Tranfering finds from one account to another?

Nonprofitninja

So a few years ago my ex-fiance and I had a geocaching account together. Both the relationship and my geocaching habit sort of fell apart. Now I have a new handle all for myself and I'm back out there geocaching. I was wondering... is there a way in which I could go about logging the finds I made on my old account on this one? I was thinking about putting "found as XXXXX" and inputting the correct date. I don't know what would be the right thing to do here. :(

Additionally, I don't want to seem like I'm logging caches I did not find. If I can't do this in any proper way, I'll be just fine. But I had some good finds on that account! *grumble grumble*

Edited by Nonprofitninja

You have my sympathy. I too lost custody of the 'couple's account' and some darn good caches were there.

In my case the account had been in place before I came along but I could have pinpointed the date when I started joining in. My problem was that I was away on business a lot and he went caching without me so I couldn't just re-log all the caches within a time period. Looking at a couple of hundred cache logs and trying to remember if I was along that day or not would have been, well, just not something I wanted to do!!!

I ended up starting all over again from scratch. Sometimes I'd pull up to a cache and walk right up to it because I remembered exactly where it was, other times it was like I'd never been there before.... :( In a way it was great to start from the beginning because I could say 'mine, all mine'. My logs are all my experience, my landmarks are my achievements.

And some of those 'great caches' were just as great the second time around because they were the one's that were in neat places to visit or in the case of one up here, was just as hard to find the second time around as it had been the first time.

There is a way of going back and re-logging all those caches. First step is to make a list of all the find's that you want to re-log. Then, while logging them under your new account, you can change the date to match when you found it originally. IIWM, I'd make sure that I wrote something like 'previously logged under joint account xxxxxxxx'. I wouldn't make a point of explaining why, that isn't anyones business but yours. Yes, the find would pre-date your account creation but, oh well!!

What has happened to the original account? Is your ex-fiancé still using it for geocaching?

I'm just asking because one or the other of you can use the original account and simply change that account name to a new 'individual' name. Then all the original finds stay on that newly named account.

Otherwise, all you can do is as suggested by Team MacKenzie - a long, laborious process of re-logging.

MrsB

I don't think he plans on using that account anymore, either. But either way I'd have to re-log caches from one of my accounts. I would love to go see all the caches I once found, but unfortunately some were far away while traveling and some have since been archived, but were wicked cool when they were around. I think I'll make a point of taking my friend who I just introduced to caching (and who is SUPER enthused about it) to the old caches nearby and relogging those with them.

The good thing is, I don't have to filter through his finds v. my finds because it was a strictly couples activity so I was there for all of them.

I just didn't want to commit a geo faux-pas by relogging if that wasn't an acceptable thing to do. Sounds like my new project.

thanks for the help!

... I was thinking about putting "found as XXXXX" and inputting the correct date. I don't know what would be the right thing to do here.

While it may be a long process, depending on how many you have to go through, if this is what you want to do, it is accepted and around here some what common for various reasons.

I created my account in November 2008 on Geocaching.com but I never used it. SteelCityPA was used because I was living in Pittsburgh, PA. Well we have since moved to eastern PA towards Philadelphia, and "SteelCity" just doesn't make sense anymore now that I am finally starting to geocache since June. Is there a way I can change my username or am I always going to be SteelCityPA unless I'd create a new account?

I created my account in November 2008 on Geocaching.com but I never used it. SteelCityPA was used because I was living in Pittsburgh, PA. Well we have since moved to eastern PA towards Philadelphia, and "SteelCity" just doesn't make sense anymore now that I am finally starting to geocache since June. Is there a way I can change my username or am I always going to be SteelCityPA unless I'd create a new account?

Click here: Username Change