PETITION FOR RELEASE OF ANDROID APP NOW!

I know I'll get "lameflamed" for this but I don't care. Premium members, post your support for the release of android app NOW! We've been told release by "Q1, Q2, July 4", continuously told "we want to make sure it works great b4 release" ad-nausium. Now for a little salt in the wound; Groundspeak just released a very faulty app for the stupid I-phony. Thanks, thanks a lot!

I don't care anymore.

I was pushing for it prior to getting my Android phone.

Afterwards, I discovered there are a number of great apps already out there. I'm a huge Cachemate fan. I used it for years while on Windows Mobile and Palm. It's just as great on Android.

If Groundspeak ever does get their Android out the door, I will probably look at it. But I really don't care whether they get it out or not at this point.

My phone isn't Android O/S so I won't be signing *this* petition. However I guess I should start another petition "demanding" Groundspeak to release an app for my webOS phone?

..I guess the Crackberry people can do the same..

.. & so can the WinMo folks. They've got a brand new O/S coming out real soon & are gonna want a geocaching app asap..

.. Oh hey lets not forget Nokia/Symbian :lol: they do have the largest worldwide smartphone share don't they?

And speaking of the existing iPhone app.. I hear it doesn't work perfectly with the new multitasking feature of iOS4, so those guys should pick up a petition too..

Whom am I missing? lol Everyone's petitioning, nobody left to actually Geocache :)

My phone isn't Android O/S so I won't be signing *this* petition. However I guess I should start another petition "demanding" Groundspeak to release an app for my webOS phone?

..I guess the Crackberry people can do the same..

.. & so can the WinMo folks. They've got a brand new O/S coming out real soon & are gonna want a geocaching app asap..

.. Oh hey lets not forget Nokia/Symbian :lol: they do have the largest worldwide smartphone share don't they?

And speaking of the existing iPhone app.. I hear it doesn't work perfectly with the new multitasking feature of iOS4, so those guys should pick up a petition too..

Whom am I missing? lol Everyone's petitioning, nobody left to actually Geocache :)

You've just made the case for not having Groundspeak require that all such "official" development be done in-house (or micromanaged in-house, whichever is actually the case). The only way to solve the above is either a large and dedicated application team at Groundspeak, or the (ahem) API that will never be released.

No I'm just curious why "one" O/S user group is throwing temper tantrums that their O/S isn't getting an official app quickly enough. You know there are other apps that are available that are unofficial yet don't break Groundspeaks TOU, like (for an example) GeoBeagle.

Premium members, post your support for the release of android app NOW!
Yeah, because such petitions make the software development process go so much faster...

Where's the petition for Groundspeak to wait until the Android app is ready before they release it?

I know I'll get "lameflamed" for this but I don't care. Premium members, post your support for the release of android app NOW! We've been told release by "Q1, Q2, July 4", continuously told "we want to make sure it works great b4 release" ad-nausium. Now for a little salt in the wound; Groundspeak just released a very faulty app for the stupid I-phony. Thanks, thanks a lot!

Youre wasting your time, they already have your money from the premium membership. They have no hope of making money on the app, as the free apps (take your pick, they are all good) are way too popular. I was hoping for it, but Ill continue to use what I have because it works, and its FREE!

No I'm just curious why "one" O/S user group is throwing temper tantrums that their O/S isn't getting an official app quickly enough. You know there are other apps that are available that are unofficial yet don't break Groundspeaks TOU, like (for an example) GeoBeagle.

I think the complaint is that an official Android app has been promised as "real soon now" for at least 6 months, yet it's always "a few months" away from release.

I don't even have an Android phone but if it ends the whining about there not being an official app yet, I'm all for a release today. Or an announcement that it's been canceled.

OK, I'll add my vote that they throw some more resources at the Android app and release it soon. However, I would rather my current, very reasonably priced app was allowed to do a live search for nearest caches.

" they already have your money from the premium membership."

They do not have my renewal money yet for the premium membership.

"I don't even have an Android phone but if it ends the whining about there not being an official app yet, I'm all for a release today. Or an announcement that it's been canceled."

You could always ignore any thread that mentions android if the whining bothers you.

I support the Android app being released soon.

Jim

I too, am looking forward to the android app. I don't yet know what it will do different than the geobeagle I am using now, but I assume it will be easier to add new caches and have some other features.

However, I also understand that we must be patient.

I'm thinking about buying a Droid in the near future and am very interested in a geocaching app to go with it but, I really don't want another "Windows"-esque piece of mediocre software full of bugs and shortcuts that was put out to the public just to satisfy the cry for a new toy NOW! That's what keeps MS releasing yet again more software that the consumer beta-tests and they "fix" until we can't stand any more. Sorry, but I grew up looking for quality, not quantity! Do it right, or don't do it!!! :anibad:

The site doesn't allow petitions...and even if they did, it's not like the Android devs are going to release it before they're ready. I doubt they have it ready to go and are just sitting on it waiting for an uproar.

Site feedback is now directed to the http://feedback.geocaching.com site.

Closing this in favor of http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...the_droid-ly0eo Please don't open another thread like this.