, It was empty again less a couple of those dry packs to soak moisture up. So I tried to tell my nieces that there is actually swag to trade in caches, but I fear they were not totally convinced. So, Do any owners check and reload? I know my friend carries a lot of extra SWAG to load up caches as he finds them empty so kids can enjoy the hike even more. I guess this thread/post is 50% rant 50% request to get more on the ball and visit your cache on occasion. Maybe atleast every spring, as here in Michigan Summer is the busy time for caching. I guess I just am of the team that thinks there is more to this than dropping micros and caches that you never go back to...you just archive once there is an issue. MAINTAIN THE CACHES MY BROTHAS AND SISTAS!!! We are in danger of becoming our own worst enemy when it comes to the growth of caching.

Thats all. Cache on... :lol:

My responsibility (and even this is really optional) as cache owner is to stock the cache when I hide it. Your responsibility, as cache finder and swag trader, is to trade even or up, and to use your head regarding what that really means. It is not my responsibility, as cache owner, to ever restock my cache. I provided you with the seed, now it is up to you to make sure it grows.

There is way too many topics on this. People have to get over it. It is not about the stuff you get its the hunt for it.

Considering that there are many topics on this, it seems obvious that it is not just about the hunt and that trading for SWAG is a bit part of the game for some people, especially kids. Sadly, it's not going to change so people will, as you say, "have to get over it". Most likely, the way they will get over it is to stop caching.

I have brought an additional piece of swag or two to restock when I'm checking on one of my caches, but I don't make special restocking trips.

I think any cache owners who make an effort to keep their caches well stocked are going above and beyond, which is great. But that doesn't make COs who don't do this lazy or disrespectful. Just my 2 cents.

There is way too many topics on this. People have to get over it. It is not about the stuff you get its the hunt for it.

Considering that there are many topics on this, it seems obvious that it is not just about the hunt and that trading for SWAG is a bit part of the game for some people, especially kids. Sadly, it's not going to change so people will, as you say, "have to get over it". Most likely, the way they will get over it is to stop caching.

I dont get it. What are people looking to find that is so great that the only reason they cache is for swag. If those people care so much for the SWAG that they would consider quitting frankly we are better off without them.

I dont get it. What are people looking to find that is so great...

A can of beans, perhaps?

7b8b1214-9747-4506-abd2-8b3c31c6a858.jpg

why keep recharging a cache with swag?

so someone can post on the forums that they are SICK of mctoys... or (plug in your favorite swag to find)?

so some punk can come and take all the swag without trading at all?

so the cycle can be repeated in 3 weeks/months?

so someone can refer to the contents as "garbage" and "worthless"?

MAINTAIN THE CACHES MY BROTHAS AND SISTAS!!! We are in danger of becoming our own worst enemy when it comes to the growth of caching.

Let me see if I have this straight, I place a cache full of choice items, the following visitors eventually reduce it to trash and I'm to blame for this? I have to keep placing choice items, ad nauseam so that I make a good impression to save geocaching?

There are caches that are improperly placed, placed without permission, crack and soggy, completely missing - and the owner won't take care of it and I'm supposed to feel bad that swag gets depleted.

Forget it.

I have noticed that most cachers don't mention whether they took or left swag in their posts. About all you get is "TFTC". Geocaching etiquette says that if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value. If cachers followed that rule there shouldn't be any problem if you stocked your cache with quality SWAG in the first place. But alas not everybody follows caching etiquette. Then you have to deal with the differences of opinion as to, "What quality SWAG is?"

I dont get it. What are people looking to find that is so great that the only reason they cache is for swag. If those people care so much for the SWAG that they would consider quitting frankly we are better off without them.

I think that people are looking for a small souvenir to remember the good time they had while hunting the cache. I don't cache much anymore but I have a few pieces of SWAG that I enjoy having as a reminder of the fun I had in the past while looking for caches. When I was actively caching, I always tried to leave more than I took and often left two or three pieces for each one that I took. I don't think that it's the CO's responsibility to keep the cache full of good stuff but I wish the community as a whole was better about it. I definitely fall under the category of "people who care for the SWAG" so I guess I'm one of those people that you are better off without.

You only have one chance at a first impression. My own personal experience is that some cache owners just let the Swag run out, and do not ever monitor or refill. It almost resembles laziness or lack of respect to other cachers. That being said; I know it is also the responsibility of the visiting cachers to trde equally from their perspective. IN a perfect caching world, there should be no need to refill a cache of swag....but this is the USA. Beyond the swag or lack of swag, we cache owners need to remove the garbage on occasion. I have tossed parts of toys, broken erasers, or just plain trash. I cannot tell you how many sig cards I have tossed over the years becasue they were just nasty.

Last I checked I cache for the cache - not the swag. No matter what it always disappears.

You only have one chance at a first impression. My own personal experience is that some cache owners just let the Swag run out, and do not ever monitor or refill. It almost resembles laziness or lack of respect to other cachers.

As has been mentioned before, putting trading items in caches is optional not mandatory. I am not interested at all in the trading aspect and I prefer swag-less caches. Therefore, I decided to neither equip any new caches nor replacements of old caches that disappeared with trading items.

Anyone can decide for which reasons he/she is wanting to visit a cache. Those interested into trading items will not be fully happy with my caches and the same is true for me when I encounter a cache with a box full of swag that is even hard to close for me due to the many items.

Cezanne

When my daughter first came across a cache, it was filled with swag She showed it to me' when we were hiking through that area. For a while she really liked seeing what people had left and trading now and then, but most caches were rather depleted and it was a hit or miss type of thing. She lost interest in the game.

So when I began to place caches I stocked them with things that she or I might like to find in a cache, that might make the game a little more fun for kids. But at a cost between $20-$150 a cache, I quickly gave up on replenishing them. If I am doing maintenance I will take a few items with me and remove the garbage. There are certain themed caches that I like to replenish from time to time. But other than that, it's the responsibility of the people who find them.

My responsibility (and even this is really optional) as cache owner is to stock the cache when I hide it. Your responsibility, as cache finder and swag trader, is to trade even or up, and to use your head regarding what that really means. It is not my responsibility, as cache owner, to ever restock my cache. I provided you with the seed, now it is up to you to make sure it grows.

How do you handle maintenance? Do you take out all the junk and if it means an empty cache, leave the cache empty? Personally, that's OK with me, I like a clean/neat cache with no junk, ready for a bauble or two from my swag bag.

As a CO I like to re-stock 2-3 times per year. We have a dog-theme cache that I take pride in having at least a few dog-themed items in there - usually about 5 items, and I remove the non-dog things regularly. We also have a university box that I like to re-stock with university-themed stuff (pins, magnets, pencils). The comments we get in the logs about the well-stocked and cared-for caches are worth the extra time and money we put into them.

MAINTAIN THE CACHES MY BROTHAS AND SISTAS!!! We are in danger of becoming our own worst enemy when it comes to the growth of caching.

Don';t even get me started on this topic.

I set a new cache last week and it is a puzzle cache and I went to check on it after 2 finders. Both the FTF'ers and the second finders swapped out my nice new shiny decent swag in exchange for leaving travelling geocins ... go figure!

(The swag was worth about £7.50 and included pathtags, keyrings, shoe laces, pin badges a toy car etc.)

One finder even put they removed the toy car to make room for the geocoin they were leaving!!!!!!

I was so annoyed at the time I swore I shall only hide nanos and micros in future! I have calmed down now and went and restocked the cache last evening, but please, don't assume cache owners don't care!

Don't tar everyone with the same brush please!

I think that people are looking for a small souvenir to remember the good time they had while hunting the cache.

Exactly.

I'm not looking for anything amazing. In fact I don't like finding expensive (anything over $5) stuff in the cache. I don't carry anything worth that much money to trade. Plus I would just go out and buy the valuable stuff - why take it from a cache?

I look for handmade stuff and little realistic plastic animals. A little souvenir to make the hunt a little more fun. And something that I can display in my cubicle to start up a conversation about geocaching.

But first and foremost the COs responsibility is regular maintenance that includes cleaning out the cache of junk/trash and leaving a clean cared-for cache. If they want to play Geo-Santa, that's icing on the cake. Even a couple of decent dollar store trinkets is a nice gesture.

It's not about how fast you get jaded either...

I didn't read the OP as a complaint, more like a rally cry. I try to practice the art of cache karma- leave a cache better stocked that I found it and hope that others will do the same.

We each have our own interpretation on how geocaching should be played. However, I believe it is absolutely the responsibility of the geocache owner to perform regular maintenance on their geocache which also includes replenishing the swag. Granted, everyone who finds the geocache should do their part to help maintain the swag quality. However, if the geocache owner places a geocache with swag in it, then it is up to that geocache owner to replenish the swag when it falls below standards.

To put it more clearly, I absolutely positively agree that each person who finds a geocache has the responsibility to trade evenly, and to promote quality swag. However, if the condition, or quantity of the swag deteriorates, then it is ultimately up to the geocache owner to perform maintenance on that geocache, and to bring the swag up to standards.

My opinion only. :lol:

How about this: instead of whining that "the kids aren't having any fun because there isn't a prize to give them", try teaching them that THIS IS LIFE. IT ISN'T FAIR. There won't always be a prize. If there happens to be swag in the cache at the end, then great-- trade up or even. If not, you still found it and that is worth something. Kids these days are severely stunted when it comes to the sense of entitlement, my generation included. :lol: Patience and perseverance are more valuable prizes than a crappy plastic McToy.

However, if the geocache owner places a geocache with swag in it, then it is up to that geocache owner to replenish the swag when it falls below standards.

please do point me in the right direction where "swag standard" is defined

We each have our own interpretation on how geocaching should be played. However, I believe it is absolutely the responsibility of the geocache owner to perform regular maintenance on their geocache which also includes replenishing the swag. Granted, everyone who finds the geocache should do their part to help maintain the swag quality. However, if the geocache owner places a geocache with swag in it, then it is up to that geocache owner to replenish the swag when it falls below standards.

To put it more clearly, I absolutely positively agree that each person who finds a Geocache has the responsibility to trade evenly, and to promote quality swag. However, if the condition, or quantity of the swag deteriorates, then it is ultimately up to the Geocache owner to perform maintenance on that Geocache, and to bring the swag up to standards.

I agree with Knowschad on this one. If I put out a nice cache in a good spot, and it has plenty of swag, I have no responsibility to replenish it ever. Heck I don't even need to put any swag in to begin with.

I have seen a couple of caches where the CO said all he had was a container, but had nothing but a log book in it when he found the perfect spot to hide it. One of those was an ammo can.

I will often add a little swag to a cache I find that is getting low. I will also replenish my own when I do maintenance on them, (if I remember to bring anything along.).

I rarely ever trade anything in a cache, but I usually carry some swag just in case. However, I have gone with others who trade all the time and it is a big part of the fun to them. I understand the whole trade thing, but refuse to make it my responsibility.

How do you handle maintenance? Do you take out all the junk and if it means an empty cache, leave the cache empty? Personally, that's OK with me, I like a clean/neat cache with no junk, ready for a bauble or two from my swag bag.

As a CO I like to re-stock 2-3 times per year. We have a dog-theme cache that I take pride in having at least a few dog-themed items in there - usually about 5 items, and I remove the non-dog things regularly. We also have a university box that I like to re-stock with university-themed stuff (pins, magnets, pencils). The comments we get in the logs about the well-stocked and cared-for caches are worth the extra time and money we put into them.

I have restocked my caches... all I'm saying is that it is my option, not my responsibility. And as I said, if cachers would obey the "equal or better" mantra, the only time that sort of maintenance would be required would be if the cache was muggled or otherwise compromised.

Really?!? You mean, because I gave a gift once, that I must keep giving it?!? If I put out an $8 ammo can and fill it with $30 worth of stuff, and that gets reduced to an old golf tee, some rocks, and a soggy, expired coupon, that it is my responsibility to spend another $30 on stuff for people to take with them? I don't THINK so!!

My opinion only.

Really?!? You mean, because I gave a gift once, that I must keep giving it?!? If I put out an $8 ammo can and fill it with $30 worth of stuff, and that gets reduced to an old golf tee, some rocks, and a soggy, expired coupon, that it is my responsibility to spend another $30 on stuff for people to take with them? I don't THINK so!!

My opinion only.

Shared by other lazy, disrespectful cache owners the world wide. (me being one of them)

I always thought this game is geocaching, not geoswagdistribution. I guess I still have much to learn

If swag really didn't matter there would never be a complaint about micros in the woods taking up a spot where a regular size container would fit.

I always thought this game is geocaching, not geoswagdistribution. I guess I still have much to learn

If swag really didn't matter there would never be a complaint about micros in the woods taking up a spot where a regular size container would fit.

Oh, I agree swag matters to some, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I didn't realize that putting out a cache is for distributing swag to everyone who comes along and that I have to keep it stocked regularly. Sarcasm intended, but not aimed at you.

Personally, I'm happy when cache owners change wet or full logs, and replace lost or damaged cache containers.

Edited by Chrysalides

Interesting thread. i've come to dislike any SWAG of any kind. Some has been junk, some nice items but i don't like taking any. Just creeps me out. i have left SWAG in te first 10 caches i found because i had trinkets that had meaning to me and i thought i *had* to leave something.

When i hide my first cache it will be an ammo can or similar size since i live in a small town with woodsy spots. Do i *have* to fill it with SWAG? Can i just leave a log?

Or is that against rules or etiquette?

This is a good point. And what's more, the amount of threads from folks complaining about too many micros would indicate that folks like larger caches because well... they can hide swag in them. Why else? If all you need is a logbook then don't complain about there being only micros.

That being said... yes, there are too many threads on this and this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. I've put out my perspective on several other threads (one going on concurrently), so I'll give my "NI!" and be on my way.

To the OP, I know the search function stinks, but try reading through a couple of pages of the most recent topics, and you'll find a few good threads going on about this right now. In fact, one of them has taken a great turn and folks are describing what they would LIKE to find in caches rather than complaining, it's pretty awesome.

I don't believe cache owners need to be an endless font of stuff for other people. I appreciate that they take the time effort and whatever money it takes to put out the caches they put out. If the swag vanishes or degrades such is life.

For the caches that I think are cool and that need a little help in the swag department I take some initiative to give it a little love. I don't do that with every cache I stumble on (mostly the ones that are solid containers that are maintained in really cool places get the love).

And I don't think cache owners need to worry about keep people's children entertained while they're out caching.

How about this: instead of whining that "the kids aren't having any fun because there isn't a prize to give them", try teaching them that THIS IS LIFE. IT ISN'T FAIR. There won't always be a prize. If there happens to be swag in the cache at the end, then great-- trade up or even. If not, you still found it and that is worth something. Kids these days are severely stunted when it comes to the sense of entitlement, my generation included. :anibad: Patience and perseverance are more valuable prizes than a crappy plastic McToy.

Although I've been known to leave SWAG in caches with kids in mind even when I'm not trading, I must admit that I really like this post.

How about this: instead of whining that "the kids aren't having any fun because there isn't a prize to give them", try teaching them that THIS IS LIFE. IT ISN'T FAIR. There won't always be a prize. If there happens to be swag in the cache at the end, then great-- trade up or even. If not, you still found it and that is worth something. Kids these days are severely stunted when it comes to the sense of entitlement, my generation included. :anibad: Patience and perseverance are more valuable prizes than a crappy plastic McToy.

that just about sums up my thoughts too

its not about the numbers, its not about the swag is about spending time with family, friends or just with yourself....the trip to the cache, finding it and signing the log is what makes the game fun

Edited by t4e

So...back to the first impressions issue... I took my 3 nieces out for their first cache experience this past week. only 2 of the 10 caches had any swag. All were small or regular in size. One of them I had visited in April, and there was no swag in it then, so I dropped some items in it. Three months later, It was empty again less a couple of those dry packs to soak moisture up. So I tried to tell my nieces that there is actually swag to trade in caches, but I fear they were not totally convinced. So, Do any owners check and reload? I know my friend carries a lot of extra SWAG to load up caches as he finds them empty so kids can enjoy the hike even more. I guess this thread/post is 50% rant 50% request to get more on the ball and visit your cache on occasion. Maybe atleast every spring, as here in Michigan Summer is the busy time for caching. I guess I just am of the team that thinks there is more to this than dropping micros and caches that you never go back to...you just archive once there is an issue. MAINTAIN THE CACHES MY BROTHAS AND SISTAS!!! We are in danger of becoming our own worst enemy when it comes to the growth of caching.

Thats all. Cache on... :anibad:

Not your personal GeoSanta.

If the cache that I'm doing was properly built. As in the cacher took time to paint it,hide it in a good location etc. I will put some swag back in. I carry a 1 qt size ziploc bag with me with various swag items in it. I do however make it a point to restock my caches. Granted I only have four hides out right now. I decided to make it a point to only restock the caches that are very close to my house. As time goes on and my hide count goes up I will have to trust that my fellow cachers will pay it forward like I do. I also try to help repair caches that are in very bad condition. I would like think that other cachers would do the same for me. I enjoy trading swag just as much as I enjoy finding the cache. So as for me whats five bucks worth of swag. I mean a fast food meal is five dollars or more. So if that means I spend a little $ to make someone else have an awesome day thats prefectly fine by me.

Edited by Shrekito

If swag really mattered, finders would trade up. Even trading even would be considered poor form.

I don't refill my caches when they become depleted - I'm not going to spend money on things to put in a cache knowing that people will not trade fairly for it. And if cachers are going to trade unfairly then they need to prepare to deal with the consequences of that behavior. And if they care more about the swag than the hide then that's not of any concern to me - I really doubt they're the kind of person that's going to be trading fairly anyways.

As a cache owner my responsibility begins and ends with the log book. I don't feel the need to bribe people to come to my caches.

Edited by aniyn