I am leaving geocaching......

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know--It's my own dadgum fault!" :anibad:

How clever of Groundspeak to change Jimmy Buffet's language and replace it with Bobby Bowden-speak! I'm impressed! Is that automated or does a moderator have to do it??? There should be some notice that this has been done, so as not to provoke misquotation issues. Neither I nor Mr. Buffet have ever, ever used that word. We're from south Florida and Gators, not the Panhandle and Seminoles...

Automated nanny software. Unless the poster knew it was gonna happen so just typed dadgum to start with.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know--It's my own dadgum fault!" :anibad:

How clever of Groundspeak to change Jimmy Buffet's language and replace it with Bobby Bowden-speak! I'm impressed! Is that automated or does a moderator have to do it??? There should be some notice that this has been done, so as not to provoke misquotation issues. Neither I nor Mr. Buffet have ever, ever used that word. We're from south Florida and Gators, not the Panhandle and Seminoles...

Automated nanny software. Unless the poster knew it was gonna happen so just typed dadgum to start with.

NO! I quoted the lyrics correctly, as best I can remember them with my Margarita-soaked brain! :lol:

NO! I quoted the lyrics correctly, as best I can remember them with my Margarita-soaked brain! :lol:

I wonder what genius chose "dadgum" to substitute for "dadgum". I would have chose "Durn" I think that's closer and not so regional...

I think once the OP gets over the girl and the association of geocaching to her, he can once again enjoy caching. I once fell in love with a barmaid and she done me wrong, but it didn't take me all that long to get back to the taverns...Get back on the horse and all.. BTW, "dadgum" plays heck with the Iambic Pentameter...

Not a good analogy. Geocaching is not essential to most people. Alcohol, on the other hand...

BTW if I remember correctly (google backed me up) the correct word to use there is the one that the forum would replace with "darn", not "dadgum".

It's automated and has been in place for quite some time.

To UtahnBirder and M.A.D. Cows,

Please do not be influenced by the portions of Ashnikes' post that talked about Groundspeak's volunteer team. He is mistaken both on the facts of the tangible rewards given to us, and on our motivations for volunteering our time.

I do not volunteer to feed my ego. I do not volunteer to ingratiate myself to the Lackeys at the Lily Pad. I do not volunteer to gain power over other geocachers by moderating them in the forums or by archiving their caches.

I volunteer because I am passionate about helping other people and about promoting this great sport.

The fact that I receive a few free t-shirts, geocoins and other perks doesn't affect that answer.

Want to know a secret? That is the same reason why the Lackyes love their jobs. They love working to serve the geocaching community. The OP has no concept of the depth of that love of the game and the commitment of the Lackeys, from Jeremy all the way down to the receptionist at the front desk. I do. They are my friends.

The model would not work without the Lackeys, and it would not work without the volunteers. Both groups know this, and we work closely together in an atmosphere of friendship and respect.

Wow. That was a really well written reply, and I want to say thanks for taking the time to so eloquently share your take on the situation with us.

Those of us who don't spend a great deal of time on the forums/at GS events aren't so hip on all of what goes on, so it's nice to hear the inside scoop.

Any time written or spoken words are used it is considered verbal. Letters, instant messaging and texting is considered verbal.

I'm not sure where you get this from. Because a term is used in popular parlance to mean something other than it was originally intended to, does not change it's meaning.

According to Merriam-Webster, one of the defining characteristics of the word verbal is "Spoken rather than written".

I think once the OP gets over the girl and the association of geocaching to her, he can once again enjoy caching. I once fell in love with a barmaid and she done me wrong, but it didn't take me all that long to get back to the taverns...Get back on the horse and all.. BTW, "dadgum" plays heck with the Iambic Pentameter...

Not a good analogy. Geocaching is not essential to most people. Alcohol, on the other hand...

BTW if I remember correctly (google backed me up) the correct word to use there is the one that the forum would replace with "darn", not "dadgum".

By gosh, you're right! I'm nursing 8 fire ant stings obtained while hiding a cache yesterday (FTF got stung too) :anibad: with Wild Turkey American Honey right now. Oh, and Durn is just the southern version of darn...

Want to know a secret? That is the same reason why the Lackyes love their jobs. They love working to serve the geocaching community. The OP has no concept of the depth of that love of the game and the commitment of the Lackeys, from Jeremy all the way down to the receptionist at the front desk. I do.

To be paid to do something you are passionate about is truly a Blessing.; Most of us are stuck doing crappy meaningless jobs for people who don't appreciate us and shouldn't be our bosses... (not me of course. I once was paid to write game stories for a newspaper from the Pressbox of Florida Field)

I wonder what genius chose "dadgum" to substitute for "dadgum". I would have chose "Durn" I think that's closer and not so regional...

i am still struggling to figure out what the frog (replaced by me) is wrong with that dadgum word

meanwhile i just typed an offensive f word, for testing purposes and replaced with frog, and guess what it stayed in its full glory, no attempt to censor it :anibad:

Nothing quite as fun as watching a teen tantrum when his favorite girl moves on.

Hey!

smack.gif

Show a bit of dragonly sympathy, will you? I bet you've been like that many moons ago... :lol:

(In fact... thinking about it... I wouldn't be surprised if you were very like ashnikes once upon a time...)

MrsB :anibad:

Yup. You are right. At one time I was 13 years old...

Nothing quite as fun as watching a teen tantrum when his favorite girl moves on.

Hey!

smack.gif

Show a bit of dragonly sympathy, will you? I bet you've been like that many moons ago... :lol:

(In fact... thinking about it... I wouldn't be surprised if you were very like ashnikes once upon a time...)

MrsB :anibad:

Yup. You are right. At one time I was 13 years old...

I actually think the OP is like 25 or 26... I was quite the turkey when I was young as well. Not that I'm old, being that I'm only 28, but we all go through a turkey stage I think, some at different times than others.

You have been a geocache how long? And you are already tired with the game? Maybe you need to get out some of those groups that are out there. You might even meet someone like yourself and find that both of You are more tolerable than you think.

All your points are clear and understandable ; I think that you need to take a break for some time & then give it a try one more time. If you still feel the same way, then give it up. JMO

You have been a geocache how long? And you are already tired with the game? Maybe you need to get out some of those groups that are out there. You might even meet someone like yourself and find that both of You are more tolerable than you think.

All your points are clear and understandable ; I think that you need to take a break for some time & then give it a try one more time. If you still feel the same way, then give it up. JMO

This is true... maybe there are some events going on in your area; you might make some new caching buddies! Maybe even some lady caching buddies :anibad:

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Buffett was born in Mississippi and grew up in Alabama before working in Tennessee and then finally moving to Florida as an adult. He's certainly not 'from' Florida any more than I am.

Edited by sbell111

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Buffett was born in Mississippi and grew up in Alabama before working in Tennessee and then finally moving to Florida as an adult. He's certainly not 'from' Florida any more than I am.

uhm, Yes, he is. We don't know where you're from... :lol:

I guess that depends on what your definition of "from" is. It's a broad term, but does it mean born in, or grew up in or worked in?? More likely it means where you permanently live. From.

Where is Obama "from"-- Kenya? Philipines? Hawaii? Chicago? Washington, D.C.??

It doesn't matter. I challenge you to find where Buffet has used the word "Dadgum" .

Do you have a gripe against Florida? Lame Kiffin is "from" Tennessee. Heh, heh.

What's the deal with caching solo? I'm a solo cacher and would have it no other way. I've cached with others on a few occasions but prefer to do it alone. As to the original poster my only suggestion is - Shut down the pity party and stop feeling sorry for yourself. No one but you truly cares whether you stop caching or not.

It's boring as living hell. :anibad:

Yeah -- nothing livens up my day like walking around watching other people find caches so I can sign them.

Going out on my own, when I want to, wherever I want to, for as long as I want to, with whatever side trips/breaks to drink in the view I want -- now that stuff is what's REALLY boring!

I have gone caching with a friend a time or two. It was decently fun, but I don't like feeling like my decisions have to be approved by two. I feel like I'm either dragging the other person where I want to go, or having to quit going for something because the other person wants to.

I've spent a good part of my life doing solo activities, and I rather enjoy the solitude and tranquility I find when my time is my own.

Back on the OP...

You will be back, mark my words! And no cheating of making up new accounts.

Caching alone is what I love to do! I love the trills of getting into dangerous situation all alone. Try caching alone in the middle of the night deep inside the wood! Or try hiking alone on a snowfield and one wrong step could be deadly. All of this in areas where cell phone dont work. I understand the dangers of it, but I just love doing it alone. Life will be boring for me without these type of trills.

Back on the OP...

You will be back, mark my words! And no cheating of making up new accounts.

Caching alone is what I love to do! I love the trills of getting into dangerous situation all alone. Try caching alone in the middle of the night deep inside the wood! Or try hiking alone on a snowfield and one wrong step could be deadly. All of this in areas where cell phone dont work. I understand the dangers of it, but I just love doing it alone. Life will be boring for me without these type of trills.

Actually Swine Flew should know... if he wants to share why he caches or not.

thanks for the advice,

i do actually like my caches, and some people have really liked them as well, maybe ill just leave them active, and call everything else quits for a while like you suggested.

I would love to hike and cache on more scenic parts of the country, ill be heading out to the smokey mts and or the red sand desert in a few months, so who knows, i definitely wont find a signature form her on there.

Just finished reading some of your cache pages, loved them, what a great sense of humour! These are caches that I would like to do! But.......I'm too far away.

I cache on my own mostly, but where the hides are a bit risky I join up with caching friends to do them.

I hate micros unless there is a great story and location attached to them.

:anibad:

I heard that she's sleeping with one of the moderators. :anibad:

Dang, she told me she'd stopped that. :lol:

No... that was with the reviewer. Edited by knowschad

I dont have time at the mo0ment to read everyones responses, I just had a few things to mention...

Once again it has been a very atypical day for me, story of my life.

I had a really great idea for my next hide, in the local china town around here, so keep an eye out, i got one in the works for getting approved, (once i settle this rant business) its out and ready to go, just has to be official that I am not leaving the game.

(i told you so's insert here)

I have decided to not leave geocaching, especially not over a girl, its just a minor setback i guess.

The main reason for this decision, the last three logs left by complete strangers, who probably never frequent the forums, that were left on some of my caches.

They were absolutely thrilled to find my caches, they really enjoyed them. They wrote beautiful log entries, for which i will be emailing them thanking them for such when i get back in tonight,

it dawned on me how my ideas all my life of leaving trinkets, prizes, and random stuff for complete strangers IS geocaching! I just have to abide by the international rules of the official game if i want more than a few people to find these treasures. Which I intend to.

Some weird revelation, but I thought to myself, you know I just made several peoples day, by what? leaving some treasure in the woods near my house, and telling them about it indirectly? How easy was that? I like making people happy. contrary to popular belief, especially little kids, i mean how cool is it to see a little kids face light up when they find a pirate ship as big as theyre arms reach filled to the brim with pirates, and pearls guarding a 10 gallon cooler filled with all sorts of rad treasure, in a trail laden toy junk yard?

If i were a kid i would drool a little bit. you dont even really need a gps once you enter the trails to find the cache. I have so far made all my caches family friendly, and i intend to continue that, because i feel if you enjoy it, and you have a family, at least you can take them out and hope they enjoy it too, im trying to provide you and your family an oppertunity to find some really fun generally very easy caches. I dont like DNF's on my cache page, i want people to find them.

i love hiding caches, i really love it, finding them is ok i gues,s when they are rad, but hiding caches is the fun of this game for me now, and getting awesome logs like i have been the past few days really shows the true spirit of geocachers.

you guys really are very considerate, fun loving, enjoy the small things kindof people,

and i just wanted to say thank you,

thanks to the people who have been leaving such nice comments on my cache logs, thanks to the forum members who put up with my bad day rants, and thanks to everyone who sees through the bull.... you guys are my (sad as it sounds) only real friends at the moment, due to my explosive dramatic nature, i tend to scare people away, including girlfriends, which i always regret, i dont know what to do about it, it runs in my family, i generally just avoid people all together, but that gets old some times you know?

well again,

i know i said a bunch of bad things, in anger, and heartbreak,

le sigh,

but i dont think i can leave geocaching, its just way too rewarding in a healthy way, so be on the lookout for some really bizare and creative LARGE caches in the area soon. I hope you enjoy the ones i have up at the moment, and you enjoy the ones ive got planed, and not yet planned in the future.

I dont have time at the mo0ment to read everyones responses, I just had a few things to mention...

Once again it has been a very atypical day for me, story of my life.

I had a really great idea for my next hide, in the local china town around here, so keep an eye out, i got one in the works for getting approved, (once i settle this rant business) its out and ready to go, just has to be official that I am not leaving the game.

(i told you so's insert here)

I have decided to not leave geocaching, especially not over a girl, its just a minor setback i guess.

The main reason for this decision, the last three logs left by complete strangers, who probably never frequent the forums, that were left on some of my caches.

They were absolutely thrilled to find my caches, they really enjoyed them. They wrote beautiful log entries, for which i will be emailing them thanking them for such when i get back in tonight,

it dawned on me how my ideas all my life of leaving trinkets, prizes, and random stuff for complete strangers IS geocaching! I just have to abide by the international rules of the official game if i want more than a few people to find these treasures. Which I intend to.

Some weird revelation, but I thought to myself, you know I just made several peoples day, by what? leaving some treasure in the woods near my house, and telling them about it indirectly? How easy was that? I like making people happy. contrary to popular belief, especially little kids, i mean how cool is it to see a little kids face light up when they find a pirate ship as big as theyre arms reach filled to the brim with pirates, and pearls guarding a 10 gallon cooler filled with all sorts of rad treasure, in a trail laden toy junk yard?

If i were a kid i would drool a little bit. you dont even really need a gps once you enter the trails to find the cache. I have so far made all my caches family friendly, and i intend to continue that, because i feel if you enjoy it, and you have a family, at least you can take them out and hope they enjoy it too, im trying to provide you and your family an oppertunity to find some really fun generally very easy caches. I dont like DNF's on my cache page, i want people to find them.

i love hiding caches, i really love it, finding them is ok i gues,s when they are rad, but hiding caches is the fun of this game for me now, and getting awesome logs like i have been the past few days really shows the true spirit of geocachers.

you guys really are very considerate, fun loving, enjoy the small things kindof people,

and i just wanted to say thank you,

thanks to the people who have been leaving such nice comments on my cache logs, thanks to the forum members who put up with my bad day rants, and thanks to everyone who sees through the bull.... you guys are my (sad as it sounds) only real friends at the moment, due to my explosive dramatic nature, i tend to scare people away, including girlfriends, which i always regret, i dont know what to do about it, it runs in my family, i generally just avoid people all together, but that gets old some times you know?

well again,

i know i said a bunch of bad things, in anger, and heartbreak,

le sigh,

but i dont think i can leave geocaching, its just way too rewarding in a healthy way, so be on the lookout for some really bizare and creative LARGE caches in the area soon. I hope you enjoy the ones i have up at the moment, and you enjoy the ones ive got planed, and not yet planned in the future.

Thanks for the generalized personal attacks on the forum members who also happen to be geocachers.

One ticket per customer.

I hope you will be a responsible cacher and remove all geocaches you have placed now that you are leaving the hobby (remove the containers and archive the listings).

P.S. POST LESS, CACHE MORE!

Edited by joshism

I hope you will be a responsible cacher and remove all geoaches you have placed now that you are leaving the hobby (remove the containers and archive the listings).

You are a bit behind the curve. That was yesterdays news. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. He may be back together with old what's her name.

I hope you will be a responsible cacher and remove all geoaches you have placed now that you are leaving the hobby (remove the containers and archive the listings).

You are a bit behind the curve. That was yesterdays news. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. He may be back together with old what's her name.

The big question is Was he ever with her or did he just have a geocrush?