Can't stay logged in on gc.com

ECplus3

For the last few days, I cannot keep my account logged in when using IE.

I enter my uname/pword and click 'login' and get to my home page. If I click anything after that I lose my login. This happens on any computer -- even ones I have never used before. It only happens in IE. I can login normally using Firefox or Chrome.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I enter my uname/pword and click 'login' and get to my home page. If I click anything after that I lose my login. This happens on any computer -- even ones I have never used before. It only happens in IE. I can login normally using Firefox or Chrome.

I haven't tried other browers yet, but I log in, and it takes me to my profile page and everything is blank and it says I am not logged in. I'm using IE 8.

I haven't tried other browers yet, but I log in, and it takes me to my profile page and everything is blank and it says I am not logged in. I'm using IE 8.

I had problems staying logged in on my laptop, thats running Firefox..

I had to clear the cookies to fix it.. that might be your problem too.

Edited by Rich1010

Exact same problem (using IE8)

Exact same problem (using IE8)

This just started happening to me this moring (IE8), but had no problems up until today.

I don't use IE because it is prone to virus attacks, I use FireFox and don't have this bad of an issue. However, I wish the timeout of the site would be lengthened so that when I come back to the site later on, I'm still logged in. Sure, I could use the 'remember me' function, but I'd rather not for security reasons. Just let me stay logged into the site without logging me out for a longer duration.

When I realized that the only browser that was not working properly with the gc website was IE8, I realized there's a simple fix. If you are having trouble staying logged in or properly viewing the geocaching.com website, there are 2 things that will probably fix this problem.

1. Under tools->internet options->privacy, click the "sites" button, type in www.geocaching.com, and set it to "always allow" cookies.

2. Under tools->compatibility view settings, type in www.geocaching.com and click add.

This fixed my problems. Hope it helps!

Sure, I could use the 'remember me' function, but I'd rather not for security reasons.

If you don't use the "remember me" function, which sets a cookie, you will be logged out when you close your browser (IE or Firefox or whatever).

If you want the site to keep you logged in through browser restarts, then you must use "remember me" AND have your browser configured to allow cookies from geocaching.com.

I haven't tested this idea fully... but it's possible that if you log in on a computer, and then leave the site and later log in at a different computer and return to the first later on, you will not be logged in on the first computer again. This might be wrong, but it seemed to be showing me that pattern.

I haven't tested this idea fully... but it's possible that if you log in on a computer, and then leave the site and later log in at a different computer and return to the first later on, you will not be logged in on the first computer again. This might be wrong, but it seemed to be showing me that pattern.

You're close to right. The log out function will log you out of all computers that you're logged into, regardless of any "remember me" options.

It is possible to be logged in to multiple computers without problem. As long as you don't "log out" on any of them, you will stay logged in to all.

However, I wish the timeout of the site would be lengthened so that when I come back to the site later on, I'm still logged in. Sure, I could use the 'remember me' function, but I'd rather not for security reasons. Just let me stay logged into the site without logging me out for a longer duration.

what timeout are you referring to?...what you mean when you come back later? as in you closed the GC page or the browser than come back again or you just let it sit open and come back later, in the latter situation there is no timeout

My wife's desk top computer, yes it's old, but it's running an updated version of Firefox, won't stay logged in either. The problem just started today. My laptop works fine. I sure hate to buy a computer just for this 1 site. I could use some help from anybody that has fixed this. Thanks

P.S. it's running XP

My wife's desk top computer, yes it's old, but it's running an updated version of Firefox, won't stay logged in either. The problem just started today. My laptop works fine. I sure hate to buy a computer just for this 1 site. I could use some help from anybody that has fixed this. Thanks

P.S. it's running XP

I got going again. I cleared the cookies even though I had already tried it when I read the previous post. I also set the browser to allow cookies for Geocaching .com. It's working for now. I can only hope it's a long time before anything else on the site changes because they tend to cause me problems. Thanks