Garmin GPX Management

Other than swapping flash cards to load larger GPX files, is or will there be a way to select which GPX files are loaded when firing up my Garmin Oregon 300 other than manually inserting different flash media or replacing the GPX file on the GPS? I have a local GPX which has 1975 caches max which works well for around our home, but for grab and go for hiking, it'd be nice to have other GPX files to load easily. Are the flash cards my only option at this point?

somegeek

Nope so far the only way for the oregons is to swap to a different card with a different gpx file.or change the names on the card.Luckily my phone uses a micro sd as well so what I have done before is loaded multiple gpx files and change most of them to a different extension and only left one as a gpx file.When I need to swap in a different one I just pop the card in my phone and change the extesions of the file.Its not as nice as having it on the gps but it is teh best option for me right now.

Edited by CrazyOn2Wheels

I have a local GPX which has 1975 caches max which works well for around our home, but for grab and go for hiking, it'd be nice to have other GPX files to load easily.

somegeek

Do you actually "see" all 1975 caches in your GPX? I was under the impression that the Oregon 300 and 400 had a 1000 waypoint (cache) limit.

Do you actually "see" all 1975 caches in your GPX? I was under the impression that the Oregon 300 and 400 had a 1000 waypoint (cache) limit.

geocaches and waypoints are different things on the oregons. you can have 2000 geocaches AND 1000 waypoints on the [34]00s.

with my nuvi 500, i have a large card.. i just plug into the laptop and move things around.. i made another directory where it doesn't load from (hide_this or something inside the garmin folder).. i just move things from there to the gpx directory..

works great you just need a laptop and a usb cable..

I use an etrex vista hcx with a 2gb memory card and poiloader. I have loaded 4000 custom POIs. Are you loading directly into the units internal memory or to the card? I assume that the big new fancy expensive oregon does more than my simple old plain jane etrex unit.

geocaches and waypoints are different things on the oregons. you can have 2000 geocaches AND 1000 waypoints on the [34]00s.

Thanks! I had been worrying about bumping into a 1000 cache ceiling!!! DOH!!!!!