the heat and poison ivy......

been itching to get back to geocaching now that i'm done planning/having our big summer parties (first a 3 day family reunion and 2 weeks later--this past weekend, a 3 day 4th of july backyard campout/pig roast)....

but it's too hot to wear long pants to venture into the woods, and i'm worried about the poison ivy/oak i look at and get......

.....guess i just need to venture farther from home and grab some of the p and g's......(would like to get a few more cemetaries logged, but some aren't well maintained)....how do you know this before you go??

bonblu

If you're talking about the cache maintenance you can get a clue about that from need maintenance logs and other logs on the cache page.

I think he was talking about cemetaries grass being mowed, lol. There's usually no PI in cemetaries but if ou are in the south, you will still have to deal with moquitos, chiggers and biting flies.

You could try over the calf socks and bug spray, just scrunch down the socks when you're not in high grass.

I'm on the Texas Gulf coast, where it's hot and humid and rife with the mossies, and we've invested in some of those converible pants with zip-on / off legs. They're shorts! They're long pants! They're two things in one!

One thing you can do to "preview" the cache is to check it on in Google Earth. If you home in pretty closely you should get at least a general idea if it's in a parking lot or if there will be bushwhacking involved. Is that what you're asking?

--Q

Sure gives you a lot of respect for our forefathers, doesn't it? Did you know that they didn't even have air conditioning back when our nation was settled? Its true!

:lol: So true! And they were wise enough to have clever ways for handling the heat, too. There's a historical ranch near here with a log cabin from the 1800's. It was built angled to take advantage of the slightest breeze, and was constructed with a dog trot. Dad and I visited during a summer day, and it was absolutely amazing what a difference in temperature there was in that breezeway!

Nowadays we just lock ourselves up inside with the AC, and our bodies aren't able to adjust as well to the heat. Me, I don't mind the heat, but then I'm a South Texas girl from birth. My husband jokes with me about "your gills" when I don't seem to notice the humidity, and it's killin' him. :)

--Q

Sure gives you a lot of respect for our forefathers, doesn't it? Did you know that they didn't even have air conditioning back when our nation was settled? Its true!

and they also didn't wash every day, hm what am i talking about every day?....think more like once a week, but somehow learned to coexist with all the bugs we complain about this days

Edited by t4e