Designation of the month - Check LW1981

WaldenRun

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Rog, what kind of trouble did you get into?

Apparently outsiders are only supposed to go onto the grounds with permission. We went thru an unmanned guard entrance, parked, got out and took some pictures. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. I got back in the car to leave when a security guard came wheeling around from the other side of the grounds and pulled up directly behind my car so I couldn't move. Asked me all sorts of questions about how I got in, what did I take pictures of, etc. He talked on his radio to someone else to verify my story about the unmanned enterance. I think he was mostly concerned about whether I took pictures of anyone (i.e. residents) but fortunately, I only took pictures of the main building with the cupola. So, after a bit he finally let me go with strict instructions to exit immediately and he even followed me there (it was only 100 feet away in an open area). He wasn't happy with me but I let him carry on and have his say and it worked out since I got out of there with a minimum of hassle. It probably gave him something to talk about for the next week or so.

I have some experience with a mental hospital and a camera, too... although it did not involve benchmarking or geocaching.

A couple years ago, a friend and I went to a neighboring town to photograph a very cool old mental hospital. It's still in use, as far as I know. Anyway, we drove in, parked, and never saw anyone. We got out and started to take some photographs, and then a security guard came out and gave me much the same treatment as Rog's experience.

She wanted to know what I was taking pictures of, and why, and who gave me permission. I suggested that the place was a public building (although I didn't know if it was or not), and since I wasn't trespassing, I could take pictures, but she told me it didn't matter. I must leave. I did ask where I might get permission, and she directed me to some offices just up the road.

I didn't bother. The place wasn't that cool.

Jamie