I am leaving geocaching......

OK, so I read it all and this is what I got.

You are depressed because you broke up with your GF who was geocaching with you and are attempting geocide.

Did I nail it or what?

Its official, you are a woman, an older one, a wise one, but not entirely correct.

There were many things listed, although she is a very big factor yes. but not the whole reason.

Straw, camel's back kind of thing?

Dude, it's all about the girl. It's always about the girl. Your list doesn't mean squat if you leave out the girl issue. The fact that you listed that as last is a clear indicator that it was the #1 reason.

I understand forum moderators rarely if ever get paid, but what about the reviewers who have to review caches? thats a laborious job, and in order to do such a job you have to have a very knowledgeable understanding of the rules and regulations, a large full roledex with park rangers number,s real estate agents, insurance, police, fire etc. etc etc. you have had to have been around a while to learn all these things, and that time dedicated could take years of learning. That I think should be paid. especially with a turnaround of 72 hours.

not if the people doing it are fine with doing it without getting paid. maybe you think you should get paid if you had to be doing it, but that just means that you won't ever be a reviewer and you probably should be happy about that.

hmmm im not sure how you got me saying anything but positive things about reviewers and the absurdities of how they have enough stuff on their plates to have to play forum cops on top of that, and do not get compensated for what i thought was a job that deserves to be paid for out of the pockets of the company that asks them to do these things on its behalf.
One hour and forty seven minutes and counting.

Keystone didn't claim that you said anything negative about the reviewers. He said that was you said was just plain wrong in every respect. And he wasn't attempting to set the record straight with you, from what I could see. He was simply making sure the people that your inaccuracies may have wrongly influenced knew the truth.

he didnt really say anything except that he thinks i jump to conclusions, well dont we all?

then he went on to defend his "position" and his friends who pay him in t-shirts.

I understand forum moderators rarely if ever get paid, but what about the reviewers who have to review caches? thats a laborious job, and in order to do such a job you have to have a very knowledgeable understanding of the rules and regulations, a large full roledex with park rangers number,s real estate agents, insurance, police, fire etc. etc etc. you have had to have been around a while to learn all these things, and that time dedicated could take years of learning. That I think should be paid. especially with a turnaround of 72 hours.

I wish keystone would enlighten us a little bit on the attitude of his friends, and why they havent given him a proper job with a real W2 in the company yet? I would love to learn more about how much money they make, and where that money gets distributed, and how much it really costs to keep this site running. Then maybe I would take a different stance on the subject.

Why the hell is it your business what the working relationship between GS and the volunteers is?

If you want to quit then quit. This thread is just one more of your pathetic hey look at me grasps for attention.

You are depressed because you broke up with your GF who was geocaching with you and are attempting geocide.

Did I nail it or what?

Its official, you are a woman, an older one, a wise one, but not entirely correct.

There were many things listed, although she is a very big factor yes. but not the whole reason.

Straw, camel's back kind of thing?

Dude, it's all about the girl. It's always about the girl. Your list doesn't mean squat if you leave out the girl issue. The fact that you listed that as last is a clear indicator that it was the #1 reason.

You actually read that whole tirade? Geeze... maybe you really are a girl!! :lol:

Do yourself a favor and take the batteries out of your GPSr and place it in a box with all of your geocaching bits and pieces from your car and laying around the house. Put the box in a closet or some place that you don't go into very often and let it go for a while.

Leave your membership up and change your email preferences to not receive the newsletter and un-watch any caches that you have on the list.

Remove the reminders and let it go.

When you are ready and have healed some (you know you will never heal completely, we never do) you will maybe take a look at that box, or not, and some day will remember the thrill of the hunt and that little charge that stood the hairs up on the back of your neck when you found your first cache.

Just let it go and keep busy. A good many of us will still be here when you poke your head back in, when you are ready. Just don't quit. It's called taking a sabbatical. Getting away, for a while, from the pursuit that is consuming your sanity and feeding your depression. Since the sport and your ex is tied to unhappiness and the valid possibility of encountering her signature in a cache log, a break, long or short, would be beneficial.

If after a while you decided to start poking around in bushes and lifting light pole skirts her name should be well past the next place for your unique moniker.

Good luck and we will see you later.

thanks for the advice,

i do actually like my caches, and some people have really liked them as well, maybe ill just leave them active, and call everything else quits for a while like you suggested.

I would love to hike and cache on more scenic parts of the country, ill be heading out to the smokey mts and or the red sand desert in a few months, so who knows, i definitely wont find a signature form her on there.

I find it DISGUSTING that the volunteers are not given premium profile! I will now not buy membership because I don't want to support administration that is that unethical. I will continue to geocache, but that is just POOR.

I vote this most puzzling post of the day.

And you'd be the expert on that without doubt.

I find it DISGUSTING that the volunteers are not given premium profile! I will now not buy membership because I don't want to support administration that is that unethical. I will continue to geocache, but that is just POOR.

I vote this as the 2nd most puzzling post of the day. Thanks once again for the helpful input, TC. You rock.

thanks for the advice,

i do actually like my caches, and some people have really liked them as well, maybe ill just leave them active, and call everything else quits for a while like you suggested.

I would love to hike and cache on more scenic parts of the country, ill be heading out to the smokey mts and or the red sand desert in a few months, so who knows, i definitely wont find a signature form her on there.

Freudian?

I think you meant to say "signature from her"

I always cache alone. It is fun.

yep. did a couple hundred caches all by myself too (including one that required a 35 km hike) and enjoyed every single one of them.

Do you still regularly cache alone?

If the question is for me, the answer is yes. I hike the Bruce Trail and cache alone.

thanks for the advice,

I find this one of your most sensible idea and comment so far.

Give up the forums.

Get out into some new country.

AND ENJOY YOURSELF AND THIS GRAND COUNTRY!

I enjoy caching alone and in groups depending on the destination.

I always cache alone. It is fun.

yep. did a couple hundred caches all by myself too (including one that required a 35 km hike) and enjoyed every single one of them.

Do you still regularly cache alone?

If the question is for me, the answer is yes. I hike the Bruce Trail and cache alone.

No, the other one.

Although I'm new I would like to comment on one of your points.

Use any excuse not to pay, eh?

The Moderators and Reviewers are volunteers who have been chosen because of their exemplary history in their local caching communities.

To be selected as Reviewer you get hunted down, you don't wave your hand.

Anyone clamoring to become one, won't.

Yes, Groundspeak does provide them with a free Premium membership in exchange for their fine services.

The fact that I receive a few free t-shirts, geocoins and other perks doesn't affect that answer.

And this past weekend I personally witnessed one of those perks. With a well aimed baseball Keystone was able to dump Jeremy in to a tank of very cold water. Jeremy promised to double Keystone's salary if he missed, but the plea was for naught. SPLASH!

Edited by jholly

The fact that I receive a few free t-shirts, geocoins and other perks doesn't affect that answer.

And this past weekend I personally witnessed one of those perks. With a well aimed baseball Keystone was able to dump Jeremy in to a tank of very cold water. Jeremy promised to double Keystones salary if he missed, but the plea was for naught. SPLASH!

Worth its weight in gold!! :lol: I would have loved to see that!

And this past weekend I personally witnessed one of those perks. With a well aimed baseball Keystone was able to dump Jeremy in to a tank of very cold water. Jeremy promised to double Keystones salary if he missed, but the plea was for naught. SPLASH!

If the roles were reversed. :(:):D:):D:DB)

Worth its weight in gold!! :) I would have loved to see that!

If the roles were reversed. :D:(B):D:D:)B)

You perpetually confuse me. :lol: Put a shirt on, please, and if you would learn to express yourself in complete sentences, that also would be a great asset.

Yes, Groundspeak does provide them with a free Premium membership in exchange for their fine services.

It appears I have been MISINFORMED!!

New excuse: I just don't have the money :lol:

Worth its weight in gold!! :) I would have loved to see that!

If the roles were reversed. :D:(B):D:D:)B)

You perpetually confuse me. :lol: Put a shirt on, please, and if you would learn to express yourself in complete sentences, that also would be a great asset.

Mission accomplished.

Did I nail it or what?

aww bloody hell, youre deffinately an older wise woman, whose probably single,

do you read fortunes as well?

yes this whole overdramatic rant was 98% spawned because of her, and finding out she has been caching with other guys, who ironically enough invited me to their geo event in august, and mentioned she was going to be there, not the way to get me to an event, for future reference. but i didnt put two and two together until today, when i came across a log she signed, and signed for like three guys who she was caching with, talk about a heart crusher,

le sigh.

but all the other reasons i mentioned hold some merrit as well, just none were enough to quit, as far as leaving the forums, i guess i should huh, since i cause so much trouble here.

but wait this information is conflicting, didnt a few other people say Groundspeak could not give them a premium membership as that would be a form of payment and therefore would not make them volunteers?

but wait this information is conflicting, didnt a few other people say Groundspeak could not give them a premium membership as that would be a form of payment and therefore would not make them volunteers?

I am one thoroughly confused newb.

First off, due to my unconventional social nature,...

since I tend to "not get along" with most people...

for a game i no longer enjoy. Enough said. ...

Finally, and most important to me personally, the whole reason i got into geocaching was to have an activity to share with my (now ex, wonder why) girlfriend....

Of course bits of my personality eventually ruined even that activity...

now I just dont care anymore. So.... there you have it. ...

Sounds like you're making a good decision to get out of Geocaching. Its definitely not for you.

Of course. I'm the expert of my own vote.

Oh, dear. I mostly cache by myself. Never thought that was a reason to leave. Some how I felt you would be a quick flash and then gone. Good luck with life.

I also prefer caching by myself or with my family. I am not anti-social but I enjoy the experience more as a solo activity. Finds seem a little cheap in a group for some reason. I did enjoy the Geowoodstock experience but would not choose to cache in a group on a regular basis.

Everyone needs to decide how or if caching works for them.

+1

I cache alone a lot, frequently in the woods (and I'm female). I see more wildlife, appreciate the foliage, and just de-stress. I've also been in a few dicey situations, but heck, who wants to live life in a cocoon?

Edited by hydnsek

I am one thoroughly confused newb.

Unless it has changed (and I seriously doubt that it has) since I was a Volunteer Cache Reviewer (NatureFish) Groundspeak does in fact give them a free premium account.

That has zero bearing on them being Volunteers.

Did I nail it or what?

aww bloody hell, youre deffinately an older wise woman, whose probably single,

do you read fortunes as well?

yes this whole overdramatic rant was 98% spawned because of her, and finding out she has been caching with other guys, who ironically enough invited me to their geo event in august, and mentioned she was going to be there, not the way to get me to an event, for future reference. but i didnt put two and two together until today, when i came across a log she signed, and signed for like three guys who she was caching with, talk about a heart crusher,

le sigh.

but all the other reasons i mentioned hold some merrit as well, just none were enough to quit, as far as leaving the forums, i guess i should huh, since i cause so much trouble here.

From the old guy on the west coast, ( waiting for the dudes to measure me for the wooden suit )

It is OK to have cross gender friends. It is OK to have same gender friends and it is just as OK to have friends in the gay, lesbian, transgender communities.

Heck, she was only caching ... friends are friends ... caching friends are priceless friends.

Get out there and cache your backside off ... visit special places and make special memories ...

The best to you.

I was there! It was great!

My log and photos

397cf39d-8016-49b1-a99b-f48bcbf15c09.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry - ashnikes, sorry to see you go. I've enjoyed lurking in your threads and watching the sparring, esp. with the near-sighted dog.

The OP has twice as many posts as he does finds. When will you forum rats get it through your sad little heads that Geocaching is something that you do, not something that you just talk about.

Edited by WalruZ

[potty language and personal attack removed by moderator] you need a beer and a good woman or two to make you happy.

I still remember not being able to listen to the band Journey for years because an old girlfriend used to listen to them all the time. Not to mention, I couldn't stand white Mustangs with the black stripe down the middle because her new boyfriend drove one. So, I joined the Army and learned how to kill. Years later, I don't remember what she looked like or her birthday. But, can you believe it? I still remember her stupid number: 355-TYKA.

As for Geocaching, who cares if you don't enjoy it anymore. Many of us do. So, don't be a KillJoy. Enjoy life to it's fullest extent. Before you can be happy with anyone, or an activity, you have to learn how to love yourself. [offensive content removed by moderator]

Edited by Keystone

[potty language and personal attack removed by moderator] you need a beer and a good woman or two to make you happy.

I still remember not being able to listen to the band Journey for years because an old girlfriend used to listen to them all the time. Not to mention, I couldn't stand white Mustangs with the black stripe down the middle because her new boyfriend drove one. So, I joined the Army and learned how to kill. Years later, I don't remember what she looked like or her birthday. But, can you believe it? I still remember her stupid number: 355-TYKA.

As for Geocaching, who cares if you don't enjoy it anymore. Many of us do. So, don't be a KillJoy. Enjoy life to it's fullest extent. Before you can be happy with anyone, or an activity, you have to learn how to love yourself. [offensive content removed by moderator]

WELL STATED ...LOL, LOL