Travel bug hotel

slimjim!

A Travel Bug Hotel is a cache that is usually set up near an interstate exchange or other area that would see lots of traffic, especially traffic traveling great distances taht one can drop their Travel Bugs in in hopes it will be picked up and moved far. They are simply normal caches that the owner designates as a "TB Hotel". They are made for getting Travel Bugs moving. If you are getting on the interstate to go 2 states over, grab a TB and take it along!

I generally disagree with the TB Hotel idea for a couple of reasons:

1) They are mostly placed in high-traffic areas (Rest Stops, Truck Stops, etc), witch gives them a high propensity to get muggled. Since it is a cache made to hold TBs, that's possibly several TBs gone for good on one fell swoop.

2) Most TB hotel owners insist that if you take a TB, you need to leave a TB. This is bunk. a TB is NOT a trade item, and may be taken without leaving anything, as long as you help it on it's mission. That means (if one was to abide by the CO's rules, which I wouldn't) that if a cache finder doesn't have a TB to trade, he/she must leave all TBs in the cache, letting them languish in a box instead of traveling from cache to cache.

Edited by Pork King

It's just a name that can be attached to any large cache which has been placed in a convenient, easily accessible location. The skill required is to place it so that it's a quick and easy find but only by geocachers, not muggles. It needs to be close to a parking spot, but not so close that it will be found by someone taking a 'comfort break' and should be concealed so that any activity at the cache itself is blocked from casual observervation.

Regarding The Regal Porcine's comment (2) above, as he says, ignore any restrictions that you might see about trading trackables one-for-one. Just take any or all that you can help on their journeys. I think that most reviewers these days will not publish a TB Hotel cache which has such restrictions on the cache page but there are older caches around that still have them.

MrsB

Please, before placing any TB Hotel, read these forums, and find out how to do it right. And do not place restrictions on Trackables moving in and out. The goal of the trackable supersedes the rules of the cache owner.

More trackables have gone missing due to poorly placed "hotels" being stolen. Choose your placement well. And they are best if not placed on the interstates, ie: in a rest area, but off the exits in a nearby park. Let people can stretch their legs on a long trip.

Just an idea I've seen from some travel bug hotels I've visited, but why not put a lock on it? I've seen ones that look like some type of public works box (e.g. an electrical box, water main, etc.), which is a good way to hide it in plain sight as most people won't question an electrical box with a lock on it. Just include the combination in your cache description for cachers and the travel bug hotel is almost muggle-proof (assuming they don't have some mad lockpicking skills and a nefarious desire to cause blackouts ;)).

Just an idea I've seen from some travel bug hotels I've visited, but why not put a lock on it? I've seen ones that look like some type of public works box (e.g. an electrical box, water main, etc.), which is a good way to hide it in plain sight as most people won't question an electrical box with a lock on it. Just include the combination in your cache description for cachers and the travel bug hotel is almost muggle-proof (assuming they don't have some mad lockpicking skills and a nefarious desire to cause blackouts ;)).

What does it have to do with travel bug hotels?

Nothing is foolproof. A local cache that did just that had the lock destroyed. What happens if the lock fails and won't close, or open? Gotta think about that. Plus having a cache that looks like an electrical box could cause problems. They find one like it, and the next cache they look for is near a real electrical box. They assume it's the cache, and potentially hurt themselves, or cause damage.... just something to think about.

There's a TB hotel cache near me that's kept pretty much safe by being on private property, the front yard of a house (I'm assuming it's the CO's house!) The description assures cachers that the neighbors know about it, and won't think anything of random cars stopped with someone rummaging through their neighbor's landscaping.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I am SO happy to read this!!!

do not place restrictions on Trackables moving in and out. The goal of the trackable supersedes the rules of the cache owner.

This has been a burr under my saddle for ages! Restrictions on TBs in TB Hotels. Totally defeats the purpose of a TB!!

Just venting: I went to one TB Hotel that had 4 TBs in it (recently dropped by the CO). I had read the cache description on this one many times (as I had to drive past due to lack of hunting time). Finally got to stop and found it. I took 2 of the 4 because I could move them 100 miles. When I hiked back to my car, I happened to notice a recent EDIT on the cDescrip that said "1 for 1 to keep inventory" :mad: I know that wasn't on the original description! So I had to hike back to the cache to take them back because I didn't have a TB to TRADE. (In the meantime, a cop came by and checked out my car...I could see him from the cache.)

And just this past weekend I saw a cache with two TBs listed in it and I was going to get one so I could drop it at this TB hotel since I drive past it every week. ....'til I saw it said "want to keep 2 TBs in the cache at all times." :mad: So I couldn't retrieve any according to the CO.

So I'm glad to know that I CAN pick up a TB despite a restriction. Restrictions make no sense and it's good to know GS sees it that way too. Although I can also see that breaking a restriction could lead to a pissed off CO. :unsure:

Thanks for the common sense stance on that! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just saw this on a TB Hotel place in Jan. of this year:

Please only take one if you plan to leave one. I'd like to keep at least 6 travel bugs in the cache at all times.

I thought I saw where reviewers are supposed to be removing these restrictions before a cache is published. I just can't seem to get a TB to move because I don't already HAVE one to "trade." I don't get it....

Edited by PlantAKiss

Please only take one if you plan to leave one. I'd like to keep at least 6 travel bugs in the cache at all times.

I thought I saw where reviewers are supposed to be removing these restrictions before a cache is published. I just can't seem to get a TB to move because I don't already HAVE one to "trade." I don't get it....

Yes, reviewers are supposed to remove such restrictions before publishing caches but sometimes they accidentally miss them and sometimes the restriction is added back in by the CO after publication. If you come across these restrictions on any so-called "TB Hotel" please email the publishing reviewer to state your concern.

MrsB

Yes, reviewers are supposed to remove such restrictions before publishing caches but sometimes they accidentally miss them and sometimes the restriction is added back in by the CO after publication. If you come across these restrictions on any so-called "TB Hotel" please email the publishing reviewer to state your concern.

MrsB

Seems like a request rather than a requirement so I don't see anything wrong with it.

MrsB

+1

MrsB

Seems like a request rather than a requirement so I don't see anything wrong with it.

While the CO is indeed being polite, there is no mistaking the intention here which is a 1 for 1 trade and wanting to keep a stash of 6 TBs in the cache at all times. Otherwise those statements would not be in the cDescrip. I think many people think it's not a "hotel" unless there are a bunch of TBs in it.

Is there a link to an article of Groundspeak mentoining the fact that 'hotels' are against the official rules? I can't really find it.

I would like to use that link when a TB-prison owner is complaining about taking TB's without placing new TB's in his prison.

Thanks in advance.

I agree that hotels aren't violating any guidelines. My question was indeed incorrect.

I was looking for official guidelines mentioning trading restrictions of caches. I found the post you just mentioned, but if I'm not mistaken, this is not an official GC post.

Well, this one, also referenced by Eartha, does say:

"TB Hotels: A 1:1 rule is a cache rule on some caches, not a TB rule. Don't let TB's linger too long just because someone wants their cache stocked with other people's TB's. The TB's do not belong to the cache owner. (Send them a link to this thread if they complain)". :)

I wouldn't want to get Eartha ticked... :laughing:

"TB Hotels: A 1:1 rule is a cache rule on some caches, not a TB rule. Don't let TB's linger too long just because someone wants their cache stocked with other people's TB's. The TB's do not belong to the cache owner. (Send them a link to this thread if they complain)". :)

Ok, I won't tick of Eartha, but I still find it strange there's nothing mentoined by GC itself.

Is there a link to an article of Groundspeak mentoining the fact that 'hotels' are against the official rules? I can't really find it.

No, 'hotels' are not against the official rules, because by traditionals, the cache listing has no meaning anyway. You don't need to read listing at all by traditionals :)

Ok I have a question. What is a travel Bug Hotel?

0bc2649a-70ed-4841-a2b6-7ae7e2eb4259.jpg

0bc2649a-70ed-4841-a2b6-7ae7e2eb4259.jpg This is the TB Train Station. It has a combination lock on it and you have to read the hints on the cache page for the combination. I move a lot of travelers due to the fact I travel a lot. People know this and drop off Travel Bugs often.

Edited by GaryM53

There is no mention that "hotels" are against any guidelines.

- It's simply a name someone gives their cache. That's all.

What is against the guidelines is a CO's requirements for trading, and that's listed in the pinned thread What should new geocachers know about trackables? in this forum.

I agree that hotels aren't violating any guidelines. My question was indeed incorrect.

I was looking for official guidelines mentioning trading restrictions of caches. I found the post you just mentioned, but if I'm not mistaken, this is not an official GC post.

Um, I think you meant GS (Groundspeak) and that link takes you to a thread posted by a Groundspeak Lackey on the Groundspeak forum.

Ok, I won't tick of Eartha, but I still find it strange there's nothing mentoined by GC itself.

As I said, I think by "GC" you mean "GS", meaning Groundspeak. A "GC" is usually used to refer to a geocache.

Another Grounspeak resource, other than these forums, is the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

There is a section for Trackables:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

But it's quite simple really...trackables are not swag. The guidelines about trading swag do not apply to trackables.

Anyone who owns a cache that declares a "one to one" rule about trackables is not complying with the accepted fact that trackables ARE NOT SWAG.

Anyone can name a cache a "tb hotel". It means nothing. It's just a name, not a cache type.

When the cache owner posts a trackable restriction, then it becomes a trackable prison.

There is no reason to comply with the demands of a cache owner.

You aren't trading trackables. You are meant to move them on, complying with the trackable owner's wishes and intent.

B.

This is the TB Train Station. It has a combination lock on it and you have to read the hints on the cache page for the combination. I move a lot of travelers due to the fact I travel a lot. People know this and drop off Travel Bugs often.

Chain link fencing usually tells me to ignore a cache. Three strands of barbed-wire atop it would probably tell me to turn around and go the other direction.

What is against the guidelines is a CO's requirements for trading, and that's listed in the pinned thread What should new geocachers know about trackables? in this forum.

So when a travel bug's page says "NO TB HOTELS or EVENTS", I should interpret that as "no obligation to do 1:1 swaps" or "do not put this in a cache whose owner asks for 1:1 swaps"?

I haven't been to an event yet, but should I honour that request too?

Thanks.

So when a travel bug's page says "NO TB HOTELS or EVENTS", I should interpret that as "no obligation to do 1:1 swaps" or "do not put this in a cache whose owner asks for 1:1 swaps"?

Thanks.

It means that the trackable owner has had bad experiences with his/her trackables being placed in caches with "tb hotel" as the name, and bad experiences with trackables being dropped into Events, and never retrieved or logged properly. Events are often "black holes" into which trackables get lost.

If the trackable owner states quite clearly that they don't want their trackables dropped into so-named "tb hotels" or into Events, then please respect their wishes and don't do it.

The trackable owner's wishes/mission statement is the one directive you should comply with as much as possible.

Not dropping their trackable into a "tb hotel" or Event is a wish that is easy to respect.

B.

Thanks.

I'd simply honor the TO's wishes (it is their trackable...), by not placing it in a cache that either calls itself a "hotel" , or one with a cache page mentioning trackable trading.

I haven't dropped a trackable (often laying in a pile of others) at events in years, seeing what happens to many afterwards.

- Events long archived, but the trackable inventory still shows plenty - now in limbo...

There's a surprising amount of folks who don't understand that a Cache Owner has no claims to trackables that pass through his cache.

Trackables are owned by the TO, and their wishes should be met if possible.

Edited by cerberus1

This is the TB Train Station. It has a combination lock on it and you have to read the hints on the cache page for the combination. I move a lot of travelers due to the fact I travel a lot. People know this and drop off Travel Bugs often.

Chain link fencing usually tells me to ignore a cache. Three strands of barbed-wire atop it would probably tell me to turn around and go the other direction.

The combination lock is on the back door of the cache. The fence is behind the cache. When we first placed the cache we had a bird pen behind the chain link fence with exotic pheasants for the children to see. To the right were 25 different colored Pea Cocks.The cache was outside my office window.

Thanks.

It means that the trackable owner has had bad experiences with his/her trackables being placed in caches with "tb hotel" as the name, and bad experiences with trackables being dropped into Events, and never retrieved or logged properly. Events are often "black holes" into which trackables get lost.

If the trackable owner states quite clearly that they don't want their trackables dropped into so-named "tb hotels" or into Events, then please respect their wishes and don't do it.

The trackable owner's wishes/mission statement is the one directive you should comply with as much as possible.

Not dropping their trackable into a "tb hotel" or Event is a wish that is easy to respect.

B.

OK, I agree with the general principle (that COs shouldn't specify 1:1) and the TO's right to specify, but some (many?) COs seem to use (AFAICT) "TB hotel" just to mean "cache big enough to hold a lot of trackables" --- if the cache description doesn't say that it's a "1 in, 1 out hotel", is it OK?

I haven't dropped a trackable (often laying in a pile of others) at events in years, seeing what happens to many afterwards.

- Events long archived, but the trackable inventory still shows plenty - now in limbo...

There's a surprising amount of folks who don't understand that a Cache Owner has no claims to trackables that pass through his cache.

I haven't been to an event yet, but is it possible and OK to log such a trackable as visiting an event?

OK, I agree with the general principle (that COs shouldn't specify 1:1) and the TO's right to specify, but some (many?) COs seem to use (AFAICT) "TB hotel" just to mean "cache big enough to hold a lot of trackables" --- if the cache description doesn't say that it's a "1 in, 1 out hotel", is it OK?

It really doesn't matter what the cache description says.

Caches named "tb hotel" are not secure. They attract a lot of traffic, and trackables left in them disappear at an alarming rate. Not all of them, but enough to make it a problem.

Check the logs of any "tb hotel" caches near you. How many say that there are no trackables? How many have lots of trackables in the inventory?

If the trackable owner says "no tb hotels", then.....don't put their trackable in a tb hotel.

B.

I haven't been to an event yet, but is it possible and OK to log such a trackable as visiting an event?

Yes, you can log a "visit" for the event. That's okay.

Just don't let it out of your hands.

What we are saying is that "dropping" a trackable into an event, and leaving it for someone else to "retrieve" is where the trouble starts.

Check out any recent events near you. Is the event over for more than a week or two? Are there still trackables listed in the inventory?

B.

Um, I think you meant GS (Groundspeak) and that link takes you to a thread posted by a Groundspeak Lackey on the Groundspeak forum.

As I said, I think by "GC" you mean "GS", meaning Groundspeak. A "GC" is usually used to refer to a geocache.

Another Grounspeak resource, other than these forums, is the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

There is a section for Trackables:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

But it's quite simple really...trackables are not swag. The guidelines about trading swag do not apply to trackables.

Anyone who owns a cache that declares a "one to one" rule about trackables is not complying with the accepted fact that trackables ARE NOT SWAG.

Anyone can name a cache a "tb hotel". It means nothing. It's just a name, not a cache type.

When the cache owner posts a trackable restriction, then it becomes a trackable prison.

There is no reason to comply with the demands of a cache owner.

You aren't trading trackables. You are meant to move them on, complying with the trackable owner's wishes and intent.

B.

Yes I mean GS. And yes I'm still a newbe, just logging for a month or so. So please forgive my ignorance.

The link http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=148 indirectly mentoined that 1-to-1 trading restrictions of TB's is against the rules.

That's the only hint I could find, but still not directly mentoining that TB 1-to-1 trading restrictions are against the rules.

Yes, the forum post is posted by a Groundspeak resource, but you could understand that 'just' a forum post will not be seen as a guideline if it's not in the middle of all the other guidelines in the help center. Off couse every normal thinking person knows TB's are brought into the game to travel, but if guidelines are not mentoined properly in the help center of GS (not GC :)) this will cause discussions.

Again don't get me wrong I agree with all of you regarding this subject. I just want to say GS should explicitly mentoin this on the website, instead of 'just' a forum post.

I'm done with this discussion, it's not going anywhere. Conclusion: TB are created for traveling, 1-to-1 trading restrictions should not be honored, this rule is not mentoined properly on the GS website only on these forums. Thanks for all the replies.

What we are saying is that "dropping" a trackable into an event, and leaving it for someone else to "retrieve" is where the trouble starts.

Check out any recent events near you. Is the event over for more than a week or two? Are there still trackables listed in the inventory?

That makes sense, thanks. The idea of dropping a trackable at an event sounded pretty flakey to me anyway!

I hadn't visited a TB hotel for the sole purpose of dropping off TBs before, and finally got around to doing an experiment. I dropped off 6 TBs in two rest stop TB hotels. The results so far, 3 weeks later: One is missing (no log, but a cacher has since said there are no TBs in the cache); two are still sitting around, and have gotten discover logs with the note "I didn't take it because I didn't have anything to trade." The others were all logged; one has gone nowhere, but the other two have traveled 2,500 miles with an awesome cacher. He's dropped off one and is taking photos at earth caches with the other. I got really lucky with those!

That's all aside from the listed inventories in those caches that have been missing for who knows how long, of course. Though honestly, I don't think it's worse than what I see with caches not designed as TB hotels.

Actually, I just checked on a recent event (which I unfortunately couldn't attend): it shows 86 items under "view past trackables" and nothing still left in the inventory. Is that unusually good?

How does dropping a trackable at an event work? Is there a big bowl people put them in and take them out of?