Water Filtration

I have been camping my entire life. I am an Eagle Scout and have only used a water filtration system on a handful of occasions. They were always provided by a leader or the camp I was attending. I am now looking to do more backpacking on my own. Its been a while since I was in scouts so the knowledge that I had learned at some point about water filtration is gone. My question is what are good water filtration systems? I plan on doing short, few day backpacking trips in the Maryland area to begin and knock the rust off. I have seen some with filters, other sterilize, some have pumps, etc..... I am looking for a a good solid system that I could use. Another point is that it will be used for multiple people as my wife and friends will go also.

Any help is much appreciated

I've been using the Katadyn Vario (http://www.rei.com/product/750927) for a few years and absolutely love it! The positives are that it has a dual-action pump so water flows when the handle is moved up AND down. It also has a selectable filtration mode - faster flow or longer life. It would be perfectly suited for shared use like you mentioned doing since it can fill a lot of water bottles very quickly. The only downside is that it may be slightly heavy for backpacking where you are trying to minimize weight. There are lighter models out there but it's not that bad...

FWIW, I always filter and never sterilize. Never been sick so it must do the trick!

Have to agree with Shiraz-Mataz, the Vario may be a good bet at group hikes, as it dispenses (up to) two quarts of water per minute.

May even get by with a Gravity bag/filter like Katadyn's Base Camp model. A slower unit, but holds two-and-a-half gallons of water. Hey, you're takin' a break anyway...

We use a Katadyne Hiker. Only the two of us normally, so (up to) a quart per minute is break time.

If the water looks iffy, we always drop in a Katadyn Micropur tablet - just in case.

The Katadyn Vario and MSR Sweetwater, among others, are decent choices. Definitely make a trip to REI or an outdoor store that will let you try out the different models available.

While the principle is the same, they all work a little differently. Some you pump, some you crank, others are gravity fed.

No these aren't always light weight, but you have to consider the amount fuel you would just for boiling water.

I've used the MSR Miox in the Army, and although there is a slight chlorine taste if you consume water right away (letting it sit for awhile does away with the problem) it works great and kills stuff that could possibly get through a filter like viruses (small chance, but a possibility). I've been looking at the Steripen. It's significantly smaller than most filters and all you have to do is stir it around in a Nalgene bottle and it kills everything. This would be pretty handy, since I travel to third world countries periodically and want to make sure I'm not going to catch the hiv from drinking out of the tap.

I have been looking at the Vario and Sweetwater that you all have suggested. Have any of you ran into the pump problem on the Vario? I have read that in the long life setting that water squirts out of all the seals but the fast pump setting works ok but gets clogged easy and has to be field cleaned a lot (some have said as much as in between quarts of water) The Sweetwater is lighter then the Vario but I have read reviews where is breaks easily as it made out of mostly plastic. I have also read a tip that may help any of with the Vario. One comment poster I read on REI.com said to use a coffee filter on the intake to help cut down on the silt clog that seems to be an issue. Thank you all for your recommendations so far. Please keep them coming.

It's a bit larger and clunky, but I've been using the First Need Purifier for several years now and have had no issues with it. No clogging, no blown seals and no funny after taste and no further additions to the water "just to be sure". If you suspect you're starting to have a clogging issue, you can backwash it from a clean source, typically the same source you're filling into. I haven't seen the need for it yet. My first filter went the full run in almost 6 years of usage before I replaced it last year.

...Have any of you ran into the pump problem on the Vario? I have read that in the long life setting that water squirts out of all the seals but the fast pump setting works ok but gets clogged easy and has to be field cleaned a lot...

Now that you mention it, my Vario did get clogged in the "long-life" setting during its first use on a recent hike. In that setting, water flow is routed through a ceramic pre-filter. I opened the filter and used some fresh water to wash off the ceramic filter and then resumed pumping on the "faster flow" setting which just routes water only through the filter cartridge. In the Vario's defense, I was pumping from a small puddle of water; it was about a half-inch deep and heavilly silted. Just bobbing the uptake tube in the water stirred up a bunch of junk. BUT - the water was crystal clear going into my bottle!

Just got back from a weekend backpack trip up Mt. Lemmon near Tucson where I took a Steripen (REI had it on sale). I was able to use it, and I can honestly say that I will never go back to the Miox or a filtration system again! It sterilized a Nalgene bottle in less than a minute and only required a little shaking of the bottle, much better than pumping or playing around with salt crystals. It's much smaller than most pumps and the only thing that needs to be replaced are some AAs, same as the GPSr. I use rechargeable NiMHs which supposedly get 200 water treatments. They're also way cheaper to replace than a ceramic filter or CR123 batteries. The kit I bought came with a prefilter to get out all the sediment, so no bandana or coffee filter stuff to deal with. The only downsides I can really see is the need for a Nalgene bottle, which I always carry in the pack along with my camelbak, as well as the possibility of machine failure, but that's possible with any filter or treatment option. It's always wise to bring some iodine just in case. I'm very impressed with this unit if its not obvious.

Just got back from a weekend backpack trip up Mt. Lemmon near Tucson where I took a Steripen (REI had it on sale). I was able to use it, and I can honestly say that I will never go back to the Miox or a filtration system again! It sterilized a Nalgene bottle in less than a minute and only required a little shaking of the bottle, much better than pumping or playing around with salt crystals. It's much smaller than most pumps and the only thing that needs to be replaced are some AAs, same as the GPSr. I use rechargeable NiMHs which supposedly get 200 water treatments. They're also way cheaper to replace than a ceramic filter or CR123 batteries. The kit I bought came with a prefilter to get out all the sediment, so no bandana or coffee filter stuff to deal with. The only downsides I can really see is the need for a Nalgene bottle, which I always carry in the pack along with my camelbak, as well as the possibility of machine failure, but that's possible with any filter or treatment option. It's always wise to bring some iodine just in case. I'm very impressed with this unit if its not obvious.

I like the idea of the Steripen and it works great for clear water, but sometimes the only source might be an algae rich pond or a stagnant pool. The Steripen doesn't get rid of the weird taste that often accompanies water from those kinds of water sources, where the filter does.

I use a steripen now and am thrilled; I will never go back to filtering. I use it with gatorade wide mouth bottles as I'm not partial to nalgene bottles. I like the idea that it kills more things than filtering does. I do also carry iodine tabs with me in case of a failure in the steripen but have not ever had to use them.

I use my steripen in conjunction with filtering. I know it’s probably overkill but filtering doesn’t address the rarely occurring virus. The steripen’s not perfect on its own. There are the algae tastes that Brian mentioned plus it doesn’t work well in turbid water. Those giardia and crypto bugs can hide in the shadow of a big dirt particle and don’t get zapped by the UV.

Eagle Scout to Eagle Scout...

In my Scouting days, we just dipped a Sierra Cup into the stream. But, those days are gone and caution is needed when you travel recreationally in the wilds.

I currently use a MSR Sweetwater System which is based on a ceramic filter and chlorine-based oxidant. The ceramic filter gets the bacteria and cysts, and the oxidant gets at the virus. The system was purchased at REI and is still available. http://www.rei.com/product/671111

I really like the idea of the mixed oxidant systems, like MSR MIOX, and if going really light, that might be fine alone. That said, my preference is still to filter first. So if I run out of Sweetwater oxidant or it expires for my MSR filter, I will continue to use the ceramic filter, and follow up the filtered water with a shot of MIOX.

BTW, interestingly, Philmont uses Micropur tablets, and in my opinion, Philmont has done a remarkable job of figuring out what works. While not my personal preference due to the required multi-hour contact time (which many users fail to follow), if its good enough for Philmont, it's probably good enough for most.

Micropur

http://www.rei.com/product/695229?preferre...D=rei_302262813

BTW, my perspective is based on nearly 30 years in the water quality business, so I do tend to prefer treatment methods that mimic what we use to treat municipal drinking water supplies, and that is usually filtration followed by oxidation (usually via chlorination).

I use a steripen now and am thrilled; I will never go back to filtering. I use it with gatorade wide mouth bottles as I'm not partial to nalgene bottles. I like the idea that it kills more things than filtering does. I do also carry iodine tabs with me in case of a failure in the steripen but have not ever had to use them.

Filtering removes, it does not kill. Oxidation and UV kill, but do not remove.

Thus, filtering followed by oxidation or UV is a great combination, but no doubt is heavier and a bit less convenient than a one step partial process.

Remember, getting the "runs" in the backcountry is a bit inconvenient too.

In my Scouting days, we just dipped a Sierra Cup into the stream. But, those days are gone and caution is needed when you travel recreationally in the wilds.

Unless your scouting days were 200+ years ago, I suspect it was a matter of luck that you didn't get sick.

Actually I still do dip my cup into a stream and drink untreated water in certain areas. As long as I pick my spots carefully I don't worry about getting sick. In the Catskills and Adirondacks I drink from springs at higher elevations where they emerge from the ground and small, swiftly moving high elevation streams with no uphill human presence along it.

Slow moving streams, any water at lower elevations, or if there is a human presence upstream I always filter.

Unless your scouting days were 200+ years ago, I suspect it was a matter of luck that you didn't get sick.

Actually I still do dip my cup into a stream and drink untreated water in certain areas. As long as I pick my spots carefully I don't worry about getting sick. In the Catskills and Adirondacks I drink from springs at higher elevations where they emerge from the ground and small, swiftly moving high elevation streams with no uphill human presence along it.

Slow moving streams, any water at lower elevations, or if there is a human presence upstream I always filter.

It’s funny you mention drinking from a spring. Moonshine Flats, the last water before the Colonel Bob summit, has a stream that flows even in the driest summers. I decided I wanted to find out where it comes from, since the stream seems to come from a dead-end box canyon. I imagined a beautiful stream of water flowing out of a crack in the rock face below the summit. Nope. It just sort of oozes out of the ground in dozens of places creating a small greenish swamp full of frogs and salamanders. By the time it gets to the Flats it’s a crystal clear babbling brook, but I don’t recommend drinking it.

BTW Brian, when are you coming out to do some real hiking? :(

Ok so I am poking an old topic of mine. I never got around to getting the water filter bc I bought a house and backpacking/hiking took a bit of a backseat for a bit as my weekends filled up with home improvement projects. Im getting ready to get back in the saddle and being equipped with my 20% off REI coupon and REI dividend payout I am ready to go get a H2o filter. I am trying to decide between MSR SweetWater ,the Katadyn Hiker Pro or the MSR MiniWorks EX Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance

For me, it feels like 200 years ago, but it was only 40. We drank out of streams and springs that ran right out of a hill. Sometimes the water was a bit murky, or tasted a bit funny, but so did water treated with halazone tablets. If the Scoutmaster was worried, we might boil it, usually over a real wood campfire, and ended up drinking a bit of ash too.

I sometimes wonder if it was purer water back then, or is it our ultra-clean lifestyles now. Hand sanitizers, filtered/irradiated/chemically treated water, medical experts warning us what to avoid, etc, may have changed what we are today. Now we need filters and steripens. Back in my day, we used something called an immune system. Yeah, we got sick, but then we developed some immunity to it.

Ok so I am poking an old topic of mine. I never got around to getting the water filter bc I bought a house and backpacking/hiking took a bit of a backseat for a bit as my weekends filled up with home improvement projects. Im getting ready to get back in the saddle and being equipped with my 20% off REI coupon and REI dividend payout I am ready to go get a H2o filter. I am trying to decide between MSR SweetWater ,the Katadyn Hiker Pro or the MSR MiniWorks EX Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank in advance

I use the Kayadyn and love it. I havent tried the other ones tho. The only downside I have ever heard about with the Katadyn is that the nozzle where you attach the intake hose is a known weak point. If you dont take care it might break off.

Edited by Niemela

Speed of the water has nothing to do with its purity. Ever hear of fast moving water in a lake? No? Does that mean all lake water is bad to drink?

It’s been just over four years since I bought my Vario, so I thought it was about time for a follow-up. I couldn’t even guess how many gallons of puddle, brook, stream, river, pond, and lake water I’ve filtered through it. I won’t rehash the features of the Vario either. I can say that the filter has been 100% reliable and effective. You might say, “So what?” Well, to begin with I often arrive at the trailhead with no water in my pack whatsoever, preferring to start my hike with fresh mountain water instead of tap water. Secondly, some of the places we go are nine hours from the car, not the best place to find out you’re going to be drinking boiled water for the rest of the weekend (I also have some tablets, but… bleh). Needless to say, I need it to work.

I should mention that I don’t always follow the maintenance directions, and for the last four years I haven’t followed the ones suggested by Katadyne at all. I never ran their solution through the pump before storage. I never put silicone on the o-rings. I never rinsed the prefilter. I did change the ceramic filter once but that’s not really maintenance. Today I changed the main charcoal filter and lubed up all the seals. Once I put it all back together I tested it and it’s working as good as new, and better than it was the last year or so.

Edited by Criminal

Took back the Sweetwater today and got the Katadyn Hiker Pro. Will report back soon on how well it works for me. Also I am very interested in the new Sawyer inline gravity filter. It has a 1 MILLION (Dr Evil laugh and pinky to corner of the mouth mauahahah) gallon guarantee for the filter.

Edited by DanTheMan81