help going paperless with a nuvi 265wt

I never thought I was slow with computer stuff until trying to figure out how to do this with the instructions on-line, I would like to know if there is a "for dummies" way of making this nuvi paperless. We mainly cache with our etrex Legend HCx, with a lot of papers and a clip board showing sizes and other info needed. We still plan on using it as our main gps but would like to use the nuvi instead of the paper/clip board combo. Any help would be appreciated very much, thank you in advance.

That was the one I had tried to use and failed gloriously. :( I never thought anything to do with computers anymore could make me feel like a computer dummy. I kept getting errors and never did get the information on to the nuvi or at least nothing more that just the way point mark, nothing that could help me go paperless. :(

That was the one I had tried to use and failed gloriously. :( I never thought anything to do with computers anymore could make me feel like a computer dummy. I kept getting errors and never did get the information on to the nuvi or at least nothing more that just the way point mark, nothing that could help me go paperless. :(

Don't feel bad..I spent two full days on it then passed it on to my software architect husband who spent ANOTHER 12 hours on it...

Our solution?

We bought a Dakota 20 on sale for a great price...prob solved. We just down load Pocket Inquires direct, get all the notes and the first 5 logs...It has changed our GEO lives...no more struggling over the laptop late at night...

The tech page is great but very outdated...I suspect that other aspects have been updated/changed since it was posted....

A note....we did eventually find that the files were there but were hidden in an obscure file folder never mentioned...too much work and we about gave up on Geocaching all together... might be time for someone to update this page....

Edited by beelady2

the instructions are extremely accurate and easy to follow...took me all in all from the beginning to end, including getting GSAK installed and the macros, just under 30 minutes and my Nuvi was ready to go

although we don't use the NUVI for caching if we go on a road trip we load the PQ with the route caches, very handy to have them in the driving GPS

Yeah I mainly want to be able to use it for our road trips (being summer and all) and then also if while out localy we run into an issue we can get the description and size at least. With a minimum of 2 kids (1 is a 2 year old) in tow at all times it would make it easier to carry 2 gps's rather than 1 and a clip board full of papers. We also drag around our camera with us as the 7 year old really likes having all the pictures.

We are thinking of upgrading our hand held but it may have to be made a Christmas present and since the nuvi was free (work bonus for hubby) I figured we would make use of it. Now if only I can figure out how or find someone who can show me how that would be awesome. I am usually really good with computer things but this has been beating me for 2 or 3 days now.

1) Install GSAK.

2) Install Nuvi Macro.

3) Load pocket query in GSAK.

4) Install POI Loader.

5) Run macro.

That tutorial is for Pilotsnipe's macro, which is way out of date and unsupported. There are many errors with it. You are much better off using the "jjred" macro. It is up to date and has many more features.

If you are having specific problems, post them up here.

I never thought I was slow with computer stuff until trying to figure out how to do this with the instructions on-line, I would like to know if there is a "for dummies" way of making this nuvi paperless. We mainly cache with our etrex Legend HCx, with a lot of papers and a clip board showing sizes and other info needed. We still plan on using it as our main gps but would like to use the nuvi instead of the paper/clip board combo. Any help would be appreciated very much, thank you in advance.

The info in the guide that you followed should get you going and shouldn't take too long to get setup.

As red said, post specifics and I'm sure someone will help get you up and running.