A sad tale of disappointment

TeamMoehrke

icon_frown.gif

So there I was, filling in a few of the blank spots on my list of benchmarks in nearby communities, looking along the Interstate, knowing that I could not possibly stop to photograph any I found without endangering life and limb.

As I recalled mention of a few along a now abandoned frontage road (the nearby city demolished it to make way for a golf course, of all things) I pulled into the little cul de sac, all that remains of the road. There I spotted a wing wall of a culvert under the roadway. The USGS is big on wing walls and culverts, especially along the freeway, so I sez to myself, "Better check that out..."

And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but one of those fabled 'chisled squares,' and a spray-painted 'BM' with an elevation noted.

"What ho, I best photograph this and find it in the database later!," I sez to myself. So I procede to get several swell pix of the mark and the wing wall and surroundings.

"Cool, now to find it and log it..."

But alas, the nearest I can come to matching the location are a couple of disks that are in all liklihood long gone, bulldozed out of the ground to make way for that golf course. I know where the road used to go, I ran out of gas once along that stretch about 25 years ago, and its not there anymore.

Shoot, it was going to be so cool to log one of those. Oh well.